Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 2.7 Euro RS Twin Plug Project, sleeper 914 with a twin plug surprise
Dave_Darling
post Sep 22 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davehg @ Sep 21 2017, 01:01 PM) *
(trying to locate two rear 5 lug hubs - either aftermarket or if I can source a 911 rear).

You will need to do some finagling with the drive axles if you use 911 hubs. The spline count is different on the stub axles than on the 914.

Ping the folks at PMB Performance. They should have all the stuff you need. Most especially all of your brake needs.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 28 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The first few weeks into this project and I feel like a Costco customer who forgot to eat before he went shopping. Everything looked great, but without a plan, I'd be walking out with a shopping cart full of odds and sods - 5lb pecans, ramen, patio furniture, and a vegamatic.

So I've regrouped and decided to plan and attack this a bit more methodically. Basically - I have a mint body that needs now to be completely reassembled with all the 914 bits, and I have boxes and bins of stuff not tagged or organized, in varying degrees of restored state. Most everything needs to be cleaned, coated zinc or whatever), organized and identified, and installed in the most efficient order.

Suggestions appreciated (and thanks to mb111 for some great insights and advice). Here is the plan (in some order):

1. Body is back from the painter without any parts except headlight assembly and suspension bits to make a roller. Now is the time to nail down:

A. Internal brake lines (replace with new stainless) and Master Cylinder (19MM upgrade) - PMB is the likely source.

B. Internal Fuel lines (stainless - PMB?)

C. Oil tank - covered thanks to Ben!

2. Suspension. The car has front control arms/towers/hubs on it, and rear arms and hubs, but just enough to wheel around (no steering rack or sway bar installed). I have a separate 911 front end that I will tear down, clean/blast, and powdercoat the front control arms and rear arms, and replace various bushings. Source front struts, rear shocks. Obtain new axle shafts (PMB?) I have front 5 lug hubs , but need to deal with rears (probably drill the existing hubs/rotors - maybe PMB or Patrick).

3. Brakes - get front and rear caliper rebuilds from PMB, misc. braided lines. Replaced reservoir. Tear down, blast, powdercoat and reassemble pedal assembly. Source any replacement eBrake cables.

4. Engine. Having a 2.7 rebuilt by a mechanic friend working with a known builder, who will replace crank, rebuild top end and tweak 911s cam, and distributor. Source engine sheet metal, add PMOs. Basically get a working engine together. Already have the flywheel and 11 blade fan, need to source ignition. Likely to add mb111's stainless headers/heat exchanges and exhaust.

5. Driveline - Pretty sure I have a sideshift 901 but address any bushings/linkage.

6. Electrical - I think I need a fusebox - wiring harness looks to be complete. Lights good, windshield wiper motors need to be installed, possibly some work on gauges (Palo Alto or Hollywood Speed).

I am leaving cosmetics (trim, interior, rubber, glass, door mechanisms) alone for now until I get driveable runner, and will tackle that last. Here are some misc. bits I will need later:

1. Mirrors (right and left)
2. RS style door panels
3. Dash top (or custom)
4. basket weave
5. stock radio
6. bar to mount 4 point harness (not doing a full roll cage)
7. Carpet
8. Steering wheel (Proto Tipo), and turn signal switches.
9. Various dash, door, roof trim pieces - I have bits and pieces from 2 interiors - early and late model. The body is a 71 but I've got 2 seats from a later model and the passenger half-seat from an earlier model so I'd like to figure out that part. I might be later tempted to do GT style seats and carpeted panel instead of the original rear seat back, but again, I'll figure that out when the car is a runner.

The good news - a lift gets installed in my shop next week!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 28 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dave sounds like a good list.. If Eric@pmb can't do rear rotors and hubs for you then try bruce stone or a914guy@aol.com.. Last stop is me as I have a fixture and can do this but these other guys should be 1st stops..

I can also make you engine sheet metal if you have no other alternatives..

