Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
mgarrison
post Dec 16 2022, 08:40 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been working on my radiator mount/frame. But I had to replace my phone and the pics I took are in the new iPhone format and basically unusable. And, I got the whole thing welded together only to discover it was about 1/8" too tall/high. Had to cut off the bottom mounts, move them down, then re-do the upper braces (why there's 4 Rivnuts instead of 2 on each upper brace. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So, I gave up and deleted what I'd taken, but took some new ones this afternoon while testing to see with my rather sophisticated CAD system if I can mount the aluminum shrouding before installing the radiator mount...State of the art CAD system! Even my scissors suck...
Attached Image

Survey says...Nope! Can't mount the lower sides before it's installed in the car.
Attached Image

Once it's in the car I believe things will fit ok.
Attached Image

Need an extra 1/2" or so on the back of the bottom shroud to close up this gap though!
Attached Image

Arguing with myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) over how to shroud the portion above the curved bracing. Not sure if I should go angled like this, and then a cosmetic cover over the top, or...
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Dec 17 2022, 09:11 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 23,981

Looks great Mike... Your CAD system is primo and a notch better than my own (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .. My only regret (thus far) with my rad mount is that I didn't leave sufficient room for rubber isolaters. I squeezed in some lame thin pads, but I wish I'd have planned for a real buffer of some sorts.... Just FYI...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lilchopshop
post Dec 17 2022, 12:41 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Dec 16 2022, 09:40 PM) *

I've been working on my radiator mount/frame. But I had to replace my phone and the pics I took are in the new iPhone format and basically unusable. And, I got the whole thing welded together only to discover it was about 1/8" too tall/high. Had to cut off the bottom mounts, move them down, then re-do the upper braces (why there's 4 Rivnuts instead of 2 on each upper brace. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So, I gave up and deleted what I'd taken, but took some new ones this afternoon while testing to see with my rather sophisticated CAD system if I can mount the aluminum shrouding before installing the radiator mount...State of the art CAD system! Even my scissors suck...
Attached Image

Survey says...Nope! Can't mount the lower sides before it's installed in the car.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Need an extra 1/2" or so on the back of the bottom shroud to close up this gap though!
Attached Image

Arguing with myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) over how to shroud the portion above the curved bracing. Not sure if I should go angled like this, and then a cosmetic cover over the top, or...
Attached Image

Looks really good! I’m following build closely since I’m planning to do something very similar.

Couple of questions…. 1. When you ran the coolant hoses in the longs, did you run them right inside of the existing insulated ducts?
2. Is the part number of the radiator “MMRAD-CEL-00”?
3. What radiator fans are you using?

Thanks, Aaron

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 17 2022, 02:17 PM
Post #224

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

“MMRAD-CEL-00”

Would make sense. MishiMoto Radiator Celica 2000-2004.

There are cheaper copies of the 'racing' radiator for the Celica/MR-S than Mishimoto. Using the Celica radiator is well documented here. I used the factory Celica fans as the generic Chinese fans are questionable. I also used the MR-S version of this radiator as the hose inlets are in a better place.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Dec 18 2022, 07:57 PM
Post #225

QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Dec 17 2022, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Dec 16 2022, 09:40 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks really good! I’m following build closely since I’m planning to do something very similar.

Couple of questions…. 1. When you ran the coolant hoses in the longs, did you run them right inside of the existing insulated ducts?
2. Is the part number of the radiator “MMRAD-CEL-00”?
3. What radiator fans are you using?

Thanks, Aaron

No ducts in my longs. Completely open/empty longs. Couple pics here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2800284

It's a 2000-2005 Toyota Celica radiator. Mishimoto makes nice things. Didn't want to buy a Chinese knock off radiator, so I waited till they had it on sale around black Friday for about $215.

I have not purchased fans or shroud yet. Debating what fans to go with, etc.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Dec 28 2022, 02:08 PM
Post #226

Waiting on some aluminum sheet to get here for the shroud/ducting for the radiator. Meanwhile, my toolbox and stuff kept getting wet when it rained despite my temporary cover. With more rain due soon I decided to build a more permanent cover to try and keep things dry & protected.

Attached Image
Simple and hopefully effective... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

This should keep things dry.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Jan 15 2023, 03:00 PM
Post #227

One sheet of aluminum showed up, so I tried to do what I could with it! Still waiting on the second sheet to make it here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image

I had a gift card for HF so I picked up this cheap "metal bender". As usual for HF, required a bit of modification to work half decent... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Attached Image Attached Image

I lost a bit of width, but the top piece cant move around anymore! I thought about drilling a couple more sets of holes across it at maybe 8" & 12", but I think just getting a couple more larger C clamps would be quicker/easier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I can't mount the lower sides until the radiator frame is bolted in, so I'm back to waiting on the rest of my aluminum to show up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 5 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #228

While I was waiting on more aluminum I decided to redo my workbench top. The old top had gotten wet an swelled up and was coming apart. While I was at it, I figured I'd try a "proof of concept" for the concrete countertop videos I've seen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

My first attempt did not go well, and cracked. So I decided to pour half at a time - made it much easier to move into place as well. I welded in some extra support across the middle, and a couple 45s to keep things square. This Snap-On light my son got me for Christmas is the cat's pajamas!
Attached Image

Here's a slab in the form
Attached Image

Getting them into place was interesting, but not terrible.
Attached Image

Came out pretty good.
Attached Image

After hearing my aluminum was backordered until late February, I found an alternative source and got back to work.
Attached ImageAttached Image

Things are starting to come together a bit.
Attached ImageAttached Image

More of that cutting edge CAD work...
Attached Image

This piece was about 2-3" too long for my little bender, so had to employ some serious "Southern Engineering", but it came out ok.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 14 2023, 10:15 AM
Post #229

Some more terribly sophisticated CAD...

