Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John’s ‘73 Restoration, Light at the end of the tunnel
DRPHIL914
post Oct 24 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #41

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
i will be doing this soon as well and just got my switch, and this week i got the new turn signal switch and my NOS 911 pump from @914sixer thanks, and shout out to Mark for that. i will also need help with wiring that up.
Looks good, did you put the wheel etc all back together?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Oct 25 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

@Morph914 - are you running that switch straight to the pump or do you have the intermittent wipe relay? if it's straight to the pump, one of those wires from the carmagic switch goes to the + side of the pump, the other goes to a switched power source at the fuse box. then the - connection on the pump goes to a ground.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Oct 25 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 20,326

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 24 2020, 11:57 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
i will be doing this soon as well and just got my switch, and this week i got the new turn signal switch and my NOS 911 pump from @914sixer thanks, and shout out to Mark for that. i will also need help with wiring that up.
Looks good, did you put the wheel etc all back together?

Not yet, I just received the lower column bearing, and should have the top bearing tomorrow. Always seem to be waiting on parts, so I have 3 or 4 different projects going on at the same time.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Oct 25 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 25 2020, 08:53 AM) *

@Morph914 - are you running that switch straight to the pump or do you have the intermittent wipe relay? if it's straight to the pump, one of those wires from the carmagic switch goes to the + side of the pump, the other goes to a switched power source at the fuse box. then the - connection on the pump goes to a ground.

Thank you, i think I have the intermittent option, but I have never had the pleasure of driving this car. It was not running when I purchased it.
Isn’t the relay in the picture, part of the wiper intermittent system?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
zfisher6164
post Oct 28 2020, 08:42 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 22,809
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 25 2020, 06:32 PM) *

Thank you, i think I have the intermittent option, but I have never had the pleasure of driving this car. It was not running when I purchased it.

Attached Image

Yes that is the rely, my wipers went off everyonce in awhile then a put a new relay in and now that work like normal, a very easy fix
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 1 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #46

Finally received the upper bearing for the steering column. It was more difficult to get the bearing started on the shaft than I imagined, but once started, i was able to push it down into its seat with a fair amount of pressure with my fingers.

Attached Image

And then it was time to install the blinker/washer module into the column. I added a little protection to the new wires coming from the wiper washer switch going through the column.

Attached Image

All ready for the install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 4 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #47

I purchased this kit to clean and seal my gas tank. More pictures to come.

Attached Image

I am starting to work on the interior wiring and am not sure if this green and white wire goes to the heater lever or not. I accounted for all the other wires in the area that go to the 3gauge pod except a black and blue wire, but it has a small connector on it so I know it’s not for this lever. I did connect the green and white wire but when I tried to bolt the lever down it was too short. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The wire loom is the only thing I did not remove from the car, so theoretically, everything should be in the same place. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Attached Image

Not sure if this is the way the wire is routed.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
djway
post Nov 5 2020, 01:27 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

I don't think that is the proper routing for the wire. Check by the cross support for an opening.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 5 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(djway @ Nov 5 2020, 02:27 AM) *

I don't think that is the proper routing for the wire. Check by the cross support for an opening.

Yes, I believe you are right, I should have had that wire exit the loom closer to the cross bar. After I cleaned the loom, I retapped this area and probably should have not taped over the green and white one.

I think I’ll undo some of the tape and reroute it through the side of the tunnel.

Attached Image

Thank you,
John
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 5 2020, 01:26 PM
Post #50

I discovered this today, after installing the dash and now connecting everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I will now have to undo much of what I have been working on to fix this problem.

I am not sure which orientation is correct, I think the drivers side is the correct. Notice the side of the metal dash, the drivers side is on the outside and the passenger side is on the inside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I guess it could have been worse, I could have been completely done with the dash, steering wheel, etc.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 7 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #51

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 5 2020, 12:26 PM) *
I discovered this today, after installing the dash and now connecting everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I will now have to undo much of what I have been working on to fix this problem.

I am not sure which orientation is correct, I think the drivers side is the correct. Notice the side of the metal dash, the drivers side is on the outside and the passenger side is on the inside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I guess it could have been worse, I could have been completely done with the dash, steering wheel, etc.

That is a very good question. And one I'll need an answer to at some point in the future. I'll give you a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 11 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #52

Figured it out, it has to go on the outside to tighten up. After disconnecting a bunch of stuff, I was able to positioned correctly.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The remaining speed nut is where the bottom pad and vents fasten to.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 11 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #53

Has anyone had any issues with the 914 Rubber dash top? I have tried everything to get the ash tray gap to an acceptable amount, but no such luck. It appears to me that the mold may have been off because the horizontal area above the tray is not straight. I would be more willing to accept this if it didn’t fit so much better in the old dash top. The other thing is the left side is not sitting properly around the gauge pod. It seems to be kicked up a bit.
I know it is attached properly as I had the entire dash out for the restoration. And was able to get to everything easily to make sure it was right. This is the one piece I was hoping would put a smile on my face... not so much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Maybe I just need to let it sit out the sun for a while???
914 Rubber has been a great resource to get this car to where it is today and where it will be in the future. I’m just frustrated in this crowning jewel piece of the interior.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Morph914
post Dec 2 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #54

I am getting ready to install the fuel pump on the engine fire wall. I was going to move it to the front near the fuel tank but have decided for now to keep it close to the original location being that the electrical is in place and can be readily connected. I was going to use riv nuts to mount it, but this requires a fairly large hole to be drilled, and I do not have the tool. What have you used to mount your pump in this area?

