Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Southern California '75 914 repaint and refresh, Finally started after 33 years of ownership.
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

Well its been over 33 years that I have owner this car as the 3rd owner.

I have finally broken down and am getting the surface rust repaired and having the car fully resprayed. I am told it should be ready by Mid August. The car was torn down this week and the good news is that after 33 years of mud and dirt in the rockers that there is no rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Surprising, as the car first came in to the country in Chicago and wound up spending time in San Francisco before I got it.
Attached Image

The rest of the car had a few rust bubbles at the base of the windshield and on the passenger door along with the usual dents and dings that come with keeping a car in a garage with little kids opening the car door next to it or traveling the So Cal freeways and picking up misc. road debris impacts.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The car is going to stay its' original color "Ancona Blue" along with all of the appearance group finishes.

As progress continues I'll continue to update.Thanks for looking.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jul 4 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023

Good luck with the project. I hope the shop keeps his proposed schedule. The car already looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

BTW, nice collection of air cooled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 4 2018, 10:13 AM) *

Good luck with the project. I hope the shop keeps his proposed schedule. The car already looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

BTW, nice collection of air cooled (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks, it was a "20 footer" and I have tried to take car of it as best as possible but the paint is all checked. Seats are torn (also being redone.) Before reassembly I'll be doing the carpets to go with the seats with year-correct Matisse Blue tartan fabric. The other cars aren't mine. Those are the painter's and after seeing the work he did on them and the past history of renovations he has done, I am very confident in the process and timing. He only does one car at a time. Now its time to order a bunch of rubber from 914Rubber.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 4 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 4 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Well its been over 33 years that I have owner this car as the 3rd owner.

I have finally broken down and am getting the surface rust repaired and having the car fully resprayed. I am told it should be ready by Mid August. The car was torn down this week and the good news is that after 33 years of mud and dirt in the rockers that there is no rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Surprising, as the car first came in to the country in Chicago and wound up spending time in San Francisco before I got it.
Attached Image

The rest of the car had a few rust bubbles at the base of the windshield and on the passenger door along with the usual dents and dings that come with keeping a car in a garage with little kids opening the car door next to it or traveling the So Cal freeways and picking up misc. road debris impacts.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The car is going to stay its' original color "Ancona Blue" along with all of the appearance group finishes.

As progress continues I'll continue to update.Thanks for looking.

Make sure that your body shop looks into the area behind the doors below the sails and on the fender sides around the taillights for rusting from the factory foam in those spots holding moisture & rusting from the inside out. If they find any, then have them cut out the rusted sheet metal & the foam there so it won't reoccur, & then patch in 19 GA sheet metal to match the original body panels (or get the RD patch panels.

Same thing around the windshield, cowl-to-fender seams with the rubber gasket on top, bottoms of the doors under the outer door seals, up under the steering rack L & R where the MC &/or windshield washer bottle/hoses can leak down & rust trough the bottom floor of that well - which is where your steering rack attaches to the unibody, & in the hell hole & lower lip/shelf in the engine bay - especially behind the sound/heat pad.

I could go on & on, but you can use Jeff Bowlsby's checklist too - as if you're buying it all over again & doing a deep PPIn...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

You &/or they should do a thorough look through & check out all of the nooks & crannies for any rust evidence, as you did behind the rocker covers.

I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Ancona Blue! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Happy 4th! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 4 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Great time to back date those bumpers and lose the warts........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 4 2018, 10:33 AM) *

Great time to back date those bumpers and lose the warts........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

The bumbers are staying, as they are in perfect shape. Besides, it is a '75 and I dont have those extra warts on the bumbers.

Attached Image

As far as removing the side warts, I am not sure. I already have had the LED turn signals from Spoke and they work great.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 4 2018, 10:26 AM) *
Make sure that your body shop looks into the area behind the doors below the sails and on the fender sides around the taillights for rusting from the factory foam in those spots holding moisture & rusting from the inside out. If they find any, then have them cut out the rusted sheet metal & the foam there so it won't reoccur, & then patch in 19 GA sheet metal to match the original body panels (or get the RD patch panels.

