Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
mgarrison
post Sep 12 2023, 03:31 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Sep 12 2023, 06:15 AM) *

Sorry to read about the accident Mike. Certainly glad that he is ok. Good to keep a clear perspective during these times. 914 progress looks very good considering a long very hot summer.

Thanks Kevin, it's been a rough summer, that's for sure! Explains why the PHX area is the worst in the country for road rage - everyone is so hot/miserable/agitated, we are all at each other's throats in an instant! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Sep 22 2023, 03:09 PM
Post #302

Got a new rubber mount for the wiper motor, and new seals from 914Rubber. Baby steps...
Attached Image

Finally got some mounts for the fuse block. Trying to figure out the best spot to install it. Don't want it under the dash unless it just doesn't work anywhere else. This is right above the original location, and seems like it might work well, while still being fairly easy to access. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image

Just need to determine length for the wires for all the front end items and then get those wires labeled and installed into the fuse block. Wiring is more than a bit overwhelming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 22 2023, 05:51 PM
Post #303

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Nice work on the 914 and sorry about your son's accident.

A couple of comments. The fuse block should work where it's at as long as you can easily reach it with the tank in and it has a cover to keep moisture out.

About the tank, not sure if you're going to use the little portal to make the connections to the tank. These can looped around to the driver side and back thus giving ample length to do the connections with the tank out and drop it it. I did this with my 914 and welded the portal closed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Sep 25 2023, 11:19 AM
Post #304

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 22 2023, 04:51 PM) *

Nice work on the 914 and sorry about your son's accident.

A couple of comments. The fuse block should work where it's at as long as you can easily reach it with the tank in and it has a cover to keep moisture out.

About the tank, not sure if you're going to use the little portal to make the connections to the tank. These can looped around to the driver side and back thus giving ample length to do the connections with the tank out and drop it it. I did this with my 914 and welded the portal closed.

Thanks for the feedback. The fuse block does have a water proof cover & seal. Also, being in PHX area, not much water/rain to contend with.

I have AN adapters on the tank outlet and am using the portal to access and connect them.

Most likely will be hitting you up for the LED lights/panels - plan on going all LED on the car since I'm not worried about originality.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 25 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #305

Trying to start running some wires. Still struggling in my head on how to start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Figured I would run all the wires that I KNOW go from headlights to relays in the fuse block, or fuel pump to the relay in the fuse block and get them labeled. Then move to the rear and do the same...
Attached Image

The shrink tube for the label maker is super cool!
Attached Image

Still need to find/decide on some type of wiring loom I can put over the wires once I have them all laid out in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 25 2023, 11:44 AM
Post #306

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry to hear about your son's accident.

Hopefully the insurance company makes your son "whole" with a nice replacement Miata.

My brother-in-law's cherry 2005 Boxster S was taken out head on by a high school kid playing with his phone while driving. Totaled the Boxster and broke my BIL's foot. That was the 3rd car the kid had totaled in less than 2 years of driving. Also had 4 moving violations, the last for 135 in a 45- still had his license!
+Quote Post
Jeff_72
post Oct 25 2023, 12:03 PM
Post #307

Member No.: 26,921

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2023, 12:44 PM) *

Sorry to hear about your son's accident.

Hopefully the insurance company makes your son "whole" with a nice replacement Miata.

My brother-in-law's cherry 2005 Boxster S was taken out head on by a high school kid playing with his phone while driving. Totaled the Boxster and broke my BIL's foot. That was the 3rd car the kid had totaled in less than 2 years of driving. Also had 4 moving violations, the last for 135 in a 45- still had his license!

