Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> nditiz1's mediocre 6 conversion, SOLD at auction, off to a new home
nditiz1
post Aug 23 2021, 05:51 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Falling inline with @OptimusGlen I might be having this engines first attempt at a startup tomorrow. I was planning to use a spare 911 oil tank, but I don't have a 30mm to AN12 fitting to accomplish that. So the 914-6 will need to be rigged up instead. Currently hooked to a spare 901 tranny.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1629762688.1.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 23 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Woooo!

Hope it goes well!

Are you on Instagram? I'll be doing some updates and videos as the day progresses.

@glen_in_the_garage
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 25 2021, 11:04 PM
Post #23

Glen I just followed you sweet vid of you driving, i can't wait to hit that milestone.

Update time:
I was able to turn the engine over via the starter tonight. I have never heard the engine turn over without me cranking on it so this was huge! I dumped some oil out the front after forgetting to plug the T-stat hole with a T-stat sensor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I had to perform some checks regarding sensors and black magic of the EFI. Hopefully the chicken offering and beer will allow the arts to start this monster tomorrow.

Currently had to hook up the 6 oil tank as my 911 one needed a 30mm to AN12 which I could not wait for. I sent some final questions to Al. If everything checks out I'll add some fuel and ready the fire extinguishers mid day tomorrow.

I'll be glad to get my garage back in order and clean up this mobile test stand.

Oh one last great thing. The engine was able to build enough pressure to turn off the idiot light (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1629954258.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 26 2021, 06:05 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Congratulations on the engine coming up healthy, big moment. Thanks for the updates.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 26 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #25

Chasing some wiring issues as the injectors are not passing the test. Also it appears my fuse block is defective as it is providing power to all posts even when the fuses are removed, while less I would expect no power. I also developed a small leak out of the back of the cam tower where a clewett camshaft position sensor was installed. I don't need it anymore with this setup so I am thinking of removing and putting whatever cover goes in that spot.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 26 2021, 01:29 PM
Post #26

Cool updates! Keep it up!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 27 2021, 09:42 AM
Post #27

Was hoping to throw some fuel in for a first start, but am currently waiting for tech support to figure out why the injector is not firing. I have uploaded the tune, data logs, and wiring diagram in hopes that something can be found.

I'll start focusing my efforts on getting the car ready for the engine:

Task list

Install Tangerine return fuel line (PO only did 1 as it was carb'd)
-watch Ian's vid again
-remove fuel tank
-feed line through
-While in there replace wiper motor and hopefully get that working or it's RAIN-X

Install newly purchased brake regulator that has the Unicorn Banjo bolt...smdh

Bleed brakes

Grind away ugly welds and weld in piece of of firewall - this should complete the welding...for now anyway

Cut last hole for oil tank

Install shift bushing

Install new clutch cable

Install new Patrick Motorsports throttle cable

Reinstall most of the interior
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 27 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #28

Got a little bit done while waiting on troubleshooting steps

Not pretty with that S bend but at least this part is fixed. 73 and up cars are really not geared for 6 conversion. My main harness, it is totally in the way of the mount.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630099174.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 29 2021, 11:12 PM
Post #29

With the engine awaiting a Microsquirt brain, swapping out the non working MS2, I decided to get some other items completed.

First was the removal of the Tank to gain access to the wiper motor. It also allowed me to follow @iankarr 's video (thanks!) on the Tangerine Racing Fuel line install. The supply line is already present. So I just needed to install the return, which I didn't realize was a smaller line. Got that in without too much trouble. The wiper motor came out with a little struggle and I realized why. There is a vibration stud attached to it. It is broke and now I am wondering if it is needed or it can wait until I redo the dash some years later.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630300363.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630300364.2.jpg)

Broken vibration mount
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630300365.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 31 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #30

Today and yesterday were spending days. After getting the tank out I decided to replace some of the things I wasn't going to address for awhile. Rubber grommets for the wiper motor, washer nozzles, fresh air box hoses, fresh air box gasket,...

Anyway another big purchase I wasn't planning on making were rear brake calipers. When I had the chance to drive the car a little last year the brakes seemed fine. The car stopped when I pressed the pedal. Since I had to open the system to relocate the brake regulator I needed to bleed them again. Unfortunately the lower bleeder on my red (ew) caliper passenger side broke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) So it was a call to PMB. At last years Aircooled vintage swap meet I was the lucky winner of a set of brake calipers done by PMB. This will come in hand especially after braking the bleeder. I thought it would be a quick fix, but PMB is currently swamped with a 3 week turn around. That would put me right at Okteenerfest. I sent out the Bat Signal and Perry has a set of NOS ones. Not cheap, but at least they will arrive before PMB can restore these ones.

Going back to my S-bend to the regulator I could not get it to stop leaking at the coupler. I am thinking the coupler is too long and the bolts cannot secure the flare against the inside enough. I just removed it and will use some of the old line to create a longer piece that is connected just inside the firewall. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I spent a lot of the day cleaning the trans. I used brake clean, oven cleaner, simple green and a power washer. It needs a minor cleanup in the bell housing and then I can change the oil and put the fork, bearing, and bushings back on.

I was able to fix a trunk plague since I purchased the car. It suffered from rust fairly badly on the passenger side and as a result the hinge pivot broke free from its welds. I cleaned up the remaining spot welds and used 1 of the 2 JWest hinges that came with the car. Install was not too bad. If I have enough time I will install craigs (camp914) shock kit as the torsion bars are no longer on.

