Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ADDED 924 Turbo to stable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Gatornapper
Dear 914 friends -

At 76, I think I've got one more project in me. My Porsche genius friend Rick found me this in Cleveland:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/lake...7387301032.html

And I have a contract on it for less than asking price. Friends in Cleveland looked at it closely on Wed. nite, sent me 7 close-up videos of it and gave it a huge thumbs up. Engine did run for few seconds with starter fluid, started immediately and sounded like new. Almost no rust, interior immaculate.

This is a very rare Special Edition with custom interior, wheels and two-tone paint.

Looking for a great source of info on 924's but can't find much. Nothing like 914 world.

Any pointers for a resource like 914world would be appreciated - tho I'm sure there is none.

NO - not selling the 914! My garage has room for both cars.

TIA,

GN
Big Len
I would have bought it too. Best of luck with it.
Chris H.
Nice buy! Those are increasing in value for sure.

Here's a site I found when I considered buying a very low mileage 924:

924.org link

and the forum BBS:

924 forum

Be VERY careful when you go to start it. The timing belt has to be changed beforehand, and you should also make sure the internals are well lubricated and nothing is stuck. Maybe you are planning to rebuild so that advice doesn't apply but just in case...
infraredcalvin
Nice buy, love the pasha doors, looks nicely preserved!
mate914
I had a few 924's NA in high school. They are very good in snow.
I'm sure it will be a fun car, if you can get the fuel system cleaned.
Please don't get to excited, it is now where near a 914.
Matt flag.gif
914Sixer
IF you can, hold out for 1981 924 Turbo. In the 90's I did the 1981 model. 80 model has a bunch of quirky things. 81 model has 5 bolt wheels, larger brakes, bigger engine, revised fuel injection system, different transmission. 81 has interchangeable parts with 944. PLEASE read up .
ClayPerrine
IPB Image

My first Porsche was a 79 924. It was, without a doubt, the worst car I ever owned.

This is my opinion. Your experience may be different.

Clay
jesse7flying
Congrats on your find. You might be interested in a YouTube channel by edredas. He owns a 924S and fixes 924, 944 and 928. Wealth of knowledge in his videos.
JamesM
I picked up a non runner with the 5bolt/sport package a few years ago after encountering an offer I couldn't refuse. Had been sitting since 97 for unknown reasons.

Its a whole new learning curve but a fun car to both work on and drive. Very limited resource out there as far as information and even worse as far as parts availability (and that continues to get worse every year). I have encountered situations where all progress gets halted for months as i attempt to source parts.

Start by going through the entire fuel system (mine was completely gummed up and mechanical injection hates that) the cooling system, the timing belt (fond a major issue was the PO had it off by 2 teeth) and the vacuum elbows. That will most likely be enough to get you going.

Check to see if someone installed a manual boost controler... found one on mine and that that PO had it maxed out pushing near 30 PSI

They are fun cars to drive, though the gearing on the turbos is a little strange. I have both 914s and a 944 turbo and to me the 931 feels like a mix between the two. The Chassis being more solid and comfortable + boost makes it feel like the 944 turbo, but the lack of power steering and just overall rawness of nothing being electronicky controlled reminds me a lot of 914s.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Had a few 924's, never a 931 though. Nice find!

Favorite is the 924S, Wife had one for a number of years. It was hands down the easiest car to drive fast I've ever driven. Very forgiving, made it super fun.
JamesM
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 22 2021, 06:31 AM) *

IF you can, hold out for 1981 924 Turbo. In the 90's I did the 1981 model. 80 model has a bunch of quirky things. 81 model has 5 bolt wheels, larger brakes, bigger engine, revised fuel injection system, different transmission. 81 has interchangeable parts with 944. PLEASE read up .

Thats sort of a toss up. the 81s (S2,S3 cars) have a critical sensor for the ignition system that has been NLA for years and will leave you completely non-operational with no recourse if it isnt working,

Engine on the 81 is the same size, the turbos are smaller though for faster spool up, and thats personals opinion as to which is preferred there (a lot of people prefer the S1 cars as you can get more top end with the larger turbo.

The 80 Turbo also uses the Porsche G31 transaxle (shares a lot of parts with the 915 box)and the same shift pattern as a 914. It is both stronger and has better weight distribution than the Audi 016 box used in the 81 cars with a standard H shift pattern.

