Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 swap Oil Pressure / Temp Combo Gauge Options?
RichPugh
post Oct 6 2020, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,068
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

About a year ago, I spoke with Palo Alto Speedometer about their 914/6 triple cluster gauge. I assume it is still avail. Is there any other option to get a combo gauge for a 914/6 application with Fuel level, oil pressure and oil temp readings? I'm eliminating the center console in my car and would like one clean simple gauge if possible. I also saw the option of getting a standard 911 oil temp/pressure gauge and modifying a 930 tach to change the boost gauge portion of it to be the fuel gauge.

This one is my first choice... Just checking to see if there were options or anyone selling one similar.

- Rich

This would be my first option...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.paspeedo.com-18068-1601997930.1.jpg)

These would be my 2nd option... Converting the Bar boost gauge into a fuel gauge.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.ebayimg.com-18068-1601997931.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.ebayimg.com-18068-1601997932.3.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 6 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

@914forme
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RichPugh
post Oct 6 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,068

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2020, 11:41 AM) *

Tease! :wink:
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 6 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Here is what Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedo did for my car: I love them.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Oct 6 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Another option: depending on how period correct you want to be on looks; I'll be putting this combo of refurbished gauges up for sale soon. Lettering, scales and looks as per original GT spec., with the 10K tach replaced with Bosch internals. Repainted bezels on both, tested and ready to rock.

Doesn't solve your fuel gauge or speedometer needs, but could be an option to consider.

- Tony

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Oct 6 2020, 02:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Another thought. Use the regular 911 gauge for oil, then a mount a standalone fuel level gauge inside the glove compartment. Check it only when you need to type of deal.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 6 2020, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Oct 7 2020, 09:24 AM) *

Another option: depending on how period correct you want to be on looks; I'll be putting this combo of refurbished gauges up for sale soon. Lettering, scales and looks as per original GT spec., with the 10K tach replaced with Bosch internals. Repainted bezels on both, tested and ready to rock.

Doesn't solve your fuel gauge or speedometer needs, but could be an option to consider.

- Tony

Attached Image

Very nice Tony,do you do these @ home ?...look very clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) .
I have 911 gauges and VDO fuel gauge in the dash around where the cig lighter would normally be,easy to read and a good solution,was done by the PO.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Oct 6 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 6 2020, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Oct 7 2020, 09:24 AM) *

- Tony

Very nice Tony,do you do these @ home ?...look very clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) .
I have 911 gauges and VDO fuel gauge in the dash around where the cig lighter would normally be,easy to read and a good solution,was done by the PO.

@porschetub - thx! After posting a "how to" thread on the 10K tach I built for my car, I subsequently made a few others and found some eager buyers (on this site). Very much still in the hobby / part time realm for me, but I have done another batch, this time modifying a few oil temp / pressure gauges to match the GT versions. They are quite time consuming, involve multiple disciplines (metal work, electronics, paint prep, etc.) but the end result is quite satisfying.

FYI, original thread is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341379

- Tony

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 6 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

@RichPugh Let me see what I got, I may have one left.

@mepstein thanks for thinking of me Mark
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 7 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

And thanks for reminding me that I STILL haven't sent my stuff to 914forme (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
I'm going triple gauge with the parts from the gauges that came with my motor, a 9111 8k tach (when I get it) and putting my clock in the top of my deposit box (kind of how the 916 with the tan interior had)

The best solution is the 930 tach with the boost reconfigured and a triple gauge to the left...last I checked 930 tachs were $$$, but it sure does look good.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 7 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 7 2020, 01:33 PM) *

And thanks for reminding me that I STILL haven't sent my stuff to 914forme (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
I'm going triple gauge with the parts from the gauges that came with my motor, a 9111 8k tach (when I get it) and putting my clock in the top of my deposit box (kind of how the 916 with the tan interior had)

The best solution is the 930 tach with the boost reconfigured and a triple gauge to the left...last I checked 930 tachs were $$$, but it sure does look good.

Ask Stephen about a 930 like gauge. I think he was going to make something similar from a 911 tach. If you are going to take apart the gauge anyway, I'm not sure it has to be a turbo gauge.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Oct 7 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 20,392

I used the stock 914 tach and fuel gauge guts. I had to trim part of the circuit board of the fuel gauge to get it to fit. I purchased some small 12V LEDs with the plan to put that in for the reserve light. Fuel gauge works in reverse with empty on the right. Need to move high beam indicator to top of gauge and re-label portion around fuel gauge.

john

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Oct 7 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

@targa72e

John, very nice integration of the stock fuel gauge. Been wondering if this could be achieved by cutting the lower part of the tach with a similar opening as the stock fuel gauge, but I much prefer your cleaner approach. Any chance the movement could be reversed electronically? Also it would be nice to be able to get a small silver dot needle. Don't know if NHS sells them separately...

As for the high beam light, you could decide to use the one for the parking lights in the speedometer and replace the green gel for the blue one you got from your tach.

Cool mods (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Oct 14 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #14

I am not sure it you could reverse it electronically. You would still need the spring to want the gauge to read zero on the other side. Could probably use a different movement and change the electronics to match the fuel sender.

john
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Oct 14 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

These are pretty simple mechanical devices once you venture inside them. You are only limited to what can be done by imagination and some creative handiwork and pilfering parts/mechanisms from the variety of gages out there. Additionally all the movements in various styles are available from VDO

Attached Image

Retro, I would be very interested in a 10k tach if you do another batch
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Oct 17 2020, 12:38 PM
Post #16

Looking at this thread you could have the gauge move the correct direction and get a silver dot on the needle.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=328491

john
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:42 AM