Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Freshening up an older 914-6 conversion:, Making a 914-6 Conversion your own
mb911
post Nov 28 2020, 06:30 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 27 2020, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 27 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Score.

Totally unexpected one at that. Bought them about 12 years ago for a 914-6 conversion I did and never put them on. Wound up storing them and months turned into years. Completely forgot I had them. They are REALLY nice.

Dunno what to do with them. I really like the 993 heater boxes on this 914-6 with the dual CATS. I might clean these up and put them up for sale? Dunno?

I'm still very impressed with the mechanics on this 914-6. The engine is sweet music, the hydro lifters are so nice, the CIS provides limited power, but still packs a smooth punch with no hesitation or stinky gas smell.

Can't wait to find some time to get this 914 back to its original Blue. Spring I'm hoping.

Hydro lifters? 993 engine?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 28 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #42

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 28 2020, 04:30 AM) *

Score.

Totally unexpected one at that. Bought them about 12 years ago for a 914-6 conversion I did and never put them on. Wound up storing them and months turned into years. Completely forgot I had them. They are REALLY nice.

Dunno what to do with them. I really like the 993 heater boxes on this 914-6 with the dual CATS. I might clean these up and put them up for sale? Dunno?

I'm still very impressed with the mechanics on this 914-6. The engine is sweet music, the hydro lifters are so nice, the CIS provides limited power, but still packs a smooth punch with no hesitation or stinky gas smell.

Can't wait to find some time to get this 914 back to its original Blue. Spring I'm hoping.

Hydro lifters? 993 engine?

993 cam caps, 964 cams, 993 lifters. I cannot take any credit for the engine. It's a $22k engine in a $5k 914 at the moment.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 28 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #43

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Does us all good seeing this!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 30 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #44

Village Idiot

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 27 2020, 09:43 PM) *

Score.

So Dan, when you get around to all that sanding and stuff to do the repaint, why don't you fly on over to the PT airport and pick me up? I'll help with all that dirty, mindless stuff and then you can drop me off back at the airport. I only live about 5 minutes away from there. I'll even buy you lunch at the Spruce Goose.

Probably take you up on that when the time comes Marc. I really don't like body work, dust, stinky paint, yuck!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 30 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #45

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 30 2020, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 27 2020, 09:43 PM) *

Score.

So Dan, when you get around to all that sanding and stuff to do the repaint, why don't you fly on over to the PT airport and pick me up? I'll help with all that dirty, mindless stuff and then you can drop me off back at the airport. I only live about 5 minutes away from there. I'll even buy you lunch at the Spruce Goose.

Probably take you up on that when the time comes Marc. I really don't like body work, dust, stinky paint, yuck!

I’ll be the guy standing next to the runway with his thumb out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Dec 13 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #46

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

Hey Dan!!It is great to see you back into a 914 again! When all this shit blows over It will be great to see you and the car in person! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 14 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #47

Village Idiot

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 13 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Hey Dan!!It is great to see you back into a 914 again! When all this shit blows over It will be great to see you and the car in person! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Michelle and I sure miss our little go-to spots in Victoria and Vancouver. Be good to catch up guys someday soon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 14 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #48

Village Idiot

Little update on this yet to be started project:

PO installed an MK1 ignition switch and column. Pretty ingenuous really as I have elect washer pump and intermittent wipers. Only pickle about it is using two keys, one MK1 VW key for ign and 914 key for doors and lid. I got all that sorted this weekend. Was able to rekey doors and rear lock to use the MK1 key. I even documented my wafer numbers and position so keys can be made by code. I'll see if I can rekey the front trunk and glove box next.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Dec 18 2020, 11:56 PM
Post #49

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 14 2020, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 13 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Michelle and I sure miss our little go-to spots in Victoria and Vancouver. Be good to catch up guys someday soon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

When the damn border opens up... This covid thing is starting to cramp my style. It makes it tougher and more expensive to get parts up here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 1 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #50

Village Idiot

Sourced a nicer hood as the original hood would have required a lot of work. Thanks Rich @914Werke for the parts.

Looking worse before it'll get better with paint. Getting closer to taking it all apart for body work.

Nice to drive it over the weekend.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 1 2021, 10:51 AM
Post #51

Village Idiot

Another picture showing all the colors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 8 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #52

Village Idiot

Still trying to get the 914 prepped for body work and paint.

Put on new shoes over the weekend. 16x6's all around. This is the 914's configuration, no flares or anything.

Was the first time I've had a chance to stick my head behind the wheels. Factory front and rear sway bars = kinda cool. Given this 914 was a dealer AC car, it also had a center console at one time. This was one option loaded 914 in 1975 for sure.

Want to lower it about an inch.

I continue to be impressed by the lack of rust on this 914. Everywhere I look, it's just solid.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 19 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #53

Village Idiot

After almost exactly one year after driving the 980 miles close to home, the 914 is home.

I now have more time to actually work on it.

Today was about fixing wiring.

Installed a 911 Combo gauge, fuel gauge you can see by the cig lighter. This allowed me to remove the 4 gauges hanging below the dash.

Wiring is a little hacked up here and there. I'm making it better, but not show quality. Just ensuring everything is grounded, wire colors are mostly correct etc.

One of the more impressive things he did was install an MK1 column. Electric washers and wiper delay are part of the conversion. No complaints there!

For the moment, what a mess:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 19 2021, 05:01 PM
Post #54

Village Idiot

Forgot:

Swapped out the plastic 3-pod gauge face for a nice metal unit. No more ECR or CAT lights. Also installed 914-Rubber speaker pods.

This 914 needs a lot of attention.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 19 2021, 06:00 PM
Post #55

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I like the work you are doing to that car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 22 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #56

Village Idiot

Got around to welding in the trunk floor to patch up the old dealer installed AC system.

Not my cleanest welding, but doesn't need to be. Must have welded up a dozen little holes from screws used to hold in hoses and other AC related parts. Still have a few holes to plug:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 22 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #57

Village Idiot

Little nervous about pulling off the passenger side cover. Gotta keep removing AC stuff and check for rust. Was very surprised to see nice clean paint! Everything is really solid. Worst rust is only a bit of surface where the AC lines pass into the front wheel well.

Gotta love a life long CA 914.

Check out how much dirt still came out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 23 2021, 07:56 AM
Post #58

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That's amazingly clean, even for a CA car. The only reason my Six was not rusted through was it looked like the Exon Valdez inside and underneath. As bad as that was to see, it kept it from being a rust bucket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 23 2021, 08:49 AM
Post #59

Village Idiot

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 23 2021, 06:56 AM) *

That's amazingly clean, even for a CA car. The only reason my Six was not rusted through was it looked like the Exon Valdez inside and underneath. As bad as that was to see, it kept it from being a rust bucket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Little similar with this 914. The whole area where you normally find rust had an oily coating on it mixed in with the dirt. It probably helped protect it! Even took a piece of weed whacker plastic string and knocked out as much as I could from the jack point drain hole. Sheese, cleaned right up!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 23 2021, 08:54 AM
Post #60

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Have you nailed down a paint guy or doing it at home?
+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:59 PM