Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nine Fourteen Sex, The on going story of Love and Lust for a Machine.
914 Ranch
post Jun 18 2022, 06:16 AM
Post #541

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Enjoying my coffee and accomplishments this morning. Not to be beating my own drum this is a really cool piece of work. A couple of things still to be done. I ordered some wire and some bullet connectors which will finish it up and bring me to the installation. Fusch, Fusch, I truly believe that this is the sweetest rear of the car oil cooler installation I have ever seen.

Attached Image

And here is another accomplishment. This thread is about to go over 37,000 viewers. This is so COOL. WOW JUST WOW...
Once again thanks to all y'all for your continued support of my addiction and LOVE for my machine.

Beating my own drum ( Eeh, Aye, Aye, Aye.) To an ancient Native American rhythm.
Enthusiasm
Inspiration
Imagination
Innovation

I do feel the LOVE.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 20 2022, 12:02 PM
Post #542

This morning I hooked up all the electrical connections and fired it up. There were motors running and that made my day. Remember one of the motors is not connected so it doesn't work. Still waiting on the connectors. Happy to hear the response from the 3 of them. When all 4 motors are running I will get them straight and all running the same way.

Attached Image

So close...
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 22 2022, 10:06 AM
Post #543

I cleaned up the top of the box today. I used my Eastwood SCT and it did a wonderful job. Leaving a nice grain pattern on the hole top.
SCT in the background.

Attached Image

Still waiting on the connectors for motor number 4. Should be here any day.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 23 2022, 01:51 PM
Post #544

The connectors arrived yesterday and I installed them immediately. I then got all the motors running the same direction. I'm running into some electrical glitches so after I get all of them sorted out I will do the installation.
That is a big deal as it involves work under the dash through the hole car, pulling the plenums, finishing up the oil coolers. An oil change and reassembling the duct work and fan box. No sweat, we're going into the hottest time of the year and I will be working outside. We'll see how it goes.
Checking out batteries and I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat er, uh battery.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 27 2022, 09:59 AM
Post #545

Although it appears that nothing is happening here work on the wiring for the circuit board for the control of the sensors. Air temperature, pressure and velocity and a few other things in the car.
Remember going digital? That's still happening. There is a circuit board on the fan box and a screen on the dash going in. I don't have the ability to fabricate the boards so my neighbor Josh is doing that. He says the screen has 5 lines on it and they can each be different colors.
Two new buttons are also coming to the dash one to power up the circuit board and one for Mark Shid+#!?&tl @euro911 . Mark had mentioned at one point that it would be nice to have the rear wing adjustable from the cockpit. I have a huge servo for a flap and I am working on just that. I seems as though thru the circuit board I will be able use the flap in 3 positions. Like an adjustable Gurney Flap. I'm going to call those positions 0 None (0°) 1 Some (30°) and 2 A Lot (60°).

Attached Image

The difference between a LARGE and small servo. The adjustable flap is just for intimidation. It might even work out to be a good tool for the car.
Look, I want this car to be shocking. I want the top time racers to say, if they ever figure out how to drive that car we're all done.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 28 2022, 10:37 AM
Post #546

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Anyway you could use a speed sensor to adjust the wing for you? One less thing
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 28 2022, 10:43 PM
Post #547

Hey Paul, so here I go again off on another tangent. Sense we have a computer on board we can probably make the flap computer controlled. So it could be made flat when under hard acceleration. And up full when on the brakes. Just when I thought I was getting ahead I figured that I need to do more things to the car. Active areo WOW. Ok I will talk to Josh and we'll brainstorm it tomorrow.
We have had the fans running but it hasn't been quite correct. It seems that the 80 amp ESC is inadequate and that it might require 2 of them. When I bought the motors they came with ESC's but that meant that I had to run 4 of them and I wanted to just have 1 controller. So now I'm going to work on tying 4 of them together. So I think I am going to put it all inside the box.
More later today.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 2 2022, 10:21 AM
Post #548

