Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solved my garage space issue
mlindner
post Apr 30 2017, 05:03 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

+1Euro911, same......medium gray on bottom, lighter gray or white on top and ceiling. You can always used the Porsche stripes in the middle. Or if you build some storage area, paint that brighter colors. And thanks for sharing the price....have fun. Best, Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
My 914
post Apr 30 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #42

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Is the floor concrete? If so, would you paint it? A fresh coat would clean it up nicely.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 30 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(My 914 @ Apr 30 2017, 05:05 AM) *

Is the floor concrete? If so, would you paint it? A fresh coat would clean it up nicely.

It is concrete and I may paint it but first I need to get all the crap that is on it off. That red stuff is built up and several layers thick. I'm not even sure what it is. I plan to rent one of those industrial buffer/polishers with some abrasive wheels and sand that crap off and go from there. I may have it painted after that or just leave it Depending on how it looks after the abrasive wheel.

Based on the other suggestions, I may do the grey and white but with Martini stripes to separate them and add some visual excitement. Plain grey with white is too boring for a proper Porsche Man cave/workshop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jul 31 2017, 02:48 AM
Post #44

I just posted an ad on Craigslist offering up spaces for rent. I haven't really been looking for other people to rent space to so far but spending over $1000 a month for unused space is cutting into my parts budget.

Let me know if you think I should change up the wording of the ad.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/prk/6243341155.html
+Quote Post
My 914
post Jul 31 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #45

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

I would shorten it up a bit to make it easier to read. I would eliminate paragraphs 3,6 and 7. Your target audience doesn't need the extra information.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 31 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

What if someone has a cool boat or a trailer and willing to pay more? Maybe an option for the right situation. Was there a price?
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 31 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 13,164

For me I would want price and a picture. Also agree with My914's comments.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 31 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #48

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What are your insurance responsibilities when offering spaces for rent? I would think that could be costly.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 31 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #49

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/storage-fac...heft-77305.html
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Dec 26 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #50

Resurrecting this thread.

To follow up on the original shop space idea. It was a major bust.

It was too far from my house to use effectively. With three boys in jr high and high school my time was very limited so I only made it to the shop once or twice a month.

I never got enough interest from other people to make it cost effective.
Consequently, I was spending all of my car parts/fix budget on rent and utilities.

The final result was 2 years, $24K+ out of pocket and zero progress on the 914 project.

"So why bring up a dead thread just to rehash a significant personal planning/finance failure", I hear you ask. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Because I have a bigger and better plan in the works. I hope to be able to post details later this week. If my plan works out, I'm having a party at my house and you are all invited.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 26 2021, 05:14 PM
Post #51

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Learned a similar lesson. Had a shop with 6 bays. Cluttered a few with my cars, rented a few. Had 2 RV spots outside, only ever rented one of those for a while.

Tried hard to make a shared tool, tinker on your car sort of thing. It was okay, but it was NOT a money maker.

We sold the building last year and bought a duplex. The duplex makes money.

Thought about investing in the Self Storage buildings. Problem is you have to have so many rented to turn a profit. Rent per sqft is low compared to living space.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 26 2021, 07:13 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 26 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Learned a similar lesson. Had a shop with 6 bays. Cluttered a few with my cars, rented a few. Had 2 RV spots outside, only ever rented one of those for a while.

Tried hard to make a shared tool, tinker on your car sort of thing. It was okay, but it was NOT a money maker.

We sold the building last year and bought a duplex. The duplex makes money.

Thought about investing in the Self Storage buildings. Problem is you have to have so many rented to turn a profit. Rent per sqft is low compared to living space.

Agreed. We have a 6,000 sq/ft brick building in Buffalo, NY and have considered some sort of auto storage/ self repair shop but I cannot forecast a profit. Still up in the air, currently we are using the space as a wood shop, but under utilized.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 9 2022, 02:04 AM
Post #53

It took me more than a week to post details because the housing market in Phoenix is crazy andthe first buyer for my house fell out 2 days before closing.

All that is behind me because I closed on my new house this afternoon. It is on a little over an acre and a 2400 sq/ft shop with all the toys/tools will be built on-site.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 9 2022, 06:12 AM
Post #54

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Wow! 2400 sq. ft. shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
FL000
post Apr 9 2022, 08:44 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

Alright, now you have my attention. Let’s see some pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Oh yeah, and congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have a modest ~900 sq ft workshop that I love, and can only imagine what 2400 sq ft would be like.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 9 2022, 12:10 PM
Post #56

Here is the listing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...87_M20596-51823

I have a crew at the house this minute tearing out the tile. We are putting in laminate flooring throughout the whole place. The red and blue walls are being replaced. Some will be the same light grey as the rest of the house and some will be dark grey.

Here is the rough diagram I drew up for the shop. I am open to suggestions for design changes. The yellow lines are lights and what looks like a room in the lower right will have a loft/man cave area above it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 9 2022, 12:18 PM
Post #57

Here is my current idea for the location on the property. The red border is the required set-backs. The blue rectangle is the 45 shipping container. It will go in the corner of the lot until I get the shop built and then it will go along side the shop. I am thinking of moving it to the other side of the shop from where I have it on this diagram. The grey areas are rough ideas of where driveways will go. I have two gates. One on the south side of the fence where the long driveway is and another on the east side fence where the short rectangle drive is located.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Apr 9 2022, 12:24 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 26,011

Epic! I tell my wife that when I’m done with the AF and we finally get to settle down, she can have whatever house she wants… as long as I get equal square footage in shop space lol!
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 9 2022, 07:16 PM
Post #59

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice!

I started out with a 1600 sq ft house and 1000 sq ft garage. Over the years, the houses got bigger (and then a bit smaller) but the garage always stayed about the same. I should have insisted on a square foot ratio deal.
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Apr 9 2022, 08:11 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

Ok, back in 2005, a buddy and I rented 5000sf in the instustrial park where my office and storage have been since the 80s, I got that space for 1,800 a month.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
A few years earlier a couple of friends were going to buy a building in the park to do Club House car storage, ect, one being in the insurance business, other a banker. Sadly, one got offered a job that Payed much more in another state so that killed that plan. The shared space worked well for a while, but some of the people h e hir3d for his other business, well, things started disappearing.
Next, I built a shop at home, the largest I could build was a 30x40.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
As others have pointed out, that really isn't a lot of space for multiple hobbies. So in 2018, I decided to look for a piece of property, out of the way, where I could store all my car trailers, since I pay to have my 3 enclosed trailers stored, then a few mini warehouses, that I have been in since the late 80s, early 90s. Well the beginning of 2019, I found a perfect property, about 30 minutes from me, 10 acres, secluded, well off the beaten path and had a steel building already.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Price was $135k, but instead going straight to my bank, I figured I would sell one of the 911s so I could keep the cost to what I currently spend, bad move, the property sold a day lat e r (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:56 AM