Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fighting allstate over cars value, help me keep my car
Mike1981
post Sep 15 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,663
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 15 2017, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Sep 15 2017, 09:32 AM) *

Sorry to hear this.

My 1st 914 was totaled as well.
I was with Haggerty

I got a check from them for agreed value no problem.

On top of this I was able to buy the car back and the title was re-issued clean not salvaged.

When I asked about it, they responded by saying there is a percentage calculation they conduct and if the damage falls between these two number they can re-issue a clean title

Having the clean title allowed me to sell the damaged car to someone who loved 914 and owned his own shop.

Hope this helps

Mike

thanks Mike, was this in Michigan? the titling issues are part of what I'm having a hard time learning about, probably since it varies from state to state.

Yes

It was in Michigan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 15 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

If you decide to have the unibody pulled and straightened, Queen City in Redmond specializes in Porsches and is the only local shop certified by Porsche to do the repairs correctly. They have a Celette table and all you need to make your baby whole again. They have worked on both my cars and wife's A6 and their work is flawless.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 17 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

My experience has always been insurance companies want to settle fast so if you aren't in a hurry, drag it out, they pay more as time goes. Also, getting an attorney involved might help, or threaten to get an attorney, tell them you have a name of an attorney, give them the name, say that's the next step.
Bottom line though is if you do your research and it's sound, stand by it, hold your ground. You will probably get 90% of what you want.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 17 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #44

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 15 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Can't help with the insurance but that can certainly be fixed by a reputable shop with a Celette bench.

There's no way i would accept a total loss on that car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I was going to suggest Scott Yeaman. Not only could he fix that, he would fight the insurance adjuster. Allstate would have no idea what the value could be. When the 'dreaded rock' incident occurred with my car, the adjuster tried to total it over the phone. Scott told him to get his tail down there and that 914 values were going up fast and mine was one of the finest he'd seen. After the guy saw the car, he didn't question anything Scott said.

I think you'd be wise to truck it down to Palo Alto.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 2 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #45

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sad story,,with a happy ending...Gold 914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0wMDJhAsc
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Feb 2 2020, 08:55 AM
Post #46

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 14 2017, 08:28 PM) *

I got hit recently. the other drivers insurance has accepted full liability (yay!) but now they are trying to declare my car a total loss.

the good news:
- they aren't arguing condition, they are categorizing it excellent
- we're in the ballpark, they are valuing it at about the amount of the repair estimate, $22k

the bad news:
- they still want to total it

I don't want to allow it to be totaled because if I buy it back and repair it and am hit again I figure it really hurts my value for the next claim (which hopefully never happens, but...).

I can find plenty of threads on choosing an insurance provider, but didn't find much on arguing value. So
- any tips/help with establishing value for cars that are in excellent shape?
- any tips/help for strategy on fighting (and winning) with one of the major insurance providers?

I'm looking to collect comps in the $28k+ range (since that's what I need to avoid the total declaration). And yes, I've got the recent $93k car from monterery!

I'm also looking into lawyer options, figuring that can't hurt. Not sure how to go about finding a good lawyer to help with an unusual car value.

any help appreciated.

..............."next claim?" just get another better company who like classic cars better.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 2 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #47

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

2 year old post
+Quote Post
FL000
post Feb 2 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

Great to see that car repaired and back on the road!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 2 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #49

914 Wizard

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 2 2020, 07:02 AM) *

Sad story,,with a happy ending...Gold 914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0wMDJhAsc

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 2 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #50

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 15 2017, 07:06 AM) *

Bradtho, I not an expert, but.......there's a statement in all insurance policies that says (THEY HAVE TO MAKE YOU WHOLE), which means what is the real replacement value.......If you tried to buy (replace) your 914 with nothing less than you have...what is that price. Is it 22k or29k. If it is 29k then your good.
I used this over the last 30 years with two small accidents I had...first one was with a Saab (it was totaled) Insurance was only willing to pay $4,500 when it was worth $6,500. To prove this to the insurance company I did all the leg work to find a replacement Saab, same year and miles. Guess what, the price to $6,800. They sent a check for 6,800. The second was last year. My 2000 VW TDI with 400,000 miles was totaled. Insurance again said it was worth 2,000. Yup, high miles but well maintained with new injectors, timing belt, new trans., etc. Showed them replacement cost would be 5,000. I agreed on 4,500 and also removed the new transmission. So, go find a car as nice as yours and use that for leaverage. Best, Mark

This will work itself out eventually. They have taken responsibility. I'm assuming you are in a loaner. Costs go up daily for them time is on your side.

The case is simple, be reasonable. You need to replace the vehicle with one equal to or better than. They will not be able to. I'd put your value over 35k and then you will not find an exact equal. Just a different version.

You can be reasonable as long as they are. If they can't resolve this to your satisfaction you can bring in a attorney. Most will do a free consult (check with the WA Bar association for a list) it may cost your $500 for a letter, but most adjusters make money buy diminishing your claim so this a negotiation as simple as that. You need to be made WHOLE.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 2 2020, 11:37 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

So cool to see this gold 914 lived on—it's truly a great looking build, and the repairs and paint sure look good in the video. So it's in Lithuania now?
+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 2 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great to see it back on the road... We saw this car many times in Kirkland cruising the beach (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Feb 2 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #53

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 2 2020, 08:08 AM) *

2 year old post

.......Ha, I also noticed that but someone revived it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Feb 2 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry your going though this hassle.

Had a similar issue after hitting a 100 lb dog. Not as extensive as yours but still an issue that took a couple months to remedy. It can be fixed. By the way the dog is OK.

Replaced the bumper, bumper top , hood release and air dam. Damage was to the front sheet metal making the trunk/hood unable to open. Creased the fender adjacent to the hood and next to the turn signal indicator. Trunk damage at inner fender location. All was pulled/pushed out successfully. Had paint left over. Headlight bucket cover and eyebrow also painted.

After all was done you cannot tell that the car was damaged at all. Cost for insurance was $7000 and it took 6 weeks.

As it's not my daily driver I could wait.

My insurance, Progressive, made it all happen with little to no hassle for me. Helped that the shop in Columbus Ohio handles Porsche 914 work. They even had a brand new bumper in primer !!! Last one though.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 2 2020, 01:01 PM
Post #55

914 Wizard

Its revived for a happy end to the bs.Brad went through.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Lithuania

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 2 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As fare as it being totaled. The statement is " They have to make you whole".
So you find a like replacement for sale or not for sake in that good of condition etc.
Could be $28/30/35,000. And that is they have to pay you. And at the same time negotiate the buy back. I've used the whole statement three times, worked every time. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 3 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

CHeck out The Mart toward the end of each issue of Panorama magazine. Might try to get some recent back issues, too. That's why I have an "agreed upon value" insurance policy. Good luck and best wishes.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:44 PM