The 5 bolt pattern was not dependent on the year but rather the included packages. my 80 is 5 bolt.
Mayne
The 924 turbo is a cool car! I almost bought a green two-tone with green Pascha interior some years ago. I believe it uses the Audi-derived engine of the NA 924, so quite different than a 944/924S motor. I think it would be a neat car to restore.

Speaking of the 924S, my brother is selling his 88 on eBay right now. Lovely car.
Gatornapper
To all -

Thanks TONS for all the help!

Been out all day driving a 944 friend Rick was looking at. Rick is a Porsche genius and encyclopedia and already told me most of the details you have noted. I've also studied everything I could find on the early 924 turbos and read what's out there.

Reason I am going for the '80 with it's "deficiencies" is this is an exceptionally rare car - both a Turbo and Special Edition with that great interior - and a rare find I'm not likely to run across again. 5 wheel lugs, all disc brakes, better turbo, etc. are not worth passing by this gem. I'm not looking for 914 handling - I have that. Looking for rare collectible old Porsche worth restoring in not too bad shape. This car nails it!

Owner bought w/5,000 miles in '86. Was honest about smallest details, wanted to revive car himself he loves it so much but realizes he's not going to do it. E.g., front right drain from sunroof stopped up or broken. But as car has been stored, dampness in floor is recent from recent heavy rain.

I found 924.org, but did not find the forum and will check that out - what I was looking for.

I'm an old mechanic so I know what to do first - fuel tank, pump, lines, filters etc. renewed. Coupe tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil to sit in each cylinder for several days before starting. All new belts, hoses, especially timing. Oil & filter change, coolant change/flush soon after car is running well.

Car is in amazingly good condition and I'm hoping it will start easily once the fuel system is renewed.

Welcome more thoughts as you all have them.

With my '11 Cayman S, '76 914 and '80 931 - I think I'll have an outstanding and unusual Porsche NON-911 collection!
Tdskip
The bird has a fairly active 94–944 community, I’m sure they’ll be happy to help out.

I’ve always liked the purity of the early design, if it makes you happy go for it and please do keep us posted
JamesM
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 22 2021, 02:11 PM) *

I'm an old mechanic so I know what to do first - fuel tank, pump, lines, filters etc. renewed. Coupe tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil to sit in each cylinder for several days before starting. All new belts, hoses, especially timing. Oil & filter change, coolant change/flush soon after car is running well.

Car is in amazingly good condition and I'm hoping it will start easily once the fuel system is renewed.

If it sounds good running on starting fluid that's a good sign, sounds like you may mainly be dealing with fueling system issues.

Thoughts...

A couple things that i remember when i brought mine back from the dead 7 or so years ago.

The fuel/vacuum system accounted for 90% of the work in getting it going again.

The car has 2 fuel pumps an external high pressure pump, and an in-tank pump with attached filter. The high pressure pump can be had fairly cheap and is no big deal to replace. The in tank pump on the other hand may have you questioning your life choices if you look at how much it costs (north of 800 bucks last time i looked). More bad news is that i hear the pumps available today have fitment issues in the 931 tanks as well. If the in tank pump has failed (which after 17 years it is almost surely frozen) you can get the car to start and idle, but it creates enough of a restriction that it impacts fueling under load. Thankfully is there a part from later 928s that can be used in place of this pump (928 201 081 04) however the nipple is larger so the fuel hose to the pump will need to be replaced as well.

The piston in the fuel distributor is most likely seized due to varnish. This is probably the most critical part of the fuel metering. Be careful getting it out as you wont want to scratch it at all.

The fuel filter installs in the reverse orientation of what you would think it would due to how the lines are routed.

There are I think 5 different formed rubber elbows in the intake system. I was able to still source them back when I got mine going, but last I looked many of them are now NLA everywhere so you may need to get creative. These have most likely cracked and all are critical for proper fuel control. the injection system on these things is very sensitive to vacuum and fuel pressure issues. One of the elbows is right off the turbo and more or less behind the water pump so plan on doing the water pump and timing belt as well as you have to go through those to get there.

Some some of the coolant hoses are shared with the NA 924 but a lot of the turbo specific coolant hoses are NLA.

931 coolant expansion tanks are (or at least were) extremely hard to come by however the VW scirocco tank is a very close fit and can be made to work.