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 28 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Get the engine started. Work on everything else after in engine is on being worked on. Did you have a plan for the engine mount? I don't remember you saying anything about it
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 5 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #25

Ok, the engine is getting started - it will be happening in parallel (by a builder friend, not me). Got sorted with a full 911 SC front end, and had the front and rear suspension pieces pulled, stripped, cleaned, and sent off to be powder coated. They should be back next week for a complete R&R. I am thinking of using the Patrick motor mount, but I need to also check to see that Ben (MB111)'s heat exchangers won't block portions of the mount. Panel Billy, would love to see yours. PM me if you are able - I'm just up Hwy 18 from you.

Sorted out the misc bits, and will be ringing PMB for lines, master, and rebuilding the front and rear calipers.

Lift delivered and installed today. It's a massive Benpak 14XL 4 poster - I would have preferred a smaller lift but I also have a large crew cab Cummins diesel long bed to lift that is way too big to put on a 9k lift (plus my concrete floors are only about 6 inches, rebar, but not enough for a 2post lift).

At 22 ft long. it consumes almost the full width of my 30x50 ft shop:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262998.1.jpg)

To get cars off the ramp, I added a cool 7k lb air powered scissor lift - the lift slides in the middle between the ramps and when weighted, it locks down into place. I added a flat metal cross member that also slides and will hold floor jacks/bottle jacks (it's the black panel by the ramps), so I just lift the car, place the jack stands, and then lift the other end. You can add two lifts and link them via an air hose kit to lift the entire car off the ramps - I will probably add another air lift but wanted to try it out first. The middle box is a 15 gallon capacity oil tray for doing oil and transmission fluid changes.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262999.2.jpg)

The ramps are like 20 feet long - I can almost place 2 914's on the lift! It's total overkill.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262999.3.jpg)

I was thinking about installing it myself but at 2600lbs shipped, I figured I'd bite the bullet, pay for the install, and save my back. It was the best money I've spent in a while.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 5 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #26

Here's a question - air compressors? I am needing something more than my tiny pumpkin compressor to handle both the air jacks, the lift, and likely a bench top blasting cabinet. Probably won't be doing any painting. Will run air tools as well as an air powered tire changer. I can run on 220 lines and have a dedicated shop panel.

I was looking at a Quincy QT5 a 2 stage 80 gallon model - it seems to fit the bill but has one drawback - only rated at 17.5 CFM. The next model up is 23CFM and considerably bigger heavier, requires an 80 amp circuit, and costs a bunch more. Even the QT5 is pretty heavy, but it's way closer to my budget.

Opinions? If it weren't for the sandblasting, the QT5 would be perfect.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 5 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'm partial to the Patrick motor mount, and I would recommend the AppBiz (on eBay) door panels if you want RS style, they do really nice stuff.

Not many good tire choices for 14" Fuchs, btw.

914 Rubber for dash top and, etc, etc, etc.......
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 6 2017, 05:16 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

QUOTE(davehg @ Oct 5 2017, 08:09 PM) *

Ok, the engine is getting started - it will be happening in parallel (by a builder friend, not me). Got sorted with a full 911 SC front end, and had the front and rear suspension pieces pulled, stripped, cleaned, and sent off to be powder coated. They should be back next week for a complete R&R. I am thinking of using the Patrick motor mount, but I need to also check to see that Ben (MB111)'s heat exchangers won't block portions of the mount. Panel Billy, would love to see yours. PM me if you are able - I'm just up Hwy 18 from you.

Sorted out the misc bits, and will be ringing PMB for lines, master, and rebuilding the front and rear calipers.

Lift delivered and installed today. It's a massive Benpak 14XL 4 poster - I would have preferred a smaller lift but I also have a large crew cab Cummins diesel long bed to lift that is way too big to put on a 9k lift (plus my concrete floors are only about 6 inches, rebar, but not enough for a 2post lift).

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262998.1.jpg)

To get cars off the ramp, I added a cool 7k lb air powered scissor lift - the lift slides in the middle between the ramps and when weighted, it locks down into place. I added a flat metal cross member that also slides and will hold floor jacks/bottle jacks (it's the black panel by the ramps), so I just lift the car, place the jack stands, and then lift the other end. You can add two lifts and link them via an air hose kit to lift the entire car off the ramps - I will probably add another air lift but wanted to try it out first. The middle box is a 15 gallon capacity oil tray for doing oil and transmission fluid changes.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262999.2.jpg)

The ramps are like 20 feet long - I can almost place 2 914's on the lift! It's total overkill.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507262999.3.jpg)

I was thinking about installing it myself but at 2600lbs shipped, I figured I'd bite the bullet, pay for the install, and save my back. It was the best money I've spent in a while.