Well I guess this is latter. I've taken all the wires and electronics off of the fan box and I am moving fan housings to inside the box. When I was organizing the electronics originally I was trying to use a single RSC but the complicated electronics didn't want to run the 4 motors. So now I'm going to try to make 4 ESCs work together. One of the advantages to having one ESC was that I could put in on the side of the box. Now everything has to go inside the box which means pulling the box for maintenance.
Currently I am rotting 2 of the fan housings to make all the connections on the center of the floor of the box. So just to see I connected all the motors wires up and it looks like I will be able cut down on a lot of the wires to the motors. About this much.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 2 2022, 10:26 AM
Post #549

The wiring should be much easier as all the power points will be together and I should be able to tie all the throttle wires together too.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 5 2022, 03:04 PM
Post #550

No progress yesterday or today by myself, but Josh is getting the circuit board together. Thanks you brother. Myself I was helping a friend with their boat twice and fell both times. My back is out and today is the third day after fall number one. I'm OK but quite stiff and I don't walk well yet. I have done some small things like straighting up the wiring inside the box.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 7 2022, 03:08 PM
Post #551

OK, here we go again. Sense this is the second attempt at controlling the motors I am using 4 ESC's and the circuit board to provide the correct voltage for the throttle and the rear wing flap servo. I still need to bring 12 volts to the busbar. Power from the regulator through a relay that is made hot by the ignition switch.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 9 2022, 01:53 PM
Post #552

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jul 7 2022, 02:08 PM) *

OK, here we go again. Sense this is the second attempt at controlling the motors I am using 4 ESC's and the circuit board to provide the correct voltage for the throttle and the rear wing flap servo. I still need to bring 12 volts to the busbar. Power from the regulator through a relay that is made hot by the ignition switch.

Attached Image

Oh cool, good idea. Everything hot from one spot makes it easier to trouble shoot. Peace
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 12 2022, 01:14 PM
Post #553

Thanks Paul but all the trouble shooting has to happen inside the box now. With the single ESC which was outside the box I had easy access, now I have to pull the box to do it. I still have to make it live before I can do the installation. We'll see where it goes from there.
I really want to see the fan box with the duct work installed.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 13 2022, 05:07 AM
Post #554

And there goes another thousand, 38,000 viewers.
At my anual physical the other day my Doctor says to me, " Joe how is your heart?
Me, " My hart is fine, it hasn't been broken in years."
Yesterday I started wiring for Gurney flap on the rear wing. It's going to be a little difficult.
Josh has been working on the circuit board and is making good progress.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 15 2022, 11:02 AM
Post #555

Hiding from the heat today. Working on wires for the motor controls. Trying to get the rear wing apart so I can install the servo and cut in the Gurney flap. If things don't work out, I'll make a new wing built for the Gurney flap and the servo.

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 16 2022, 11:59 AM
Post #556

Pretty cool stuff, Joe
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 16 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #557

Thanks Paul, I really think so. If everything works the way it is supposed to I'll be able to see if the scoops for the intake are aiding in airflow and the same goes for the fan box. I can add an air pressure sensor to the bottom of the air box and see if it is really dropping the air pressure under the car. Check the air speed in the plenums and at the exhaust grills behind the oil coolers. I will be able to check air temperature, pressure and velocity anywhere on the car. The readout and controls will be on the dash.

Attached Image

Today I located the Gurney flap servo. This is so COOL.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 18 2022, 06:40 AM
Post #558

Cut out the opening for the Gurney flap on the rear wing and drilled a chase for the wires. I also figured out how to hide the servo wires up to the wing.

Attached Image

I was also looking at the Gurney flap width and what you see here is 2", but I 'm thinking about 1.5" would be adequate.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jul 19 2022, 06:35 AM
Post #559

The relay gives regulated power to the ESC's. I did this yesterday and now it's about ready for a test to see if it will all work together

Attached Image.

The white paper is a pattern for the end of the air box. It needs replaced because it has to many holes in it.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 19 2022, 01:11 PM
Post #560

Very cool Joe...Let us know
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:01 AM