There was a 931 specific vendor (ideola) around when i brought mine back that had a lot of cool bits for the 931 however he recently closed up shop. Not aware of many vendors that specifically cater to the 931 anymore. Thankfully Porsche has brought some of the more impossibly critical parts for this car back into production since then (see cam oiler elbow) though others like the air flow meter to turbo boot are still impossible to come by.

There is a group on facebook for 924 Carerra GTs/Turbos that I have found to be far more active than the 924 forums.

Start your hunt for a Canadian Speedometer now, the 85mph thing gets old real quick as the car easily buries the needle long before you even hit 5th gear. 160MPH speedos exist BUT the green gauges were 1 year only (like many of the 931 parts), all the US cars had the legally mandated 85 MPH speedos and all the Euro cars had KPH gauges so the green 160MPH gauges are like hens teeth. They do exist though

good luck. They are fun (and now EXTREAMLY rare cars). Seriously in 30+ years of Porsche obsession the only 931 I have ever personally seen on the road is mine. I have seen more people driving 959s and Carerra GTs.

Gatornapper
Mark -

Thanks for tip, but I'm committed. If I get this car running like new and fixed up - and don't like it - I'll look for a later model or even a 944 Turbo.

And sell this one at a profit. biggrin.gif

What I like most about this 931 are it's being a Special Edition, its rarity, and my fav colors - silver & grey - and its price. Not likely to find all those in a newer model.

GN

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 22 2021, 08:31 AM) *

Jett
Love the car!
Gatornapper
Thanks Clay - I always appreciate and respect your input/feedback.

But see my reply to Mark....

GN

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 22 2021, 08:45 AM) *

IPB Image

My first Porsche was a 79 924. It was, without a doubt, the worst car I ever owned.

This is my opinion. Your experience may be different.

Clay

Gatornapper
Jesse -

THANKS! Will do!

GN

QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Oct 22 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Congrats on your find. You might be interested in a YouTube channel by edredas. He owns a 924S and fixes 924, 944 and 928. Wealth of knowledge in his videos.

Gatornapper
James -

Wow - great list of tips - thank you. Glad to know you are there for 931 details. Watch out - I'll be pinging you I'm sure!

As to 2 - fuel pumps - from all I've read so far, that began in '81 and the earlier 931's only had the HP pump.

I'm not buying this car for its performance - I have both a Cayman S and 914 for that. I'm buying it for its rarity and great condition at a great price. Hey, a 914 is fairly rare in central VA - I get waves and thumbs up everywhere I go. And if RickB45 doesn't bring his sweet '72 914 (like new) to C&C - mine's the only one there.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 22 2021, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 22 2021, 02:11 PM) *

If it sounds good running on starting fluid that's a good sign, sounds like you may mainly be dealing with fueling system issues.

Thoughts...

A couple things that i remember when i brought mine back from the dead 7 or so years ago.

The fuel/vacuum system accounted for 90% of the work in getting it going again.

The car has 2 fuel pumps an external high pressure pump, and an in-tank pump with attached filter. The high pressure pump can be had fairly cheap and is no big deal to replace. The in tank pump on the other hand may have you questioning your life choices if you look at how much it costs (north of 800 bucks last time i looked). More bad news is that i hear the pumps available today have fitment issues in the 931 tanks as well. If the in tank pump has failed (which after 17 years it is almost surely frozen) you can get the car to start and idle, but it creates enough of a restriction that it impacts fueling under load. Thankfully is there a part from later 928s that can be used in place of this pump (928 201 081 04) however the nipple is larger so the fuel hose to the pump will need to be replaced as well.

The piston in the fuel distributor is most likely seized due to varnish. This is probably the most critical part of the fuel metering. Be careful getting it out as you wont want to scratch it at all.

The fuel filter installs in the reverse orientation of what you would think it would due to how the lines are routed.

There are I think 5 different formed rubber elbows in the intake system. I was able to still source them back when I got mine going, but last I looked many of them are now NLA everywhere so you may need to get creative. These have most likely cracked and all are critical for proper fuel control. the injection system on these things is very sensitive to vacuum and fuel pressure issues. One of the elbows is right off the turbo and more or less behind the water pump so plan on doing the water pump and timing belt as well as you have to go through those to get there.

Some some of the coolant hoses are shared with the NA 924 but a lot of the turbo specific coolant hoses are NLA.

