Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
mgarrison
post Feb 29 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,

I new around here, but have been lurking for a bit trying to soak up all the 914 knowledge and information I could! I was looking into building a Factory Five 818 kit with the Subaru flat-4, but the cost of entry was a bit too high, and the time & space needed to build a car from scratch seemed overwhelming. But it got me thinking; that's basically a tube-framed 914 with an odd body. I wonder if anyone has put a Subaru flat-4 in a 914? A few Google searches later I learned that a lot of people had, and parts were out there to spend my money on!

Long story short, I found two rollers with no engines or transmissions in Tucson, AZ a couple of hours South of me. Soon I rented a car hauler for a couple of days and my "Craft Project" (my wife's label) was begun.

The rollers were a green 1971, and a red 1974. I wanted to restore the 71 because it just seemed to have more character. The 74 had been partially stripped for an electric conversion project, and seemed less "car like". Sadly, the 71 needed a bit more work than I was setup to handle. So, it had to be the 74 who I have simply labeled as "Red".

I will try to track my build process here as best I can. I tend to get working on things and forget to document things, but will try to keep track.

Here's Red when we got her home on the trailer and tucked away in the back yard for the moment.

Mike
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(260 - 279)
Mayne
post Mar 20 2023, 12:07 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Looking good, and that’s a proud little spot for the teener!
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 24 2023, 10:24 AM
Post #262

I managed to get the hose ends on the front lines about 95% of the way on - waiting on another -16 wrench to finish tightening them down. Typically you use a vise with aluminum jaw pads to install the hose ends, but I don't have that option with the hoses running through the chassis. I guess I could have pulled the hoses out, then installed ends on one end. Run the hoses back through the chassis, and then installed the other ends. Seemed like too much work for not much return! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I decided to cross the lines at the front so that the return (passenger side) goes to the "upper" (really middle inlet on the Celica radiator), and the feed (drivers side) goes to the lower inlet/outlet. Mishimoto said flow direction did not matter, and the radiator would flow fine either direction but...
Attached Image

I got the thermostat housing adapter installed. In case anyone's interested in the AutoPlumb adapters (instead of having a bung welded in), here's the basic process:

Put the grip tape around the threaded collar and slip the collar and split ring over inlet.
Attached Image

Coat the rubber bushing with black RTV and slip over the inlet with the chamfer to the outside.
Attached Image

Thread the collar on by hand as tight as you can get it making sure it stays square to the end of the inlet. Tighten the rest of the way using the strap wrench and AN wrench.
Attached Image

Clean the outside up with lacquer thinner.
Attached Image

Works pretty well, IMHO... Subaru puts the thermostat housing in the craziest place; bottom of the motor, on the driver's side! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Attached Image

Now I'm waiting on another 45 degree hose end - I used the one that was for the thermostat housing on the radiator due to the change in the radiator mounting angle needed to make everything fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Using my time to try and work out the exit ducting...again! Trying to reuse what I can, but going to need more aluminum sheet, of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Mar 24 2023, 03:34 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 23,981

Keep up the great work Mike.. As always, looking very good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 26 2023, 08:42 AM
Post #264

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Do they not use rebar for reinforcement in your neck of the woods? The finish looks good. Did you slope it to keep the rainwater away from the siding? That thermostat location will work out very well and lines up nicely with the nipple coming off the long. Mixing that concrete by hand will give you a good work out!. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 26 2023, 08:51 PM
Post #265

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 26 2023, 07:42 AM) *

Do they not use rebar for reinforcement in your neck of the woods? The finish looks good. Did you slope it to keep the rainwater away from the siding? That thermostat location will work out very well and lines up nicely with the nipple coming off the long. Mixing that concrete by hand will give you a good work out!. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No...They dont even use rebar on driveways out here! Probably because they used to make adobe bricks out of the dang dirt! I tried to match the slope of the existing pad that was added off the garage years ago - it slopes away from the house so should be ok. I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 26 2023, 09:04 PM
Post #266

Made a bit more progress this weekend. Starting to question my life's choices trying to put the AN fittings on the braided hose. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if it's just the fact that they are -16 and a crazy challenge! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Anyhow, I have the exit ducting about 95% squared away. I think it would function fine, just an odd gap towards the front of the opening...

Started with the CAD again.
Attached Image

I was able to reuse the main piece, but not the sides.
Attached Image

With the angle change on the radiator mount the top of the radiator is farther forward of the opening. Needed to add a covered section, but that added some structure for the sides.
Attached Image

Everything clears good, and there's a bit of room under there for toolbox, or maybe even the battery... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image Attached Image

Made sure it was fairly simple to remove.
Attached Image

Here's the hose and fittings for the returns coming off the top of the heads. Not as much space as I thought I'd have, but I think I can make it work.
Attached Image

Now just waiting on the 45 degree end for the thermostat housing...Debating on doing fuel tank and lines next, or wiring harness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 27 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #267

I wasn't happy with the gap that showed above my exit duct when looking forward in the car, so I started trying to come up with a solution. That section of the hood also does not have any bracing underneath it, so if it could provide support that would be a bonus.

Here's the gap.
Attached Image

Here's a first try at covering the gap and providing some support for that section of the hood opening.
Attached Image

I'm thinking riveted to the cross support, and maybe a piece of foam across the top to protect the underside of the hood... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Trying to stay in the KISS zone.
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Mar 28 2023, 09:07 AM
Post #268

Member No.: 23,981

A 3d-printed grate/grill would be awesome...
+Quote Post
Lilchopshop
post Mar 28 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

@mgarrison , I'm curious if you're worried about airflow getting under the hood and causing it to lift at high speeds? Are you planning on putting any sort of louvers on the big opening?

