Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tom1394racing
After having enjoyed several 911’s over the past 40 years, I decided about a year ago that my next project would be a 914-6 GT Tribute car. I had been thinking for some time about a mid-engine open car but the Boxster is just not my cup of tea. I am more of a 70’s air cooled hot rod type and I love my ’73 Signal Orange 911 RSR tribute car. So a 914-6 GT seemed like an obvious choice. It ticked all my boxes and I have always admired the ‘70’s GT race cars.

My friends at Auto Associates in Canton, CT knew I was considering a 914-6 GT project so when a customer’s ’73 914 2.0 became available there last fall we put it up on their lift, took a close look and deemed it an acceptable starting point. The project plan is to follow the same process I have used on my RSR and my ‘70E restoration projects. I strip the car in my home shop, send the shell to Auto Associates for the metal work, chassis stiffening and paint. The painted shell comes back to me and I do the mechanical work and reassembly.

My plan is not to do a 100% accurate GT tribute but rather to build a car that looks, sounds and drives like a street friendly GT. I am not planning on any serious track or autocross but more of a fun spirited street hot rod. I know there is a ton of expertise and experience on this forum so I will be looking for some sage advice as I document the build in this thread. So here are my thoughts:

Exterior
GT flares front and rear. I will likely leave the decision of metal vs FG to Auto Associates. I would like the car to be as light as is practical. I have FG flares on my RSR and they have held up very well over the 15 years since the original restoration. I am also planning to do the lightweight, balsa reinforced front and rear trunk lids. I also would like to do the GT style double grill engine cover. Not sure if anyone makes these or if I will have Auto Associates fabricate one from my existing cover. I will go with the hood pins front and bungees rear for lid closure. Not sure whether to go with the motor operated headlights or if the cable operated system is reliable enough. I do not plan to do a lot of night driving. For wheels, I am thinking Minilites on the rear and Fuchs on the front. I also want to keep the removable top as open air driving is one of my key objectives. I am liking Mexico Blue for the color.

Interior
I plan to go with a 911 steering column and LHS 911 ignition switch as well as 911 turn signal, wiper switches and clamshell. I am also thinking of a reproduction 911 style hockey puck steering wheel. Door panels would be the GT style with strap operated pulls for door opening. I am also thinking of a pair of GTS Classic vintage seats perhaps the LeMans series. Gauges will mimic the GT type.

Drivetrain
I have a 3.0 L SC long block that I plan to use as a basis for power. I am thinking 9.5 CR with ModS type cams and a twin plug distributor. I am also toying with the idea of EFI. I am thinking 200-225 HP. I will stick with the 901 gearbox and the special 215 mm 9 bolt flywheel. I would use 911 output stubs, Sway Away free floating axles, and 911 stubs axles & hubs. I will use a front cooler and oil plumbing similar to the GT. Not sure which option to take with regard to the motor mounts.

Suspension
Other than 911 3.5” caliper spaced front struts, and 911 front hubs, I have not given the suspension much thought as yet. I do not want the car to be so stiff and jarring that it knocks my fillings out on the pothole strewn roads here in CT. That said, I also do not want the car to roll and lean like my stock ‘70E. I like the stock type of front and rear roll bars, maybe a little bigger than the stock size. I am thinking early 911S Aluminum calipers in the front. No sure about the rear calipers. I like the 15” Michelin TB’s for tires.

Chassis Stiffening
Like all 914’s this one is not rust free. After the rust repairs, I am planning to have Auto Associates install the chassis stiffening kits for the front torsion bar area, sills and rear suspension including the rear trailing arms. I am also planning on a weld-in roll bar with diagonals tied into the door sills that will allow for reasonably easy entry and exit. I want the chassis to be as stiff as possible yet still allow for the removable Targa roof.

Well…That is the current plan. I am very interested in suggestions and input from those of you who have been down this road before me. I plan to post progress with photos as I go forward and I look forward to all your comments.Click to view attachment
BadToTheBown
Some of us will be watching, think I want to do the very same, only I want a 916, best of luck...
mlindner
I was thinking of the exact same thing....forgot, just did that. You are going to have so much fun, post lots of pictures often. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
mlindner
Tom, a lot of people will want to see this build. Should have Admin move it to Garage. Mark
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 03:20 PM) *

Tom, a lot of people will want to see this build. Should have Admin move it to Garage. Mark

I'm kinda new here. How do I make that happen?
mlindner
Sir Andy, can you change this to 914World Garage. Mark
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 02:57 PM) *

I was thinking of the exact same thing....forgot, just did that. You are going to have so much fun, post lots of pictures often. Best, MarkClick to view attachment

Wow...That's a beauty. I love Signal Orange.

Where did you get the double grill engine cover?
BadToTheBown
[quote name='Tom1...That's a beauty...[/quote]

+1
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 16 2022, 02:43 PM) *

Where did you get the double grill engine cover?

