Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freshening up an older 914-6 conversion:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
raynekat
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2022, 04:03 PM) *

Install engine grill
Should I leave under the grill body color or is it supposed to be black?

Your car looks great.

To me, the black paint under the engine bay grills is one of those small details that sets off a really well done restoration. It's needed.
JMHO
TRS63
Great progress here, thanks for sharing them !

Antoine
Root_Werks
Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments, keeps me going. smash.gif

This morning, ta-da! Trim installed.

mepstein
I pre warm the vinyl with a heat gun and then when it's glued down, warm it again to relax it into shape. Heat will get out the wrinkles. Just go easy and keep the heat gun moving all the time.
Root_Werks
@mb911

Thank you again for the muffler literally off your 914. I really like your early "quiet" version of the muffler. The fit and finish are top notch! Love the exhaust note.

Now I have to decide whether to cut/weld the exhaust tip to exit out the stock 4cyl notch, or buy a blank rear valance.

Root_Werks
Closer shot of the tip:

Would be easy to orient the tip out the notch.

bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 18 2022, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2022, 04:03 PM) *

Install engine grill
Should I leave under the grill body color or is it supposed to be black?

Your car looks great.

To me, the black paint under the engine bay grills is one of those small details that sets off a really well done restoration. It's needed.
JMHO

agree.gif And if you want to really do it right, the black paint should be brushed on rather than sprayed. biggrin.gif You'd be surprised how many people have looked at my car and commented on those brush strokes as a sign of fine craftsmanship. The answer is zero. Zero people have commented dry.gif
914werke
Are you gonna put any script back on the tail?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 2 2022, 02:14 PM) *

Are you gonna put any script back on the tail?

No, if someone doesn't know what it is, eh. smile.gif
Cairo94507
That looks very nice and would look even better if you cut and orient the tip to come out the stock location. I don't believe there is a better exhaust product made for our cars than what Ben was producing. I have his 6 cylinder 2/1 quiet muffler boxed and in storage while I run his little bit louder muffler on my car. It sounds terrific.
Root_Werks
Knowing any older 914 is never truly a completed project, I am willing to say this one is pretty much done. Got seats back from the shop, 914Rubber kits look nice.

Super happy to have this completed before Summer really settles in. Time to drive and enjoy:

driving.gif

Root_Werks
Nice drive today, I think most everything has been shaken out. As many know, when so much is taken apart and put back together, there's always that "oops!" forgot to tighten that bolt or install that clip etc.

Root_Werks
Continued testing of the super cool ashtray/coffee cup holder. Works great! Interior really needs a good detailing since paint and assembly.

Probably won't post much more to this thread as the "Refresh" of a 914-6 conversion has been completed.

Thanks everyone here for all the support. 9 years absent a 914 and feels good to be back in the drivers seat.

eric9144
clap56.gif first.gif
autopro
Congratulations on a great looking car. It's always nice to see a car get finished and enjoyed, you should be proud beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Installed an engine bay pad and took for a test drive today:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...61863&st=20

I have a fear of the six fan sucking in the pad, but seems to have installed very well. All the little tabs and push pin thingies in place. It helped quiet things down for sure.

Nice drive today, the rain has certain come back.

mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 25 2022, 01:18 PM) *

Installed an engine bay pad and took for a test drive today:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...61863&st=20

I have a fear of the six fan sucking in the pad, but seems to have installed very well. All the little tabs and push pin thingies in place. It helped quiet things down for sure.

Nice drive today, the rain has certain come back.

Careful with that. We did some testing on a local conversion that ran a good 30 degrees warmer with a pad installed
sithot
Muffler Ideas:

Photos of a SCART 914 muffler on my '73 2.0. Only muffler I've experienced that doesn't sound like a Type IV/VW...whatever. Great sound.

Here's the 6 version: https://scart.com/en/porsche/914-6/79

I have these on 2 911's as well. These also sound like nothing sold anywhere else. No drone and the nastiest shriek around 3,800 rpm as it comes on. Not loud at all. Drive it all day and you won't be tired of noise. It only makes noise when you push the LOUD pedal.
Construction 2nd to none. Downside is that they are pricey. After all the mufflers I've bought and sold or put away these are the only keepers.

Arling Wang was my source here in the US. https://www.rstrada.com
Good guy, very helpful.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Hard to believe it's been three years since we originally picked up the 914 and drove 900+ miles home. Very glad I was able to find another 914, let alone a six conversion in a color I really wanted. Was sort of a long road to get the six where I wanted it, but the end result has been pretty great.

Last summer I didn't get a chance to take the 914 anywhere. It's been an island 914 since it was painted. Need to fix that, take it on adventurous road trips.

Got to drive it yesterday, drive it so little I mark when I do on the calendar.

driving.gif

914werke
Well there is WCR RRC or R66 ..?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 23 2023, 09:33 AM) *

Well there is WCR RRC or R66 ..?

Trying for something like that. Problem is 3 jobs and island life. We're taking some steps to get back on the mainland and even possibly retire = more time for my toys. Last 2-3 years have been work, work, work. Hardly putting any miles on cars and even fewer hours on the airplane.

Time for a life change. wink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 23 2023, 09:05 AM) *

Hard to believe it's been three years since we originally picked up the 914 and drove 900+ miles home. Very glad I was able to find another 914, let alone a six conversion in a color I really wanted.

Looks like a real sleeper margie_914.jpg
Root_Werks
One of the rear sway bar bushings blew out (old and cracked). I could hear the "clunk, clunk" while driving.

Bought new bushings and rear sway bar tab kit. I knew the PO simply drilled holes through the trunk floor and long bolts (yuck).

Honestly, little embarrassed I didn't do this BEFORE painting the 914.

The 75-76' later bumper 914's use a slightly different kit. The plate with Nuts welded on is flat (no step needed).

I don't know if I needed the extra metal square thingies as this is boxed for the bumper shocks? Covered up two of the holes anyway.

What was removed and would be installed:

Root_Werks
Shot of the trunk, had left over paint I used to touch it up. Turned out nice.

Again, don't know if I needed these extra metal supports on a later 914, figured it couldn't hurt.

No more "clunk, clunk" while driving!

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.