931 coolant expansion tanks are (or at least were) extremely hard to come by however the VW scirocco tank is a very close fit and can be made to work.

There was a 931 specific vendor (ideola) around when i brought mine back that had a lot of cool bits for the 931 however he recently closed up shop. Not aware of many vendors that specifically cater to the 931 anymore. Thankfully Porsche has brought some of the more impossibly critical parts for this car back into production since then (see cam oiler elbow) though others like the air flow meter to turbo boot are still impossible to come by.

There is a group on facebook for 924 Carerra GTs/Turbos that I have found to be far more active than the 924 forums.

Start your hunt for a Canadian Speedometer now, the 85mph thing gets old real quick as the car easily buries the needle long before you even hit 5th gear. 160MPH speedos exist BUT the green gauges were 1 year only (like many of the 931 parts), all the US cars had the legally mandated 85 MPH speedos and all the Euro cars had KPH gauges so the green 160MPH gauges are like hens teeth. They do exist though

good luck. They are fun (and now EXTREAMLY rare cars). Seriously in 30+ years of Porsche obsession the only 931 I have ever personally seen on the road is mine. I have seen more people driving 959s and Carerra GTs.
wonkipop
nice buy @Gatornapper

924 turbos are a rare sight these days in aus, imagine it is the same in the USA.
never driven one but i hear they go.
there used to be some trick to them with owners down here due to hot conditions in aus - you were advised after a long hard run not to shut down the engine straight away, but to let it idle for a while at rest - supposedly help preserve the turbo bearings.

the ones we got in aus were the euro spec versions with heaps of power.
enough to frighten you.

i have driven a plain jane 924 thirty years back. the na engine was nothing to jump up and down about the high speed handling and balance of the car was fantastic straight out of the box bone stock. under-rated car. there are a few 924S down here that were privately imported from the UK and still to this day are tightly held passing from owner to owner off the radar. love the styling of the 924 turbo, real cult car. it lost a bit when they pumped it up into the 944.
beerchug.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 22 2021, 05:36 PM) *

James -

As to 2 - fuel pumps - from all I've read so far, that began in '81 and the earlier 931's only had the HP pump.

Granted I only have experience with the 1 car, but my 80 S1 car had both pumps
Gatornapper
Pop -

The idle cool down when hot is really important on all turbos and yes, not doing it will destroy turbo bearings. Pretty sure this is true on all turbos. I had turbo on my new '06 Chevy Silverado DURAMAX diesel - now worth more than what I sold it for in '11! And I have a John Deere 5045E tractor that is turbo diesel.

Most turbo owners know this - but too many do not.

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 22 2021, 07:46 PM) *

nice buy @Gatornapper

924 turbos are a rare sight these days in aus, imagine it is the same in the USA.
never driven one but i hear they go.
there used to be some trick to them with owners down here due to hot conditions in aus - you were advised after a long hard run not to shut down the engine straight away, but to let it idle for a while at rest - supposedly help preserve the turbo bearings.

the ones we got in aus were the euro spec versions with heaps of power.
enough to frighten you.

i have driven a plain jane 924 thirty years back. the na engine was nothing to jump up and down about the high speed handling and balance of the car was fantastic straight out of the box bone stock. under-rated car. there are a few 924S down here that were privately imported from the UK and still to this day are tightly held passing from owner to owner off the radar. love the styling of the 924 turbo, real cult car. it lost a bit when they pumped it up into the 944.
beerchug.gif

Gatornapper
James -

Thanks for the correction. I'll be looking for the 2 fuel pumps. Have never liked in tank fuel pumps of any kind.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 22 2021, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 22 2021, 05:36 PM) *

James -

Granted I only have experience with the 1 car, but my 80 S1 car had both pumps

mb911
Absolutely love that car. Would love to have one.
Mayne
Also, check the Rennlist sub-forums for more good info on these cars.
Gatornapper
Ben -

Thinking I will too.

Jeremy -

Thanks for tip - I am Rennslist member.....and will do!

Interesting: here, there are 100 posts a day, or way more. On the 924board.org forum, looks like 1 post every 2 months!

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 23 2021, 06:42 AM) *

Absolutely love that car. Would love to have one.

Gatornapper
FOUND IT!

THE HOLY GRAIL!

