Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freshening up an older 914-6 conversion:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Root_Werks
Michelle and I picked up our new to us 914-6 over the weekend. We practiced social distancing and kept safe. Two days home, 920 miles, the 914 never missed a beat.

Here's a picture at a rest stop about 30% of the way home.
Root_Werks
The engine is a 2.7 with CIS, Aluminum case, 993 cam towers and cams with hydro lifters. Seat of the pants has me thinking around 180hp.

The paint sucks.

BUT, I don't care, it's a solid 914 with about 3 Mayco paint jobs slathered over the original Anacona Blue. I originally thought I wouldn't repaint for a year or so, but that I won't make it that long. This thing needs to be stripped and painted correctly.

From the Sellers original Ad:

The one of a kind engine is built as a tribute to the Porsche air cooled engine design with components and improvements considered the best over the 30+ year history of the 911 engine design evolutions.
Engine approximately 5000 miles on rebuild
- 1968 early sand cast case (#3380133) bored for 2.7, oil bypass modification, oil squirters added. Work done by Ollies
- Original 911S 8.5:1 CIS pistons and Nikasil cylinders.
- 74 911S heads with 46/40 valves rebuilt by Ted Robinson at German Precision.
- 94 993 cams with keyway, 993 cam towers, 993 valve covers and 993 hydraulic lifters.
- Hydraulic chain tensioners.
- 911SC aluminum 4 rib oil pump 911-107-008-05
- Original 74 911S CIS fuel injection.
- Genuine 914-6 oil tank.

Exhaust
993 heat exchangers into dual inlet stock muffler

Wheels
Genuine Fuchs alloys, rear are deep sixes

Brakes and suspension
- Front 911S front struts, calipers and rotors with 3.5" caliper mounting
- Rear 911S calipers and rotors with drum-in-hat parking brake
- 180lb rear springs

MSD electronic ignition and distributor module.

Body in original condition except for paint. Original paint was L97B Anacona Blue Metallic. No rust.

Owned since 1987
Tom
Dan,
Good to hear you are back in 914's. Not surprised your 914 is red. What color will the repaint be? Starting to really regret selling mine. Damn that was a solid car body wise! I sure disliked those hydraulic lifters in it tho". If it was driven every day, all was fine. But let it sit several days and clatter away for 10-15 minutes. Used to scare me how much noise they made. Do the hydros in 6s do that?
Later,
Tom
ValcoOscar
Nice score....

Need more details and pictures PLEASE popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
PanelBilly
I’d like to see how they used the 993 heat exchangers and I wish we didn’t need to deal with this coronavirus because I’d love to help you sand down that body.
Cairo94507
Congrats on your new car and a successful, safe trip home. Looking forward to see what you do with that baby. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Picture of the 993 heater boxes.

The heater works really well, nice clean heat. Very good airflow.

If you look closely, notice there's no 914-6 bulkhead or cross bar. He modified the 911 bar and put mounts on the engine bay shelves. I'm eh about it, he reinforced the shelves and it looks okay. But I'm pretty certain I'll install a bulkhead mount.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 25 2020, 10:37 AM) *

Dan,
Good to hear you are back in 914's. Not surprised your 914 is red. What color will the repaint be? Starting to really regret selling mine. Damn that was a solid car body wise! I sure disliked those hydraulic lifters in it tho". If it was driven every day, all was fine. But let it sit several days and clatter away for 10-15 minutes. Used to scare me how much noise they made. Do the hydros in 6s do that?
Later,
Tom

Lifters so far have been quiet, but I haven't let the engine sit. My Mexi Bug (2003) will clatter every once in a while if the Bug has sat for a few weeks. Oil makes a big difference. 5/40W seems to do the best.
TravisNeff
I like it! congrats
914werke
first.gif
Jett
Nice car!
Root_Werks
With building a house as my first priority, I'm not getting anything done on the 914-6 other than order up some parts here and there.

I drove it again last week and oh-boy, that is one sweet engine! With CIS, CATS and hydro-lifters, I'm certain the 2.7 isn't living up to it's potential. But it has plenty of power, very quiet and the heat works so fast and so well.

Here's a picture sitting next to my Bug:
Root_Werks
And this is why the paint/color change will happen sooner than later. Yes, you can see instead of painting red in things like trunks and door jams, there is brushed on black paint.

Looks like someone tried to clean around the VIN sticker (New on already one the way from Car-Bone.pl) and destroyed it.

