Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New EV914 build owned by engineer of Classic Retrofit, Electric AC for a 914
914forme
post May 15 2020, 06:35 AM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Watching motor trend, and saw a 914, and thought okay, I'll watch that, don't like the show all that much. Interested in the concept, engineering can be a bit off as can the logic.

Place battery box in the 914, they decided to load from the top down via the engine bay. Save yourself the trouble and build from the bottom up, and place the pack on a stand and lower the car over it. Come on.....

But the usage of the Tesla rear motor should make a nice run at it. It is the details like that that drove me nuts. But in the first few minutes of the show, I started linking pieces together. UK fitter of modern electronics into older cars, specifically AirCon. Its got to by Classic Retrofit guys. Then I say some of the parts being prototyped, and while I am not a huge fan of the center console, and wish they took the time to redo the fresh air blower, it works.

Show Vintage Voltage - Season 1 Episode 10

Attached Image

Aircon bits original console and side vents piped in.

Attached Image

Production on the car stoped due to COVID-19

Not a huge fan on the changes they have planned to the body, but each their own.

I get making it more aero, but come on Ronal Turbo wheels are not any more areo than lets say a Mahle Gas Burner. And in an EV I would go for lightness and low drag over looks any day. So hopefully the car comes together, it looks good, and we end up with another potential aircon solution. Not being a petrol car, means the electric aircon can be placed anywhere, so crafty placement might still be on us.

BTW, could nt find a way to share the video link, only Facebook and Twitter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post May 21 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #2

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I caught part of the episode last night and recorded the rest of it to view later.

Like you, I'm not a fan of the wheels--especially since they are utilizing adapters. I did think it was cool they welded in an Engman Kit.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 21 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

At least they didn't put these Ronal wheels on it:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.pinimg.com-1143-1590082936.1.jpg)

When someone says "Ronal Wheels", I always end up thinking about them.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 21 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I saw the show last night. Going to to be one ugly build. Looks like car will be completely out out balance with 20 batteries onboard. Lots of home made electronic goodies supplied by owner/engineer.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 21 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #5

Yes, and well I can't image what is it 320 HP and -4 brakes. Yes it will stop well once, but again and again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 21 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Jonny is a good guy and makes an incredible electric ac system for 911's. I wouldn't dismiss his 914 effort just yet.
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 21 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #7

Mark, I am not doubting that, matter of fact I respect his A/C and other work, I do not respect the engineering going into the EV build, or his overal vision. But he is not building the 914 he outsourced it to a different group of chaps. He is providing a vision and the A/C parts, and other bits, and the money.

Two things that is sticking with me.

You take an engine that puts out 365HP, with instant torque. And you do not update the brakes that is just asking for issues. From the original 1.7 you have 4x the power of the propulsion system and your going to run around with 4 solid discs, and a pads about the size of a hubba bubba pack. I would rather go play craps in Vegas, at least I know I have a chance of not loosing it all.

Then you build a battery box in the engine compartment and lower the batteries through the engine lid opening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) At first I though maybe they don't have a lift. Okay, I can deal, but then I see the car on the lift, and go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Could you have gotten more batteries in that way? Maybe, maybe not. But at least you do not run the risk of dropping one, and taking off someones finger in the process. Build the packs and mount on a table, lower the car down over the packs. Done. Pretty darn simple.

Now I will gladly defend his right to build what ever he chooses, it is his money, he has the final say, and he earned it with his value and talents that he brings to the market. More power to you, dream the big dream.

But please stop and think about a brake upgrade.

and BTW, Jonny if you read this your 911 is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 21 2020, 06:19 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

I haven’t read or seen the article. I agree, brakes are just as important as the engine.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 21 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914forme @ May 21 2020, 08:04 PM) *

Mark, I am not doubting that, matter of fact I respect his A/C and other work, I do not respect the engineering going into the EV build, or his overal vision. But he is not building the 914 he outsourced it to a different group of chaps. He is providing a vision and the A/C parts, and other bits, and the money.

Two things that is sticking with me.

You take an engine that puts out 365HP, with instant torque. And you do not update the brakes that is just asking for issues. From the original 1.7 you have 4x the power of the propulsion system and your going to run around with 4 solid discs, and a pads about the size of a hubba bubba pack. I would rather go play craps in Vegas, at least I know I have a chance of not loosing it all.

Then you build a battery box in the engine compartment and lower the batteries through the engine lid opening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) At first I though maybe they don't have a lift. Okay, I can deal, but then I see the car on the lift, and go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Could you have gotten more batteries in that way? Maybe, maybe not. But at least you do not run the risk of dropping one, and taking off someones finger in the process. Build the packs and mount on a table, lower the car down over the packs. Done. Pretty darn simple.

Now I will gladly defend his right to build what ever he chooses, it is his money, he has the final say, and he earned it with his value and talents that he brings to the market. More power to you, dream the big dream.

