Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
Tom1394racing
post Feb 14 2022, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,039
Region Association: North East States

After having enjoyed several 911’s over the past 40 years, I decided about a year ago that my next project would be a 914-6 GT Tribute car. I had been thinking for some time about a mid-engine open car but the Boxster is just not my cup of tea. I am more of a 70’s air cooled hot rod type and I love my ’73 Signal Orange 911 RSR tribute car. So a 914-6 GT seemed like an obvious choice. It ticked all my boxes and I have always admired the ‘70’s GT race cars.

My friends at Auto Associates in Canton, CT knew I was considering a 914-6 GT project so when a customer’s ’73 914 2.0 became available there last fall we put it up on their lift, took a close look and deemed it an acceptable starting point. The project plan is to follow the same process I have used on my RSR and my ‘70E restoration projects. I strip the car in my home shop, send the shell to Auto Associates for the metal work, chassis stiffening and paint. The painted shell comes back to me and I do the mechanical work and reassembly.

My plan is not to do a 100% accurate GT tribute but rather to build a car that looks, sounds and drives like a street friendly GT. I am not planning on any serious track or autocross but more of a fun spirited street hot rod. I know there is a ton of expertise and experience on this forum so I will be looking for some sage advice as I document the build in this thread. So here are my thoughts:

Exterior
GT flares front and rear. I will likely leave the decision of metal vs FG to Auto Associates. I would like the car to be as light as is practical. I have FG flares on my RSR and they have held up very well over the 15 years since the original restoration. I am also planning to do the lightweight, balsa reinforced front and rear trunk lids. I also would like to do the GT style double grill engine cover. Not sure if anyone makes these or if I will have Auto Associates fabricate one from my existing cover. I will go with the hood pins front and bungees rear for lid closure. Not sure whether to go with the motor operated headlights or if the cable operated system is reliable enough. I do not plan to do a lot of night driving. For wheels, I am thinking Minilites on the rear and Fuchs on the front. I also want to keep the removable top as open air driving is one of my key objectives. I am liking Mexico Blue for the color.

Interior
I plan to go with a 911 steering column and LHS 911 ignition switch as well as 911 turn signal, wiper switches and clamshell. I am also thinking of a reproduction 911 style hockey puck steering wheel. Door panels would be the GT style with strap operated pulls for door opening. I am also thinking of a pair of GTS Classic vintage seats perhaps the LeMans series. Gauges will mimic the GT type.

Drivetrain
I have a 3.0 L SC long block that I plan to use as a basis for power. I am thinking 9.5 CR with ModS type cams and a twin plug distributor. I am also toying with the idea of EFI. I am thinking 200-225 HP. I will stick with the 901 gearbox and the special 215 mm 9 bolt flywheel. I would use 911 output stubs, Sway Away free floating axles, and 911 stubs axles & hubs. I will use a front cooler and oil plumbing similar to the GT. Not sure which option to take with regard to the motor mounts.

Suspension
Other than 911 3.5” caliper spaced front struts, and 911 front hubs, I have not given the suspension much thought as yet. I do not want the car to be so stiff and jarring that it knocks my fillings out on the pothole strewn roads here in CT. That said, I also do not want the car to roll and lean like my stock ‘70E. I like the stock type of front and rear roll bars, maybe a little bigger than the stock size. I am thinking early 911S Aluminum calipers in the front. No sure about the rear calipers. I like the 15” Michelin TB’s for tires.

Chassis Stiffening
Like all 914’s this one is not rust free. After the rust repairs, I am planning to have Auto Associates install the chassis stiffening kits for the front torsion bar area, sills and rear suspension including the rear trailing arms. I am also planning on a weld-in roll bar with diagonals tied into the door sills that will allow for reasonably easy entry and exit. I want the chassis to be as stiff as possible yet still allow for the removable Targa roof.

Well…That is the current plan. I am very interested in suggestions and input from those of you who have been down this road before me. I plan to post progress with photos as I go forward and I look forward to all your comments.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Feb 15 2022, 02:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,488
Region Association: None

Some of us will be watching, think I want to do the very same, only I want a 916, best of luck...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 16 2022, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was thinking of the exact same thing....forgot, just did that. You are going to have so much fun, post lots of pictures often. Best, MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 16 2022, 02:20 PM
Post #4

Tom, a lot of people will want to see this build. Should have Admin move it to Garage. Mark
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 16 2022, 04:22 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 03:20 PM) *

Tom, a lot of people will want to see this build. Should have Admin move it to Garage. Mark

I'm kinda new here. How do I make that happen?
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 16 2022, 04:28 PM
Post #6

Sir Andy, can you change this to 914World Garage. Mark
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 16 2022, 04:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 02:57 PM) *

I was thinking of the exact same thing....forgot, just did that. You are going to have so much fun, post lots of pictures often. Best, MarkAttached Image

Wow...That's a beauty. I love Signal Orange.

Where did you get the double grill engine cover?
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Feb 16 2022, 10:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,488
Region Association: None

[quote name='Tom1...That's a beauty...[/quote]

+1
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Feb 17 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #9

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 16 2022, 02:43 PM) *

Where did you get the double grill engine cover?

