Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
JRust
post Feb 3 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking great bud. Keep up the good work
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Feb 4 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #62

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

Great build. Moving slow, but you're doing it right. Keep it up
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 4 2021, 07:20 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does anyone know if these two holes should be there? They go all the way through into the engine bay. The one on the right side seems wallowed out and a bit oval. This car seems to have a lot of random, strange holes in odd places...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 5 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #64

While I'm waiting for more weld-thru primer to get here, I started trying to fit/mold the Mad Dog inner long bracing. I ran into a couple of minor issues. I think my replacement handbrake pivot is a slightly different size than the original.
Attached Image

Looks like I need to trim a bit where the handbrake cables exit the firewall as well.
Attached Image

I will have to pull all this out so I can spray everything with the weld-thru primer, but at least it's mostly ready to go!
Attached ImageAttached Image

Not totally sure I understand the "screw in EVERY hole" instruction, but I didn't design the kit. Good thing I have two batteries for the cordless drill!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Feb 5 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 897

Your moving along nicely! Just a friendly reminder - Before welding in the stiffening kit it is highly recommended that the opening for the doors get braced before you start, otherwise you might end up with some unwanted shrinkage changing the door gaps. Not sure what your experience is with the weld through primer, but mine was that it sucked. I sprayed mine with epoxy primer as a result, and ground down or taped off the areas I knew would be welded.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 6 2021, 03:48 PM
Post #66

Thanks for the advice/reminder! I ran down to my local Lowes, but all they had was one six foot long 1" square tube - not enough for both sides! They did have some four foot 1/2" square tube. Not super sturdy, but it can't hurt. I checked measurements, and they are spot on - want to keep them that way! Hopefully, these little braces will help. I got them in there nice and snug...

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 13 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #67

I got each and every hole filled with a screw, and did my best to fit the panels as snug as possible. My hands sure are not used to driving that many screws!
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

My AWOL order of weld-thru primer finally showed up, so I undid each and every screw. Which is a bit of a PITA as the self-tapping tip never wants to come out! For some reason this reminded me of the pincushion guy from Hellraiser!
Attached Image

I got the backs of the panels all primed, and primed the bare metal of the longs and lower firewall.

Once they were all screwed back in place, I tested my settings one more time to make sure things were good to go. I got the welder and everything I needed setup inside the car so I did not have to climb in & out any more than needed! I would take one screw out, then fill that hole with weld. Then take another screw out and weld. Then I would move to another panel on the other side of the car and repeat.

My welds are nothing to write home about, but the price is right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

Murphy was riding my shoulders once again today - my welding helmet broke and would no longer stay up after I flipped it up between welds. Each time I would go to reposition to the other side of the car, the helmet would fall down, I could not see well and would invariably bonk my head or back on something hard & sharp! Off to HD in the morning for a replacement... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Feb 14 2021, 01:25 AM
Post #68

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

Loving this thread, keep it up
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 14 2021, 09:44 PM
Post #69

Ran to HD early (to avoid people) this morning to grab a new welding helmet. After washing, clay barring, and "ceramic" coating my wife's Jeep, it was back to finish up the rosette welds. Nothing too exciting, except my knees are really happy all those welds are complete!

The rosette welds came out pretty ok, at least for my skills & equipment!
Attached Image

I need to figure some things out before diving into the stitch welds though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Feb 14 2021, 10:37 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 19,266

Looks great.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 15 2021, 09:13 AM
Post #71

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

You need a copper backing plate to help with the stick welds. How you angle your gun has an influence also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 15 2021, 06:41 PM
Post #72

I've got some smashed copper pipe to use as backing, but no way to get it inside the long and hold it there. It is what it is...wanted to do as much as I could myself.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 15 2021, 06:45 PM
Post #73

Today was mostly washing/cleaning up my truck, but I did manage to spend a couple of hours on the 914. I got all my rosette welds ground down. A few little spots here and there, but overall not to shabby for me.
Attached ImageAttached Image

I did some test welds, and tried to ensure my settings were ok, and worked on trying to stay straight! Looking a bit better... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Feb 15 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 19,266

Does it feel stiffer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 16 2021, 09:43 AM
Post #75

Impossible to tell...no suspension, wheels, etc.! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 18 2021, 07:39 PM
Post #76

I got the panels all stitched in. Things were going better, so I figured while I was on a roll, I'd just go with it!
Attached Image

Welds looking better...at least for my welds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

Hit everything with the wire brush, vacuumed up all the debris, and coated with primer to protect it...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Feb 18 2021, 07:55 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Great job!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Is there any stich welding on the bottom at the floor pan?
Curious if this kit can be installed before doing floor pan replacement.

Thanks,
Sean

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 18 2021, 08:39 PM) *

I got the panels all stitched in. Things were going better, so I figured while I was on a roll, I'd just go with it!
Attached Image

Welds looking better...at least for my welds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

Hit everything with the wire brush, vacuumed up all the debris, and coated with primer to protect it...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 26 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Feb 18 2021, 06:55 PM) *

Great job!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Is there any stich welding on the bottom at the floor pan?
Curious if this kit can be installed before doing floor pan replacement.

Thanks,
Sean

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 18 2021, 08:39 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I did not do any stitch welds along the bottom. Since the longs are curved at the bottom, they pull away from the new panels. Not sure how you would weld down in there, and the stiffening panels do not go all the way down to the floor pan.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 26 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #79

Still just trying to keep moving forward. Inch by slow inch...
Trying to get the interior of the chassis all wire brushed, any rust I find treated, and then a quick coat of primer to protect it. With all the little nooks & crannies I think doing the flares and the outside might seem easier! Still have the frunk to finish up!

I found some surface rust under the dash - seems like a really odd place to rust, especially on an Arizona car!
Attached Image

Not too terrible after cleanup.
Attached Image

Some more surface rust on the firewall, but not much!
Attached Image

I actually forgot to treat the two spots on the firewall before priming, so I looked back at the above photo and hit the right areas with the wire brush so I could treat them. Just try to ignore my amateur patch on the left there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There was some odd, crunchy sealer just in front of the doors under the dash. Very different stuff from the other seam sealer!
Attached Image

I tried to check all the problem areas to uncover any rust. The usual spots look really good!
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

There was a bit of rust in the windshield channel, especially at the two bottom corners. Did my best to wire brush it and then treated it too.

The shop vac is seeing daily use, and getting quite the workout sucking up all the paint dust, rust, and metal shavings! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 27 2021, 08:12 PM
Post #80

I wire brushed the vent holes as best I could and then coated them with the Eastwood internal frame coating. Should keep them from rusting, etc.

I drilled out the holes for the coolant lines through the longs. Took a deep breath before drilling through the panels I had just welded in!

I taped over the smaller holes in the "ducts" where I will run the coolant lines to the frunk, and most of the holes in the center tunnel so I could spray the internal frame coating without getting it in my face...

Still got some on my boots though...That's not coming off!
Attached Image

Here's the tube & nozzle it comes with. I taped the tube to a section of coat hanger to keep it straight, and to be able to aim it a bit better.

Stuff seems to work rather well, but it does make a mess, and is thin enough to drip out the bottom of the chassis (how it got on my boots).
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Shot the dash support with some primer, and tried to catch all the other areas I had stripped so they are protected.

On/back to the frunk! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:09 AM