Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ADDED 924 Turbo to stable!, New Restoration Project
JamesM
post Oct 27 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Wow that sucks. Didnt realize there was interest/a market for them. When I got my 931 you practically had to give them away. That was actually the only reason I picked mine up, the guy was walking distance from my house and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse before I literally pushed the car home.

Seriously though, if you are set on a 931, dont limit your search to just the 81 (S2,S3) cars, and be sure to read up on the situation with the flywheel sensors before you get into an 81 as that is a huge headache that you avoid going with an 80. Think I saw somewhere that someone was looking at producing a replacement but dont know if that has happened yet, otherwise, if that sensor dies your car becomes permanent yard art.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 06:51 PM) *

Well, the Seller of the 924 Turbo shafted me. Even tho we had a contract and I sent him $500.00.

Seller quit communicating with me 3 days ago. Didn't even have decency to contact me if he sold it to someone else - which I assume he did. I could make a lot of not-nice comments, but why? Was picking up car Friday or Sat.

Put Stop Payment on check tonight.

May have been a bad idea to post link here before I had the car, but I wanted feedback from the Brain Trust. Won't do that next time. Have seen others do it and thought it would be ok. But I have no idea if that was what happened.

Not upset. Maybe something major was wrong with the car - I'll never know. Moving on. Such is life. It's for the best.

Looking now for an 81 or later 931 now. No hurry.

Appreciate y'all keeping your eyes out for me.

GN

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 27 2021, 12:12 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear, but you will probably end up with something better if it doesn't work out. Personally I'd rather have an 87/88 924S. Much easier to work on and more desirable. 924 body, 944 engine.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 27 2021, 04:26 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

James -

Yes, I read about that sensor and its failing. No, don't want that.

Deal on '80 has been resurrected. Seller now wants to do it again.

We'll see.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 27 2021, 11:09 AM) *

Wow that sucks. Didnt realize there was interest/a market for them. When I got my 931 you practically had to give them away. That was actually the only reason I picked mine up, the guy was walking distance from my house and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse before I literally pushed the car home.

Seriously though, if you are set on a 931, dont limit your search to just the 81 (S2,S3) cars, and be sure to read up on the situation with the flywheel sensors before you get into an 81 as that is a huge headache that you avoid going with an 80. Think I saw somewhere that someone was looking at producing a replacement but dont know if that has happened yet, otherwise, if that sensor dies your car becomes permanent yard art.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 06:51 PM) *

Well, the Seller of the 924 Turbo shafted me. Even tho we had a contract and I sent him $500.00.

Seller quit communicating with me 3 days ago. Didn't even have decency to contact me if he sold it to someone else - which I assume he did. I could make a lot of not-nice comments, but why? Was picking up car Friday or Sat.

Put Stop Payment on check tonight.

May have been a bad idea to post link here before I had the car, but I wanted feedback from the Brain Trust. Won't do that next time. Have seen others do it and thought it would be ok. But I have no idea if that was what happened.

Not upset. Maybe something major was wrong with the car - I'll never know. Moving on. Such is life. It's for the best.

Looking now for an 81 or later 931 now. No hurry.

Appreciate y'all keeping your eyes out for me.

GN

+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 27 2021, 05:22 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Wow. Crazy. Hope it works out
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 28 2021, 12:50 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

esoteric detail.
original 924 prototype, when it was still a VW project - had central tach as per porsche trad.

you have to look hard at the photo but you can see it.

wonder why they didn't go through with that on the later production porsche version.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 28 2021, 07:24 AM
Post #46

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh man.
What you are telling me is throwing red flags on the seller. Proceed with caution to be sure. Maybe cash only at this point. It kinda sounds like he was after collecting the deposit and reengaged when you stopped payment for the check. Show up in person with a trailer.
Best of luck. I think they are super cool cars and I hope this works out for you!
Zach
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 28 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #47

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2021, 06:24 AM) *

Oh man.
What you are telling me is throwing red flags on the seller. Proceed with caution to be sure. Maybe cash only at this point. It kinda sounds like he was after collecting the deposit and reengaged when you stopped payment for the check. Show up in person with a trailer.
Best of luck. I think they are super cool cars and I hope this works out for you!
Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

If the deal is a possible again, show up with trailer and cash. Even then I've had to walk away. I remember one deal the guy handed me a registration and said "here's the title".

Umm, no.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 28 2021, 09:14 PM
Post #48

I totally don't get it either. ONLY place for the tach in a Porsche is in the center.

Rest of the car? Way cool!

Deal proceeding smoothly. Delay in pickup on our end - next Friday. Taking cash and trailer.

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 28 2021, 12:50 AM) *

esoteric detail.
original 924 prototype, when it was still a VW project - had central tach as per porsche trad.

you have to look hard at the photo but you can see it.

wonder why they didn't go through with that on the later production porsche version.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 28 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #49

Zach -

I think I know what happened but don't want to say it until car is in my possession.

No, he has truly been in NYC with family for week - he couldn't cash my check - didn't even know it had arrived. We have a binding contract once he cashed my check.

He is back on board enthusiasticly saying he never was not on board. He was just out of touch.

So much about this car I love.

GN

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2021, 07:24 AM) *

Oh man.
Zach

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 28 2021, 09:29 PM
Post #50

Guys -

I've never entered into a deal knowing more than I do about this car.

