Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So the wife has decided she wants a pink 914
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 28 2020, 12:26 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

...just avoid painting your Corvette pink in the PNW...you might wind up like this icon of Hollywood CA. "Angelyne"
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 28 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #22

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Do it. I like her choice of interior. It will be a head turner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 28 2020, 12:54 PM
Post #23

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 28 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Speaking as a person of the female persuasion... I don't understand some of the posts sometimes. I've read complaints such as "I can't get a kitchen pass" or “now I've gotta figure out how to hide the new parts from the other half" etc.

Somebody says "the wife has decided she wants a pink 914" and some of the responses are put a pink wrap on the car?!?!?! A significant other expressed a desire to be included (in a big way) in the 914 obsession and some of the responses are to not jump in with both feet and show them how happy it makes you that they're interested in coming over to your 'Dark Side'? When your significant other says they want to participate, you don't immediately start off implying you don't believe them or you think they'll change their mind later... "lets make it reversible, just in case" (a la wrapping the car instead of painting it).

They might not have an opinion at this point other than "I want one in pink" (maybe because they don't understand all of the choices they will be presented with, or maybe they truly don't care what engine is in it) but if you jump in and commit and continue to keep them involved in "THEIR car" by presenting them with choices for THEM to make throughout the process - you're going to end up with a significant other that feels involved and personally invested in what is now BOTH of your interest. They will also continue to feel involved when they’re able to talk about THEIR car at a 914 event beyond "well, I picked out the body color but that's all I did".

How about instead, that first response being something along the lines of "I've never thought about having a pink car ... but it sounds like it would be FUN. In fact, I heard that one year Playboy gave pink 914's to their Playboy bunnies, maybe you can name him or her "Bunny". Not only did you tell them they had a cool idea, but they already have a second decision to make (what to name the car).

Sure, they might not have opinions on lots of stuff, like how big an engine, adjustable shocks or not, or Bridgestone versus Yokahama. Sure, you could choose to be frustrated by their lack of opinions. Or... instead you choose those as your opportunities to make decisions about their car which results in - it couldn't have been created without the both of you.

Now... I’m not really a ‘pink’ person, but I happen to know for a fact you can get pink seat belts. Seats and steering wheel can be done in black with pink stitching (heck, pink with black stitching). Headrests can be inset with pink anything the heck they want. Do they want the windshield wiper arms painted body color or black? Do they like the look of vinyl on the Targa band or would they like it painted body color? Do they like the way American lenses look or do they prefer Euro? Do they want a pink air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror or not? Those decisions can be big or small... doesn't matter, they're making decisions about THEIR car.

I'm not trying to rag on any specific person at all!!!!!!!!!! I just read the thread and felt compelled to hop in (heh, heh, heh… she made a bunny joke) and give a significant other's point of view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

P.S.: I've seen a few cars done in various shades of pink with a heavy pearl - they were absolutely beautiful. Show her how whichever pink she picks out would look in pearl too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Most probably don’t know that Mrs. Mikey914 has a nice 912 and she can outride most of us on a horse. If she wants a strawberry or aubergine 914, she should have it. Good on you Mark!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 28 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #24

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm still going to say wrap it because....

then you can use a car you already have and it will be finished sooner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Pink-Wrap-Films

Satin Bubblegum Pink

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.rvinyl.com-431-1593372178.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jun 28 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 28 2020, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 28 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Speaking as a person of the female persuasion... I don't understand some of the posts sometimes. I've read complaints such as "I can't get a kitchen pass" or “now I've gotta figure out how to hide the new parts from the other half" etc.

Somebody says "the wife has decided she wants a pink 914" and some of the responses are put a pink wrap on the car?!?!?! A significant other expressed a desire to be included (in a big way) in the 914 obsession and some of the responses are to not jump in with both feet and show them how happy it makes you that they're interested in coming over to your 'Dark Side'? When your significant other says they want to participate, you don't immediately start off implying you don't believe them or you think they'll change their mind later... "lets make it reversible, just in case" (a la wrapping the car instead of painting it).

They might not have an opinion at this point other than "I want one in pink" (maybe because they don't understand all of the choices they will be presented with, or maybe they truly don't care what engine is in it) but if you jump in and commit and continue to keep them involved in "THEIR car" by presenting them with choices for THEM to make throughout the process - you're going to end up with a significant other that feels involved and personally invested in what is now BOTH of your interest. They will also continue to feel involved when they’re able to talk about THEIR car at a 914 event beyond "well, I picked out the body color but that's all I did".

How about instead, that first response being something along the lines of "I've never thought about having a pink car ... but it sounds like it would be FUN. In fact, I heard that one year Playboy gave pink 914's to their Playboy bunnies, maybe you can name him or her "Bunny". Not only did you tell them they had a cool idea, but they already have a second decision to make (what to name the car).

Sure, they might not have opinions on lots of stuff, like how big an engine, adjustable shocks or not, or Bridgestone versus Yokahama. Sure, you could choose to be frustrated by their lack of opinions. Or... instead you choose those as your opportunities to make decisions about their car which results in - it couldn't have been created without the both of you.

