Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 Conversion - outlaw Street and track car project, (Was “Would you do This 1400 mile road trip?)
rhodyguy
post May 19 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Does the car have a spare that will work on all four corners? A tire failure, not just a flat, 15 miles south of Drain Oregon in the 914 was an eye opener for me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post May 19 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

I would do the road trip. I would bring plenty of water, oil, tools, duct tape, zip ties and last but not least your AAA card. The memories will last a life time.

Last year we drove to from LA to Spokane in a 911 without AC. Car ran great in 107 degree temperature.

Bring a Bluetooth speaker for some tunes.
+Quote Post
Jett
post May 19 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

... every year we drive our 73 1.7 from Seattle to San Fracisco down 101 and 1... We bring water, tools, oil, spare tire, and a good jack. Music is hard but we plug our iphone in to the stock radio and deal with the cabin noise.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post May 19 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #24

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Road trip it. Memories like that don’t present every day. Is your son into cars? If not could be a long ride. Ear plugs, AAA card, and cc with a big limit as plan B. Along with basic repair tools and parts.
+Quote Post
Unpretentious
post May 19 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,532
Region Association: Central California

Absolutely, do it! What an opportunity for adventure!!

Windows...You don’t need no stinkin windows. Drove old British sports cars for years without them. Good idea to bring what tools you think you might need, and the airline Allows.

3 years ago did a portion of the Air Head Parts Border to Border (Canada to Mexico) Treffen with my then 19 year old son. Had a great time! Did have to adjust toe on the ‘72 beetle in a USFS campground, but that was part of the adventure.

If you end up doing a CA Central Valley route for part of your journey, we’re about 1/2 hour north of Fresno. You’re welcome to lodge in our guesthouse, swim in the pool, park in a secure rural area and work on your car here if need be.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 19 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

no question, do it!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 19 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #27

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

We make road trips in a 914 yearly. Only had to bring her car home on a trailer once. Bottom end starting knocking. We have been as far west as ABQ (I can't spell that name), as far north as Salt Lake, and as far east as Atlanta. Every trip was worth it. I always have a good time on them. Bring spare parts, and tools. Almost anything is repairable, it just takes time.

Oh, and the year we came home on a trailer, I replaced the motor, and we took off again. Drove to Salt Lake City for parade. Won my AX class too. Then drove home.

+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post May 19 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

AAA Premier will tow 200 miles - 4 times per year / .....and if you're like me, you will need roadside assistance ocasionally. Once, when on the way to our home on the cali coast from Hell, Arizona,.., my C4S had a flat on the 10 freeway and I was 345 miles from home.

I called for a two hundred mile tow to a safe spot and had the car offloaded from the flat deck of the truck. Then called for another tow to get the second leg home. Te same driver showed up and dropped off the car at the Porsche dealer after dropping me off at home...... Big Tow for the guy / Big tip for the guy as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post May 19 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #29

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 19 2018, 07:33 AM) *

Ship it. Is there a functional wiper system? You can not trust the weather. Roll the car off the transport, release the hounds and cry havoc. Limited choices climbing the Siskiyous.

Rainx. Get hot over the mountains? Pull over. Drink water while you wait. Do it again, and again, until your going down hill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post May 19 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,323

ROAD TRIP! I've done a similar route round trip two times in a buddies caged, autocross/track prepared 911SC. Other than the gearing, not any different than what you're considering. Both of us would do it again in a heart beat. We actively looked for every back road we could find and saw many beautiful sights and had a great experience on the open road.

I lament for my kids that the American road trip is dead. Even when we do a long drive its in an environmentally controlled, sound deadened cabin with no connection to the world outside. They don't know that it gets colder when you get to to the top of a pass, or the refreshing feel of the cool air off a river when you've been running through a hot valley. Cruising up and down I-5 you don't get to see how people live in different towns. I think they're missing an important element of the American spirit that come from the freedom of the open road.

DO IT!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 19 2018, 06:44 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

It'll be a good day if you can make Shasta. The drive from Lancaster was a long leg. Then, up early and a push all day will get you home before dark. It was almost 3k when I got home after the WCR that started in Camarillo.
+Quote Post
Rodzilla
post May 19 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 21,985
Region Association: South East States

I would trailer it. All the benefits of a road trip with your son, none of the risk to the 914. $0.02.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 19 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #33

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I bought mine in LA. Flew from SF and drove it home. About 400 miles. Engine ran fine the whole way.

When I looked at it the next morning... All of the inner CV bolt were very loose. So loose that I doubt I would have made it another 5 miles. Could have been very bad...

Bring tools if you plan on back roads. Bring tools if you are planning main roads.
+Quote Post
warpig
post May 20 2018, 12:28 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,002

ROAD TRIP!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
I have made the trip up to PDX from SoCal and back so many times I cant remember them all.
But the one I did in the 914 and the numerous trips on a variety of motorcycles were the best of times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
Take a week and drive up the coast. Top speed will not be an issue most of the way, nice and cool sea breezes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Make some contacts ahead of time along the way in case of problems and buckle up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
If you hurry you can make it back up for the WCR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
settador
post May 20 2018, 07:57 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,086

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--Phaedrus would do the trip. Taught my now 25 year old daughter to drive in a tired '74 1.8. Used to take her and the car to Boston and Vermont from Seacoast NH. Risky? Yes. Now she can drive anything anywhere. Made her put her winter wheels on her '94 Corolla winter rat using only the tools that came with the car. Now when she and a friend get a flat deep in the Adirondacks at !:00 AM, she gets out the jack and the spare and changes the tire on the side of the road. Do the trip. Prepare, improvise and bond. Take a copy of Zen and the Art....
+Quote Post
jeff
post May 20 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,570

Straight out the 10 to the coast! It will be a wonderful trip , You should be going right by me.. Jeff 805-368-5857.. Thousand Oaks area, just 7mi off the coast..you should include Mulholland Hwy on the way home, you’ll love it..
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 20 2018, 08:49 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Do it
+Quote Post
davehg
post May 20 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 21,443

Looks like the tribes have spoken ROAD TRIP IT IS!!!

Great tips here. I can have the mechanic do a once over, and will sort the necessary stuff. I may rely on the kindness of folks here should a mishap occur.

I’ll be rockin mb111’s new sport GT prototype muffler since the stock one is toast.

I have at least 4 days back so the days should be manageable. I’m eyeing late July which means the coast would be ideal, except that Oregon coast is clogged with RVs that time of year. I may go through Lancaster, then head west, do Hwy 1, then up by Laguna Seca and head to Sacramento where my in laws reside. I really want to do Hwy 70 from Oroville to Lassen, then 44 to 299 to Eureka, up the coast into central Oregon. If the going isn’t too slow, I can stay on 101 pretty much close to Olympia. This route avoids some but not all of the heat.

Of course I’ll do a ride report.

Keep tips coming and when the date is set and locked I will let folks know and ask for contact info should stuff happen. I have a spot device too, might come in handy.

My kid is into cars, and has his permit but is learning stick. Goal in getting this car back home is to do autocross with him to improve skills.i lost my dad when I was very young so the inspiration to take this trip with my kid is very personal and strong.

No room for a spare but I will bring a air pump and tire worm kit to handle basic flats, AAA premium for most everything else.

Thanks everyone for encouragement, assistance, and tips!
+Quote Post
My 914
post May 20 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #39

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

If you think of it and have time, post a picture of the 2 of you and the car on or near the day you leave.
+Quote Post
flmont
post May 20 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

its only when your not prepared for the unexpected is a trip like that a real burden,But,when you are prepared it just adds to the story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:58 AM