Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ADDED 924 Turbo to stable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Chris H.
Sounds like it'll work out! You can definitely keep posting about your new 931 in this thread or start a new build/resto thread. Many have non-914 threads. I had a Vanagon one going for a while...
Gatornapper
Thanks Chris!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 07:01 AM) *

Sounds like it'll work out! You can definitely keep posting about your new 931 in this thread or start a new build/resto thread. Many have non-914 threads. I had a Vanagon one going for a while...

JamesM
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 05:01 AM) *

I have both a Vanagon and a 931.

Fun fact, they share some of the same parts.
Root_Werks
popcorn[1].gif

Keep us posted! If this works out, it'll be a score.
Gatornapper
Having restored a 914, and knowing the VW history of the 924, no surprise there.

I know the gas cap is VW - and many other parts as well.

GN

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 29 2021, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 29 2021, 05:01 AM) *

I have both a Vanagon and a 931.

Fun fact, they share some of the same parts.

Gatornapper
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Well guys! It happened! Picked up the sweet 924 Turbo in Cleveland early this am and brought it home tonight - long drive my self, because we picked up Rick's incredible '85 944 in Detroit last night and he drove it home after helping me load the 924.

IPB Image

Happy with what I bought - now have my work cut out for me. Very pleased with condition of car for my money.

First new timing belt, idler pulley, other belt. Then completely renew fuel system - lines to injectors are shot. Lots of work there.

Once I get it running, all new fluids.

Will be a slow project as I can get to it and no urgency - will be a little at at time as I always have 100 projects going on at the same time. At 76, one has to stay busy!

GN

PS: Rick's sweet 944 next......

I'll keep you all posted.
wonkipop
well done mate. beerchug.gif
mb911
Awesome.. can't wait to see the progress..
Gatornapper
Will be a slow project, other things going on.

Once engine is running well first thing I'll do is install the M471 package that is found on almost all 1980 931's - this one is actually a 1979 made in June of '79, tho indeed recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model and was sold new in May of 1980, is titled as a 1980.

"The M471 package came with 5-bolt hubs, Turbo 4-wheel disc brakes, 15″ ATS mesh wheels, Koni sport shocks, Euro Turbo 23/14mm sway bars, and the Turbo rear spoiler. Early models also came with a special “S” decal on the hood. "

There is actually a 1980 parts car on FB Marketplace in Richmond with the M471 pkg, but the owner will not respond to messages about the ad for some reason. And wants $2k for a parts car that has been sitting outdoors for 10 years.

Since I know what the parts are, might be easier to add them individually. Wheels like car has now but 5-lug may be difficult to find. Hello eBay.

Will keep you posted.

GN
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 6 2021, 05:45 AM) *

Will be a slow project, other things going on.

Once engine is running well first thing I'll do is install the M471 package that is found on almost all 1980 931's - this one is actually a 1979 made in June of '79, tho indeed recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model and was sold new in May of 1980, is titled as a 1980.

"The M471 package came with 5-bolt hubs, Turbo 4-wheel disc brakes, 15″ ATS mesh wheels, Koni sport shocks, Euro Turbo 23/14mm sway bars, and the Turbo rear spoiler. Early models also came with a special “S” decal on the hood. "

There is actually a 1980 parts car on FB Marketplace in Richmond with the M471 pkg, but the owner will not respond to messages about the ad for some reason. And wants $2k for a parts car that has been sitting outdoors for 10 years.

Since I know what the parts are, might be easier to add them individually. Wheels like car has now but 5-lug may be difficult to find. Hello eBay.

Will keep you posted.

GN

My dad had that package on his 80 924 turbo.. might have been an 81 been a long time
Tdskip
Congratulations
Maltese Falcon
@gatornapper Anthoni (924 guru) over in Oregon says hi, he's one of our header (924 n/a) customer's ; says that you found a decent 931 ! He uses our n/a race header on a modified 931 cyl head. biggrin.gif
Gatornapper
Ben -

Ah-ha! you got your Porsche genes when you were born...... beerchug.gif

You had no choice!