Attached Image

Also getting the fuel tank ready to install, I received the newly plated line that connects at the bottom of the tank, ( thanks bdstone ). His came with two gaskets or fiber washers, is this correct? If so, I need to find a new set for the larger line ( maybe Ace has these).
I plan to use the braided fuel line underneath the tank due to its flexibility, but not sure in the engine compartment, does one have an advantage over the other?

Attached Image

Today I was able to spend a bit of time cleaning and inspecting the transmission before I attach to the engine.

Attached Image

I do not know the history of this trans so I was wanting to at least reseal it before running, but now have decided to put fresh 90 wt and run it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 2 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 11 2020, 03:26 PM) *

Has anyone had any issues with the 914 Rubber dash top? I have tried everything to get the ash tray gap to an acceptable amount, but no such luck. It appears to me that the mold may have been off because the horizontal area above the tray is not straight. I would be more willing to accept this if it didn’t fit so much better in the old dash top. The other thing is the left side is not sitting properly around the gauge pod. It seems to be kicked up a bit.
I know it is attached properly as I had the entire dash out for the restoration. And was able to get to everything easily to make sure it was right. This is the one piece I was hoping would put a smile on my face... not so much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
914 Rubber has been a great resource to get this car to where it is today and where it will be in the future. I’m just frustrated in this crowning jewel piece of the interior.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Yes! Mine is like that too. I tried adjusting the little screws on the back to raise it up but ran out of adjustment. I put it on the back burner as something to try to tackle later but it does drive me nuts every time I look at it. Also like you, the gap in the original dash was very good.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 2 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #56

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Attached Image

huh, i knew i had the option listed on the COA ans purchase paperwork but didn’t know what that thing was ans it never worked so i probably just need a new relay too- where did you buy it?
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Dec 3 2020, 08:26 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 2 2020, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 11 2020, 03:26 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Yes! Mine is like that too. I tried adjusting the little screws on the back to raise it up but ran out of adjustment. I put it on the back burner as something to try to tackle later but it does drive me nuts every time I look at it. Also like you, the gap in the original dash was very good.

I finally decided to go back to my old dash top as it only had two small cracks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I have nothing bad to say about 914 Rubber, as they have been a pleasure to work with. This car is 47 years old so who knows what has happened to it over the course of its existence.
Although it’s a tough pill to swallow, I can’t let it deter from the project progressing. Onward!
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Dec 3 2020, 08:33 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 2 2020, 11:34 PM) *

Attached Image

huh, i knew i had the option listed on the COA ans purchase paperwork but didn’t know what that thing was ans it never worked so i probably just need a new relay too- where did you buy it?

This was already installed on the car when I purchased it. I have seen these for sale, just can’t remember where.
I have yet to hook the wiring up other than installing a ground wire to the negative terminal of the pump. I know one of the wires from the carmagic switch goes to the positive terminal of the pump, but not sure about the other if it goes to a switched side of the fuse panel or since mine has the relay for intermittent wipers, if it goes to the brown wire off the relay.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 3 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #59

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Dec 3 2020, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 2 2020, 11:34 PM) *

This was already installed on the car when I purchased it. I have seen these for sale, just can’t remember where.
I have yet to hook the wiring up other than installing a ground wire to the negative terminal of the pump. I know one of the wires from the carmagic switch goes to the positive terminal of the pump, but not sure about the other if it goes to a switched side of the fuse panel or since mine has the relay for intermittent wipers, if it goes to the brown wire off the relay.

I made my own intermittent wiper harness and bought the relay on ebay. Jeff Bowlsby has a great write up on them that includes part #s to look for: https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/Wip...nstructions.pdf
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Dec 17 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #60

So I already have the intermittent relay on my car. I have installed the car magic switch in the column. The new washer pump has been installed under the reservoir, I have grounded the pump and run a wire to from the positive terminal of the pump up to the column, this wire will connect to one of the car magic wires, but I am not sure if the other wire goes to the switched side of the fuse panel or the intermittent relay.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

You can see the two blue carmagic wires, one of those will connect to the red wire from the washer pump. Ian am looking for direction on where the other should go.

Attached Image

I am trying to get all these little loose ends tied up before dropping the fuel tank in, as it is much harder to work in there with it installed.
I am using the braided fuel line under the tank as it is much more flexible. I will probably add enough extra to lift the tank out without having to remove the lines.

Attached Image

Also wondering what this hole next to the brake fluid lines is for. I don’t want to install the tank more than once if possible.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:48 PM