Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freshening up an older 914-6 conversion:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 11 2021, 02:05 PM) *

Nice progress, Dan. Looking forward to seeing the car after the paint job!

Me too! Gonna cost, but will be worth it. smile.gif
PanelBilly
Get one of these bolts with the Allen head for the top of the starter. With an wobble extension you’ll be able to remove the starter after the engine is installed. I paid $4 for one of them but it’s well worth the couple of dollars to save me from trying to use the claw foot wrench to remove the OEM bolt.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Engine/trans back in, left the axels off since I'm flat towing to the Paint guy this weekend! Finally!

Using the time to get as much done and back together as possible. Wiring cleaned up, fuel system is better and installed the fuel tank evap system. Fuel tank is still out for now, but ran the new line through the tunnel, found a very good used can and perfect mounting spot.

Very excited to finally get this off to body shop and paint.

KELTY360
Nice progress but I thought you were getting it painted without the engine installed. Looking forward to seeing you and Michelle on Saturday.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 24 2021, 04:11 PM) *

Nice progress but I thought you were getting it painted without the engine installed. Looking forward to seeing you and Michelle on Saturday.

Waffled back and forth about it. Bottom line is the engine bay isn't nice enough to sand, smooth and paint due to welding, cutting for dealer AC etc. Fixed as much as I could within reason, spray bombed it and done.

Left out things like the oil tank so he has access to inner fender. Trunks and door jams will get painted.

See you Saturday!
Root_Werks
914Werks tow bar with lights all ready to go:

Root_Werks
Shaded by an airplane wing, but can see the inner long kit cleaned and painted.

Ran all my cables, new SS fuel lines and evap hose. While everything was out of the tunnel, I cleaned as best I could, poured paint in the tunnel and jacked one end up really high until paint puddled at the other end. Then reversed the process until paint pooled back at the original end. Then stuck modified long stemmed paint brush as far as I could and just smooshed paint everywhere.

Dried for a week, then installed all new stuff.
Root_Werks
Off we go to our paint guy!

sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
cis / EFI
https://www.bitzracing.com/products/Partial_EFI_KIT/
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 26 2021, 10:35 AM) *

Been eyeballing this for a while. Kinda like the period correct CIS for now.
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 26 2021, 09:35 AM) *

I did that kit on my 3.2 ss turbo build. Ended up using a 3.2 intake but the kit worked great
914werke
That ECU looks to be an MS1 box?
Root_Werks
Took two different ferries to get to the paint shop.

Root_Werks
Second ferry ride.

sixnotfour
Damn Dan,, my mom lives in kingston,, I hate the ferry... Lookin Good
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 27 2021, 03:49 PM) *

Damn Dan,, my mom lives in kingston,, I hate the ferry... Lookin Good

Thanks!

Port Ludlow, that's where the paint guy is. Finding guys who still do body and paint is getting really hard.

Was a fun day, had lunch with Marc, stayed the night in LaConner and headed back the following afternoon. His 914 still looks AMAZING!

Yes, the Ferry system is Love/Hate. Gets you places, but not always when they say. Ferries Saturday were all good, the last one going home Sunday was hell. 3.5 hours sitting in a car. Canceled trips, running late etc.

It's why most of the time we fly on/off the island. That red Jeep normally sits at an airport on the mainland. Freedom to come and go as we please.
Root_Werks
Been a while since last update.

My paint guy had to bug out of the job due to things that were not his doing. He helped me source another shop to pick up where he left off and yesterday it was on it's way to another body shop....again.

At this point, hoping for Spring 2022 to get the 914 back all painted.

Root_Werks
With the 914 gone, I've decided to use the time to swap out the tranny on my Bug. Putting in one of the 4:12 Freeway Flyers from Strictly Foreign. It's been more than a few years since I pulled a Bug engine.

Root_Werks
Swapping axels:

Root_Werks
Got a couple of pictures of the paint progress. Told another block sand, prime then paint. 2-3 weeks until finished:

Root_Werks
Had to remind them to paint the underside of both lids. Importance of keeping in touch with a paint shop that's pretty far away. They weren't planning on it!

Painting the trunks don't really care about, but don't want to open a lid and see a different color. That woulda been an oops!

rjames
smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
WOW. What does a car on a trailer and a tow rig cost to get on the boat?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 16 2022, 06:51 PM) *

Can't recall?