Same thing around the windshield, cowl-to-fender seams with the rubber gasket on top, bottoms of the doors under the outer door seals, up under the steering rack L & R where the MC &/or windshield washer bottle/hoses can leak down & rust trough the bottom floor of that well - which is where your steering rack attaches to the unibody, & in the hell hole & lower lip/shelf in the engine bay - especially behind the sound/heat pad.

I could go on & on, but you can use Jeff Bowlsby's checklist too - as if you're buying it all over again & doing a deep PPIn...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

You &/or they should do a thorough look through & check out all of the nooks & crannies for any rust evidence, as you did behind the rocker covers.

I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Ancona Blue! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Happy 4th! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. we are doing that now, but by all acoounts I have some minor surface rust in the trunk back by the lights, under the spare tire and at fender-to-cowl seam on the passenger side and that is it. The car has been garaged since I have owned it and i think that has helped alot. Everything else is good. The painter just finshed up another 914 (his own) a few months ago and is well aware of the other spots that can be problem areas. Even the hell hole is good. Dirty, but good.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I love that blue!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 4 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 4 2018, 11:00 AM) *

Thanks Tom. we are doing that now, but by all acoounts I have some minor surface rust in the trunk back by the lights, under the spare tire and at fender-to-cowl seam on the passenger side and that is it. The car has been garaged since I have owned it and i think that has helped alot. Everything else is good. The painter just finshed up another 914 (his own) a few months ago and is well aware of the other spots that can be problem areas. Even the hell hole is good. Dirty, but good.

Assuming it turns out as well as you expect, then you might want to share the shop recco with others in OC/SoCal who may be looking.

As for me, I'm spending the day deconstructing the irreplaceable & unmatchable 1921 ceramic tile around our kitchen sink, so that I can carefully remove it & install the new repro one, then reuse the tile surround to finish in the sink & still match the counter's tile.
Very slow going! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

PS - With the darker colors, the OE big bumpers tend to look pretty good, as well as adding some protection from low speed bumps, so you're smart to leave them.

FYI - the reason you don't have the "mini-tits" (bumper warts) on there is because it was originally sold in a state other than CA & MD - which were the only 2 states requiring them in 75-76 MYs.

That also means it legally doesn't have the power robbing CA required emissions eqpt. & crapalytic converter (as well as being smog test exempt) - so it has a tad more HP than the CA GC 2.0s.

Enjoy your 4th! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 4 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #10

TMI....

PSS - So once you have her all gussied up, I expect to see her at some of our SoCal PCA Concours - if not judged, then at least on display!

The next ones will be San Diego & LA in September (you just missed OC in June).

You'll have to excuse my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) on it though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's nice to see other long time 914 owners still around too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PCA Zone 8 2018 Concours Remaining Schedule fyi -

<snipped>
We will resume our 2018 Series with the San Diego Region’s AMAZING concours at the Spanish Landing Park at the edge of the beautiful Pacific Ocean on September 8. Tom Brown is the Concours Chair for the San Diego Region and you know Tom knows how to plan events, so DO NOT MISS THIS EXTRAVAGANZA CONCOURS. With hundreds of Porsches to feast your eyes on you will have a great day! Please let Tom know you can help with judging: tb911@tbsoftware.net The registration is open at: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pcasdr...park-pca-507508

Also in September you will not want to miss the LA Region’s Zone 8 Concours at the world famous Petersen Automotive Museum on Wilshire Blvd. in LA, the amazingly wonderful home of The Porsche Effect display. The event will be September 23 high atop the amazing Petersen Museum, and the LA Region has the knack for making each and every event FABULOUS! Please let Linda Cobarrubias know that you can help LAR with the judging that day: ms993@cobarrubiasbookkeeping.com. The registration will be available soon on motorsportreg.com SAVE THE DATE!

October is also busy in Zone 8 Concours with Santa Barbara Region hosting at the impeccable Sherwood Country Club venue on October 14 and the SGVR hosting in Pasadena on October 21. SAVE BOTH OF THESE DATES!

