Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Re-Conversion of a '70 914, Patching that Big V8 radiator cutout pt. 1
76-914
post Nov 9 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #81

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

It's been a few weeks and only a few items remain. One of those items are the shifter cables which should arrive by the end of this week. I haven't even thought about how I will cover the shifter in this car. The other one was easy as I could hide everything between the console and middle cushion. But moving ahead I use some wire rope to visualize the route the cables will run because it is somewhat similar to the cables stiffness and will prevent me from making too small of a radius. I clamp the cables to the shifter on one end and to the transmission on the other. Nothing magic here but it does help to see where they will run.

Attached Image

They will lay on top of the tunnel then drop thru the rear tunnel access cover and out the same hole in the firewall that the old shift rod passed through.

Attached Image

And from the engine compartment side.

Attached Image

And finally to the transmission.

Attached Image

I cut the cover to allow the cables to enter the tunnel.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then make a couple of small templates for the gussets.

Attached Image

Attached Image

And form the gussets

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 9 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #82

Then clamp together and weld. I use this term weld loosely as I blew a hole in the thin metal and had a couple more spots bulge out on the other side of the weld. I threw some primer on it for now and will hammer down those bulges later.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 9 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #83

All of the plumbing is completed and tied in with the exception of the radiator filler neck. The one you see on the end of the red silicone hose is just too flimsy so I ordered another that is more substantial. It should be here in 2 weeks. I left all of the hoses a bit long for now. After I've got a few hours on the car I'll cut them to final length.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The clutch is bled and the reservoir is topped off.

Attached Image

And the speedometer should be here in two weeks.

Attached Image

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. God willing and the creeks don't rise this thing will be on the road by Christmas. To be continued..................
+Quote Post
FL000
post Nov 9 2020, 06:56 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 14,076

No idea how I have missed this thread until now. Nice job documenting it, I am sure it will help me as I embark on my trans swap soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Dec 1 2020, 10:11 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 8,123
Region Association: None

Thanks for all the great Ideas ! Your the MAN !
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 1 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks great Kent! What size radiator hoses did you use? 3/4 and 7/8? I’m actually thinking about going back to smaller diameter myself.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 2 2020, 04:50 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 1 2020, 08:33 PM) *

Looks great Kent! What size radiator hoses did you use? 3/4 and 7/8? I’m actually thinking about going back to smaller diameter myself.

Yes, 7/8" & 3/4". LMK if you do. I'll send you some nice blue silicon hose that I have left over, Chris . I forget which but I think it is 3/4" that I have surplus stock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 2 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 2 2020, 04:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 1 2020, 08:33 PM) *

Yes, 7/8" & 3/4". LMK if you do. I'll send you some nice blue silicon hose that I have left over, Chris . I forget which but I think it is 3/4" that I have surplus stock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh nice, will do Kent!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 11 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #89

I have some catching up to do here. I received my cables from CCI and they are top notch as usual. In case you're wondering they are 90" & 98" long. Here are a few pic's of them and of the installation.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This lever was made using a scrap piece 1/2" steel pipe, 1/8" plate steel and an AN-3 bolt

Attached Image

Attached Image

A few shots from inside the cabin.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 11 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #90

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Party ON!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 11 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #91

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Nice job, might have to borrow a few of your design ideas when I put my Subaru gearbox in.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 25 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #92

Thx Mike. Well, I went to way much trouble installing one of these Speed Hut Speedometers a few years back when I converted the black 914. I made another gauge panel to accept the gauge but there is an easier way. The problem is that the plastic mounting nut will not screw onto the body of the gauge because the threads on the body of the gauge are partially covered by the shoulder/flange of the OEM opening. So you will need to remove the 4 small metal pieces (with a Dremel) to shorten the shoulder that the gauge body sits in. There are 4 of these "tabs". You can see 3 of them sitting on my leg after cutting them off. The trimmed off piece of the rubber ring is also in the pic. Next you need to cut the rubber mounting ring to shorten it's depth so that it doesn't protrude past the shoulder where the small pieces were trimmed off. The rubber ring is easily trimmed with scissors. See pic's below .Thx to Stephan @914forme for the rubber ring. Merry Christmas ya'll. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wreath.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 12 2021, 10:40 AM
Post #93