I'm hoping this year I'll get the 914 stripped down and painted back to the original Anacona Blue.
Sprout
Congratulations! Sounds like it was a great, long drive home. The original Ancona Blue would look sharp!
IronHillRestorations
piratenanner.gif Nice find! Sounds like a fun car with that engine in it!
Mark Henry
Is the case aluminum? There's $10k right there!
I'd like to see more pics of the exhaust when you get them. 993 shouldn't be that bad for flow, Porsche was getting better with exhaust systems by then. That size of cats and they're away from the engine, hot but shouldn't cause issues.
Nice score, I knew you'd be back into a /6. biggrin.gif
mb911
993 heat exchangers work great.. They are not equal length but they are 1.625.. I ran these on my 911 turbo 3.2 short stroke build.. Worked really well.

I would highly recommend running the mad dog factory style bulk head mount. It allows for the most clearance every which way you look at it.
windforfun
Congrats. You're a lucky guy!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 8 2020, 02:28 PM) *

993 heat exchangers work great.. They are not equal length but they are 1.625.. I ran these on my 911 turbo 3.2 short stroke build.. Worked really well.

I would highly recommend running the mad dog factory style bulk head mount. It allows for the most clearance every which way you look at it.

@mb911 I already purchased your regular 914-6 bulkhead mount. Will that work with 993 HX's? If not, maybe I need to upgrade to the factory style.
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 8 2020, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 8 2020, 02:28 PM) *

@mb911 I already purchased your regular 914-6 bulkhead mount. Will that work with 993 HX's? If not, maybe I need to upgrade to the factory style.

Sorry I am not the producer of any engine mounts.. I would think the regular bulkhead would work. I would love to sell you a set of my 1.625 heat exchangers though not sure you really need them..
mb911
Maddog is the producer of engine mounts and that is whom I was talking about.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 8 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Ah, sorry Ben, got the user ID's crossed in my little head.
jim_hoyland
Nice Dan,HAVE FUN smile.gif

Remember this beauty....
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 8 2020, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 8 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Ah, sorry Ben, got the user ID's crossed in my little head.

No problem. I am the oil line , header, heat exchanger, oil tank , muffler guy
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 8 2020, 07:24 AM) *

And this is why the paint/color change will happen sooner than later. Yes, you can see instead of painting red in things like trunks and door jams, PO took some sort of paint and a brush and went to town.

He tried to clean around the VIN sticker (New on already one the way from Car-Bone.pl) and destroyed it.

I'm hoping this year I'll get the 914 stripped down and painted back to the original Anacona Blue.

Your car must be early November and mine later. Few hundred apart but still siblings I suppose. Mine is laguna blau.
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Belated congratulations @Root_Werks !
eric9144
Awesome!! Congratulations @Root_Werks first.gif focus on the house, don't stress the paint, drive the $hit out of it in the meantime driving.gif beerchug.gif
davehg
Congrats and nice to see another 2.7 conversion in the PNW.

I was curious about the engine build, sounds like you have some interesting pieces. I didn’t know you could use a 993 cam in a 2.7. And starting with an early aluminum block is nice. My mag case needed a bit of work at Ollies as they are prone to need.

From what I have gleaned from my own 2.7 build, the CIS pistons are the main holdback to getting more power. I used 2.7 Euro RS pistons for my build with a solex cam, to get more usable grunt on the street. I also had the CIS swapped for Webers and when I had the heads redone at ollies, I had ollies redrill them for a twin plug setup and used a modified Bosch distributor, with an MSD box. Hoping to get about 230-240 hp.

I used a Rich Johnston mount for my 2.7 and I am quite happy with it. Rich also sells the throttle linkage to add Weber’s or PMOs. I think he is at a914guy@aol.com. The mount required welding to the bulkhead. I also had an access bay cut into the bulkhead to make changing belts much easier without having to drop the engine.

The engine mount used for my 3.2 conversion was sort of custom but similar to the Patrick Motorsport mount.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 8 2020, 03:52 PM) *

Nice Dan,HAVE FUN smile.gif

Remember this beauty....

Yup! Had no luck tracking it down. I would have tried to buy that one back, but it wasn't in the cards.
sixnotfour
Dan, the last I heard it was at a body shop ..again...motor was sold separately,

I saw your new 914 on Samba...that engine is neato..

Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 9 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Dan, the last I heard it was at a body shop ..again...motor was sold separately,

I saw your new 914 on Samba...that engine is neato..