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2021, 10:32 AM) *

My dad had that package on his 80 924 turbo.. might have been an 81 been a long time

GBX0073
Wow looks even better on YOUR Trailer taking it Home
I can feel the excitement
Cant Help but feel Thankful for you
Sums up the Joy's in Life
Thank you for Sharing
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 7 2021, 05:42 AM) *

Ben -

Ah-ha! you got your Porsche genes when you were born...... beerchug.gif

You had no choice!

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Yup dad had 3 356s 2 912s 1 931 and then a bunch of MGs and triumphs
Gatornapper
Thanks Skip.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 6 2021, 02:38 PM) *

Congratulations

Gatornapper
Falcon -

Anthoni has been helping me a lot on the 924 forum. Great guy.

Once car is running well and on road, I'll be looking for some mods to improve HP/Torque, but doubt that headers will be on that list due to $$$.

Want to keep car fairly stock but add M471 pkg. items.

Thanks!

Only problem is this being one of the best car forums on the planet, I'm spoiled by all the great help here.

Only 3 or 4 have stepped up on the 924 board, Anthoni being one. Another, Cedric, in Sweden had ALL original Porsche Shop Manuals in ENGLISH for download! The guys that have jumped in to help all race their cars I think.......what a great resource.

Wish I had the same for my 914.......

GN

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 6 2021, 03:22 PM) *

@gatornapper Anthoni (924 guru) over in Oregon says hi, he's one of our header (924 n/a) customer's ; says that you found a decent 931 ! He uses our n/a race header on a modified 931 cyl head. biggrin.gif

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 7 2021, 04:39 PM) *

Falcon -

Once car is running well and on road, I'll be looking for some mods to improve HP/Torque, but doubt that headers will be on that list due to $$$.

Thanks!

Only problem is this being one of the best car forums on the planet, I'm spoiled by all the great help here.

Only 3 or 4 have stepped up on the 924 board, Anthoni being one. Another, Cedric, in Sweden had ALL original Porsche Shop Manuals in ENGLISH for download! The guys that have jumped in to help all race their cars I think.......what a great resource.

GN

M471 option list for the 924 Turbo does sound intriguing ! Please list the goodies when you can / or pM me on message board .
Gatornapper
M471 group:

"At an early point in the production it was decided that the car's power required improvement in other areas. So, the 931 “....was built with a limited-slip differential, leather upholstery, air conditioning, power windows, a lift-out sunroof and the coveted M471 "S" Sport Group Package, which included four-wheel internally ventilated disc brakes on five-bolt hubs, mounting forged 16 x 6-inch 928-style alloys (up from cast 15 x 6s). Also included were upgraded springs and Koni shocks, 23mm front and 14mm rear anti-roll bars, a different steering ratio and a leather-wrapped 911SC steering wheel.”

My car has leather front seats and leather-wrapped 911SC steering wheel. Haven't measured sway bars yet.

Local junk car had all this, but sold. Sat outdoors for 10 years. Looking for parts car with this package - and almost ALL 1980 931's had it. Mine is extra rare in that it did not...mine manufactured in 6/79, so in many ways it was a '79 model, but was sold on 5/26/80 and recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model.

GN

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 7 2021, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 7 2021, 04:39 PM) *

Falcon -

Thanks!

GN

M471 option list for the 924 Turbo does sound intriguing ! Please list the goodies when you can / or pM me on message board .
Gatornapper
Just digging into car today. More good news.

Front sway bar is 23mm and rear is 14mm. Another item to check off list that is not needed. Now wondering if it also has upgraded springs and Koni shocks.......

Car does also have leather front seats in very good condition and leather-wrapped steering wheel. When I get it on the lift I'll check steering ratio to see which it is, but that is not a big deal to me. Limited slip diff? Now that would be huge!