Now... I’m not really a ‘pink’ person, but I happen to know for a fact you can get pink seat belts. Seats and steering wheel can be done in black with pink stitching (heck, pink with black stitching). Headrests can be inset with pink anything the heck they want. Do they want the windshield wiper arms painted body color or black? Do they like the look of vinyl on the Targa band or would they like it painted body color? Do they like the way American lenses look or do they prefer Euro? Do they want a pink air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror or not? Those decisions can be big or small... doesn't matter, they're making decisions about THEIR car.

I'm not trying to rag on any specific person at all!!!!!!!!!! I just read the thread and felt compelled to hop in (heh, heh, heh… she made a bunny joke) and give a significant other's point of view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

P.S.: I've seen a few cars done in various shades of pink with a heavy pearl - they were absolutely beautiful. Show her how whichever pink she picks out would look in pearl too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Most probably don’t know that Mrs. Mikey914 has a nice 912 and she can outride most of us on a horse. If she wants a strawberry or aubergine 914, she should have it. Good on you Mark!

Happy wife, Happy life...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 28 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Jun 28 2020, 03:22 PM' post='2828920']
I'm still going to say wrap it because....

then you can use a car you already have and it will be finished sooner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

That's exactly why I said wrap. A paint job can take months to get done while a wrap
might take weeks or less. She could be driving this summer, not next.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 28 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

So what's cool here? Your wife wants a 914. That, by itself, is already cool.

I'd take the request for bubblegum pink as a challenge—as in, I'd have to think about which 914 and what setup would pull that color off. There are some colors for every car that are trickier than others, and I think bubblegum pink on a 914 is one of them.

I'd start by figuring out what my range for "bubblegum" is. Are we talking Dubble Bubble? Hubba Bubba? Or the one below?
https://www.justcandy.com/products/sw60157-...AiABEgKy4_D_BwE

Would Rubystone (as seen on the 964 RS) count on one side of the spectrum? How about Rose Red, which was period, or period-ish? Or some others?

Then I'd work on the setup. I think the one that would work best is, oddly enough, a 1975-1976 cars with 16x6 or 16x7 Fuchs in factory finishes all around, to tie into the black rubber bumpers and to "calm" the pink down a bit. There's a blue 914 with BUBs on here that gets me every time I see it. That car's setup would be the one I'd probably pursue. Then it's a matter of ride height and turn signal lenses (might actually go US despite my preference for Euro).

I think it could be a cool 914. Definitely memorable. And if your better half is happy…
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 28 2020, 05:46 PM
Post #28

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

You know what Betty...you are absolutely right. In fact the reason my Six came to fruition was my wife got to pick the color- Irish Green (fortunately) and that was what got her to let me have my toy. Paint that sucker Mary Kay cosmetics pink and love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 28 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #29

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Mikes pink conversion. Got to ride with Mike to Telluride; great fun ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Jun 28 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

Count your blessings that your wife is seriously interested.

My wife is seriously uninterested. Hasn't gone for a ride in my last two 914s.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 28 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

How cool.

You better hop to it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 28 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #32

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Yes I think I may be able to get a shell reasonably that needs a little work and we can build from the ground up.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 29 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #33

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 28 2020, 11:18 PM) *

Yes I think I may be able to get a shell reasonably that needs a little work and we can build from the ground up.

At least you will know you have all the rubber parts to put it back together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 29 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #34

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I agree on a wrap.

Less time in the shop, (2 days vs half a year).

You can do it to a car she already loves, vs spending 3 years building a car for her.

Quality of wraps now adays means you can easily get 10 years out of a car that sits inside most of the time.

You could always wrap a car AND build her a pink car from scratch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That way she has it now AND later!!
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jun 29 2020, 11:27 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 19,709

you can make a nice looking pink 914.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1593451669.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 29 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 28 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Count your blessings that your wife is seriously interested.

My wife is seriously uninterested. Hasn't gone for a ride in my last two 914s.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 29 2020, 02:59 PM
Post #37

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 29 2020, 10:27 AM) *

I'll have to show her this!
Thanks,
Mark
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 29 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #38

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 29 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Nice! I'd drive this without a second thought and without worrying that it would compromise my "manhood." Never understood the gender conforming color scheme mindset, or the rigid gender roles that seem so prevalent. My wife can, and does, change the oil on our cars. Not sure why that should be a big deal. Mark, get your wife whatever she wants if it makes her happy. That's worked for me for the last 30 years, and there is no sign that it won't keep working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 29 2020, 03:14 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 73

Black PORSCHE stripe would really set off the paint. Raspberry is a great stock color.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 29 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I think they only requirement should be sticking with a factory color, so Raspberry!

I always like sticking with the original color of the car, but was in a similar situation, though in my case i went with the color swap so my wife wouldn't kill me for bringing another one home, and now we have a purple car! Its "her car" though 10 years later and i still cant get her to drive a stick. Consider yourself lucky you got a request to get involved.

I always thought a Raspberry car would look absolutely killer with the 75' white interior. Pink and white cow print, at least on the seats may be even better!

and no one get any ideas about @Kansas914 's car. I called dibs on that one a long time ago! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:43 AM