Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ADDED 924 Turbo to stable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Gatornapper
Any 924 Turbo owners here, I could use your help.

Cannot get the timing belt cover off - all unbolted, loose, cannot get out. Also a major belt clearance problem between intake manifold beneath fuel distributor and the water pump - less that thickness of water pump belt.

See here for my questions:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=407984#407984

TIA,

GN
mb911
I seem to remember my dad taking the turbo off the car for the timing belt job. it is pretty in depth.
Gatornapper
Ben -

ARGHHHHH!!! I hope not! Taking fuel distributor off now to move it an inch or two forward - hoping that may do it........

Thanks.

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 17 2021, 07:26 PM) *

I seem to remember my dad taking the turbo off the car for the timing belt job. it is pretty in depth.

infraredcalvin
Funny, all this 924 talk and look what I found I’m my bag of stuff that came with my -6…

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Anybody have a Weissach Ed?
JamesM
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 17 2021, 05:01 PM) *

Any 924 Turbo owners here, I could use your help.

Cannot get the timing belt cover off - all unbolted, loose, cannot get out. Also a major belt clearance problem between intake manifold beneath fuel distributor and the water pump - less that thickness of water pump belt.

See here for my questions:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=407984#407984

TIA,

GN

Its been a couple years since I did mine but i remember it being more difficult than you would expect to get that stupid cover off, probably why most pictures of peoples cars they are not reinstalled. I don't remember the exact process but more has to come out than you would think. Pretty sure the turbo charge tube has to come off, but for sure the turbo itself does not (which is good as I hear pulling the turbo is so difficult that a lot of people just pull the motor, but haven't attempted it myself yet)
Gatornapper
Ok, Calvin.

I can match those: The "Introductory Model" - only 600 made, mine #201 -

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

biggrin.gif

GN

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 17 2021, 11:16 PM) *

Funny, all this 924 talk and look what I found I’m my bag of stuff that came with my -6…

Anybody have a Weissach Ed?

Gatornapper
I you are thinking of getting a 924 Turbo, be prepared for finding engine work very difficult. The turbo and its associated parts are so jammed in the engine bay that working on anything up there is a BEAR.

NOT your normal everyday wrenching.......you'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to get to parts, and how to remove 10 parts to get to the one you have to work on.

The 914 was a joy by comparison.

GN
windforfun
Didn't the 944 use a piston counterbalancing design that was licensed from Mitsubishi (IIRC).
Gatornapper
Correct. They hated doing that but much less expensive than developing their own. Somewhere I read it was like $11/car.

GN

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 22 2021, 07:54 PM) *

Didn't the 944 use a piston counterbalancing design that was licensed from Mitsubishi (IIRC).

Gatornapper
Been a while since my last post on my progress on the 924T, or 931 ask known by owners.

Golly - where to start?

New timing belt, idler pulley, water pump, coolant, K&N air filter, spark plugs (wires, dizzy cap & rotor later - look good for now).

Removing timing belt cover a nightmare, almost impossible, on Turbo 924's. Several day job. Had to bend parts of it to get it off - then took snips to cover and cut off offending sections.

Some PO had converted fog light switch to secret kill switch killing power to fuel pump. Eliminated that wiring. When I find some original fog lights I'll run them as DRL's w/LEDs as on my 914.

Adjusted valves - another nightmare - far too complex to explain here - like nothing I've ever seen. Very difficult. A tiny 3mm allen screw in cam follower that's very difficult has to be rotated 360 deg. to change lash by .002" Almost impossible with Allen "L" wrench - but doable with difficulty. Surprising lack of detail on web and in Haynes manual.

All new rear brake assemblies, bled and adjusted - yes, they are drum.

New clutch master and slave cylinders, bled and working fine - first time I've had clutch since I picked up the car. Bolts on master cylinder impossible to reach. Starter had to come off to replace the slave. 2 - 19mm bolts holding starter in (original I think) took 100 ft.lbs. to break loose and then 50 ft.lbs. to turn for all but last threads. All renewed now.