But please stop and think about a brake upgrade.

and BTW, Jonny if you read this your 911 is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

i was watching the same episode and i wondered the same thing and i figured eventually they would figure out the could load this batteries from under? no? sometimes smart people overlook the obvious, and the owner of that shop knows 914’s , races them for 8-10 years you would think he would have more input, i don’t know what brand those batteries are but it seems if they had access to a tesla motor they could have used a tesla battery pack too..... didn’t like the wheels either, guess we will see how it all pans out down the road.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 21 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

the other thing that got me was they were taking off the targa vinyl and planning on reusing it and some worn seals!!! why!! they were saying it was hard to source replacement seals and the vinyl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
do they not know about 914rubber??? Someone call them and tell them! if you are spending that kind of $$ on AC etc etc surely you can spend a few hundred $$ on new vinyl and seals!!!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 21 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Another 914 bites the dust.

Can't figure out for the life of me why the DIY EV crowd seeks out 914's to destroy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 21 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 21 2020, 06:19 PM) *

Can't figure out for the life of me why the DIY EV crowd seeks out 914's to destroy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I will be surprised if it gets more than 60 miles to a charge.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 21 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

The car had ALREADY had EV conversion in the 1990's before owner bought it. Info was in the opening of the show.
+Quote Post
914e
post May 22 2020, 12:57 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 23,951

In our Bug the stereo altered the chassis more than the electric drivetrain. The electric motor bolts to the transaxle the same as the engine did. The front pack bolts in to the tank mounts. The cabling runs down the heater channels. The body is closer to stock now with the electric drivetrain than is has been in decades.

EV West has drop in system for a 911/912 that you could switch between electric drive train and the original gas engine every weekend. About anyone here could switch between the drivetrains in about an hour.

The conversion on the show seems a bit extreme, the torque of electric motors tends to rip things apart. I think they will have to reduce the power. It is electric you can tweak settings all you want. Though I have to admit connecting a computer to a 50 year old car is a little strange.

I was disappointed to see them cutting and welding, though undoing what they did is not much worse than the average hellhole repair.

Like mine the the car had been electric already for about 20 years. 914's and Bugs were very popular choices for high schools and colleges to convert for competition in the 90's and early 2000's. I have run across about a half dozen in Phoenix.
+Quote Post
914e
post May 22 2020, 01:16 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 23,951

QUOTE(Steve @ May 21 2020, 06:25 PM) *

Maybe full out on a track. With 48kWh of batteries in a 2200 pound car I would expect closer to 200 miles if you can keep your foot out of it. Then again 914 X twistys = 90 miles. Though you recharge the battery back down the mountain.
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 22 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(914e @ May 22 2020, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 21 2020, 06:25 PM) *

Maybe full out on a track. With 48kWh of batteries in a 2200 pound car I would expect closer to 200 miles if you can keep your foot out of it. Then again 914 X twistys = 90 miles. Though you recharge the battery back down the mountain.

Thanks for the correction. In So Cal, the ones I have seen running the owner said he gets about 60 miles to a charge. This is with both trunks loaded with batteries. Probably older technology batteries? I also see these cars up for sale, because like you said it was a science project and they don't want to spend the money to replace the batteries. It would be interesting to see a modern 914e project and compare the mileage, power, cornering and weight to an LS swap, subi swap or six swap.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 22 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Still cracks me up that people giggly over transplanting Subbies, Chevys, and any other ICE into these cars but go batshit over EV. I think it's cool and would love to have a well-done EV 914. Hmm, aren't most of these EV conversions Air Cooled? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
drem914
post May 22 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,062

Aside from the conversation about available distance w/o a charge, the one thing that has struck me for every EV conversion I have seen is that the ride height never seems right. They all look like they have lost a bunch of weight and no one replaced the shocks or springs. They all seem to ride way to high.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 22 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(drem914 @ May 22 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Aside from the conversation about available distance w/o a charge, the one thing that has struck me for every EV conversion I have seen is that the ride height never seems right. They all look like they have lost a bunch of weight and no one replaced the shocks or springs. They all seem to ride way to high.

I think it's the opposite. They usually weigh hundreds of pounds more with all the lead batteries.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 22 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I only get giggly over vintage aircooled swaps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) and fabrication work that some of ya’ all do!

I understand modern performance EVs. They simply can’t be beat for off the line 0-60 numbers.

What I don’t get is why build a substandard EV off an archaic platform like a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) without AWD to ground the power, a 914 EV won’t be competitive with a Tesla model S P100d that can haul 4, still has trunk space, heat, A/C, more range, power windows, etc.

But to each his own, I’m merely expressing a personal opinion and preference. I don’t mean any ill will to the project. It’s their property and they can do what they will.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:40 AM