Of "How to Resurrect a 924 Turbo"! In detail beyond my highest expectations!

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

GN
Tdskip
We are all hoping for lots of pictures and updates from you on this.
Gatornapper
TD -

And I CAN'T WAIT to get the car and send them! piratenanner.gif

While we are in the Lake Erie area, good friend RickB45 wants to look at a nice 944 in Detroit, & he just may drive it home if he likes it. biggrin.gif

GN

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 24 2021, 06:22 AM) *

Gatornapper
So keeping a 924 thread going wouldn't be considered "high-jacking" the very best forum on all the internet?????? biggrin.gif

GN

PS: The folks on the 924 forum, 924board.org, need to learn from everyone here on how to do a great forum...... cool_shades.gif

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 24 2021, 06:22 AM) *

Gatornapper
Well, the Seller of the 924 Turbo shafted me. Even tho we had a contract and I sent him $500.00.

Seller quit communicating with me 3 days ago. Didn't even have decency to contact me if he sold it to someone else - which I assume he did. I could make a lot of not-nice comments, but why? Was picking up car Friday or Sat.

Put Stop Payment on check tonight.

May have been a bad idea to post link here before I had the car, but I wanted feedback from the Brain Trust. Won't do that next time. Have seen others do it and thought it would be ok. But I have no idea if that was what happened.

Not upset. Maybe something major was wrong with the car - I'll never know. Moving on. Such is life. It's for the best.

Looking now for an 81 or later 931 now. No hurry.

Appreciate y'all keeping your eyes out for me.

GN
wonkipop
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 08:51 PM) *

Well, the Seller of the 924 Turbo shafted me. Even tho we had a contract and I sent him $500.00.

Seller quit communicating with me 3 days ago. Didn't even have decency to contact me if he sold it to someone else - which I assume he did. I could make a lot of not-nice comments, but why? Was picking up car Friday or Sat.

May have been a bad idea to post link here before I had the car, but I wanted feedback from the Brain Trust. Won't do that next time. Have seen others do it and thought it would be ok. But I have no idea if that was what happened.

Not upset. Maybe something major was wrong with the car - I'll never know. Moving on. Such is life. It's for the best.

GN

what a bastard.

expand your possible options.
i hear the 924 S is also a real good car.
good luck with further searching.
Gatornapper
Yes, 924 S is in the search. Has the Porsche balanced engine.

But I do like the rarity of the Turbo.

GN

what a bastard.

Gatornapper
Stand by
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 27 2021, 01:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 08:51 PM) *

GN

what a bastard.

agree.gif well that sucks. i wonder how many other $500 deposits he tried to take in ,
i would certainly post this on the 924 forum just ans we would here for a 914 scumbag seller, help protect the naïve and innocent -

i am sure you can find something better now that they are on your radar, i'm sure you will find one,
mb911
Well that sucks.. I know there is a 931 specialty shop about 45 minutes south of me.

There was also one repainted a different color local to me but I have to many projects now. The 928 is consuming my time and funds.
Mayne
Sorry to hear the deal fell through! Check out my brother’s auction before it ends later today. Rare color, sport seats, recent maintenance.
924S
Gatornapper
Mayne -

WHERE is the car?

Thanks,

GN

QUOTE(Mayne @ Oct 27 2021, 06:42 AM) *

Sorry to hear the deal fell through! Check out my brother’s auction before it ends later today. Rare color, sport seats, recent maintenance.
924S

Mayne
Albuquerque NM, if you meant its physical location.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 27 2021, 08:22 AM) *

Mayne -

WHERE is the car?

Thanks,

GN

QUOTE(Mayne @ Oct 27 2021, 06:42 AM) *

924S

JamesM
Wow that sucks. Didnt realize there was interest/a market for them. When I got my 931 you practically had to give them away. That was actually the only reason I picked mine up, the guy was walking distance from my house and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse before I literally pushed the car home.

Seriously though, if you are set on a 931, dont limit your search to just the 81 (S2,S3) cars, and be sure to read up on the situation with the flywheel sensors before you get into an 81 as that is a huge headache that you avoid going with an 80. Think I saw somewhere that someone was looking at producing a replacement but dont know if that has happened yet, otherwise, if that sensor dies your car becomes permanent yard art.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 06:51 PM) *

GN

Chris H.
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear, but you will probably end up with something better if it doesn't work out. Personally I'd rather have an 87/88 924S. Much easier to work on and more desirable. 924 body, 944 engine.
Gatornapper
James -

Yes, I read about that sensor and its failing. No, don't want that.