Fuel system completely flushed & clean, all systems looking good. New fuel pump, in-tank filter replacing original in-tank fuel pump, line hoses, filter, and rebuilt fuel tank sending unit.

Injectors clogged. Soaked in Berryman's Chem Dip Carb cleaner for hour, then in ultrasonic cleaner with no success. Finally put the Berryman's in the ultrasonic cleaner and ran each injector for an hour and got them unclogged.

BUT, spray pattern on 3 out of 4 was not good, so had to order 4 new ones from Pelican. $176 ea. from Porsche, got them for $61 ea. So, all new fuel injectors. They are mechanical, not electrical. New to me.

Fixed a lot of small things like rear lights - corrosion on galvanized metal panels holding all lamps prevented many from working - now fixed.

New rear hatch strut. Lots off missing small parts replaced thanks to both Pelican and Auto Atlanta.

I'm probably missing something, but this is most of it. Been getting help from 3 guys on 924board.org, one in Sweden who provided me with all factory shop manuals in English in PDF format. Yay. But while the Germans have great engineering, the way they organize their info is plain weird - and alien.

Still very pleased with condition of this car - it is excellent and I can't wait to drive it. Hope to get engine running this week. Will try to add pics later.

Will let you all know.

GN
JamesM
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 19 2021, 07:31 AM) *

New timing belt, idler pulley, water pump, coolant, K&N air filter, spark plugs (wires, dizzy cap & rotor later - look good for now).

So you probably are not going to be happy to here this but...

There are a number of rubber vacuum elbows that are probably going to need to be replaced as vacuum leaks are a huge issue with these cars running properly.

Most of them are NLA now so you will need to get creative.

Worse though is that there is one that come offs the turbo and if I recall was somewhat blocked by the water pump/easier with the water pump out.

Don't worry though, the timing belt and water pump come off far easier the second time... ask me how i know.
Gatornapper
James -

Thank you. I know how you know. Is not experience the best teacher?

I was forewarned about the vacuum hoses in advance, but mine look so good I decided to take the risk on them. A guy on the 924 forum sourced a place that has silicone hoses that can replace the originals. Flexible enough to handle most of the original tight bends.

Yes, doing most complex things a 2nd time takes half the time, the 3rd time a 1/4, and so on.

AND I intentionally left OFF the timing belt cover for the very reason you mentioned. And that is half the battle there with the belt.

Keep the suggestions coming James - I'm one who appreciates them.

And I'll keep it posted here how it goes with the vacuum hoses........

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 19 2021, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 19 2021, 07:31 AM) *

So you probably are not going to be happy to here this but...

There are a number of rubber vacuum elbows that are probably going to need to be replaced as vacuum leaks are a huge issue with these cars running properly.

Most of them are NLA now so you will need to get creative.

Worse though is that there is one that come offs the turbo and if I recall was somewhat blocked by the water pump/easier with the water pump out.

Don't worry though, the timing belt and water pump come off far easier the second time... ask me how i know.

Gatornapper
Few pics for Post #110:

Camshaft with followers underneath:

IPB Image

Follower beneath cam above valve - hole in follower is end of 3mm Allen screw that indicates which thickness it is. To access Allen end, you have to rotate follower 180 deg. and insert Allen wrench in opposite end. This pic is rotated 180 deg. from above pic.

IPB Image

And here is the Allen screw. Adjusted, flat side is always down, face on the end of the valve. Each rotation of screw changes thickness, and thus lash, .002". Screw IN (CW) for less lash, OUT (CCW) for more lash. Kind of hard to grasp until you see it. Screw is about 1" long:

IPB Image

And here is a pic of how the Allen wrench fits in the follower. I used an "L" wrench, not the one in the pic.