A member here makes them:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332067

Or make your own:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=6167
Tom1394racing

Admin Edit: Duplicate post removed.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Sir Andy, can you change this to 914World Garage. Mark

I did a copy and paste move to the Garage
ClayPerrine
Please consider a stiffener kit for the longitudinals. The 914 flexes badly through the middle because of the open top.

Brad Mauyer makes a great kit that goes on the outside of the longitudinals. The original structure is a zig zag piece of steel on top of a flat piece of steel. The kit adds another layer on top of the zig zag, making it like corrugated cardboard. And we all know how stiff corrugated cardboard is.

I have that kit on my big six, and it is on the repaired chassis for Betty's car.

Also, there are some kits to re-enforce the front sway bar holes and the area around the rear shocks. Both are recommended kits for high horsepower cars.

Cairo94507
Sounds like a nice build. Like Clay said, I think you might consider a chassis stiffening kit. I have the inner chassis stiffening kit that goes on the interior side of the longs and the firewall. It is invisible once the car is carpeted and in my opinion really stiffens the chassis. I chose not to reinforce the trailing arms because if I lose control and slid it into a curb, I would rather the trailing arm bend and not the chassis.

I think the front sway bar reinforcement is a must. I went with stock later 914 F&R sway bars as well as Bilstein shocks/struts and Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around. I have 140 pound rear springs. My car rides very nice and does not lean and even more importantly, does not squeak.

I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection, 964 cams, Steve Wong custom chip, large-tube SS heat exchangers and muffler. I am at around 240 HP running through a 901 with a side-shifter conversion. My car runs great and pulls strongly. Of course, with Ben's exhaust, it sounds terrific.

I know you are leaving it to the body shop re the flares.....personally, I would go with steel flares. The increase in value is well worth the extra cost. I love Mexico Blue and that will look great on a flared car.

Here is a picture of my steering wheel and gauges:
Click to view attachment
mb911
Let me know if I can help. I make a good amount if parts for these cars and conversions.
jim dorociak
I currently have the front 911 hubs/ new SC brake rotors and even SC calipers listed for sale. I have an early 911 steering column and a wiper switch available listed as well. Just a start for what you are looking for. Ben makes a great oil tank, bumper modification for oil cooler cut out, Hard GT oil lines to plumb cooler in the front nose. Jim. jdorociak@gmail.com
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2022, 12:30 PM) *

Please consider a stiffener kit for the longitudinals. The 914 flexes badly through the middle because of the open top.

Brad Mauyer makes a great kit that goes on the outside of the longitudinals. The original structure is a zig zag piece of steel on top of a flat piece of steel. The kit adds another layer on top of the zig zag, making it like corrugated cardboard. And we all know how stiff corrugated cardboard is.

I have that kit on my big six, and it is on the repaired chassis for Betty's car.

Also, there are some kits to re-enforce the front sway bar holes and the area around the rear shocks. Both are recommended kits for high horsepower cars.

I am considering the inner longitudinal stiffening kit, the 914 six GT stiffening kit, the box trailing arm kit and the front sway bar stiffening kit.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 22 2022, 03:59 PM) *

Let me know if I can help. I make a good amount if parts for these cars and conversions.

Hi Ben…I will be in touch
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 22 2022, 03:43 PM) *

Sounds like a nice build. Like Clay said, I think you might consider a chassis stiffening kit. I have the inner chassis stiffening kit that goes on the interior side of the longs and the firewall. It is invisible once the car is carpeted and in my opinion really stiffens the chassis. I chose not to reinforce the trailing arms because if I lose control and slid it into a curb, I would rather the trailing arm bend and not the chassis.

I think the front sway bar reinforcement is a must. I went with stock later 914 F&R sway bars as well as Bilstein shocks/struts and Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around. I have 140 pound rear springs. My car rides very nice and does not lean and even more importantly, does not squeak.

I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection, 964 cams, Steve Wong custom chip, large-tube SS heat exchangers and muffler. I am at around 240 HP running through a 901 with a side-shifter conversion. My car runs great and pulls strongly. Of course, with Ben's exhaust, it sounds terrific.

I know you are leaving it to the body shop re the flares.....personally, I would go with steel flares. The increase in value is well worth the extra cost. I love Mexico Blue and that will look great on a flared car.

Here is a picture of my steering wheel and gauges:
Click to view attachment

Great looking dash. Original or repro wheel? Who did the gauges?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 14 2022, 11:04 AM) *
Well…That is the current plan.

That 916 front bumper does not look like any of the crappy aftermarket ones you usually see.