My heat exchangers are dimensionally the same as the oem so there. Would be no reason the PMS mount would cause any issues..

+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 6 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 5 2017, 09:49 PM) *

I'm partial to the Patrick motor mount, and I would recommend the AppBiz (on eBay) door panels if you want RS style, they do really nice stuff.

Not many good tire choices for 14" Fuchs, btw.

914 Rubber for dash top and, etc, etc, etc.......

Thanks for the tip on the door panels. I am looking at something like this:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507322482.1.jpg)

The guy locally who is doing the suspension build is working on one of the most amazing GT tributes I've seen - based on a real -6 body. I am leaning towards this look for the interior - very subdued and tasteful - even though I don't have this customer's budget.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507322483.2.jpg)

The rest of the car is fantastic! Real, unobtanium oil tank/cooler lines etc used, no expense spared. The car will be phenomenal when done. Wish I had the budget.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507322699.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1507322700.2.jpg)

I hear you on the limitations of tires for the 14" Fuchs. Again, I have an outlaw 914-6 conversion with the 3.2L and it is running 9" & 8" knock-off Fuchs with Toyo tires that have amazing grip. But for this build, I really want a stock looking sleeper car - and it's not being built to autocross but just as a clean Sunday driver.
+Quote Post
gms
post Oct 6 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

Looks like Bernie's work
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 6 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 6 2017, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(davehg @ Oct 5 2017, 08:09 PM) *

My heat exchangers are dimensionally the same as the oem so there. Would be no reason the PMS mount would cause any issues..

Looking great.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 6 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #32

You guessed it, my project is “feeling the Bern.” He’s a pretty awesome builder. The 911S he did for the prior owner of my project was gorgeous!

Thanks for the info on the exchangers, glad to know they will work.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 7 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Ben’s exchangers and oil tanks will fit right in without issues. Beautiful pieces and nicer than the Vellios parts, though I give George Vellios a lot of credit for trying all the neat things he did. I wish I would have kept his catalog of things he had available back in the day.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 18 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #34

Good parts day today! Ben’s oil tank arrived (nifty!!) and the suspension bits are back from the powder coater. Found a nice gas tank too, the original was not so pristine inside.

The killer score was a mint pair of Webers and a new set of 2.7 RS pistons for the engine rebuild. It hurt to write the check but happy I am moving forward. About 3 weeks out from a true steerable runner with a complete suspension.

Panel Billy was a prince and showed up in his sweet 3.0 and we went out for a short ride. His conversion looks and sounds wonderful - those PMOs are intoxicating.

Headed to CA soon to check out my engine and put some miles on the Outlaw car. I need the inspiration to see this through. Plus the dollars : I put the Z4M coupe on the block. A wonderful and rare car but not a Porsche.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 19 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Thats great news.. I was able to find someone now to bend the GT oil lines if you decide to go that route..
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Oct 19 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #36

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 19 2017, 07:35 AM) *

Thats great news.. I was able to find someone now to bend the GT oil lines if you decide to go that route..

Ben, Are those going to be similar to the Elephant Racing lines?
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Oct 19 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 9,867

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I’m in Graham a little south of you. If you need a hand or help with something let me know. I would love to drop by to meet you or help.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 19 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 19 2017, 06:07 AM) *

Yes but allot cheaper.. Probably going with steel though..
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Oct 19 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #39

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 19 2017, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 19 2017, 06:07 AM) *

Yes but allot cheaper.. Probably going with steel though..

Yes, I see this in another thread. I don't mean to be redundant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
Looking forward to the outcome.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 25 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #40

Got a bunch of goodie boxes from PMB today! Calipers, brake lines, and a master cylinder. Excited to get underway with installing the suspension, steering and brake bits and finishing the steerable roller!

Headed down to SoCal soon to inspect the long block.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:23 AM