IPB Image

You can see you can only rotate the Allen wrench one face at a time (1/6th turn, 60 deg.). That makes an adjustment of .002" divided by 6.

914 valve adjustment is tight - but so much easier.

GN

Gatornapper
[/u]JUST POSSIBLY THE BIGGEST AND MOST WONDERFUL SURPRISE OF MY LIFE!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Friday through Sunday 931 would start but not run for more than a few seconds. Yesterday it would not start at all. Put my frustration level at a 12 on a 10-pt. scale.

Today about noon I double-checked some things, and thought, well, might as well try one more time.

Not only did the engine start immediately, I was able - barely - to keep it limping along pumping the accel pedal furiously. I thought, oh! If I could just keep it running! Well, I did. Or it did. BARELY running, missing like crazy, revs up, almost to zero, up, zero and so on.

BUT I KEPT IT RUNNING FOR 3 or 4 minutes and SHAZAM!!! all of a sudden the engine hits some smooth spots! Intermittent, but very noticeable and significant! So I just kept it running....and all of a sudden, after 5 to 7 minutes the engine begins running smoothly as I keep it about 2,000 RPM.

Surely if I let it drop to idle, it will die. NO! I let it drop to idle and the engine PURRS!

THE LONGER I RAN IT, THE BETTER IT RAN! But I figured what it needs now is 2 cans of Seafoam. Whatever was clogging up the CIS was being broken free and the system getting cleansed. Do I dare take it on road??????? Why not?

I called my insurance company, added the car, threw an Antique tag on the back and called my Porsche friend Rick who came right over. (Rick found the 931 for me, a Porsche genius, has 356 replica, Concours '72 914, almost like-new '85 944 and '04 911.)

Totally amazed, we drove out on the highway with the engine running like new! So we put it through its paces, and it is running flawlessly! EVERYTHING IS WORKING! Temp stayed perfect, fans working. I had already gotten all the lights working. Tranny and suspension are great! Car is TIGHT!!! It's almost like a new car - other than the hatch rattle in the back.

So Rick and I spent a good 30-40 minutes thrashing the 931, and it is doing all things well! Well, the steering is quite an effort as I'm used to my 914. But the Turbo kicks in nicely, smoothly, and sweetly adds its power!

From a long history of working on cars, trucks, motorcycles, I thought it would be months before I'd get the 931 to where it is today.

I consider it a miracle.

Now just can't wait to see what some new tires and Bilsteins will do for the car!

I could not be a happier 931 owner!

GN
914Sixer
Good for you aktion035.gif
JamesM
Not sure if i asked/mentioned that you will probably want to clean the fuel distributor/specifically the metal plunger fuel meter thingy really well.

Mine did the same thing when i first brought it back to life, the fuel meter rod was seized in its bore. Lots of soaking in cleaners and manually manipulating the shaft until it smoothly fell out of the bore took care of most of the issues.

If the fuel distributor was gummed up chances are your fuel accumulator may be shot as well. Replacing that made a HUGE difference for me in starting. Mine starts/restarts on the first compression stroke pretty much every time now. Its probably worth removing and inspecting/cleaning up the WUR as well as the fuel varnish is going to be everywhere in the system. Seafoam/cleaners in the fuel may be enough to take care of that though and its a little more difficult to get to, so maybe take a wait and see approach there.

For being the "Low end" Porsche it is surprising how tight and solid 931s feel when coming from a 914. I describe my 80 as feeling like a cross between a 914 and a 951. Still has the rawness of a 914 with the dog leg 931 and no power steering, but the comfort of a 944... and then BOOST!!!

Seriously if your car doesn't already have one look at getting a manual boost controller. Just upping the turbo pressure a couple PSI over stock really transforms the car. Just maybe not on a hot day.

Gatornapper
James -

From all my research I was fully prepared to do just what you described.

