Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition timing, Ignition timing confusion
aeginc77
post Jul 21 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,682
Region Association: None

Help! I have never timed my 914 before. I changed the points to electronic ignition and have got a very fast idle. I am prepared with my timing light to check the timing but am confused. I see the v on the impeller shroud and have located the white dot on the impeller ( I assume when both of these are lined up #1 piston is at TDC). I also have a template thanks to Pelican Parts to mark 27degrees before TDC. Do I mark 27 degrees on the shroud where the v is or mark the impeller? I would assume I would see the white dot on the impeller at 27 degree mark marked on the shroud when the timing light flashes. Or do I mark the impeller at 27 degrees BTDC and see the flash at the v on the shroud? I thought I had this until I saw a picture on Pelican Parts of an impeller with a 27 degree mark on the impeller.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 21 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

See if this helps.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=339759
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 21 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mark the 27* on the impeller. Set timing at 3,000+ rpm with any vacuum hoses disconnected from the distributor.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 21 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

the fan should have the red mark for 27 btdc at the back of the fan and show up when the engine is running at 3500 with the advance disconnected. the mark is just to the right of the big thick reinforcement. Remember spark wire number 1 left drivers rear. There is also a clear picture in the book 914 "tech tips 700"

QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Jul 21 2020, 07:05 AM) *

Help! I have never timed my 914 before. I changed the points to electronic ignition and have got a very fast idle. I am prepared with my timing light to check the timing but am confused. I see the v on the impeller shroud and have located the white dot on the impeller ( I assume when both of these are lined up #1 piston is at TDC). I also have a template thanks to Pelican Parts to mark 27degrees before TDC. Do I mark 27 degrees on the shroud where the v is or mark the impeller? I would assume I would see the white dot on the impeller at 27 degree mark marked on the shroud when the timing light flashes. Or do I mark the impeller at 27 degrees BTDC and see the flash at the v on the shroud? I thought I had this until I saw a picture on Pelican Parts of an impeller with a 27 degree mark on the impeller.

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 30 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,245
Region Association: Northern California

I am going to guess that you installed pertronix ... ?
I know when I did mine there was interference with the mounting plate with a nub on the dizzy. I had to file just a small notch in that plate .

Will look for a photo and there was a thread here that mentioned this .
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 30 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,245
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=pertronix
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:21 AM