Deal on '80 has been resurrected. Seller now wants to do it again.

We'll see.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 27 2021, 11:09 AM) *

Wow that sucks. Didnt realize there was interest/a market for them. When I got my 931 you practically had to give them away. That was actually the only reason I picked mine up, the guy was walking distance from my house and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse before I literally pushed the car home.

Seriously though, if you are set on a 931, dont limit your search to just the 81 (S2,S3) cars, and be sure to read up on the situation with the flywheel sensors before you get into an 81 as that is a huge headache that you avoid going with an 80. Think I saw somewhere that someone was looking at producing a replacement but dont know if that has happened yet, otherwise, if that sensor dies your car becomes permanent yard art.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 26 2021, 06:51 PM) *

GN

mb911
Wow. Crazy. Hope it works out
wonkipop
esoteric detail.
original 924 prototype, when it was still a VW project - had central tach as per porsche trad.

you have to look hard at the photo but you can see it.

wonder why they didn't go through with that on the later production porsche version.

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Oh man.
What you are telling me is throwing red flags on the seller. Proceed with caution to be sure. Maybe cash only at this point. It kinda sounds like he was after collecting the deposit and reengaged when you stopped payment for the check. Show up in person with a trailer.
Best of luck. I think they are super cool cars and I hope this works out for you!
Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2021, 06:24 AM) *

Oh man.
What you are telling me is throwing red flags on the seller. Proceed with caution to be sure. Maybe cash only at this point. It kinda sounds like he was after collecting the deposit and reengaged when you stopped payment for the check. Show up in person with a trailer.
Best of luck. I think they are super cool cars and I hope this works out for you!
Zach

agree.gif

If the deal is a possible again, show up with trailer and cash. Even then I've had to walk away. I remember one deal the guy handed me a registration and said "here's the title".

Umm, no.
Gatornapper
I totally don't get it either. ONLY place for the tach in a Porsche is in the center.

Rest of the car? Way cool!

Deal proceeding smoothly. Delay in pickup on our end - next Friday. Taking cash and trailer.

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 28 2021, 12:50 AM) *

esoteric detail.
original 924 prototype, when it was still a VW project - had central tach as per porsche trad.

you have to look hard at the photo but you can see it.

wonder why they didn't go through with that on the later production porsche version.

Click to view attachment

Gatornapper
Zach -

I think I know what happened but don't want to say it until car is in my possession.

No, he has truly been in NYC with family for week - he couldn't cash my check - didn't even know it had arrived. We have a binding contract once he cashed my check.

He is back on board enthusiasticly saying he never was not on board. He was just out of touch.

So much about this car I love.

GN

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 28 2021, 07:24 AM) *

Oh man.
Zach

Gatornapper
Guys -

I've never entered into a deal knowing more than I do about this car.

Again, two friends, one a mechanic, went over the car in every detail, sent me 7 videos of closeup everything. Mechanic said engine sounded smooth and great. I have video of it starting right up and running.

This is 924 Turbo #201 out of first 600 to USA. All were silver/dolomite grey, Pasha interior, Weissach wheels. It was made in 6/1979, sold on May 25th, 1980. This info from PORSCHE and here (translated):

https://translate.yandex.com/translate?url=...&lang=de-en

Front Pasha seats replaced with full leather - I'm good with that. Rear seats are Pasha.

No wreck damage, almost no rust other than bottom of front left quarter panel, which appears minor. Seller had car undercoated when he got it about 1985. Videos of underside look good. Looks like original paint. Condition good.

A member of the 924 forum from Sweden has ALL THE ORIGINAL PORSCHE FACTORY MANUALS ONLINE FOR DOWNLOAD - IN ENGLISH. And I have them all.

Seller is fully onboard, providing answers to all my questions, insists he's so glad car is going to someone who knows what it is and wants to restore it and drive it.

We were to pick car up Saturday but weather and things on our end prevent our getting car until next Friday - it is an 8 hour drive away.

Stand by and I'll keep everyone posted. But don't want to load this great 914 board with 931 stuff. (931 is Porsche's internal number for the 924 Turbo).

GN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.