Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche certificate, for my 914
daytona
post Dec 16 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #1

daytona

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

Hi guys,
Can anyone tell me where I can get a certificate from Porsche showing all the particulars about my car? I decided to sell one of my 914s and I like to have a certificate showing it is a numbers matching car.
Thanks,
Bill.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Dec 16 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

They don't do them (Certificate of Authenticity)anymore.

They were replaced with:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...calcertificate/
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 16 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

https://www.pca.org/resource/porsche-certif...uthenticity-coa

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 16 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Here is a recent PPS:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 16 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They seem to get worse and worse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) In the old days, for the Engine, it would have the numbers the car came with.. then they would ask you for numbers and they would just verify if correct.. and then they took what ever numbers you gave them.

All that said, its likely worth it to the next owner that you have a COA (PPS) from somepoint in time.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 16 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 16 2019, 11:06 AM) *
They seem to get worse and worse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) All that said, its likely worth it to the next owner that you have a COA (PPS) from somepoint in time.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but given the (lack of) info now provided not much value if you plan on keeping it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Dec 16 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,589

Porsche's mentality on this reminds me of the practice of long-established rock bands hawking cheesy t-shirts at intermission. They've made their millions, but still want to milk their faithful for a few more bucks. I don't need a t-shirt to prove I went to a concert and I don't need a COA or whatever their calling it now to prove I own the authentic 914 that's sitting in my garage. Gee, is there a possibility that it was cranked out in a Chinese sweatshop like a fake Rolex- I think not. Could it be a kit car- I don't think anybody is making kits of the most derided model in Porsche history. If Porsche was loyal to its fans and enthusiasts, they would provide to them every scrap of production and delivery info they could garnish in a single document at a reasonable cost. And as far as them providing a hands-on inspection by one of their so-called "classic experts", give me a break. I'll bet that "expert" is some millennial they sent to a one-week seminar to teach him that his company did actually produce cars before the Cayenne.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 16 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just ploy to get you into the service department. They are smiling the whole time.
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Dec 16 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,876

I think the problem is that a "matching numbers" Porsche has become worth MUCH more money than one with a replacement engine. Because of that, restamping in a manor that is not detectable has become big business.

I guess I applaud Porsche for finding a way to have owners enjoy the cars for what they are and not to succumb to the Corvette mentality.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 16 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #10

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 16 2019, 05:41 PM) *
restamping in a manor that is not detectable has become big business.
Can you elaborate?
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Dec 16 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,876

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 16 2019, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 16 2019, 05:41 PM) *
restamping in a manor that is not detectable has become big business.
Can you elaborate?

I have no idea how they do it. "Not detectable" is an overstatement. It probably is detectable by the right people with the right tools. It's just that having the original motor has added so much value that the dishonest folks will figure something out that will fool at least some of the people.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 16 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Adding a 2008 COA for reference purposes.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Dec 16 2019, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Restamping blocks has become common practice since "numbers matching" has become big business. I know of a stamp supplier who can reproduce almost any font from just a clear picture.

My bet is at least half of the numbers matching classic cars on the market are restamps
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Dec 17 2019, 02:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,103

I decided to sell one of my 914s

what are you selling ? Don't care about the certificate...prefer to have a reliable PPI report (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You can pm me

greetings
Dax
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Dec 17 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Dec 16 2019, 01:40 PM) *

Porsche's mentality on this reminds me of the practice of long-established rock bands hawking cheesy t-shirts at intermission. They've made their millions, but still want to milk their faithful for a few more bucks. I don't need a t-shirt to prove I went to a concert and I don't need a COA or whatever their calling it now to prove I own the authentic 914 that's sitting in my garage. Gee, is there a possibility that it was cranked out in a Chinese sweatshop like a fake Rolex- I think not. Could it be a kit car- I don't think anybody is making kits of the most derided model in Porsche history. If Porsche was loyal to its fans and enthusiasts, they would provide to them every scrap of production and delivery info they could garnish in a single document at a reasonable cost. And as far as them providing a hands-on inspection by one of their so-called "classic experts", give me a break. I'll bet that "expert" is some millennial they sent to a one-week seminar to teach him that his company did actually produce cars before the Cayenne.

Ansbacher

This and their long and overpriced options list has made them the most profitable car manufacturer in the world. The "Classic" program is under the guise of being faithful to the older model Porsche enthusiast, but, make no mistake, they are in it to further expand their bottom line.

Dave
+Quote Post
73-914
post Dec 17 2019, 08:20 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,651

Just remember , they are also "Frame off restorations" . Even if the car is a unibody

LOL
+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 17 2019, 08:25 AM
Post #17

It does appear that the "classic technical certificate" report, for $500, does go to the effort of indicating if the engine and trans are original to your car. But, you have to take it to one of the 12 or so certified locations in the US.

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 17 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Dec 16 2019, 01:40 PM) *

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 17 2019, 11:57 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

The 500 dollar inspection DOES verify original matching numbers, but the people who are doing it at the Porsche Classic centers were not even a gleam in their Dad's eye when most of these cars were made. Hence there are unknowledgeable people examining your car who know virtually nothing about it.

Number re stamp to fake a numbers matching car is a down and dirty low life way to make a profit and those who do it should be banished from the Porsche community (or any community for that matter.

THAT is why Porsche had to clamp down: To try to eliminate counterfeiters, they made it bad for everyone with true intent. (just like the terrorists making all of us have to now go through long lines at the airport.

I have had several long discussions with Porsche here in Atlanta about allowing this type of information out to legitimate entities, and they still refused. Their new certificate of authenticity is virtually worthless and expensive for what you get and gives us all the further impression that Porsche could care less about the old cars

QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 17 2019, 07:25 AM) *

It does appear that the "classic technical certificate" report, for $500, does go to the effort of indicating if the engine and trans are original to your car. But, you have to take it to one of the 12 or so certified locations in the US.

+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 17 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2019, 12:57 PM) *

The 500 dollar inspection DOES verify original matching numbers, but the people who are doing it at the Porsche Classic centers were not even a gleam in their Dad's eye when most of these cars were made. Hence there are unknowledgeable people examining your car who know virtually nothing about it.

QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 17 2019, 07:25 AM) *

Well, knowledge can be learned. If they are doing no more than what the old COA people did, then what does it matter if they are 25 or 40 or 70 years old? The data doesn't change. Porsche has the data, they are merely restricting access. They will know if your 2.0 had the right /original case. Or if you /6 is correct.

Then again, this is why the Ferrari owner complains that his "1 of 11" car is actually # 36 of 11 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) lolz.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:23 PM