Also has A/C, power windows, a lift-out sunroof.

GN
JamesM
924 turbos are rare to being with, but yeah, most if not all 1980 models I have seen did have the M471 package, mine does. Seen the 4 bolt setup a lot more on the 79s, perhaps you have a late 79 production 80 model year car? Hard to say, These cars went though so many mid year production changes with limited production numbers across a 3 year period its hard to say what is "normal"

Is your car missing rear seatbelts?

If I recall, one advantage to having the 4 bolt setup is that you are dealing with cheaper VW parts, where as the M471 package parts have porsche PNs (911 SC brake bits if i recall correctly)

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 8 2021, 08:16 AM) *

M471 group:

"At an early point in the production it was decided that the car's power required improvement in other areas. So, the 931 “....was built with a limited-slip differential, leather upholstery, air conditioning, power windows, a lift-out sunroof and the coveted M471 "S" Sport Group Package, which included four-wheel internally ventilated disc brakes on five-bolt hubs, mounting forged 16 x 6-inch 928-style alloys (up from cast 15 x 6s). Also included were upgraded springs and Koni shocks, 23mm front and 14mm rear anti-roll bars, a different steering ratio and a leather-wrapped 911SC steering wheel.”

My car has leather front seats and leather-wrapped 911SC steering wheel. Haven't measured sway bars yet.

Local junk car had all this, but sold. Sat outdoors for 10 years. Looking for parts car with this package - and almost ALL 1980 931's had it. Mine is extra rare in that it did not...mine manufactured in 6/79, so in many ways it was a '79 model, but was sold on 5/26/80 and recorded by Porsche as a 1980 model.

GN

EDIT: Just read your early post stating a 6/79 production date... guessing that's why its 4 bolt
Maltese Falcon
That's one nice M471 upgrade list @Gatornapper , thanks for digging it up ! This is the 937 (924gtr #0008) that we recently sold. The 2 car (sale package) came with this car and the Sonauto #40 LeMans car. We were only after the 9146...so had a good offer on the GTR, but broke my heart to see her go sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
Cannot believe you let that very rare and priceless car go! Had to be for a small fortune!

I can only admire from a distance.....with great respect..........

GN

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 8 2021, 03:59 PM) *

That's one nice M471 upgrade list @Gatornapper , thanks for digging it up ! This is the 937 (924gtr #0008) that we recently sold. The 2 car (sale package) came with this car and the Sonauto #40 LeMans car. We were only after the 9146...so had a good offer on the GTR, but broke my heart to see her go sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Gatornapper
James -

Yes, build date of 6/79, but registered by Porsche as 1980 model and put in service/sold on 5/25/1980.

Delighted to find today that my sway bars are indeed 23mm & 14mm.

And yes, think rear seats have no seat belts.

Spoke to another Porsche 931 expert today who said the front brakes are the same on 4-bolt and 5-bolt, but are single piston calipers and to convert to 2-piston 944 calipers.

I don't mind cost of rear disc brakes. Car needs them. Finding them will be a challenge. May go for 944 parts there as well.

GN

[quote name='JamesM' date='Nov 8 2021, 02:46 PM' post='2958546']
924 turbos are rare to being with, but yeah, most if not all 1980 models I have seen did have the M471 package, mine does. Seen the 4 bolt setup a lot more on the 79s, perhaps you have a late 79 production 80 model year car? Hard to say, These cars went though so many mid year production changes with limited production numbers across a 3 year period its hard to say what is "normal"

Is your car missing rear seatbelts?

If I recall, one advantage to having the 4 bolt setup is that you are dealing with cheaper VW parts, where as the M471 package parts have porsche PNs (911 SC brake bits if i recall correctly)

Maltese Falcon
These GTRs' were Turbo/ MFI, and on decel the rich fuel mixture threw a decent flame under the drivers door biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
nice. (flame and GTR).