But it is not needed. I cannot imagine the engine running better than it does. Like new. Whatever was gumming up the CIS system - and I think the metal rod/plunger was a major part - is now completely cleared up. I'm glad - from all I read, I did not want to touch mine. Now I don't need to. Thankfully, fuel accumulator seems fine. Getting almost 1 liter flow in 30 seconds - 750ml is minimum.

Yes, you describe the car quite accurately. In every detail! Like the cross between 914 and 951.

Already picked out a nice manual boost controller a few weeks ago, made in Canada. On my list....OR.......

One expert said taking out catalyst alone raises boost significantly and safely due to loss of back pressure....now the factory boost will result in more HP. Problem is all exhaust is ONE PIECE STAINLESS STEEL. I can weld, but not stainless. Leaning that way if I can find someone who welds stainless.

Keep the suggestions coming - love hearing from those who have "gone before me" on this 931 journey.

Now it will be a battle over whether I drive the 931 or 914......

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 28 2021, 08:03 PM) *

Not sure if i asked/mentioned that you will probably want to clean the fuel distributor/specifically the metal plunger fuel meter thingy really well.

Mine did the same thing when i first brought it back to life, the fuel meter rod was seized in its bore. Lots of soaking in cleaners and manually manipulating the shaft until it smoothly fell out of the bore took care of most of the issues.

If the fuel distributor was gummed up chances are your fuel accumulator may be shot as well. Replacing that made a HUGE difference for me in starting. Mine starts/restarts on the first compression stroke pretty much every time now. Its probably worth removing and inspecting/cleaning up the WUR as well as the fuel varnish is going to be everywhere in the system. Seafoam/cleaners in the fuel may be enough to take care of that though and its a little more difficult to get to, so maybe take a wait and see approach there.

For being the "Low end" Porsche it is surprising how tight and solid 931s feel when coming from a 914. I describe my 80 as feeling like a cross between a 914 and a 951. Still has the rawness of a 914 with the dog leg 931 and no power steering, but the comfort of a 944... and then BOOST!!!

Seriously if your car doesn't already have one look at getting a manual boost controller. Just upping the turbo pressure a couple PSI over stock really transforms the car. Just maybe not on a hot day.

dstudeba
Congrats Gatornapper, wonderful news!!
Gatornapper
Question for other 931 owners here:

As the 931 has manual steering, I was expecting some steering effort. But the effort required is way above/beyond my expectations. R&P seems to work fine, can't detect anything wrong. It's just that the effort required - especially at parking speeds - is off the chart.

Is extremely heavy steering the inherent nature of a 931?

Or could it be a result of the car being in storage for 17 years?

Any tips on what I can do about it?

Are there known ways to lighten the work required?

As always, TIA for the help.

GN
JamesM

I had not even thought about my catalyst, but it makes sense. A cat bypass on 944 turbos is one of the first upgrades people recommend. Given crap I have seen out my exhaust im sure my cat is blown/plugged anyways.

Wondering if we could just drop the exhaust and use the broomstick method to hallow it out? It looks like one end of the pipe is a straight shot to/through the cat.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-924-turb...r-p-479513.aspx

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 28 2021, 07:03 PM) *

James -

But it is not needed. I cannot imagine the engine running better than it does. Like new. Whatever was gumming up the CIS system - and I think the metal rod/plunger was a major part - is now completely cleared up. I'm glad - from all I read, I did not want to touch mine. Now I don't need to. Thankfully, fuel accumulator seems fine. Getting almost 1 liter flow in 30 seconds - 750ml is minimum.

Yes, you describe the car quite accurately. In every detail! Like the cross between 914 and 951.

Already picked out a nice manual boost controller a few weeks ago, made in Canada. On my list....OR.......

One expert said taking out catalyst alone raises boost significantly and safely due to loss of back pressure....now the factory boost will result in more HP. Problem is all exhaust is ONE PIECE STAINLESS STEEL. I can weld, but not stainless. Leaning that way if I can find someone who welds stainless.