I'm intrigued ...
idea.gif

TRS63
Sounds like a great plan, looking forward to follow it popcorn[1].gif

Antoine
rgalla9146
Hey Tom,

You have like-minded company close by. I'm North Jersey. My white car has many of the features you've focused on. A 3.0 is in the works right now. This is a thread that I started on the topic. I'm glad to talk anytime.

-Rory

Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2022, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 14 2022, 11:04 AM) *
Well…That is the current plan.

That 916 front bumper does not look like any of the crappy aftermarket ones you usually see.

I'm intrigued ...
idea.gif

Andy,

That 916 front bumper looks to be an 80's to early 90's unit.
I have two of them that look just like that. Also the correct style 916 rear.
It has the consistent shape at the top front not like the newer ones that shrink in the middle. I purchased a set brand new in 1988 or 89 from Tweeks IIRC.
Maybe the molds where redone but diffidently not correct.
Cairo94507
@Tom1394racing - Hi Tom, Original steering wheel, padded and wrapped. Also, Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA did my gauges. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 22 2022, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 22 2022, 03:59 PM) *

Hi Ben…I will be in touch

Sounds good. I have worked with Scott @automobile associates for 15 years or so. Great people over there.
mb911
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269606&hl=

This is my build thread check it out for my GT Tribute.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 23 2022, 03:02 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269606&hl=

This is my build thread check it out for my GT Tribute.

Yes Ben…. I read the entire thread as part of my education process. Very informative and inspirational. You do great work. Will be in contact with regard to oil tanks oil lines and other products you make.
Tom1394racing
Updating his thread....

I had to put the car in the basement as my lift space is occupied by my '70E and my RSR tribute for winter storage and there is no extra room in the garage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

All the take-off parts will be available for sale.
Tom1394racing
Over the past month, I have slowly been stripping the car down and discovering the rust.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
More rust

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I think I have gone about as far as I can with stripping the car until I move it into my garage and onto my lift. Then I can remove the engine & gearbox and the suspension and get a good look at the underside.
ChrisFoley
No surprises there. The CA car on my lift is worse.
BTW, did you get my email reply last month?
IronHillRestorations
Let me know if I can offer any advice Tom. You’ve been helpful with parts over the years. I can make a custom engine harness for you, when you get to that point.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 4 2022, 08:56 PM) *

Let me know if I can offer any advice Tom. You’ve been helpful with parts over the years. I can make a custom engine harness for you, when you get to that point.

Perry

Thanks for your generous offer. I am in a parts gathering mode right now. I will not hesitate to reach out for help and advice as I move forward.
Lucky9146
Tom
Happy to help in any way possible.
I was fortunate to start with a car that was an abandoned project and already flared and painted. 3.0 engine Webers. I recommend metal flares.
I have a thread which may help with some of your build.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=261197&hl=

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
I have been able to source some cool parts for this project.

Early sandcast 250 mm fan/shroud & 2 bolt strap to go with the 3.0L I'll be building
Click to view attachment
"69-73 911 rear hubs
Click to view attachment
Pair of Early 911S front calipers
Click to view attachment
Unused pair of Ben's heat exchangers
Bilstein front struts with early 911 hubs
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
BadToTheBown
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 2 2022, 08:59 AM) *

Unused pair of Ben's heat exchangers

Really digging those headers, where did you get them?
mb911
Tom working on tanks now let me know when your ready.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Look what showed up today from the UK.

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
For anyone who doesn’t know, Tom is an invaluable resource in the early 911 community and an all around great and generous guy.

Tom, we fabricated this roll bar that ties into the longitudinals but has a low ‘climb over’. It also fits under the targa top. It works wonders and doesn’t make getting in or out measurably more difficult. I’m sure you can find a competent welder to make you one too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jjeffries
Hi Tom, here’s my first post on 914World … I’ve been reading some amazing threads here for the past few months. Didn’t realize you’d started your 914 journey; will be watching with much interest.

Tom was instrumental in helping me with my 82 SC which I bought disassembled in 2014 and had on the road two years later.

I still have the SC and am also rehabilitating the other VW/Porsche lovechild, a 924, albeit an 87 S.

Kind regards,
John, also in Conn.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(ibmiked @ Apr 6 2022, 08:58 PM) *

For anyone who doesn’t know, Tom is an invaluable resource in the early 911 community and an all around great and generous guy.

Tom, we fabricated this roll bar that ties into the longitudinals but has a low ‘climb over’. It also fits under the targa top. It works wonders and doesn’t make getting in or out measurably more difficult. I’m sure you can find a competent welder to make you one too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hi Mike

Good to hear from you. I am thinking about the GT style roll bar with diagonals similar to those on yours. Auto Associates will do the fabrication and installation. Love those seats!
brant
I still think a roll bar in a street legal car is dangerous

Why would someone put themselves into a “make re dangerous vehicle?”