Thanks Jeff, it's the reason (engine) I bought it. The 914 itself is really solid, but the finish and attention to detail is rather sloppy. It'll be a fun project once the house it done.
Bleyseng
a pic from awhile ago
Root_Werks
If memory serves, I believe I was picking up a solid 2.4 ROW engine from you. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
HaHa, I bought a 914-6 and parts from Craig, That engine was in the parts pile...still have it.... beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Tinkered on the 914 today, swapped bumpers and rear lid.
Root_Werks
Found these tucked away
mb911
Score.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 27 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Score.

Totally unexpected one at that. Bought them about 12 years ago for a 914-6 conversion I did and never put them on. Wound up storing them and months turned into years. Completely forgot I had them. They are REALLY nice.

Dunno what to do with them. I really like the 993 heater boxes on this 914-6 with the dual CATS. I might clean these up and put them up for sale? Dunno?

I'm still very impressed with the mechanics on this 914-6. The engine is sweet music, the hydro lifters are so nice, the CIS provides limited power, but still packs a smooth punch with no hesitation or stinky gas smell.

Can't wait to find some time to get this 914 back to its original Blue. Spring I'm hoping.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 27 2020, 08:20 PM) *

Score.

Totally unexpected one at that. Bought them about 12 years ago for a 914-6 conversion I did and never put them on. Wound up storing them and months turned into years. Completely forgot I had them. They are REALLY nice.

Dunno what to do with them. I really like the 993 heater boxes on this 914-6 with the dual CATS. I might clean these up and put them up for sale? Dunno?

I'm still very impressed with the mechanics on this 914-6. The engine is sweet music, the hydro lifters are so nice, the CIS provides limited power, but still packs a smooth punch with no hesitation or stinky gas smell.

Can't wait to find some time to get this 914 back to its original Blue. Spring I'm hoping.

So Dan, when you get around to all that sanding and stuff to do the repaint, why don't you fly on over to the PT airport and pick me up? I'll help with all that dirty, mindless stuff and then you can drop me off back at the airport. I only live about 5 minutes away from there. I'll even buy you lunch at the Spruce Goose.
infraredcalvin
Nice to see the 993 HEs on a 6, I’d like to see more pics of the setup. I have an extra set of them that I was just wondering if anyone has ever used on a 914.
mb911

Score.

Hydro lifters? 993 engine?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 28 2020, 04:30 AM) *

Score.

Hydro lifters? 993 engine?

993 cam caps, 964 cams, 993 lifters. I cannot take any credit for the engine. It's a $22k engine in a $5k 914 at the moment.
Rand
Does us all good seeing this!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 27 2020, 09:43 PM) *

Score.

So Dan, when you get around to all that sanding and stuff to do the repaint, why don't you fly on over to the PT airport and pick me up? I'll help with all that dirty, mindless stuff and then you can drop me off back at the airport. I only live about 5 minutes away from there. I'll even buy you lunch at the Spruce Goose.

Probably take you up on that when the time comes Marc. I really don't like body work, dust, stinky paint, yuck!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 30 2020, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 27 2020, 09:43 PM) *

Score.

Probably take you up on that when the time comes Marc. I really don't like body work, dust, stinky paint, yuck!

I’ll be the guy standing next to the runway with his thumb out. biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
Hey Dan!!It is great to see you back into a 914 again! When all this shit blows over It will be great to see you and the car in person! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 13 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Hey Dan!!It is great to see you back into a 914 again! When all this shit blows over It will be great to see you and the car in person! biggrin.gif

Michelle and I sure miss our little go-to spots in Victoria and Vancouver. Be good to catch up guys someday soon.

beerchug.gif

Root_Werks
Little update on this yet to be started project:

PO installed an MK1 ignition switch and column. Pretty ingenuous really as I have elect washer pump and intermittent wipers. Only pickle about it is using two keys, one MK1 VW key for ign and 914 key for doors and lid. I got all that sorted this weekend. Was able to rekey doors and rear lock to use the MK1 key. I even documented my wafer numbers and position so keys can be made by code. I'll see if I can rekey the front trunk and glove box next.
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 14 2020, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 13 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Michelle and I sure miss our little go-to spots in Victoria and Vancouver. Be good to catch up guys someday soon.

beerchug.gif

When the damn border opens up... This covid thing is starting to cramp my style. It makes it tougher and more expensive to get parts up here. mad.gif mad.gif
Root_Werks
Sourced a nicer hood as the original hood would have required a lot of work. Thanks Rich @914Werke for the parts.

Looking worse before it'll get better with paint. Getting closer to taking it all apart for body work.

Nice to drive it over the weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.