November will conclude our Z8 Concours Series with the Phoenix Flight hosted by the Arizona Region as a weekend get-away extravaganza November 2,3 &4. SAVE THIS WEEKEND for fun, fun, fun!
<end snip>

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2018, 11:16 AM) *

I love that blue!
Attached Image

The mock up looks good. When can it be fabricated?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 4 2018, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2018, 11:16 AM) *

I love that blue!
Attached Image

The mock up looks good. When can it be fabricated?

This weekend if all goes well. Clays 4.0 badge is giving me fits, bad programming on my part has meant I've scrapped 5 pieces. I guess that is how you learn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 4 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #13

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Tom, use a Fein tool with a carbide blade. Don't know what they used 100 years ago as an adhesive, but it beats breaking a few, especially if they're unmatchable.

Have fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 4 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 4 2018, 11:30 AM) *

PSS - So once you have her all gussied up, I expect to see her at some of our SoCal PCA Concours - if not judged, then at least on display!

The next ones will be San Diego & LA in September (you just missed OC in June).

You'll have to excuse my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) on it though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's nice to see other long time 914 owners still around too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Tom
///////

Will do. I'm not going for concourse originality as this will still be a weekend driver out to Cars and Coffee or other So Cal events. Thanks for the previous recommendations last year on local body shops.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 4 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Your half way there on the side marker removal if your painting the car

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 4 2018, 11:25 PM
Post #16

TMI....

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 4 2018, 11:45 AM) *

Tom, use a Fein tool with a carbide blade. Don't know what they used 100 years ago as an adhesive, but it beats breaking a few, especially if they're unmatchable.

Have fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thanx Chef,

It's old school mortar setting bed with lime grout, which a decent tool can cut thru with care & time to not let it over heat, but I have a POS tool.

My POS Harbor Fright Chicago one died after about 3-4 days of use - mostly on wood before this grout removal - of course after the 90 day warranty BS.

Now I'm looking at Rockwell or Hitachi with a real 3 or 5 year warranty.

I swear - power & hand tools have gotten to be such crap nowadays!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 4 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 4 2018, 12:15 PM) *

Will do. I'm not going for concourse originality as this will still be a weekend driver out to Cars and Coffee or other So Cal events. Thanks for the previous recommendations last year on local body shops.

Don't be intimidated by the Concours moniker - it's basically a cleaning, detailing & prep contest - so show her while she's still clean & fresh from the repaint/refurb/resto work.

Originality isn't judged, except that for Preservation Div. the cars have to be 75% original paint & interior, which won't be yours anyway (national Parade does judge some divisions on originality).

Realistically anyone can do it, & they have 914 Class for everything from "Wash & Shine" Div. (exterior & interior judged), Street Div. (adds storage & engine bay judged) or Full Concours Div. (adds undercarriage - 2 sections, with & without engine). So it's more how much do you want to prep for the show judging.

Display only is usually not judged, unless the show has a peoples' choice award.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 5 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 4 2018, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 4 2018, 12:15 PM) *

Don't be intimidated by the Concours moniker - it's basically a cleaning, detailing & prep contest - so show her while she's still clean & fresh from the repaint/refurb/resto work.

Originality isn't judged, except that for Preservation Div. the cars have to be 75% original paint & interior, which won't be yours anyway (national Parade does judge some divisions on originality).

Realistically anyone can do it, & they have 914 Class for everything from "Wash & Shine" Div. (exterior & interior judged), Street Div. (adds storage & engine bay judged) or Full Concours Div. (adds undercarriage - 2 sections, with & without engine). So it's more how much do you want to prep for the show judging.

Display only is usually not judged, unless the show has a peoples' choice award.

Tom
///////

Thanks, sounds like fun.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jul 5 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,057

I spy an old beetle! It looks strikingly similar to one Larmo has recently been sporting about.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Congrats on the pristine longitudinals! Love the Ancona Blue and the five lugs! Mark
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jul 14 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #20

Well the car is not blue anymore and the rust is gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Thankfully, all has been surface and nothing through the metal. Now in primer and getting blocked in the coming week and ready for paint in about two.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:45 AM