---

got me curious enough to check out 924s for sale in aus.
usually just beaters.
suddenly there are two turbos for sale.

one of them looks to be outstanding. a uk car that has come in.
that makes 924 turbos officially an international market car?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/19...D-6154479/?Cr=0
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 8 2021, 07:44 PM) *

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

Michael,
that's a pristine 924 turbo for sale, dealer service records, once owned by Peter John Vetesse...keyboard musician with Jethro Tull ; good looking deal !
JamesM

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

What you have there appears to be a 932... for sure don't see those everyday.
JamesM
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 8 2021, 02:44 PM) *

Spoke to another Porsche 931 expert today who said the front brakes are the same on 4-bolt and 5-bolt, but are single piston calipers and to convert to 2-piston 944 calipers.

I don't mind cost of rear disc brakes. Car needs them. Finding them will be a challenge. May go for 944 parts there as well.

GN

Wow, so this is pretty interesting, just browsing through the 1979 924 PET

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi..._79_KATALOG.pdf

Indeed the rear setup has 944 part numbers. Interesting in that the 944 didnt go into production until 1982. I would think those are going to be really easy to come by given how many 944s were trashed.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 9 2021, 01:02 AM) *

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

Michael,
that's a pristine 924 turbo for sale, dealer service records, once owned by Peter John Vetesse...keyboard musician with Jethro Tull ; good looking deal !

yes i kind of figured that marty.
but i don't have the spare 40 odd K. (which is actually a bargain no?).
its funny what turns up here in australia sometimes.
i think it might be one of the best 924 turbos left in the world?
but what can i do.
i blame gatornapper for throwing me off course.
i'm just going to have to stop the distraction.
someone will get hold of that car and look after it.

i do like 924s. i drove a dumbo na one years ago.
they are pretty good cranked out to 95-100mph on a straight stretch of Western Australian highway heading north of perth going up and down over gentle sand dune undulations on a ribbon of narrow bitumen. one of those memories driving thats stuck in my head.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 9 2021, 01:49 AM) *

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

stop - don't wind me up.
i've got my hands full.
Gatornapper
Wonki -

Now I'm really puzzled. "932" ?????? Never have seen that anywhere.

With a build date of 6/79 it is one very early Turbo, barely an '80 model. All I've read says it is a 931.

What is 932 and where can I find that?

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 9 2021, 04:43 AM) *

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

stop - don't wind me up.
i've got my hands full.

mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 9 2021, 03:33 PM) *

Wonki -

With a build date of 6/79 it is one very early Turbo, barely an '80 model. All I've read says it is a 931.

Thanks!

GN

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

stop - don't wind me up.
i've got my hands full.

I am thinking he is messing with you. Attached is images of a 932Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 9 2021, 05:33 PM) *

Wonki -

Thanks!

GN

nice. (flame and GTR).

---

usually just beaters.

stop - don't wind me up.
i've got my hands full.

gator - JamesM is referring to the right hand drive model no. for the turbo.
LHD = 931. RHD = 932. a lot less RHD cars than LHD?

the main point i suppose is its uk spec = euro spec.
note the 5 bolts.
not a despeced engine as initial usa turbos were.

i'm not sure but i don't think these came to australia early on.
don't know enough.
but that one is a uk car that has been privately imported here under the 25 year rule more recently. it will probably go back to the UK?
might be a post covid lockdown "forced" sale.
there is a lot of career change going on and the country is opening up again so folks that want to get out are getting out and heading for europe for work and jobs.
i've noticed a few things popping out of the woodwork all of a sudden.