I'm also wondering about water getting into your duct or getting past the duct and ending up in what's left of your frunk. It feels like there should be some sort of gutter/diverter around the big opening in the hood that directs the water into the duct and then a drain hole/hose in the bottom of the duct to carry the water out the bottom of the car.

These are the crazy things that those of us who don't live in sunny Arizona have to contemplate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 28 2023, 11:51 AM
Post #270

QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Mar 28 2023, 10:28 AM) *

@mgarrison , I'm curious if you're worried about airflow getting under the hood and causing it to lift at high speeds? Are you planning on putting any sort of louvers on the big opening?

I'm also wondering about water getting into your duct or getting past the duct and ending up in what's left of your frunk. It feels like there should be some sort of gutter/diverter around the big opening in the hood that directs the water into the duct and then a drain hole/hose in the bottom of the duct to carry the water out the bottom of the car.

These are the crazy things that those of us who don't live in sunny Arizona have to contemplate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Not really concerned about air lifting the hood. Too many race examples that travel at much greater speeds without issues...Some examples from around these parts:
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Also, my '03 EVO VIII had a similar vent on the aluminum hood, but with a louvered insert, and even my '19 Ford Raptor has a vented hood with a plastic louvered insert.

Water drainage is definitely more of a thought - mostly from washing the car here in AZ! I plan to put a couple of drains in the bottom of the frunk in the lowest areas. I believe that's what these were designed for:
https://914rubber.com/front-trunk-drain-tube-1

Mostly making it up as I go though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Lilchopshop
post Mar 28 2023, 12:36 PM
Post #271

Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

Sweet pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Dammit, now I want a hole in my hood! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 28 2023, 12:57 PM
Post #272

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

Normally a radiator fills from the top and sucks from the bottom. Idea is that it won't run out of water for the pump/motor until it's really low.
The Celica/MRS is an abnormal design.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 28 2023, 03:00 PM
Post #273

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 28 2023, 11:57 AM) *

Normally a radiator fills from the top and sucks from the bottom. Idea is that it won't run out of water for the pump/motor until it's really low.
The Celica/MRS is an abnormal design.

Yea, the Celica radiator is odd - why I called Mishimoto to see what their take was on the direction of flow in their version. Also why I crossed the lines in the frunk. Was easier to line up the hoses/connectors anyway. It will draw from the lower outlet and fill via the upper/higher inlet. I figured that was the most efficient flow direction... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 29 2023, 08:55 PM
Post #274

Had some time this evening to spend on the 914. Still waiting on a couple of hose ends, but trying to keep moving forward...

Cut some steel mesh for the inlet. Still need to square away mounting it a bit more secure and get it painted black, but not too bad for the moment.
Attached Image

I got my block off plate and "Gurney flap" cut and mounted. Far, far, FAR from perfect/how I picture it in my teenie, tiny mind, but it's ok. I get the feeling I will never be "done", but that's ok in a lot of ways! *The plastic jug is the same dimensions as a 2.5qt round expansion tank...trying to work out where I have room to fit things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image

Seems to support the hood pretty well...
Attached Image

View from the inside is much improved.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Apr 3 2023, 10:43 AM
Post #275

My expansion tank arrived. Time to figure out where it fits best and get it mounted. I originally planned on the driver's side so it was closest to the outlet on the radiator.
Attached Image

That side proved a little too tight with the second outlet I'm not using is in exactly the wrong spot. So, over to the passenger's side we go.
Attached Image

A little bit more room on that side, and the plug for the extra port has room too. Confirmed it sits 3-4" higher than the outlets coming off the cylinder heads, and that it will clear the hood bracing, then mounted it with a couple of rivnuts.
Attached Image

Still room for a recovery/overflow tank on the driver's side, if its needed. Ordered the plug, and a 90 degree elbow for the outlet on the expansion tank. Still need to pickup some 3/8" hose, clamps, etc. at the local auto parts store (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 3 2023, 11:56 AM
Post #276

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

It's so cool watching you work through all the things that come up as you custom fabricate your way to your one-of-a kind build. You're doing a splendid job of solving each challenge. Makes me want to steal some of your solutions...
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Apr 3 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #277

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 3 2023, 10:56 AM) *

It's so cool watching you work through all the things that come up as you custom fabricate your way to your one-of-a kind build. You're doing a splendid job of solving each challenge. Makes me want to steal some of your solutions...
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Steal away - Lord knows I've stolen any and every idea I can from your builds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 3 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #278

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Looks great. I can’t quite read the brand. Canton?
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Apr 4 2023, 10:00 AM
Post #279

QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 3 2023, 07:22 PM) *

Looks great. I can’t quite read the brand. Canton?

Yes, Canton 2.5qt 5" diameter expansion tank...
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Apr 10 2023, 12:45 PM
Post #280

Had to be "Barn Dad" the last two Saturdays, but got a couple things done on the 914. With the concrete poured, I can at least use the Quick Jack without having to roll the 914 around to the garage.
Attached Image

I managed to get the last -16AN hose end on. Had to do this one under the car as it was not long enough to pull out beside the car to install. -16 fittings are a real bear...hoping to not do those again this lifetime! But, they look cool and I like the idea they just unscrew.
Attached Image

My new fuel tank showed up only for me to discover I had an early style tank in my '74. Expansion tank mounts are not correct for the metal expansion tank I have. No charcoal canister in any of the parts that came off the car. We'll see if I need to correct the expansion tank mounts, or... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:38 AM