Unless your wearing your helmet on your coffee run
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 12 2022, 09:42 AM) *

I still think a roll bar in a street legal car is dangerous

Why would someone put themselves into a “make re dangerous vehicle?”

Unless your wearing your helmet on your coffee run

I don’t have the paper handy but it was proven to be very dangerous in an accident. There’s a good reason why every interior surface is padded. Just take a look at an in cockpit video of a car accident. People flail around a lot more than you think.
blabla914
Tom,

Excited to see how this build turns out.

If people want a little preview of what's to come, the RSR in Tom's signature was featured in Excellence in December of 2006. Armando also has a some nice pictures of his 911 on PBase.

Kelly
ibmiked
Agreed, a roll bar is dangerous without a helmet. So too though is driving a 50 year old car that was designed and built before crumple zones and high strength steel in a world of 6,000lb SUVs driven by people whose attention is partially focused on their phones. We all accept a certain amount of risk when enjoying our cars.
mepstein
QUOTE(ibmiked @ Apr 13 2022, 10:01 PM) *

Agreed, a roll bar is dangerous without a helmet. So too though is driving a 50 year old car that was designed and built before crumple zones and high strength steel in a world of 6,000lb SUVs driven by people whose attention is partially focused on their phones. We all accept a certain amount of risk when enjoying our cars.

914’s do have built in crumple zones. Why add something that’s proven to injure or kill you in an accident?
ibmiked
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2022, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ibmiked @ Apr 13 2022, 10:01 PM) *

914’s do have built in crumple zones. Why add something that’s proven to injure or kill you in an accident?

Why ride a motorcycle? Or a bicycle on a public road? This kind of talk is silly.
davehg
I modded my roll bar in a similar fashion to the above pix, and during a discussion with the race shop that welded it, decided I would add roll bar pads in the areas around my head and neck. It may not look pretty, but I’ve seen what a TBI injury can do to a family, and it’s not worth the result of having my pretty shiny roll bar.

To each their own. Now back on the topic - fun project to follow. I’ve completed my 3.2 and nearly done with my 2.7 twin plug. Ben’s tank and heat exchangers and muffler are in my 2.7 and his sport GT muffler is in my 3.2. Lots of great help here on the forum, and shout out for Rich Johnston’s motor mount and throttle assembly, Eric at PMB, and Tangerine Racing’s shift rod kit, fuel lines, and brake lines, and folks like Bruce Stone and Rich at 914werke who have provided odds and sods parts.

And of course the incomparable Bernie Buschen who has thoughtfully and methodically built both engines and assembly - what a real mensch.
brant

[/quote]

Why ride a motorcycle? Or a bicycle on a public road? This kind of talk is silly.
[/quote]

Nope
A brain injury is not silly
On a motorcycle you should also wear a helmet
Just like a car with a roll cage

Not silly
Actually smart
ClayPerrine
[quote name='brant' date='Apr 15 2022, 07:43 AM' post='2995390']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope
A brain injury is not silly
On a motorcycle you should also wear a helmet
Just like a car with a roll cage

Not silly
Actually smart
[/quote]
agree.gif

You are less likely to be hurt in an accident when not wearing a seat belt than you are getting into an accident on a motorcycle while not wearing a helmet, but we still have mandatory seat belt laws for cars. And you are way less likely to be hurt at an Autocross than you are when riding a motorcycle on the street. But we still wear helmets when running in an Autocross.

Personally I think the people who get on a motorcycle in shorts, a wife beater t-shirt, flip flops, and sunglasses are stupid. And we as the general public have to support their long term medical care when they get squished by an 18 wheeler on the highway and somehow manage to live through it. mad.gif

My $.02.... To ride a motorcycle without a helmet should require you to sign a waiver stating that you agree that you or your family will pay all medical costs resulting from injuries that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

Sorry.. this is one of my pet peeves. In Texas it is perfectly legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but if you don't put your seat belt on in a car, you get a ticket. That is hypocrisy of the stupidest level. I am a seatbelt fanatic. They save lives. And when I did ride a motorcycle on the street, I wore a helmet. But I think they should either repeal the seatbelt law or re-instate the mandatory helmet law.

I will get off my soap box now.

Clay
ibmiked
Getting on a motorcycle or bicycle, even with a helmet, is always going to be a less safe choice than a car when it comes to being in an accident. That is an undeniable fact that I think we can all agree on. And yet every day millions of people choose to ride on public roads. They make a risk/reward choice and the pleasure they derive from something is strong enough that they are willing to accept the risk.

I think it’s safe to say that no one here has only their 914 as transportation. If your other car was built in the last 30 years, it has airbags which make it dramatically safer than our old Porsches. And yet, we all accept the fact that we are choosing a less safe alternative when we drive them, because of the joy we get. Everyone’s threshold is different and no one is denying that a roll bar is less safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.