If it ain't one thing it's two. I've been chasing this rough running engine and I've decided I need to just bite the bullet and throw another engine at it. The rear L cylinder seemed to be the culprit I'd pull the injector lead and it made no difference. Flipped injectors and no difference. Flipped coils and no difference. Any lead I pulled on the left bank was similar but more pronounced. Anything I pulled on the right bank would make a drastic difference. There is also a popping noise on the left exhaust. It would smooth out on acceleration and the engine had plenty of power. I had heard a chattering that I assumed was the AC compressor. Yesterday I pulled the belt and the chatter was still there. I think I have a left bank tensioner that died on me. I have a 120lb compression and today I'll do a leak down test just for shits n grins but I've already convinced myself it needs an engine. That they are plentiful and cheap is the good news. That I need to pull and install another is the bad news. I'd probably go in and replace the tensioners & rails which are available but this engine has about 200K on the clock and I think my $$$ would be better spent on another engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 12 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 15,610

Very cool build and thanks for sharing it! Are you worried at all about the coolant lines running under the pans like that? I know some speed bumps that would love to eat the hoses for that one time you go over them too fast...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 12 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #95

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 12 2021, 09:17 AM) *

Very cool build and thanks for sharing it! Are you worried at all about the coolant lines running under the pans like that? I know some speed bumps that would love to eat the hoses for that one time you go over them too fast...

Not too much. But I keep a splice coupling and a few hose clamps with me when traveling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 12 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #96

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How many turbos on the replacement 6? 2?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 12 2021, 08:46 PM
Post #97

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd check the harness too to make sure that's good. The tensioner would affect the whole bank not just 1 cyl. Chatter could be a dead/flat lifter which might fix itself with use. At this point I'd assume it was a lifter.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 13 2021, 10:21 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 12 2021, 06:46 PM) *

I'd check the harness too to make sure that's good. The tensioner would affect the whole bank not just 1 cyl. Chatter could be a dead/flat lifter which might fix itself with use. At this point I'd assume it was a lifter.

Chris thx for helping but the noise is from the front in the chain area and doesn't have that tat-tat-tat rhythm. Checked the harness first thing per the factory manual. Voltage is good from the ECM to the molex plugs at the coils. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 24 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #99

Well it's been 5 weeks and I wish I were further along but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I did shit can the engine as it needed a new tensioner which meant all new tensioners, guides and guess what chains weren't available. Given it had over 200K on the clock it was off to San Diego for an $850 JDM replacement motor. And since I'd pulled the drivetrain I bought one of Ian's (Cold Water Inc) cradles. I'd seen his newest design which allows for the removal of the transmission , should the need arise, while leaving the engine in the car. It had winked at me and the welds were a work of art so I took the plunge and scraped mine. So far I like his cradle more than mine in every respect except one. I'll get to that later.
First thing is to bolt it in place. Now is the time to discover any gotchas before mounting the drivetrain on the cradle only to find it won't bolt up to our car. And it did bolt right up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I should have left it as it was but I had to paint it. I regretted this later as I didn't let it cure and scraped it off in a few places. I'll touch it up later.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Ian's cradle doesn't have wheels or a place to mount any so I sat it on 3 furniture dollies and tied the 3 together with some 1x2's. I also placed a few 4x6's between the cradle and dollies to raise it a bit. Otherwise the car needs to sit too close to the ground during hook up. Then you just roll it in place and attach it to the car with the supplied hardware. The cradle has about 3" of front to back adjustment. I went with it midpoint. That gives me about 2" clearance where the harness' join which is a tight area otherwise. It also gives you a little more clearance around the starter connections.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 24 2021, 09:34 PM
Post #100

So the newest engine runs great, pulls strong and is loud as Hell which brings me to this chapter. Time for an exhaust system. I really like the exhaust system I have on the '73 so I duplicated that original order and went about installing it yesterday. You remember me saying there was one thing I didn't like about Ian's cradle? Well this is it. I can't use the same install method as he has a brace that interferes with how I installed the exhaust on the '73 using my cradle. Hopefully I'll be able to use the same combination of mufflers and keep the center out design but I had to order some additional fittings before I could go any further today. I'm using all 16ga SS so it will be good for many, many years. Her are some pif's of where I left off today.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:11 AM