Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> can you buy a crate 2056?, looking to just pop in an engine versus rebulding
Superhawk996
post Aug 29 2020, 09:16 AM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

@jake raby

Very cool. I've always appreciated the fact that you have a dyno to back your HP claims and to do development on.

Way to many in the industry (not just 914's) that are out there making absurd HP claims but don't have the dyno to back it up.

Sure you can do lot's of interesting work on a racetrack or drag strip to develop an engine but nothing beats a dyno for repatability. Keep on Keepin' on!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 29 2020, 11:22 AM
Post #82

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Jake! Glad you posted so we know. Bailed from here, not AC engines. Hope to see more of you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 29 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #83

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 29 2020, 07:16 AM) *

@jake raby

Very cool. I've always appreciated the fact that you have a dyno to back your HP claims and to do development on.

Way to many in the industry (not just 914's) that are out there making absurd HP claims but don't have the dyno to back it up.

Sure you can do lot's of interesting work on a racetrack or drag strip to develop an engine but nothing beats a dyno for repatability. Keep on Keepin' on!

While a dyno isn't everything (and is basically nothing if you use it in the wrong ways) it does give a huge advantage when it comes to seeing what you create. Seeing what works, and what doesn't is a requirement. Before the dyno I tested cars over and over again driving up the same hill at wide open throttle, seeing how fast I could go to the mailbox at the top of the grade. It works, but takes lots of discipline.

Jake! Glad you posted so we know. Bailed from here, not AC engines. Hope to see more of you

Thanks.. I pretty much bailed from all the forums. I would still come here every now, and then and see what's going on, but I didn't post much.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 29 2020, 09:18 PM
Post #84

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

It should be pretty self explanatory

But if you want a aircooled engine built out to a
Aviation standard or what has been called
Aeromotive. Tested , dyno ed , proven etc .

It just dont come cheap .

I would pump some water for that money

Like a supercharged lotus elise/ toyota motor with a sequential shifter or boxster trans .... not a paddle or dual clutch .

+Quote Post
Literati914
post Aug 29 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 29 2020, 10:18 PM) *

I would pump some water for that money

DITTO!

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #86

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Would a 718 motor work? Seeing them on evil bay for about $5000 with 10K miles....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-17-18-19-Pors...7Cclp%3A2334524
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 30 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 30 2020, 07:29 AM) *

Cripes! That is cheap if healthy.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2020, 06:32 AM
Post #88

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 30 2020, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 30 2020, 07:29 AM) *

Cripes! That is cheap if healthy.

Closer to you than me.... in Phoenix
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 30 2020, 06:49 AM
Post #89

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 30 2020, 05:29 AM) *

Something tells me this engine is way to complex for
A 914 . but if it fits i guess .

But its one if those that needs engine out to change a air filter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Lotus elise needs rear clip removed to get to air box
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 30 2020, 08:41 AM
Post #90

Engine Surgeon

If you know what we know about the DFI engines, you'd see that about 1/2 of what you need to make this engine run in a 914, is actually being sold in the ad. It would be easier to rip all the ancillaries off it, and throw a pair of carbs on it, than try to make all the other aspects work.. That includes DME, and immobilizer, which are hard enough to hack in the actual vehicle it belongs in.

That said, what I see from the front row is what I expected we would see with elevated 914 values, and more notoriety. The people who I am seeing as purchasers today, either want to add the "vintage performance" feel, and make the car the way it would her been "hot rodded" in the 70s, or they want it absolutely bone stock restored with the stock EFI, and etc.

I think this trait will continue as the 914 is more appreciated, and people want to make its original engine have more performance, while retaining a stock/ vintage flair. There were some years back in the day, when I'd go all year and never build a 914 engine, for a 914. They'd end up as conversions into beetles, 356s, and 912s. That changed a couple of years ago, and this year the 914 application is making up 80% of my work.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Aug 30 2020, 08:48 AM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 30 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #91

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

first off, just wanted to say they it’s great to hear from you!! i always have enjoyed our conversations here and in person at your facility when you so graciously hosted us as a group with there for Okteenerfest!! i was one of those that was going to have my car on the dyno when we had the software glitch 2 years ago! i still hope to get back there someday!!
also wanted to say that i have had the feeling and posted such, that eventually with the values of our cars going up and more people willing to restore the 914 correctly and willing to spend the $$ that we would see the motors also then being preserved and restored, and i am SO glad that you are a major part of that movement- and i am not surprised one bit. I know mine will require this in the next few years and have started the planning of just that, so i will follow with acute interest your posting of how this is going. for the benefit of the many new members here joining our ranks, please share more of all of what you are doing and have available for this of us that will be doing this. my numbers matching motor will remain of course and will need a quality rebuild in the near future.

again, the sharing of your knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated!

Phil

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 10:41 AM) *

If you know what we know about the DFI engines, you'd see that about 1/2 of what you need to make this engine run in a 914, is actually being sold in the ad. It would be easier to rip all the ancillaries off it, and throw a pair of carbs on it, than try to make all the other aspects work.. That includes DME, and immobilizer, which are hard enough to hack in the actual vehicle it belongs in.

That said, what I see from the front row is what I expected we would see with elevated 914 values, and more notoriety. The people who I am seeing as purchasers today, either want to add the "vintage performance" feel, and make the car the way it would her been "hot rodded" in the 70s, or they want it absolutely bone stock restored with the stock EFI, and etc.

I think this trait will continue as the 914 is more appreciated, and people want to make its original engine have more performance, while retaining a stock/ vintage flair. There were some years back in the day, when I'd go all year and never build a 914 engine, for a 914. They'd end up as conversions into beetles, 356s, and 912s. That changed a couple of years ago, and this year the 914 application is making up 80% of my work.

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 30 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #92

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 30 2020, 08:12 AM) *

first off, just wanted to say they it’s great to hear from you!! i always have enjoyed our conversations here and in person at your facility when you so graciously hosted us as a group with there for Okteenerfest!! i was one of those that was going to have my car on the dyno when we had the software glitch 2 years ago! i still hope to get back there someday!!
also wanted to say that i have had the feeling and posted such, that eventually with the values of our cars going up and more people willing to restore the 914 correctly and willing to spend the $$ that we would see the motors also then being preserved and restored, and i am SO glad that you are a major part of that movement- and i am not surprised one bit. I know mine will require this in the next few years and have started the planning of just that, so i will follow with acute interest your posting of how this is going. for the benefit of the many new members here joining our ranks, please share more of all of what you are doing and have available for this of us that will be doing this. my numbers matching motor will remain of course and will need a quality rebuild in the near future.

again, the sharing of your knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated!

Phil

Thanks.. It was nice having y'all.. One day if the tour comes back, we may do it again... I've moved all the Aircooled stuff home with me now, though.. I have to work alone.

Its insane how the 914 following has changed. Lots of my modern Porsche customers now brag about owning a 914 "too".. A few years ago they pissed on 914s, and I remind them all of that, and where I started..
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 30 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #93

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 06:45 PM