Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freshening up an older 914-6 conversion:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mepstein
Fresh paint makes it look fantastic!
BillJ
Wonderful color. I really like blue on these cars.
rjames
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2022, 08:30 AM) *

Thanks all for the comments and encouragement! Correct this isn't the project I wanted to get into, but it'll turn out the way I want in the end.

Gaps look damn near perfect from the picture.
Such a great color! Can't wait to see this one finished. Congrats, Dan!
Root_Werks
Last night got all new lights installed and working. New taillight housings and lenses, didn't know reverse lights were so bright!

Dropped some oil in the tank and cranked over the engine. Oil pressure built up very quickly.

I LOVE the High-TQ starter! Holy turnover Batman, it really spins the engine over with authority!

If I get the proper length exhaust studs shortly, hoping to fire this up next week.
Root_Werks
Need a little help on this one; 914-6 Heater boxes installed last night, even connected the flappers and tubes.

The muffler seems to sit in the correct position, the muffler seam is roughly in line with the bottom of the body, but the tailpipe is really low. As-in, doesn't even exit through the valence.

I forgot to take a picture last night, but it's the same as it's always been.

Is this just a tailpipe thing? Or do I need to get a different muffler? I can reweld the tailpipe, but I think the muffler is SS.

Thoughts? Sarcastic comments? idea.gif

Root_Werks
Snagged a picture from @914043 thread (thanks!).

Looks like my muffler position is correct, but my tailpipe is weird. Ugh, I'll have to see about fixing that.

WTF? Why would someone use a tailpipe configured like that?

Here's how it should be:

DBF
Enjoyed reading the thread about your project. The car looks great. Good luck on the quest to getting it back on the road.
mb911
The muffler is likely off an 74 and up 911. The tail pipe comes out at a different angle.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2022, 04:45 AM) *

The muffler is likely off an 74 and up 911. The tail pipe comes out at a different angle.

Thanks Ben, that makes sense. Mufflers aren't cheap so I'll likely just cut and weld the tip to be correct.

It's getting close to starting the engine.

Punch list to start:

Install fuel tank and pump
Install filter and accumulator assembly
Find new/better home for MSD 6A box

I think that's it, would be nice to hear it run again.
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 26 2022, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2022, 04:45 AM) *

Thanks Ben, that makes sense. Mufflers aren't cheap so I'll likely just cut and weld the tip to be correct.

It's getting close to starting the engine.

Punch list to start:

Install fuel tank and pump
Install filter and accumulator assembly
Find new/better home for MSD 6A box

I think that's it, would be nice to hear it run again.

Yup cut the tail pipe and you will be all set. PS I might be in the muffler business again in the not to distant future.
Root_Werks
Slowly knocked out a bit of the punch list to starting.

Fuel tank and fuel pump are back in with new lines.

Here's another Trunk pic.

You can see the fuel pump waiting for a cover with fresh paint to dry.

Bleed the brakes.

Fabbed up a mount for the fuel filter and accumulator. It'll mount roughly where the 4cyl MPS mounted. This now frees up space to mount the MSD 6A box where the 4cyl ECU mounted, yay!

There's a chance I might just light this thing up tomorrow! mueba.gif

KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 26 2022, 07:23 PM) *

Slowly knocked out a bit of the punch list to starting.

Fuel tank and fuel pump are back in with new lines.

Here's another Trunk pic.

You can see the fuel pump waiting for a cover with fresh paint to dry.

Bleed the brakes.

Fabbed up a mount for the fuel filter and accumulator. It'll mount roughly where the 4cyl MPS mounted. This now frees up space to mount the MSD 6A box where the 4cyl ECU mounted, yay!

There's a chance I might just light this thing up tomorrow! mueba.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Root_Werks
One downside of living on an Island is lack of supplies at times. I didn't realize I ran out of the high pressure fuel line = ugh. Both parts stores are closed on Sunday. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Meantime, finished the headlight install and adjust. This takes a bunch of time just in it of itself. New H4 headlights and surounds, everything turned out really nice.

Root_Werks
Also forgot I bought one of the protector blankets, this thing rocks! I've been using old bath towels this whole time.

Starting the engine is coming up soon. It'll be nice to get the 914 off jackstatnds if just for a little bit.

burton73
Dan,

Your car is looking great. I love the blue

Bob B
sixnotfour
Lookin Good Dan... I like blue too
Root_Werks
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 27 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Dan,

Your car is looking great. I love the blue

Bob B

Thanks Bob! My 1976 914-6 Steel Top was Anacona Blue. It also started life as a 4cyl I converted to a six with narrow body and 16x6's that looked almost exactly like this 914-6. I'm basically building the 914 I had almost 20 years ago again. Always liked the look with the late bumpers, period correct Fuchs and stock 914 body and trim.

