Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bidding war on BaT
LefthandRev
post Aug 31 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,787
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 30 2021, 06:25 PM) *

Seller is a friend of mine. This beautiful example is truly a survivor and will stay local in SoCal! The other one in Marathon Blue is not for sale! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Whoa. That one on the right looks Ancona Blue. I had a '75 in Ancona, but either that's a converted bumper or a repaint. Amazing color.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 31 2021, 08:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Hey, when I take the Cayman, even Porsche people ignore it! Even tho it's an S - being Meteor Grey hides it I think.

Everyone looks at the 914 - but I really like "I build the 914, just bought the Cayman." But rather than built, I've put over 400 hours of my own B, S & T's into it to get it where it is today - and still a long way to go.......a work-in-progress......

AND at the Richmond C&C, there's almost never another 914 there unless it's my friend Rick's sweet yellow '72....and we park 'em together that draws even more folk......

GN

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 31 2021, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 31 2021, 06:35 AM) *

Many people ask me why I don't bring the Cayman to more of the local shows and Porsche events, when I'm driving the 914.

I usually respond with "I build the 914, I just bought the Cayman"

When I bring the 914 to Cars and Coffee, everybody comes over and has a question or comment.
When I bring the Cayman, only the other Porsche people want to have a conversation.

+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 31 2021, 08:42 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Just remember what can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 31 2021, 09:43 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 31 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Just remember what can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

true.
happens esp to commodities which are "undervalued" or perceived to be undervalued.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 2 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2021, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2021, 12:36 AM) *

I don't know... a few weeks ago I got a wave from a 930 turbo and now this? The whole system is changing and I don't know who I am anymore.

@bbrock

Thats why you need the sticker that any good hot rod has . . . "Built Not Bought". That's who you are! Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.

The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Sep 2 2021, 09:31 AM
Post #26

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I like that!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 2 2021, 09:51 AM
Post #27

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

[The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
[/quote]

Now that’s the NARP ethic in a nutshell. Too bad it’s being torn down by johnie-come-latelies.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 2 2021, 09:55 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 09:28 AM) *
The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars.

Maybe California is different but I have not encountered any snobbery related to bringing at 9:14 to an event in years.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 2 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2021, 06:12 AM) *

Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.

My friend has a 930. That makes him a poser or less worthy of being in the Porsche community than we think we are?

Respectfully, and cooperatively, I’d suggest we need to keep open minds here to people having different interests and motivations.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 2 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #30

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Maybe we should not just dismiss the years of snobbery and discrimination outright. Just because some people haven't experienced the blatant dismissals of our cars doesn't mean it didn't happen or that we should instantly forget the ignorance and mistreatment.

NARPS Rule!
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Sep 2 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 10:28 AM) *

I don't know... a few weeks ago I got a wave from a 930 turbo and now this? The whole system is changing and I don't know who I am anymore.

@bbrock

Thats why you need the sticker that any good hot rod has . . . "Built Not Bought". That's who you are! Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.

AND the enjoyment of that one-if-a-kind air cooled sound!
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 2 2021, 06:00 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,686

Is it possible that new and expensive performance cars can attract folks that like the prestige more than the engineering aspects of ownership, whereas older performance cars tend to be the other way around?

Perhaps the 930 owner today cares more about the engineering and therefore has more in common with a 914 owner?

When I drive our 914 we get waves from most owners of old Pcars and VWs, but rarely from a new 911 Turbo S driver. When we drive our 911 Turbo the Turbo S driver waves, but never anyone else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif).

Not sure that the average new Turbo S owner knows what a 914 is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 3 2021, 01:23 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I am lucky enough to have both, plus several others. These days the Palma Green (with most of the paint faded to the primer) /4 914 is my favorite.

Hopefully next year a Marathon Blue /6 will be on the roads
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 3 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

from a 1989 english mag i had in a box.

Attached Image

was right about one thing - "there was still time to buy"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
usa folks would have found remark about 914s being rare strange in 1989.
but always were in rhd countries.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 3 2021, 07:44 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Always had major respect for the engineering that went into the 930. After its overall P1 win at LeMans in 1979 with the Kremer K3, I thought what a blast it would be to drive a street version. So an opportunity to own a '79 3.3L came to be !
I've used it several times in adverts, appearing here in the 1989 MSDS parts brochure, seen here in front of a friend's narrow body six conversion, at a relatives house. I still wrench on it today, real simple CIS, non-catalyst, non ecu, well engineered and blindingly quick. Never had a negative encounter with car enthusiasts of different makes.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nomedulla
post Sep 3 2021, 07:47 PM
Post #36

NOMEDULLA

Member No.: 5,759
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 10:28 AM) *

@bbrock

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:49 AM