@mb911 - James M is not messing - not as far as i know.
though your illustration of a concept 932 is interesting.
sometimes these numbers were internal designations and got used twice.
but i have heard of the 932 in reference to the turbo.
certainly i might be how they designated it in the parts book.
odd number as last number of first three number code usually meant the LHD version.
even number meant RHD. very definitely when it came to VW.
lets not forget these were built in a VW factory out of the VW parts bin (at least for the 924).
wonkipop
i had a check of wiki.
just to see.
not that it is necessarily accurate but.....

wiki notes the 924 turbo was referred to as a 931.
rhd specific parts were designated with 932 prefix.

one of those cases where enthusiasts like to use the internal designations given to the models by porsche and then it slips into common use?
for instance i can't really remember anyone calling 924 turbos by the name 931 or 932 back in the 80s. they were just 924 turbos.
but 931 has come to be used?
maybe an american practice?

there would be a lot of parts specific to any RHD 924 given its front engine when compared to the older air cooled cars and using a different first three letter prefix was very definitely a VW practice. its not something you come across with 914s as there were no RHD cars. at most it might have been a part # for headlights for cars that went to the UK or Japan.
Gatornapper
Guys -

Found the same on 932 search. RHD.

I have determined mine is #201 of first 600 USA Turbos made - AND went to Puerto Rico. I think all the "Introductory Models" were Diamond Silver Metallic (L97A) on upper half, Dolomite Grey Metallic (LY7V) on the lower half, with Pasha interior.

Yes, these days the Porsche folk all refer to the 924 Turbo as the 931, as it was Porsche's internal number for the car.

In addition to stock, mine has the following Options: Right and left exterior power mirrors, removeable sunroof, 23mm & 14mm sway bars (like M471 Pkg), rear wiper, electric windows, and A/C. And Fog Lights that mounted below the bumper instead of in the bumper like the EUR cars.

I'm thinking of keeping the 15" ATS wheels and rear drum brakes as they were standard in the Introduction Models. One more part of its rarity.

What do you all think?

GN

GN
wonkipop
i hadn't realised the turbos are quite a small production no.
just over 13.5K cars total production.

drive it a bit and see what its like.

its a pretty subtle upgrade visually.
i take it you swap over to a 5 bolt version of virtually the same looking wheels?
and all the goodies are under the skin.

wonkipop
you got me going gator.

there is another one for sale here.
aus delivery.
half the $
i think it might be a better car.
i'm starting to get maybe half interested.

i've studied the uk car, its got all the docs etc/rock star owner.
but looking close its got fresh paint on the front half of the car.
had a hit and repair? somethings happened. paint tone is different and decal too.

this one looks half promising. again not your usual beater 924.
its in my state too, looks like its just up country somewhere.

might have to go have a look.

https://www.justcars.com.au/cars-for-sale/1...oupe/JCM5011179
mb911
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 9 2021, 11:17 PM) *

you got me going gator.

aus delivery.
half the $

had a hit and repair? somethings happened. paint tone is different and decal too.

I like that one.
wonkipop
@mb911

it does look clean but i think there is something funny.
don't know my 924s well enough to spot things straight away.

but its got US bumpers!

aus cars look like this. V
euro bumpers and also flank indicators on the front guards.

sounds crazy but it could be a US car that has been imported and converted to RHD.
which seems like a crazy thing to do - when they made them RHD.

still might be worth a look.

Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
Wow. Didn't mean to influence you!

Yes, those are US bumpers - and I much prefer the Euro ones and will be looking for one sometime. No idea how the US bumpers would get on a RHD car.

Never seen one priced that high. A sweet GT clone here in great running and looking condition just went for $11k.....but had 34 k miles.

Finding putting rear disc brakes & 5-lug hubs in easy - but the front is major and huge, needing the brake master cylinder and booster. And don't add anything significant to ust handling. As you said, I'll drive the car and see.

Keep us posted on what you do.

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 10 2021, 02:17 AM) *

you got me going gator.

aus delivery.
half the $

Gatornapper
Great 924 resource - actually great Porsche resource......

The whole story........