I got a ticket doing 76 in a 25 in 1989. the fine was $15k and lost my license for a year. Don't triple the speed limit is my advise.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 26 2023, 10:04 AM
Post #308

Some more detailed shots of the printable shrink tube labels...
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Oct 26 2023, 10:19 AM
Post #309

Member No.: 23,981

Man Mike... You do some nice work ! Excellent detailing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 26 2023, 10:48 AM
Post #310

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Oct 26 2023, 09:19 AM) *

Man Mike... You do some nice work ! Excellent detailing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Thanks Kevin! I'm just floundering along trying to do what makes sense to my itty, bitty brain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

All my wiring ideas have be stolen from SuperFastMatt:
https://youtu.be/pSXv8RHa22I?si=xm9A8YfMgOYm8T7A
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 27 2023, 10:47 AM
Post #311

A little more progress. Waiting on the wiring tab covers, loom, and grommets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Nov 7 2023, 01:58 PM
Post #312

I received my tab cover from 914Rubber, so I measured and cut them to the lengths needed. I got them all installed throughout the chassis and began looming the wiring. A bit hard on the fingers, but works pretty well.

I ordered the incorrect wiper stalk and had to re-order the correct one from Jbugs, but at least I'm not worried about 50 year old plastic crumbling as I reinstall them!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Nov 7 2023, 02:01 PM
Post #313

I also got my battery tray welded to the support, welds ground flat in the tray bottom, and some primer sprayed.
Attached Image

I ordered a Hella dual-tone horn set and got them mounted.
Attached Image

However, my Supervisor still seems rather nonplussed by my limited progress...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Nov 22 2023, 11:01 AM
Post #314

I installed the SpeedHut gauges I bought from Chris just to see how they look, and to have them in place for wiring. Beautiful...
Attached Image

I still just can't get over how THIN they are!
Attached Image

Yesterday I actually hooked up one of the taillights. Of course, there's nothing on the other end of those wires yet, and no ground wire...yet. But it still feels like some small victory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Attached Image

I received my Rennline 6 Pole Cut Off Switch, and my 80A breaker for the main fuse block feed. Just need to decide where to locate each of the components. Trying to do things safely/correctly without over complicating things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Nov 24 2023, 10:17 AM
Post #315

Continues to look great Mike.... Speedhut gauges look awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Dec 18 2023, 01:42 PM
Post #316

I've been rather busy and have had limited time for the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But, I did receive my battery mount from Rennline.
Attached Image

Still need to wire up the kill switch and the breaker for the main fuse block.

I also received my 3DGAuto headlights/turn signals! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) They were packaged very carefully, and arrived in perfect condition. I actually got them wired up yesterday after a quick email exchange discussing the projector beam pinout as I am wiring them in to the harness (don't have the stock 914 connectors to plug into). Major Kudos to Ben for his super quick reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Dec 19 2023, 09:09 AM
Post #317

Whole front end has come together really nicely Mike... Must feel good to have your vision realized to that extent..... Headlights are sooooo nice. Excellent decsion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Kevin
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Dec 19 2023, 11:50 AM
Post #318

Thanks Kevin!

I'm hoping I'll feel that sense of accomplishment once I get the whole circuits in place and can test each one with a spare battery, or my battery charger - that way I can limit the test to 2amps running through the wires...

My next big hurdle is deciphering the connections for the turn signal & wiper levers, and the high/low beam switch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

It's quite the process, but I'm hoping it's steeling me a bit for the gauges, ECU, etc. that are still to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Lilchopshop
post Dec 26 2023, 05:47 PM
Post #319

Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

I also received my 3DGAuto headlights/turn signals! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) They were packaged very carefully, and arrived in perfect condition. I actually got them wired up yesterday after a quick email exchange discussing the projector beam pinout as I am wiring them in to the harness (don't have the stock 914 connectors to plug into). Major Kudos to Ben for his super quick reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

@mgarrison , Your work looks great! I’m learning a lot from your build. I love the look of the 3DGAuto headlights. Please let us know what you think of them. I would love to hear your honest opinion as to whether or not they are a viable replacement to the stock headlights in a street car.

Thanks,
Aaron

+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Dec 27 2023, 09:39 AM
Post #320

Aaron, I'm a long way out from a drivable car! It's gonna be a minute (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I did take note of the early feedback from other forum members, and I'm pondering how I can fab up a shield to protect the fans on the back of the LED projectors. It looks like it will be pretty straight forward, but not a priority at the moment. Also, living in the Phoenix area, I generally don't encounter much rain/mud/snow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:49 PM