I got the working wiper motor hooked up and briefly gave it a go. Everything seemed to function. I will know more once the 914Rubber parts are delivered Thursday.

Removed the old throttle cable and installed Patrick MS's 914-6 one.

So things are progressing towards the goal of making the fest. The lingering engine no start is a huge concern. Al sent a new Microsquirt brain to me today. Hopefully that is what the issue is and I can get a first start this weekend. If I can get the engine tuned outside the car by the 9th and installed by the 16th it will give me 1 week to drive around and test before the big drive. Fingers crossed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630473672.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1630473673.2.jpg)

+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Sep 1 2021, 12:06 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm curious if it is the brain, I was hoping they were reliable. Where did you decide to mount the brain? I will need to start my efi install maybe this winter...
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 1 2021, 11:32 PM
Post #32

Mine are crossed as well. For both(MS2/Microsquirt) I was going to put them behind the passenger seat.

Wiper motor - 1 Me - 0
Fresh air box - 1 Me - 1 - after recuperating I got back at it and got it in.

I have given up on the wiper for now. It will be RainX if I can finish in time. I had washed everything in oil, tested the motor, tested the arms moving. Kept everything loose and once I got it all buttoned up I realized why I had to keep it loose. The pass. side shaft wanted to twist the threads where as the driver just wanted to move inside like it is supposed to. In order to properly oil and restore this unit, one needs to take the clip off and remove the center pivot from the threaded shaft thereby exposing whatever rust has gotten inside to bind it up. On the bench it looks great, but if you tighten the large nuts it binds, that's because this underlying issue. So while I could remove and refresh for the 3rd time I was not going to have time to diagnose why it always wanted to be on. If the car was on the wipers wanted to also be on. The wiring was correct so something must be shorted together or its something in the wiper stalk. Anyway too much time wasted on this so maybe later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Managed to get the clutch arm rebushed and greased. New bearing is on. Just need to drain the tranny and add new oil and it is ready to be put back on the engine.

The airbox now has a non over sprayed grill and a new seal from 914Rubber. I needed to unbolt the wiper assembly to get it to fit. What a pain it was to get the two 10mm back in. I had some left over Skeet from my 911 back date project so I halved it and put that on both sides going to the blend valves. The hose I took off no longer had flex. They were statues that crumbled when flexed.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 2 2021, 12:43 AM
Post #33

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Go for it pal! Nothing like a deadline to move things along. Glad the fuel line install video helped. Did you also use the tips and tricks in the airbox one? That first start will put a permagrin on your face. I’m still smiling from mine. Keep it up. We’re all pulling for ya!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 2 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #34

I think I did see that tips and tricks vid, need to go rewatch it.

Tonight's agenda
Microsquirt arrived!!! Time to get wiring.
Bend up a brake line
Remove driver caliper
Fill tyranny back up - done!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 3 2021, 02:34 PM
Post #35

Ok the euro brake line from Napa is in place. It's a little too long, but that just means it has extra cool waves in it. PMB should make this conversion line.

Microsquirt is hooked in! I had it hooked up late last night (12AM) fired it off and had no RPM signal. I had the injectors now working but lost engine speed. What a trade off. The MS2 is being shipped back to DIY to test and diagnose. I spent most of the day working with Al back and forth on things to check and try. Eventually he found the wire that needed to be in place and my latest start test was successful. So now I have injectors firing, registering RPMs, temp, MAP, everything!!! I fixed the oil leaking from the rear cam tower - PO marred the surround getting the old cap out for the CPS from clewett. I'm not using that so stock cap went back in and sealed. Unfortunately 2 new leaks developed. 1 at the front which looks like the intermediate shaft cover, but I didn't see any from it only below it where the case meets. 2nd one is from below the cam tower. I had noticed a crack which looked to already have had some type of fix. I even added more JB weld to it hoping to reinforce. I'm surprised Ollie's did not mention/fix this, but maybe the PO did it when installing the Cam cases. In any case this might be one I just have to live with. Hopefully it won't leak more when the engine was gone through a heat cycle.

Tomorrow will be the day I finally get to throw some fuel and fire this baby up. Less than 3 weeks to go. 1 week to tune it, 1 week to get it in and button up all the loose ends. Less than a week to take it on a long trip to ensure no breakage. We are cutting it close.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 3 2021, 11:57 PM
Post #36

Man I still have a leak under my intermediate shaft cover. Dropped my motor to R&R it and its still there. It's not terrible but kinda bumms me out on a fresh new engine.

Nice to see the progress!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 4 2021, 04:05 PM
Post #37

So I added the tensioner lines to that list. I put new washers and o-rings. I was able to tighten the banjo bolt so hopefully that will stop it. For the center case below the IMS cover I'm just going to let it go. Then I will never have to change the oil it will just keep recycling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BIG NEWS! She's a runner!!! Got some fuel logistics knocked out this morning. Had her running for about a minute before needing to go run some errands. If I can get a chance tonight I will try to run it a bit longer and at least sync each ITB. It sounds so good without the muffler, maybe I'll just run straight pipes. @MB911 how much will your muffler cut down on your headers as far as sound? I think I went for the quiet, but now I want it mean LOL

Definitely forgot to hook the Alt back up before this vid. She was running off the batt...

First start

19 days and counting
+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 4 2021, 04:53 PM
Post #38

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Congrats! Like to see it coming together.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 4 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I don't recall what system you bought but I think ultimately you will want it on there.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 4 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #40

Congrats!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:32 PM