A member here makes them:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332067

Or make your own:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=6167
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 22 2022, 11:04 AM
Post #10

Admin Edit: Duplicate post removed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 22 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Sir Andy, can you change this to 914World Garage. Mark

I did a copy and paste move to the Garage
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 22 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Please consider a stiffener kit for the longitudinals. The 914 flexes badly through the middle because of the open top.

Brad Mauyer makes a great kit that goes on the outside of the longitudinals. The original structure is a zig zag piece of steel on top of a flat piece of steel. The kit adds another layer on top of the zig zag, making it like corrugated cardboard. And we all know how stiff corrugated cardboard is.

I have that kit on my big six, and it is on the repaired chassis for Betty's car.

Also, there are some kits to re-enforce the front sway bar holes and the area around the rear shocks. Both are recommended kits for high horsepower cars.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 22 2022, 02:43 PM
Post #13

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like a nice build. Like Clay said, I think you might consider a chassis stiffening kit. I have the inner chassis stiffening kit that goes on the interior side of the longs and the firewall. It is invisible once the car is carpeted and in my opinion really stiffens the chassis. I chose not to reinforce the trailing arms because if I lose control and slid it into a curb, I would rather the trailing arm bend and not the chassis.

I think the front sway bar reinforcement is a must. I went with stock later 914 F&R sway bars as well as Bilstein shocks/struts and Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around. I have 140 pound rear springs. My car rides very nice and does not lean and even more importantly, does not squeak.

I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection, 964 cams, Steve Wong custom chip, large-tube SS heat exchangers and muffler. I am at around 240 HP running through a 901 with a side-shifter conversion. My car runs great and pulls strongly. Of course, with Ben's exhaust, it sounds terrific.

I know you are leaving it to the body shop re the flares.....personally, I would go with steel flares. The increase in value is well worth the extra cost. I love Mexico Blue and that will look great on a flared car.

Here is a picture of my steering wheel and gauges:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 22 2022, 02:59 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Let me know if I can help. I make a good amount if parts for these cars and conversions.
+Quote Post
jim dorociak
post Feb 22 2022, 03:48 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,966
Region Association: Southern California

I currently have the front 911 hubs/ new SC brake rotors and even SC calipers listed for sale. I have an early 911 steering column and a wiper switch available listed as well. Just a start for what you are looking for. Ben makes a great oil tank, bumper modification for oil cooler cut out, Hard GT oil lines to plumb cooler in the front nose. Jim. jdorociak@gmail.com
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 22 2022, 07:08 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2022, 12:30 PM) *

Please consider a stiffener kit for the longitudinals. The 914 flexes badly through the middle because of the open top.

Brad Mauyer makes a great kit that goes on the outside of the longitudinals. The original structure is a zig zag piece of steel on top of a flat piece of steel. The kit adds another layer on top of the zig zag, making it like corrugated cardboard. And we all know how stiff corrugated cardboard is.

I have that kit on my big six, and it is on the repaired chassis for Betty's car.

Also, there are some kits to re-enforce the front sway bar holes and the area around the rear shocks. Both are recommended kits for high horsepower cars.

I am considering the inner longitudinal stiffening kit, the 914 six GT stiffening kit, the box trailing arm kit and the front sway bar stiffening kit.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 22 2022, 07:10 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 22 2022, 03:59 PM) *

Let me know if I can help. I make a good amount if parts for these cars and conversions.

Hi Ben…I will be in touch
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Feb 22 2022, 07:12 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 22 2022, 03:43 PM) *

Sounds like a nice build. Like Clay said, I think you might consider a chassis stiffening kit. I have the inner chassis stiffening kit that goes on the interior side of the longs and the firewall. It is invisible once the car is carpeted and in my opinion really stiffens the chassis. I chose not to reinforce the trailing arms because if I lose control and slid it into a curb, I would rather the trailing arm bend and not the chassis.

I think the front sway bar reinforcement is a must. I went with stock later 914 F&R sway bars as well as Bilstein shocks/struts and Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around. I have 140 pound rear springs. My car rides very nice and does not lean and even more importantly, does not squeak.

I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection, 964 cams, Steve Wong custom chip, large-tube SS heat exchangers and muffler. I am at around 240 HP running through a 901 with a side-shifter conversion. My car runs great and pulls strongly. Of course, with Ben's exhaust, it sounds terrific.

I know you are leaving it to the body shop re the flares.....personally, I would go with steel flares. The increase in value is well worth the extra cost. I love Mexico Blue and that will look great on a flared car.

Here is a picture of my steering wheel and gauges:
Attached Image

Great looking dash. Original or repro wheel? Who did the gauges?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 22 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 14 2022, 11:04 AM) *
Well…That is the current plan.

That 916 front bumper does not look like any of the crappy aftermarket ones you usually see.

I'm intrigued ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
TRS63
post Feb 23 2022, 07:06 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 24,690
Region Association: Europe

Sounds like a great plan, looking forward to follow it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Antoine
+Quote Post

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:37 PM