Again, two friends, one a mechanic, went over the car in every detail, sent me 7 videos of closeup everything. Mechanic said engine sounded smooth and great. I have video of it starting right up and running.

This is 924 Turbo #201 out of first 600 to USA. All were silver/dolomite grey, Pasha interior, Weissach wheels. It was made in 6/1979, sold on May 25th, 1980. This info from PORSCHE and here (translated):

https://translate.yandex.com/translate?url=...&lang=de-en

Front Pasha seats replaced with full leather - I'm good with that. Rear seats are Pasha.

No wreck damage, almost no rust other than bottom of front left quarter panel, which appears minor. Seller had car undercoated when he got it about 1985. Videos of underside look good. Looks like original paint. Condition good.

A member of the 924 forum from Sweden has ALL THE ORIGINAL PORSCHE FACTORY MANUALS ONLINE FOR DOWNLOAD - IN ENGLISH. And I have them all.

Seller is fully onboard, providing answers to all my questions, insists he's so glad car is going to someone who knows what it is and wants to restore it and drive it.

We were to pick car up Saturday but weather and things on our end prevent our getting car until next Friday - it is an 8 hour drive away.

Stand by and I'll keep everyone posted. But don't want to load this great 914 board with 931 stuff. (931 is Porsche's internal number for the 924 Turbo).

GN
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 29 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 73

Sounds like it'll work out! You can definitely keep posting about your new 931 in this thread or start a new build/resto thread. Many have non-914 threads. I had a Vanagon one going for a while...
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 29 2021, 08:02 AM
Post #52

Thanks Chris!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 07:01 AM) *

Sounds like it'll work out! You can definitely keep posting about your new 931 in this thread or start a new build/resto thread. Many have non-914 threads. I had a Vanagon one going for a while...

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 29 2021, 08:45 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 05:01 AM) *

I have both a Vanagon and a 931.

Fun fact, they share some of the same parts.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 29 2021, 10:01 AM
Post #54

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Keep us posted! If this works out, it'll be a score.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 29 2021, 09:04 PM
Post #55

Having restored a 914, and knowing the VW history of the 924, no surprise there.

I know the gas cap is VW - and many other parts as well.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 29 2021, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 05:01 AM) *

I have both a Vanagon and a 931.

Fun fact, they share some of the same parts.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 5 2021, 07:17 PM
Post #56

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Well guys! It happened! Picked up the sweet 924 Turbo in Cleveland early this am and brought it home tonight - long drive my self, because we picked up Rick's incredible '85 944 in Detroit last night and he drove it home after helping me load the 924.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1636161441.1.JPG)

Happy with what I bought - now have my work cut out for me. Very pleased with condition of car for my money.

First new timing belt, idler pulley, other belt. Then completely renew fuel system - lines to injectors are shot. Lots of work there.

Once I get it running, all new fluids.

Will be a slow project as I can get to it and no urgency - will be a little at at time as I always have 100 projects going on at the same time. At 76, one has to stay busy!

GN

PS: Rick's sweet 944 next......

I'll keep you all posted.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Nov 6 2021, 01:55 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

well done mate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 6 2021, 06:10 AM
Post #58

914 Guru

Awesome.. can't wait to see the progress..
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 6 2021, 07:45 AM
Post #59

Will be a slow project, other things going on.

Once engine is running well first thing I'll do is install the M471 package that is found on almost all 1980 931's - this one is actually a 1979 made in June of '79, tho indeed recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model and was sold new in May of 1980, is titled as a 1980.

"The M471 package came with 5-bolt hubs, Turbo 4-wheel disc brakes, 15″ ATS mesh wheels, Koni sport shocks, Euro Turbo 23/14mm sway bars, and the Turbo rear spoiler. Early models also came with a special “S” decal on the hood. "

There is actually a 1980 parts car on FB Marketplace in Richmond with the M471 pkg, but the owner will not respond to messages about the ad for some reason. And wants $2k for a parts car that has been sitting outdoors for 10 years.

Since I know what the parts are, might be easier to add them individually. Wheels like car has now but 5-lug may be difficult to find. Hello eBay.

Will keep you posted.

GN
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 6 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #60

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 6 2021, 05:45 AM) *

Will be a slow project, other things going on.

Once engine is running well first thing I'll do is install the M471 package that is found on almost all 1980 931's - this one is actually a 1979 made in June of '79, tho indeed recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model and was sold new in May of 1980, is titled as a 1980.

"The M471 package came with 5-bolt hubs, Turbo 4-wheel disc brakes, 15″ ATS mesh wheels, Koni sport shocks, Euro Turbo 23/14mm sway bars, and the Turbo rear spoiler. Early models also came with a special “S” decal on the hood. "

There is actually a 1980 parts car on FB Marketplace in Richmond with the M471 pkg, but the owner will not respond to messages about the ad for some reason. And wants $2k for a parts car that has been sitting outdoors for 10 years.

Since I know what the parts are, might be easier to add them individually. Wheels like car has now but 5-lug may be difficult to find. Hello eBay.

Will keep you posted.

GN

My dad had that package on his 80 924 turbo.. might have been an 81 been a long time
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:06 AM