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/924/

GN
Gatornapper
Today I drove RickB45's '85 944 we picked up in Detroit Thursday on our road trip - what a gem he found. 123k miles, owned by Porsche mechanics with all new almost everything, and truly felt like a new car.

We trailered it from Detroit to Cleveland, and then he drove it home from there. He was so stunned with the car driving home he had to call me every 15 minutes (well - seemed like it) to describe how incredible the car is.

Only the 2nd 944 I've driven - other one was junk - this was so sweet - neutral handling was amazing. Ride and handling in hard, rough twisties was amazing too. Quantum leap by Porsche from '70's 914's to eighties 924's & 944's - they are truly like modern cars in every way.

Car came will all documentation and maintenance records since new!

Here tis:

IPB Image

GN
wonkipop
@Gatornapper .

don't forget 20K aud = 14.5K usd.
generally prices for porsches are lower in the USA than aus.
i think also the 924 turbo is a lot rarer in aus than in the USA - they tend to be worth a bit - i think - as most were/are well maintained.

bog ordinary 924s here have been driven into the ground.
most are beaters every bit as bad as a poor condition usa car.
i see them go for 1.5 - 2 K aud.

as to the other one with the asking price of 40+, well i guess its possibly an exceptional car.

if i get a bit of spare time and the 20K car doesn't sell in the meantime, i might just go take a look at it as i am curious about what it is. be strange if someone has converted a USA turbo to RHD. but a lot of 911s did come in during the late 80s and 90s and were converted to RHD so its possible that is the story with the 924 turbo. one thing its got going for it is the interior looks intact. most 924s exploded inside because of the sun down here.

i did miss out on a 924S a little while back. and my memory might be wrong but i think it ended up selling for 13K which i think was a bargain. but it was a uk car so it might have been dodgy under the make-up?

have fun.
Gatornapper
Wonki -

I cannot imaging the cost of converting a LHD car to RHD. Hard to believe. Very strange about bumper.

Seems like a super-clean car and worth checking out. A drive in it should settle a decision.......I myself have never driven any 924, let alone a Turbo. But then I had never driven a 914 before buying mine, and when I got it on the road, had to be one of the most pleasant and joyful surprises of my life! And not only was the 914 a joy to drive, it is extremely comfortable and great ride on highways at 70+ mph.....as all 914'ers know.

Will the 924 be such a surprise? I doubt it. But I know I'll like it if at all like my friend Rick's 944.

924 Turbos are indeed very rare here. I've never seen one nor have my Porsche friends. But seems I've infected others as well as you - for some are now looking. I hope they don't find. I got mine a lot because of its rarity - and would like to be the only one in central Virginia......pretty selfish of me, huh? sunglasses.gif

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 11 2021, 02:35 AM) *

@Gatornapper .

don't forget 20K aud = 14.5K usd.
generally prices for porsches are lower in the USA than aus.
i think also the 924 turbo is a lot rarer in aus than in the USA - they tend to be worth a bit - i think - as most were/are well maintained.

bog ordinary 924s here have been driven into the ground.
most are beaters every bit as bad as a poor condition usa car.
i see them go for 1.5 - 2 K aud.

as to the other one with the asking price of 40+, well i guess its possibly an exceptional car.

if i get a bit of spare time and the 20K car doesn't sell in the meantime, i might just go take a look at it as i am curious about what it is. be strange if someone has converted a USA turbo to RHD. but a lot of 911s did come in during the late 80s and 90s and were converted to RHD so its possible that is the story with the 924 turbo. one thing its got going for it is the interior looks intact. most 924s exploded inside because of the sun down here.

i did miss out on a 924S a little while back. and my memory might be wrong but i think it ended up selling for 13K which i think was a bargain. but it was a uk car so it might have been dodgy under the make-up?

have fun.

wonkipop
@Gatornapper .

converting cars to RHD from LHD is something that used to be well established in aus since the 1950s.