Really looking forward to getting the 914 home and maybe even back on the road for the summer.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 16 2022, 07:51 PM) *

Actually two boats; one to get off the island and another to get over to the peninsula.

Looking good Dan!
jim_hoyland
Nice smile.gif Looking forward to the finished car
Dion
Can’t wait to see it in paint Dan. Looking good. Nice you caught the trunk lids needing attention in time. That’s quite a logistical scenario getting it to and fro your home.
beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Picked up the 914 today! Looks wonderful and will post a few more pics later.
KELTY360
I can verify. Looks great in the morning sun!

Click to view attachment

Dion
Hey! Congrats Dan. That looks great. What blue is that? Is that the “Ancona” ? (spelling¿) Appears nice and
deep. Bet your well pleased. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
My hair is getting so gray.

Shop painted both trunks and cleaned them up better than I would have expected. I didn't have them paint the fuel tank area. It just needs to be cleaned up which I can do.
Root_Werks
Sorry for the sun glare on this shot, I should have opened the rear trunk. It's really nice!

Made it home fine and starting to sift through 4 boxes of 914Rubber gaskets and parts. Already found a few missing pieces I NEED before I can start the 914 again.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 9 2022, 04:49 PM) *

Hey! Congrats Dan. That looks great. What blue is that? Is that the “Ancona” ? (spelling¿) Appears nice and
deep. Bet your well pleased. beerchug.gif

Yup! Anacona Blue, L97B I think? It's the 914's original color.

Super excited, getting this 914 painted was an adventure. The shop stayed within my budget and completed the project fairly quickly considering they got it from another shop.

Two ferries over, crashed at a hotel, 7AM the next morning I was there. Two ferries back and it's home after 8 months gone for paint.
TRS63
Looking really good wub.gif

Antoine
mate914
Looks great! Carful with that fresh paint....

Matt flag.gif
Cairo94507
Huge milestone in your build; that is a terrific color. Be very careful during assembly.
Superhawk996
Nice color. I really like blue vehicles.
Root_Werks
Rear trunk:

Root_Werks
Before I can put the oil tank in, have to install vinyl and trim. Mainly the little nut that holds the sail panel trim in place.

Got the oil tank back in last night and started on the oil lines. Getting closer to starting the engine after 8 months. Also installed all main body gaskets, doors and trunks.

Have a growing list of things I forgot to order.
tygaboy
Dang! That looks great! drooley.gif wub.gif
Root_Werks
Trying to focus on things that need to get done so I can start the engine. Tackled most of the front trunk area. Fuel tank will be next. I DO NOT ever want to install a fresh air box again. New grill and seals make the finished product really nice. What a PITA to put back in, adjust and ensure paint doesn't get scratched.

Root_Werks
So many boxes of new parts and I still make lists of things I missed.
Cairo94507
Making terrific progress. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
This really looks good great Dan!!
Dion
That really is a great colour! Re-assembly with new rubber seals, fun!!
Yeah ,don’t want to revisit fresh air box assembly, ever.
Looking awesome.
Root_Werks
Thanks everyone! So excited to have my 914 back and all one color. It'll be nice to finish this up, drive and give my checkbook a break.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 14 2022, 11:41 PM) *

Trying to focus on things that need to get done so I can start the engine. Tackled most of the front trunk area. Fuel tank will be next. I DO NOT ever want to install a fresh air box again. New grill and seals make the finished product really nice. What a PITA to put back in, adjust and ensure paint doesn't get scratched.
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 14 2022, 11:44 PM) *

So many boxes of new parts and I still make lists of things I missed.
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 15 2022, 09:57 AM) *

That really is a great colour! Re-assembly with new rubber seals, fun!!
Yeah ,don’t want to revisit fresh air box assembly, ever.
Looking awesome.

agree.gif exactly my thoughts, what a great color!!! beauty for sure, it will be well worth all the work and effort you have into it. you may not have planned on this when you got this, but now it will be what you wanted it to be!
Root_Werks
Progress stalled a bit yesterday in the path to starting the engine. I forgot the exhaust studs on a 2.7 are to long for barrel nuts. I don't want to stack washers so ordered up 12 correct length studs.

Root_Werks
Provided some time to get headlight frames and lids installed. Pretty happy with gaps.

New lenses sure help with new paint.

Root_Werks
Thanks all for the comments and encouragement! Correct this isn't the project I wanted to get into, but it'll turn out the way I want in the end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.