Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 Conversion - outlaw Street and track car project, (Was “Would you do This 1400 mile road trip?)
RickS
post May 31 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(davehg @ May 20 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Looks like the tribes have spoken ROAD TRIP IT IS!!!

Great tips here. I can have the mechanic do a once over, and will sort the necessary stuff. I may rely on the kindness of folks here should a mishap occur.

I’ll be rockin mb111’s new sport GT prototype muffler since the stock one is toast.

I have at least 4 days back so the days should be manageable. I’m eyeing late July which means the coast would be ideal, except that Oregon coast is clogged with RVs that time of year. I may go through Lancaster, then head west, do Hwy 1, then up by Laguna Seca and head to Sacramento where my in laws reside. I really want to do Hwy 70 from Oroville to Lassen, then 44 to 299 to Eureka, up the coast into central Oregon. If the going isn’t too slow, I can stay on 101 pretty much close to Olympia. This route avoids some but not all of the heat.

Of course I’ll do a ride report.

Keep tips coming and when the date is set and locked I will let folks know and ask for contact info should stuff happen. I have a spot device too, might come in handy.

My kid is into cars, and has his permit but is learning stick. Goal in getting this car back home is to do autocross with him to improve skills.i lost my dad when I was very young so the inspiration to take this trip with my kid is very personal and strong.

No room for a spare but I will bring a air pump and tire worm kit to handle basic flats, AAA premium for most everything else.

Thanks everyone for encouragement, assistance, and tips!

Everyone along the proposed route should let Dave know where they are and can lend assistance if needed, but we know the run will be flawless.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 31 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #62

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RickS @ May 31 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Everyone along the proposed route should let Dave know where they are and can lend assistance if needed, but we know the run will be flawless.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Yes! Huge support network. And go Dave! Take lots of pics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post May 31 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Do it. My 15-year old daughter and I fly to Hartford, CT Tuesday morning to pick up a car and drive back over a couple days. I did a similar trip with my (then) 13-year old son picking up a Corvette in Pennsylvania. These are precious opportunities that should not be taken for granted! Make the time...

Tony/Cracker
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 31 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I know you meant to say "Laguna Seca to Petaluma to stop and see Chris on our way to Sacramento..."

Let us know when you'll be here!

Chris
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 2 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Less than 3 weeks before departure. I am getting psyched for this!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 3 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #66

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ear plugs, sun screen, hats, water, snacks. I cant wait until my kid is old enough for these kind of adventures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I hope for no rain.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 3 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #67

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 3 2018, 08:09 AM) *

Ear plugs, sun screen, hats, water, snacks. I cant wait until my kid is old enough for these kind of adventures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I hope for no rain.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Definitely ear plugs. Betty and I were coming back from the Atomic Ramble in ABQ. No ear plugs, MFI six with a somewhat free flow muffler. We stopped for gas. We were wondering why people kept looking at us, until we realized we were shouting at each other. Definitely take ear plugs.

+Quote Post
flippa
post Jul 3 2018, 12:42 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

Have a great trip!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 16 2018, 11:08 PM
Post #69

Less than 48 hours before we leave, and I am hurrying to gather up parts and supplies. Realized I can’t carry a spare lithium jumpstarter, nor a tire flat repair kit, through TSA so will buy those locally before we depart.

My mechanic pal has the gel coat glass hood and deck installed, so 80 lbs or so lighter. MB111’s sport GT stainless exhaust gets installed tomorrow, just in time. Hope the sound is just right.

Triple A platinum card secured, spares include relays, fan belt, throttle and clutch cables, and cause I am paranoid, a spare MSD box and coil.

Heat is the main challenge - gotta leave Palm Springs super early to beat the 104 degree heat. Hope to avoid AM traffic by heading out to Victorville and then to Frazier Park, then back roads to Hwy 101. If Big Sur is open, cross my fingers, we will stay on 1. Otherwise, 101. Need to land in Roseville for a night. From there, temps will dictate whether we hit Hwy 70 and then 44 to 299 to the coast, or beeline up to RedBluff and hit 3-36-299.