-Dan
76-914
I like the late bumpers too. And I like the chrome ones too. Having driven both I swear, or in my mind at least, the car with late style bumpers handles better on the Hi Way. Is that a 140 in your hanger?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 27 2022, 06:01 PM) *

I like the late bumpers too. And I like the chrome ones too. Having driven both I swear, or in my mind at least, the car with late style bumpers handles better on the Hi Way. Is that a 140 in your hanger?

Luscombe 8A, bought from a friend of mine years ago. Probably never sell it until I can't fly anymore.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2022, 05:18 PM) *

Lookin Good Dan... I like blue too

Thanks Jeff, a bit of a blast from the past for me.
Root_Werks
It lives! Fired up today and let warm up a bit. Checked for leaks, noting a little oil coming from the rear main seal. Didn't do that before and hoping it goes away with time. Oil and fuel lines all seem good.

I put a set of the Beru ignition wires on and one of them won't click or lock onto the spark plug. Frustrating. Got a bit of popping and farting, has been sitting for 9 months. Needs to be driven.
Root_Werks
Last night was able to get the bumper installed and used LE valance from @914Werke which looks great. Also installed a set of driving lights. Was pleased the wires were all there and plugged straight into the stock 914 harness. I have a proper switch and hoping the rest of the addition of driving lights goes so smooth.

1970's Porsche driving lights are not light, adding those to the bumper really gave me a workout when installing!

Also getting tired of working on the 914 under the wing. I've bumped my head a hundred times. It'll be nice to get it off jackstands and over to a clearer part of the hangar.

Dion
You had it fired up ?! That’s awesome! It’s coming along nicely…. and quickly. Glad you sorted the CIS fuel set up.
Root_Werks
First drive in 9 months and it was glorious! Lifters quieted down right away, ran just as it did before.

There's a bunch to do still for sure, but it drives again! SO looking forward to making a few events this summer with the 914.

driving.gif

Cairo94507
Amazing time-line. Glad to see it running and looking so beautiful.
Root_Werks
Put some miles on the 914 today. Heater works very well.

Swapped out the rear KYB's that came on the 914 for a set of oil filled Koni's = Much better! Running 100lb W springs which is just fine with me.

I have 140's and 180's I'll probably sell now.

Root_Werks
I should have taken another picture or two after the rockers were installed. Picked them up from the powder coater today and they look really nice. Really helps to complete the outside of the 914.

Still to do:

Waiting on orders from 914Rubber so I can finish installing door glass.
Replace windshield and trim, have both new.
Install engine grill
Should I leave under the grill body color or is it supposed to be black?

I still need to buy carpet, mats and seat kits. Those may have to wait a while.

driving.gif

mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2022, 03:03 PM) *

I should have taken another picture or two after the rockers were installed. Picked them up from the powder coater today and they look really nice. Really helps to complete the outside of the 914.

Still to do:

Waiting on orders from 914Rubber so I can finish installing door glass.
Replace windshield and trim, have both new.
Install engine grill
Should I leave under the grill body color or is it supposed to be black?

I still need to buy carpet, mats and seat kits. Those may have to wait a while.

driving.gif

What seat kits are you looking for? I have a new set of hounds tooth that I will not be using.

PM if you want details.
TRS63
Good times when it's back on the road ! Enjoy!

Antoine
Root_Werks
Got door windows installed and mostly adjusted. Still a little tweaking to do. Hands and mostly thumb still hurt a day later from installing all the rubber seals. I don't know any other way than to insert one side, then slowly tuck with screw driver 3-4mm at a time. Takes forever, but turns out nice.

Going to install the new windshield and trim shortly. I ordered new trim from Stoddard and was happy it wasn't folded. Came in a huge box with lots of packing material.

Root_Werks
Turning attention to interior a bit more. Using VW Bus door pulls which I've done in the past. Roughly 6 1/4" between holes in the handle seem to give a good spacing so the handle isn't pulled too tight or the loop isn't too tall. About 1 3/8" off the original square hole. Just move the square speed nut thing and done.

Not planning on using any of the factory pulls or door pockets. I like these, very simple and strong.

Root_Werks
I goofed on two things with door panels:

Didn't realize 914Rubber pre-punched some of the holes through the vinyl. Super cool, but had to use two little plastic plugs.
I put the interior handles on the wrong side. You don't realize how hard it is to get your finger under the handle to open the door when you come from the bottom instead of the top = oops!