Attached Image

Just need to dream up a way to fold & rivet these pieces together in aluminum. Taking a long look at what Andy did for his oil cooler. But don't think I'll be able to fit a toolbox behind mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

This is what my life has come to; "Paper Dolls" for old guys with classic cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

I was struggling so with keeping track of which fitting was male vs female, and if any one company had all the fittings I needed in one place...nope! Still need to confirm a couple of bends/angles are going to be workable. I was able to confirm with Mishimoto the Celica radiator can flow either direction, so no need to cross my coolant lines at the front/rear to make sure it flows driver to passenger side... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 14 2023, 11:35 AM
Post #230

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

OMG... hose end fitting planning is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Your radiator shrouding looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 14 2023, 11:46 AM
Post #231

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 14 2023, 10:35 AM) *

OMG... hose end fitting planning is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Your radiator shrouding looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thanks Chris! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Just trying to balance my OCD against limited skillset/tools...I can picture how I want it in my head, but making come out that way is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 21 2023, 05:33 PM
Post #232

Look Ma, I made SOMETHING! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
Attached Image

I put the hoses in the headlight buckets and then started chuckling because it reminded me of flux capacitor plumbing in Doc's DeLorean! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

Got my "creation" to mostly fit, and clamped into place.
Attached Image

Used rivnuts to mount it up for easy removal.
Attached Image

I measured 6-8 times, and still needed a stiff drink before I drilled those holes! Started with a 1/8" bit just in case I needed to fill it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Attached Image

Got it in the correct spot, and it came out ok! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Looks like I'll need to revisit it in the future to extend the overall height for aesthetics, but looks like it will get the hot air out well enough for now!
Attached Image

AND I learned the Boys Ranch right across the road has a plasma cutter nobody ever uses. Barn connections...you just never know what you'll learn/find! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Feb 21 2023, 05:56 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 23,981

Beautiful Mike..... It's really taking shape very nicely.. As I've said before, your detail work is great and will certainly pay off in a high-quality end product.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 22 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #234

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Feb 21 2023, 04:56 PM) *

Beautiful Mike..... It's really taking shape very nicely.. As I've said before, your detail work is great and will certainly pay off in a high-quality end product.

Thanks Kevin! Feeling my way like a blind guy in a room full of rakes with their tines up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Fingers crossed that the passenger side outlet on the radiator has enough clearance for the AN adapter and fitting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) That one's gonna be snug. If it won't clear, I'll be reworking the radiator fit/placement for a third time. Seems like every step takes 4x as long as expected, and costs 2x as much as expected. Quite the journey...I keep joking that our son may have to finish the car after I'm dead and gone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 22 2023, 09:28 AM
Post #235

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Built, not bought.

...for the win, everytime! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 22 2023, 09:57 AM
Post #236

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 22 2023, 08:28 AM) *

Built, not bought.

...for the win, everytime! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Thanks Chris! I keep reminding myself I want to do as much of this build myself as I can manage. May not look as perfect, or might take multiple iterations, but I figured it out, and I did it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 22 2023, 11:23 AM
Post #237

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 22 2023, 09:28 AM) *

Built, not bought.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Every time someone with a new 911 GT3 makes disparaging comments about my Six conversion, I just look at him and say "Anyone can write a check and buy a car. But not everyone can engineer and build one."

And then I blow his doors off..........

+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 22 2023, 11:52 AM
Post #238

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 21 2023, 03:33 PM) *

Look Ma, I made SOMETHING! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
Attached Image

I put the hoses in the headlight buckets and then started chuckling because it reminded me of flux capacitor plumbing in Doc's DeLorean! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

Got my "creation" to mostly fit, and clamped into place.
Attached Image

Used rivnuts to mount it up for easy removal.
Attached Image

I measured 6-8 times, and still needed a stiff drink before I drilled those holes! Started with a 1/8" bit just in case I needed to fill it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Attached Image

Got it in the correct spot, and it came out ok! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Looks like I'll need to revisit it in the future to extend the overall height for aesthetics, but looks like it will get the hot air out well enough for now!
Attached Image

AND I learned the Boys Ranch right across the road has a plasma cutter nobody ever uses. Barn connections...you just never know what you'll learn/find! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Use this to seal your baffle to the hood. All non-radial piston powered planes use it to seal the baffles to the cowling. Question: is the concrete slab reinforced or plasticized? You're making good progress. Stay after it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Feb 22 2023, 01:25 PM
Post #239

Member No.: 20,535

Coming along real well Mike!
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 22 2023, 02:12 PM
Post #240

[/quote]
Use this to seal your baffle to the hood. All non-radial piston powered planes use it to seal the baffles to the cowling. Question: is the concrete slab reinforced or plasticized? You're making good progress. Stay after it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
[/quote]

Did I miss your link? Maybe it didn't paste...

Assuming your referring to the concrete "countertop/workbench"; It's actually quickset mortar with no rocks in it since I only could do a 1" thickness. I put metal lath in the middle to reinforce it. It's basically a POC to see if I could pull off doing our bathroom counters. I did add flow control to make it flow a bit better, and tried to use the least amount of water I could get away with (meets DOT requirements, whatever that means!). I cast the bolt holes for the vise in it using dowels. So far so good. I've hammered out some aluminum on the vise, and I've been clamping and bending the aluminum duct on it too. I kind of expected some cracks by now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Here's where I got the idea:
https://youtu.be/T7mYB6x68DY
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:47 PM