Keep the suggestions coming - love hearing from those who have "gone before me" on this 931 journey.

GN

JamesM
Low speeds are for sure a workout, highway speeds it feels about how I would want it to.

Replacing the tires from the 90s helped on mine. Type of tire may have some effect as well.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 29 2021, 06:02 AM) *

As the 931 has manual steering, I was expecting some steering effort. But the effort required is way above/beyond my expectations. R&P seems to work fine, can't detect anything wrong. It's just that the effort required - especially at parking speeds - is off the chart.

GN

mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 29 2021, 05:02 AM) *

GN

My dad's 931 was terribly hard to steer in like a parking lot etc. The car was only 3 years old at that time.
Van B
I had a 944 that I converted to manual steering rack back in college. I still joke about how hard it was to drive home after working my shoulders in the gym lol… felt great at speed and is still to this day, the absolute best steering feel I’ve ever had in a car, but it was a bear in the parking lot.
Gatornapper
James -

While the original Porsche part diagram of the exhaust show a joint and seam just toward the engine, mine is one-piece factory welded from cat to the turbo - and it will be a nightmare to drop.

Think mine runs too well to be plugged.

Even if I had a sawzall blade to cut the stainless I'm not sure how I'd get it welded back.

Yeah - broomstick method might work.

Let me know if you do something.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 29 2021, 11:19 AM) *

I had not even thought about my catalyst, but it makes sense. A cat bypass on 944 turbos is one of the first upgrades people recommend. Given crap I have seen out my exhaust im sure my cat is blown/plugged anyways.

Wondering if we could just drop the exhaust and use the broomstick method to hallow it out? It looks like one end of the pipe is a straight shot to/through the cat.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-924-turb...r-p-479513.aspx

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 28 2021, 07:03 PM) *

James -

GN

Gatornapper
For all 931 lovers & owners - GREAT RECENT ARTICLE from UK on this rare and exceptional car:

https://classicsworld.co.uk/cars/porsche-924-road-test/

VERY interesting quote from it re: steering

One pleasant side effect in this particular example is the far lighter steering than you would expect; a combination of those longer steering arms reducing gearing and the larger non Lux steering wheel, but this is not common to true UK spec 924 Turbos. The steering in those should still feel lighter than a naturally aspirated Lux owing to the gearing, though by less of a margin. We found this car perfectly communicative – while Motor would have preferred more direct gearing in period, we didn’t push David’s beautiful example hard enough to appreciate the benefit for which they might have hoped.

GN
Gatornapper
Registered car yesterday and got Antique vanity plates:

924TURB

7-digit max. Will be a couple weeks before I get them - will post pic then.

Or, should I have gotten "924TRBO" ????????

For $60, I can get it. I like both.

GN
JamesM
Interesting. I will have to take a look at mine. it has been a while.

There is a 924 Turbo/carerra GT group on facebook that seems to be a lot more active than the 924 board. Saw someone selling a complete turbo exhaust on there recently. May want to check it out.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 29 2021, 06:14 PM) *

James -

While the original Porsche part diagram of the exhaust show a joint and seam just toward the engine, mine is one-piece factory welded from cat to the turbo - and it will be a nightmare to drop.

Even if I had a sawzall blade to cut the stainless I'm not sure how I'd get it welded back.

GN

Gatornapper
James -

Thanks. I quit FB about 5 years ago. Too bad. Sounds like a group that could be a benefit for sure. And for sure FB Marketplace is the place now to buy and sell stuff.

Used to think FB was neutral and ok. But now I truly think it is evil the way it is a form of mind-control over the naive and ignorant and a propoganda machine that too often silences truth.

Can't go there again.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 30 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Interesting. I will have to take a look at mine. it has been a while.