even the major car manufacturers did it.
i believe the first batch of mustangs sent to aus in the 1960s were subcontracted out by ford to a local specialist in sydney. the cars were sold with full warranty by ford.

holden also did it with the big chevs. which were sourced from canada. the components were made by GM canada including a right hand drive dashboard. but the cars were assembled in final form down here.

there were specialist guys everywhere that converted other USA models on an import basis.

converting a 911 to RHD is not that hard apparently. very straightforward.

the difference in price for a second hand 911 sourced in the USA during the 1980s and 1990s justified the cost of conversion. it worked out cheaper than buying one here at that time, even second hand. 911s have generally held on to high values here.
stratospheric now.

914s are another story. more difficult conversion as it required extensive mods to front firewall/fuel tank and basically a hand made dash. there were moulds in fibreglass floating around.

a mate of mine has a speedster that was exported here some time in the late 1970s and is converted to RHD. people did that because there were not many speedsters here and they were hard to find. so you went to the USA and got one, because thats where most of them were. probably nearly the entire population of speedsters resided in one state, california.

a 924 would be entirely doable. as there were RHD parts to source including the dash etc.

if the conversion was done by a reputable shop it would be a good job.

i'll take a look at it if its still around when i get some time.

as to driving a 924. i used to go out with a chick who had one in WA.
it was an N A model. not much fun around town as the engine really is a bit lack lustre. but out on the open road and wound up it was a whole other thing. just as balanced as a 914, maybe even more. certainly it did not suffer from high speed nose lift like the 914. when i lived in WA back then you got plenty of opportunities to drive as fast as you wanted on wide open empty roads, no other traffic. i discovered the 914 started lifting the nose at around 95mph. 924 just stayed planted all the way well past a 100mph. think we might have pegged out at about 110 mph. it took a while to get there but once you got it up there it would have sat at that speed all day long.

it might be why you have got me interested again as i am remembering the car.

trouble is there really is nowhere in my state these days you can drive at that speed.
if you got caught they would burn your license, throw you in jail and crush the car.

the only thing i remember about 924s that is a negative is they developed a lot of rattles in the body work. especially the tailgates etc. owners complained a lot about it back in the day here. porsches were not supposed to rattle.

i also remember the steering wheel. it was a real crush to get you legs in under it.
and it spun concentrically, a sort of planetary motion. when you were parking the car the wheel would dig into your legs.
Gatornapper
Wonki -

Lotsa priceless info in your post. Thank you. Never had my 914 over 80 so I know nothing of its problems at speed - my love of the car is in the twisties that are predominant where I live below 55mph. For anything above 55, that's where my '11 Cayman S shines!

I can't wait to get my 931 on the road. Drove my friend RickB45's new-to-him 85 944 yesterday and loved its neutral handling, great ride, great shifting - everything. Not sure how an '80 931 will compare. I do know my 931 has the large 23mm front and 14mm rear sway bars - so I'm looking forward to that. I doubt the 944 has such large sway bars.

Got the car on my lift today and all looks great underneath. Owner had car undercoated in mid-80's. I am very pleased.

While the 944 yesterday handled great in the curves, it wasn't quite as flat as my 914 - which doesn't have sway bars! Yet!.... that is! That was one of my winter projects that will now wait on how well the 931 is doing.

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 11 2021, 06:16 PM) *

@Gatornapper .

converting cars to RHD from LHD is something that used to be well established in aus since the 1950s.

even the major car manufacturers did it.
i believe the first batch of mustangs sent to aus in the 1960s were subcontracted out by ford to a local specialist in sydney. the cars were sold with full warranty by ford.

holden also did it with the big chevs. which were sourced from canada. the components were made by GM canada including a right hand drive dashboard. but the cars were assembled in final form down here.

there were specialist guys everywhere that converted other USA models on an import basis.

converting a 911 to RHD is not that hard apparently. very straightforward.

the difference in price for a second hand 911 sourced in the USA during the 1980s and 1990s justified the cost of conversion. it worked out cheaper than buying one here at that time, even second hand. 911s have generally held on to high values here.
stratospheric now.