Easy fixes and happy with the nice, clean look:

Root_Werks
Snapping on door panels and laying down carpet is one thing, actually trying to stretch material and make it look good requires skills I may not have.

Just using Duct tape to stretch the new vinyl which works amazingly well. On the fence if I should start gluing, or just find a shop and have them do it?

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Root_Werks
This seems to be the limit of my skill:

PanelBilly
Put the material in a box with a small space heater and let it warm up. Stretches much better then. Roll the fabric over your thump and pull 3”-5” at a time and staple. Having a commercial stapler makes it much easier. Next time you do this let me know and I’ll loan you mine.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 21 2022, 03:16 PM) *

Put the material in a box with a small space heater and let it warm up. Stretches much better then. Roll the fabric over your thump and pull 3”-5” at a time and staple. Having a commercial stapler makes it much easier. Next time you do this let me know and I’ll loan you mine.

Good tips, thanks! This is a fiberglass backing, don't think staples will work. PO glued the edges which did work well.

I didn't think about getting the vinyl warm. The shop is basically outside temp which is probably making things a lot harder.
914werke
steam!
sportlicherFahrer
3M 90 Hi-Strength spray adhesive is your friend for gluing that stuff down. Spray both surfaces, wait a few minutes for it to film over, and then mate surfaces with slight pressure. Stuff held great when I reskinned my seats.
Root_Werks
Still waiting on parts for the next can of worms - replacing the windshield.

Figured I'd clean, paint and install the wiper arms. Why not?

I didn't notice this until I went to install the drivers arm.

Anyone take a guess what's not correct?

scallyk9
Uh, driver side wiper is on passenger side and visa-versa. Check the workshop manual for the correct placement and factory spec on outer tip of passenger wiper blade in inner edge of driver side blade. I think it is 22 or 25 mm. Passenger side outer tip sits higher.
Root_Werks
Two passenger arms, poor pics, sorry about that. Pet peeve of mine, most install reverse.
Root_Werks
@bbrock

Thank you for the cupholder/ashtray detials:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2880139

I think I'm pretty close to done. I messed up the carrier/guide part that mounts to the dash. Sort of goofed up the ashtray as well, but think I salvaged it. Got a used carrier/guide on the way ( thank you @914werke ). Once I get that, I'll finalize the fit and epoxy the cover on the cupholder:

Root_Werks
Pretty happy with the fit. Lots of Dremeling away little bit at a time, test and repeat until the ashtray cover sits nicely.

Do we need an "Ashtray/Cupholder" thread?

autopro
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 5 2022, 03:37 PM) *

Pretty happy with the fit. Lots of Dremeling away little bit at a time, test and repeat until the ashtray cover sits nicely.

Do we need an "Ashtray/Cupholder" thread?

That's great! This is definitely something that I will want to do with mine. Keep up the great work.
bbrock
That looks GREAT! Any tips for improvement to pass along? I still need to make one more and am going to try rivets instead of welding for the carrier parts.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2022, 11:41 AM) *

That looks GREAT! Any tips for improvement to pass along? I still need to make one more and am going to try rivets instead of welding for the carrier parts.

Brent,

Not really anything to improve. I did have to add little tabs as the carrier (former ashtray) would push back too far. Had to experiment how to stop it. Also wound up grinding a lot off the Audi holder face. It stuck out too far.

Here's a shot with epoxy finally showing the end of the little project. The ashtray cap actually fit on pretty snug, but gooped epoxy to ensure it didn't fall off.

Root_Werks
Pulled the windshield last night. I'm lucky the paint around the edges and where the butyl tape sits is almost perfect. Both the painter and myself forgot to remove the windshield before paint. So I just got lucky.

You can also see what a terrible job I did on the backpad. Yuck! The seats are at a shop getting redone. I might see if the shop can redo the backpad as well.

Lesson, when you don't have the skill to do something correctly, get someone who does.

wink.gif

Root_Werks
Installed new dash vinyl and pad along with new rubber trim strip:

Root_Werks
Installed new windshield.

It's about 58 degrees in the shop so you can see I set a radiant heater in the 914. I learned many years ago not to force glass on or off butyl. The glass is perfectly set side to side and top to bottom (you can maybe see spacers on the bottom). Going to let things warm up a bit, gently exfoliate the glass a little deeper into the butyl and install the new trim.

I'm not putting the old dash back in. Hoping @Mikey914 gets the new run of dash tops ready soon.

biggrin.gif

autopro
It's good that you were able to get the dash vinyl without having to take the whole thing out. Looking very nice, like you say hopefully you will be able to get the new dash soon, that will really make your interior look great. Good job on the das and windshield beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.