Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Mounted 3rd Brake Strobe Light, A few pics, video and contacts, $7.94 total!
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 26 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Finally attached an LED high mount 3rd brake light. Added a strobe module to make it really pop.
Attached Image

Attached Image
Here's a short video of it in action. If you watch it in slow mo, you can see the LED lights come on significantly before the car's incandescent brake light bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQ6msHbFbA

I drilled holes in the LED side mounts so I could use small screws to attach it to the underside of the targa bar instead of just the sticky tape on it. The small holes in the curved mounts' exterior allow screwdriver access to the screws inside the mount. I had to remove the engine lid to allow my drill to fit under the targa bar to drill the small pilot holes for the mounting screws. I ran the thin LED dual wire lead up through another small hole drilled through the LED mount and into the targa bar. Then the wire goes out through a small hole drilled under the rear targa bar chrome trim. After adding a dual wire extension, I ran the wire along under the rear targa trim to the edge trim, then down under that piece. I got the wire into the engine bay through a small downward hole under the side trim and through another small hole in the engine bay side near the trunk hinge attachment point. From there it was easy to follow the existing wire harness back to the brake light connection point. I put the strobe module in-line right there. Do not ground the negative from the LED light before reaching the strobe module since the module needs both positive and negative wires in and out. Ground the negative lead coming out of the strobe module. Finally, using a piggy back connector finishes the connection to the brake light lead without cutting any harness's. Btw, here's a link to the LED light at Amazon for $1.85 and free shipping! Don't know how the can do that!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-14-LED-Car-Aut...Nv4&vxp=mtr

And here's a link to the strobe module for $6.09 and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/CARCHET-Strobe-Contr...e/dp/B00I4J35HY

A little wire and $7.94 and you're in business!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eriqx
post Apr 26 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

nice work! very clean.

and super-necessary considering how low and invisible I feel in the 914 on a regular basis.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 26 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

No good for me....it blocks the rear view mirror view.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 26 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 26 2017, 10:49 AM) *

No good for me....it blocks the rear view mirror view.

That's what I was worried about too Mark. Here's a pic of the mirror view from my seating position. Unless you're looking for low flying planes, I don't think the view is a problem at all.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post Apr 26 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What about flipping it over and mounting it to the grille on the engine lid cover? Putting it there would require no drilling, and should still be pretty visible to large vehicles behind the car.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 26 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #6

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(BillC @ Apr 26 2017, 03:13 PM) *

What about flipping it over and mounting it to the grille on the engine lid cover? Putting it there would require no drilling, and should still be pretty visible to large vehicles behind the car.

Thought about grill placement. It just looked more appropriate to my eye under the targa bar, and I also figuered the higher up the better for visibility. Jmo.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Apr 26 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Rather than reinvent the wheel, buy one of these. I have one on the 914 tucked up on the outside of targa bar which does not block visibility at all. No issues for 4 years. Also one on the SC inside the top of the rear window, with no impairment. I did not connect the running light wire since I didn't want the Cylon/Knight Rider thing. With the brake pressed, it provides a very bright 4 flashes before going solid red. Really like the small size, brightness and strobing. I attached with double sided 3M tape.

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

Props to the OP on his method and buget price since these cost $30 with free shipping. .
+Quote Post
RickS
post Apr 26 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,880

Pic of the light.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
87m491
post Apr 27 2017, 04:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

Given the small size, I was thinking double sided tape to mount was a no brainer. It seems what these guys use. I'll check them out, for the bikes too! Don't want to add any holes to the 914.

QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 26 2017, 08:19 PM) *

Rather than reinvent the wheel, buy one of these. I have one on the 914 tucked up on the outside of targa bar which does not block visibility at all. No issues for 4 years. Also one on the SC inside the top of the rear window, with no impairment. I did not connect the running light wire since I didn't want the Cylon/Knight Rider thing. With the brake pressed, it provides a very bright 4 flashes before going solid red. Really like the small size, brightness and strobing. I attached with double sided 3M tape.

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

Props to the OP on his method and buget price since these cost $30 with free shipping. .

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 27 2017, 05:54 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Im going to try some of the little, high strength magnets, superglued to the light.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Apr 27 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

Here is my application with a 2 foot strip inside - upper four short strips are reflectors.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Apr 27 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Apr 27 2017, 08:00 AM) *

Here is my application with a 2 foot strip inside - upper four short strips are reflectors.

Oops! here it is.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 27 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #13

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 26 2017, 01:03 PM) *

Finally attached an LED high mount 3rd brake light. Added a strobe module to make it really pop.

Looks great! Good job.

All 914's should have a 3rd brake light and probably should be mounted on the roll hoop to be as high as possible. Even then the 3rd brake light will probably only be as high as a wheel of some of those big SUV's.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 27 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #14

Oakdalecurtis

A couple of things to consider if you plan on adding a third brake light. Based on some experimentation, if you mount the light inside the rear window, you will see the reflection of the bright LED's at night when it goes on, very distracting. And regardless of where you mount it, if you can actually see the LED's go on in your rearview mirror, it will be very distracting in your mirror at night every time you apply the brakes. Just some things to think about when choosing the type and placement of a third brake light.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 27 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #15

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 27 2017, 12:28 PM) *

A couple of things to consider if you plan on adding a third brake light. Based on some experimentation, if you mount the light inside the rear window, you will see the reflection of the bright LED's at night when it goes on, very distracting. And regardless of where you mount it, if you can actually see the LED's go on in your rearview mirror, it will be very distracting in your mirror at night every time you apply the brakes. Just some things to think about when choosing the type and placement of a third brake light.

I had the same issue with the 3rd brake light causing a lot of light energy to be observed hitting the engine lid and visible in the rear view mirror.

A solution to cut down on most of the unwanted light energy is to block off the top and bottom of the lens like shown below. Either with paint or tape. This will not diminish the light output to the rear but will cut down on the extraneous light coming back into the cabin.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Apr 27 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #16

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

Hey oakldalecurtis, a trademark infringement!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , you'll hear from my attorney. good blend in job !!

BTDT

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=212499
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 27 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #17

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Apr 27 2017, 09:41 AM) *

Hey oakldalecurtis, a trademark infringement!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , you'll hear from m attorney. good blend in job !!

BTDT

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=212499

Wow Dangr, great minds think alike!
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Apr 27 2017, 11:10 AM
Post #18

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 27 2017, 07:54 AM) *

Im going to try some of the little, high strength magnets, superglued to the light.

That's how I attached mine . . . also a quick disconnect for the wiring. I can remove it all in a couple of minutes if I needed to. Going on 5 years with no problems.

Attached Image

The light is from a Volvo V70 (I think), with the same strobe module as oakdalecurtis.

BTW, I used a piece of thin mouse pad on the magnets so they won't mar the paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Apr 27 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 27 2017, 09:28 AM) *

In my case there is no negative impact on my rearview mirror images - no issue.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 27 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(anderssj @ Apr 27 2017, 01:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 27 2017, 07:54 AM) *

That's how I attached mine . . . also a quick disconnect for the wiring. I can remove it all in a couple of minutes if I needed to. Going on 5 years with no problems.

The light is from a Volvo V70 (I think), with the same strobe module as oakdalecurtis.

BTW, I used a piece of thin mouse pad on the magnets so they won't mar the paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I already have the patent. You owe me money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:48 PM