914s are another story. more difficult conversion as it required extensive mods to front firewall/fuel tank and basically a hand made dash. there were moulds in fibreglass floating around.

a mate of mine has a speedster that was exported here some time in the late 1970s and is converted to RHD. people did that because there were not many speedsters here and they were hard to find. so you went to the USA and got one, because thats where most of them were. probably nearly the entire population of speedsters resided in one state, california.

a 924 would be entirely doable. as there were RHD parts to source including the dash etc.

if the conversion was done by a reputable shop it would be a good job.

i'll take a look at it if its still around when i get some time.

as to driving a 924. i used to go out with a chick who had one in WA.
it was an N A model. not much fun around town as the engine really is a bit lack lustre. but out on the open road and wound up it was a whole other thing. just as balanced as a 914, maybe even more. certainly it did not suffer from high speed nose lift like the 914. when i lived in WA back then you got plenty of opportunities to drive as fast as you wanted on wide open empty roads, no other traffic. i discovered the 914 started lifting the nose at around 95mph. 924 just stayed planted all the way well past a 100mph. think we might have pegged out at about 110 mph. it took a while to get there but once you got it up there it would have sat at that speed all day long.

it might be why you have got me interested again as i am remembering the car.

trouble is there really is nowhere in my state these days you can drive at that speed.
if you got caught they would burn your license, throw you in jail and crush the car.

the only thing i remember about 924s that is a negative is they developed a lot of rattles in the body work. especially the tailgates etc. owners complained a lot about it back in the day here. porsches were not supposed to rattle.

i also remember the steering wheel. it was a real crush to get you legs in under it.
and it spun concentrically, a sort of planetary motion. when you were parking the car the wheel would dig into your legs.

wonkipop
i'm a bit mellower with age than i used to be.

doubt i could find anywhere these days to wind out the 914. it takes so long to get it up to the ton that you are bound to run into trouble with the law or run out of road. its only a 1.8

i managed to squeeze it up to just a tad over 80 mph back in march on a country run on a bit of empty road where i could see any cops hiding behind trees or speed cameras in the back of parked SUVs on the side of the road. also no other traffic to endanger. no float at that speed which it gets too with minimal fuss. starts to hit the wall somewhere just north of that and takes forever to get to so called top speed. fastest i ever got it to was just over the ton in WA back in the 90s. but it was floating around and i wasn't feeling it with a grin.
might have had something to do with the half shot boges that were still on it then.

Gatornapper
Yeah, age does mellow us. I'm 76 but still go 100mph all day every day.

Well, maybe 90 now.....but I do collapse and pass out once about every month......get up and go at it again.....but hey! At doc visit yesterday morning my BP was 120/78!

Not bad for an overweight (but former runner til I was 69) guy who had open heart surgery 12 years ago with a triple bypass and aortic valve replacement.........

GN

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 11 2021, 10:08 PM) *

i'm a bit mellower with age than i used to be.

doubt i could find anywhere these days to wind out the 914. it takes so long to get it up to the ton that you are bound to run into trouble with the law or run out of road. its only a 1.8

i managed to squeeze it up to just a tad over 80 mph back in march on a country run on a bit of empty road where i could see any cops hiding behind trees or speed cameras in the back of parked SUVs on the side of the road. also no other traffic to endanger. no float at that speed which it gets too with minimal fuss. starts to hit the wall somewhere just north of that and takes forever to get to so called top speed. fastest i ever got it to was just over the ton in WA back in the 90s. but it was floating around and i wasn't feeling it with a grin.
might have had something to do with the half shot boges that were still on it then.

sixnotfour
84-85 ,,I would buy em for the Fuchs $750 , Sell em, Pic n Pull $650 no wheels.. yr 2009
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.