Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aeginc77
Help! I have never timed my 914 before. I changed the points to electronic ignition and have got a very fast idle. I am prepared with my timing light to check the timing but am confused. I see the v on the impeller shroud and have located the white dot on the impeller ( I assume when both of these are lined up #1 piston is at TDC). I also have a template thanks to Pelican Parts to mark 27degrees before TDC. Do I mark 27 degrees on the shroud where the v is or mark the impeller? I would assume I would see the white dot on the impeller at 27 degree mark marked on the shroud when the timing light flashes. Or do I mark the impeller at 27 degrees BTDC and see the flash at the v on the shroud? I thought I had this until I saw a picture on Pelican Parts of an impeller with a 27 degree mark on the impeller.
michael7810
Mark the 27* on the impeller. Set timing at 3,000+ rpm with any vacuum hoses disconnected from the distributor.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the fan should have the red mark for 27 btdc at the back of the fan and show up when the engine is running at 3500 with the advance disconnected. the mark is just to the right of the big thick reinforcement. Remember spark wire number 1 left drivers rear. There is also a clear picture in the book 914 "tech tips 700"

QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Jul 21 2020, 07:05 AM) *

Help! I have never timed my 914 before. I changed the points to electronic ignition and have got a very fast idle. I am prepared with my timing light to check the timing but am confused. I see the v on the impeller shroud and have located the white dot on the impeller ( I assume when both of these are lined up #1 piston is at TDC). I also have a template thanks to Pelican Parts to mark 27degrees before TDC. Do I mark 27 degrees on the shroud where the v is or mark the impeller? I would assume I would see the white dot on the impeller at 27 degree mark marked on the shroud when the timing light flashes. Or do I mark the impeller at 27 degrees BTDC and see the flash at the v on the shroud? I thought I had this until I saw a picture on Pelican Parts of an impeller with a 27 degree mark on the impeller.

Wyvern
I am going to guess that you installed pertronix ... ?
I know when I did mine there was interference with the mounting plate with a nub on the dizzy. I had to file just a small notch in that plate .

Will look for a photo and there was a thread here that mentioned this .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.