There is a 924 Turbo/carerra GT group on facebook that seems to be a lot more active than the 924 board. Saw someone selling a complete turbo exhaust on there recently. May want to check it out.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 29 2021, 06:14 PM) *

James -

GN

Gatornapper
Found steering problem is in the whole steering system - still there when car on lift and tires off ground. Upper bushings shot, as may be shocks. Whole upper bushing washer and shock piston turn with wheels, sounding like rubber being dragged.

Later a member on 924board nailed it before I could post about it.

We pulled the shocks then re-installed, and that improved things somewhat, but shafts of shocks and top washer on top bushing still turning with wheels. Never seen this before.

Will put in Koni's and new bushings soon.

GN
Gatornapper
Ok, ordered and on the way: new front Koni Sport shocks, bushings; new front rotors.

Removing (a nightmare on Turbo) the WUV/WUR to do a rebuild on it. Engine starts great but won't run properly until a little warmed up - couple minutes...typical of WUV problem.

EVERYTHING on the car works but 2 things: passenger door power window switch will go up but not down; electric cooling fan #2 doesn't come on when engine gets hot. All else works, including power mirrors. Yay! Oh - Odometer dead - gotta rebuild that too.

With no heat in shop/garage, hard finding times when it's warm enough to work out there - 45 is about my minimum.

GN
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jan 5 2022, 05:56 PM) *

With no heat in shop/garage, hard finding times when it's warm enough to work out there - 45 is about my minimum.
GN

Thats the truth! 10+ years ago I'd be in the garage so long as the snow didn't squeak when I stepped on it (about 14degrees). These days I need more heat to stay motivated.

My VW Westy project hasn't been touched since deer season started, and probably won't until about march

Zach
Gatornapper
Update on 931 resto........

Steering now fine, lubed all and turned lock-to-lock on lift about 30 times. Koni's not in yet, but soon.

Engine running perfectly now! Started quickly but would quit. Would not stay running until started 6 or more times, then very rough until warmed up. Once warmed up it ran great.

Warm Up Regulator was stuck closed. WUR sends rich fuel mixture to engine when cold, gradually leans out mixture as engine warms up.

Problem with WUR is getting to it - almost impossible. MOST DIFFICULT engine component to remove/install in my whole 60 years of wrenching!

I came up with an unknown method to un-stick the WUR, but then it went from stuck closed (engine won’t run till warm) to stuck open (engine overheats from running too lean). So I had to remove it and rebuild it.

A bench rebuild of the unit was easy - tons of experience with more complex devices - but tolerances in this device far more tiny than anything I’ve ever worked on. I read an expert say most WUR’s just need cleaning, not a rebuild kit, so I did that, and while I have a $90 rebuild kit on the way from Germany (only ones are in Germany and Australia), I didn’t need it. Rebuilt it in an hour - easy.

Removing the small unit took over 3 hours. Re-installing it took 4 to 5 hours. PAINFUL hours.

Finally got it installed yesterday afternoon, and VOILA! Engine starts cold and runs smoothly just like it did when new! Not touching accelerator pedal.

If you are interested in the details, read here til the end of the thread……….

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=45...sc&start=30

If you want to see what WUR looks like, and how to do a rebuild, watch this - but fast forward to the middle…….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsnF2RlEqw

Took her for a 45 min spin in the area twisties late yesterday and car runs and handles great - not at all like a 914, but very neutral steering, no roll. Feeling the turbo kick in is a hoot - wish the 914 had that!

Still loving this car…….

GN
dstudeba
Great to hear, congrats!

I keep looking at 931s and found a nice two tone one that fits the bill but in the meantime I took on a 914 project so I will still just be an observer for a while.
Gatornapper
RickB45 (here) is a close friend, and when we drove to Cleveland to pick up my 931, he picked up a mint '85 944 in Detroit and drove it home. Rick also has a stunning almost Concours '72 914, a beautiful customized 997.1 and a '90 FiberFab 356 Replica he has put together. And now a 944 whose 2 PO's were Porsche mechanics who pretty much made the car new mechanically. Oh, he has owned air-cooled 911's and an '11 Cayman in the past. Addicted? Yeah.