Last day is the long haul from lower Oregon coast. Not keen to stay on 101with low speeds and lotsa RVs, but temps may keep us there. The car is geared for autocross so long stints on the Interstates at 75 are no bueno.

I hope I don’t need to call on the good nature of this forum, but if I do, you have my undying thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 16 2018, 11:20 PM
Post #70

QUOTE(kahluver @ May 19 2018, 07:18 AM) *

Do it! I did this a couple of years back with my 10 y/o son. We picked to a 914 I bought on BAT and drove from Nebraska up California in the middle of summer. My 914 had windows and door panels though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

We did 1800 miles with no radio, no heater, no gas gauge in a new to me 914.

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/07/21/bat-au...adventure-home/

Read this for added inspiration. Thanks,
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 16 2018, 11:58 PM
Post #71

Just learned Hwy 1 opens 11 am on the 20th! woohoo!
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Jul 17 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 13,907
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(davehg @ Jul 16 2018, 11:08 PM) *

Victorville and then to Frazier Park, then back roads to Hwy 101.

Very fun section of roads..

Pine Canyon
Cerro Noroeste
CA 58
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 17 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #73

I need some advice from anyone familiar with the roads from Victorville to Lancaster on this stretch of Day 1: https://binged.it/2uwfjq9

The road I'm looking at is Pine Canyon Rd - wondering if this is decent and worth taking (vs. staying on 138).

Thinking I gas up once in Frazier Mountain, and again at the end of the route. I am usually seeing 20-22mpg from the 3.2, giving me a decent range between fillups.

I am avoiding Hwy 2 - it is long, may have some construction/repaving, and I want to save up energy for the rest of the trip. I've done this Hwy on a motorcycle (same with Mulholland) so nothing I need to experience.
+Quote Post
Unpretentious
post Jul 17 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 17,532
Region Association: Central California

Don’t be lured to take 101 north from SLO instead of taking 1 up the coast. Fantastic news that it’ll be open! Currently it’s 103 degrees south of King City. The entire Salinas valley can be a scorcher!!
Two summers ago I was driving the Central California section of Air Head Part’s Treffen with a friend in my ‘73 1.7. When we hit Monterey we were directed inland to the 101 because the Sobrenes fire had just kicked off in Big Sur. It hit 107 that day in the long, long Salinas Valley! It was brutal!
+Quote Post
Unpretentious
post Jul 17 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 17,532
Region Association: Central California

Actually, right now it’s 107 south of Bradley and north of San Miguel on 101! Take the coast!!

Best Wishes and have a great trip!!!
+Quote Post
Annapolis914
post Jul 17 2018, 06:43 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 18,782

Good luck on the journey.....east coast guy here with longest trip in 914 being 108 miles to our beach house. "Gusty-ballsy" (as my friends like to say) trip for you. Have fun and safe travels.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 17 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #77

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Be ready for lots of waves and thumbs up. Everyone will be smiling when they see you. You’re leading a one float parade
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 19 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #78

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I remember when everyone (including me) had a tool kit and spares for almost everything so we could fix on the side of the road.

These days its just "AAA and send it."

Defiantly agree to do the road trip.

Zach
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 19 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #79

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Where's our update?
+Quote Post
davehg
post Jul 19 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 19 2018, 09:15 AM) *

Where's our update?

Made it out of Palm Desert early today, with a short fun run up 74 to Idywild and back on 243 to Beaumont. Fun road, which was good because the next 4 hours were pretty brutal. We saw 103 and it was not fun. Cooling towels and ice water bucket helped. The best was the run from Frazier Mountain to the cutoff to Ojai, didn’t pass anyone from Pine Mountain west. Temps on the coast were very welcome. We’ve decided to stay on the coast as long as possible up into OR. Will pass through SF tomorrow. I may have to add an extra day, as we are trying to keep it the runs comfy, meaning under 400 miles.

Car is running just fine, oil temps never exceeded 210 and hover around 190. An 18 qt oil tank is to thank. Biggest challenge beside heat is noise. The ear plugs help but the exhaust is LOUD.

Kid is having a blast. Fingers crossed the car continues to shine. Pix will post later.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:42 PM