We have been talking about taking his 944 and my 931 out to thrash them together, then swap cars, do it again, and then compare. Yesterday we did it! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif

Me in 931 driving.gif Rick in 944 driving.gif

The 931 has been consistently running so well, starting instantly no matter what the temp, maintaining great engine temps and oil pressure, so I felt it's time to let her rip.
We did a 924T vs 944 challenge. Most roads where I live are super twisty.

We took both cars out on my choice of super twisty roads. I pushed the 931 like I’ve never pushed it.

So yesterday I floored it repeatedly. I thrashed it in the turns. I cut it loose.

Rick tried to keep up staying close behind me in the 944. I’d pull away from him in the straights. He’d catch me in the turns.

Then - we switched cars. I still in the lead - but in the 944. Fun all over again. Same story, different drivers.

Main problem is in the 931…….the ancient tires. They are 20 years old and as I'm having to put 4 new tires on my '11 Cayman S this month, they will have to do for a while. They seriously hindered the handling. I also have new Koni Sport shocks going in the front of the 931 & new strut bushings too. Those will radically change the 931 handling.

But the best news of the day was with Rick in front of medriving the 931, me following him. So WHAT is the GOOD NEWS?

No matter how hard Rick drove it, accelerated, wound it out - no a hint of smoke of any color out the tailpipe!

THAT MEANS THE INTERNALS OF THE ENGINE ARE IN GREAT SHAPE! No problems with rings, valve seals, etc. I WAS OVERJOYED!

Now that Audi 4-banger is known for being bulletproof, rock-solid, built like a tank. So I’m not surprised. But I am so glad to know how solid the engine is.

Now I know or sure I got a dgreat deal on the 931. Not a super-good deal - $4k or less would have been a good deal - but I got a decent deal.

For which I am grateful.

Very soon this car will be my daily driver and I can give my Cayman S (just turned 96,000 miles today) a break!

Oh - bottom line - the 931 will out-accelerate the 944, but does not handle the turns as well. But the 944 has much larger new tires, much wider stance/track, and has a lot of new suspension parts. On hard turns, the 944 stays very much in control, while the 931 leaves you feeling it’s not quite sure - not as certain, not as nimble. It's handling is still very neutral. But so different from both the 914 and the Cayman S.

Much of that will change with new tires and Koni’s. How much? We will see. I can hardly wait.

Loving this 924 Turbo!

GN
Gatornapper
Ok, a way-overdue fill-in on what happened from this last post above to 9/17/22, and then to 9/30/22.

New tires on the 931 helped a lot.

But something happened in my driving Rick's 944 after driving my 931 on multiple occasions:

I fell in love with the 944.

The refinements between the two cars are huge - a long list. Power steering just being one. Transmission and shift pattern being another. Much better handling too.

I got the 931 90% restored and changed my plan for the car: I'm gonna see if I can get good $$$ selling it, and if I do, look for a 951 or S2 (rare - especially for my budget).

Wow. Lots of folk wanted my sweet 931. In fact, I sold it TWICE! Had contract and deposit from first guy, but he later changed his mind, lost his deposit. Next buyer took delivery near the NC line on 9/17.

I decided I didn't want a project car, but a daily driver so I could give my Cayman S a break. After 9 years of frequent use, she broke the 100k mile barrier - and needs a rest and become a weekly driver.

I do in-depth research on all old-car purchases (finding mechanics and earlier owners) and drove 951 sellers crazy with my questions - one in NYC (of course) even said, "FU". I was ready to pull the trigger on a really nice 951 that needed nothing in Albany, NY with 83k miles on it being sold by Porsche/BMW shop for client when Rick sent me an ad for this incredible, all-original '87 944S that needed almost nothing, owned for 19 years by seller, with all maintenance records back to 1993.

The rest of the story is posted here on a new thread.

GN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.