Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tom1394racing
Another trip up to Auto Associates today to check on the project. The chassis is getting some final touch up before another coat of epoxy primer, then light undercoating on the floor bottom and backsides of the inner fender wells. Then the undersides, front trunk, engine compartment and rear trunk will get final paint in Lizard Green. After that, sometime in October, the car will come back to me for mechanical and electrical assembly including the engine build and installation. The plan is to get the car in running condition before it goes back to Auto Associates for final body work and paint including the installation of the GT flares, both trunk lids and doors. This will ensure the flares are properly aligned with the wheels & tires and the door gaps are set perfectly.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The doors and NOS rear quarters have been primed. The "Dent Magician" will make sure all the panels are perfectly smooth.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom1394racing
The engine lid is getting some final touch up and the GT Roll bar is awaiting the installation of the longitudinal diagonals.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The rear suspension pivot point reinforcements have been installed. The support rods are adjustable and removeable.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The kit for the through lid fuel filler funnel had arrived.

Click to view attachment

We also had to move the wiring harness through hole in the engine shelf to align with the Mad Dog engine mount.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Here are the front through holes in the front trunk and cockpit for the oil lines to the cooler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Making nice progress; looks like it is going to be an epic build. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
connect the holes = oval....be happy
Bullethead
agree.gif Nice work...

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
BTW, you'll want one of Ben's @mb911 very tidy oil line covers:

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Sep 22 2023, 04:07 PM) *

The doors and NOS rear quarters have been primed. The "Dent Magician" will make sure all the panels are perfectly smooth.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom make sure to remove the small brackets below the tailights of each rear fender.
Those are only for '75-'76 impact bumper cars
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Sep 22 2023, 05:47 PM) *

BTW, you'll want one of Ben's @mb911 very tidy oil line covers:

Click to view attachment

Is Ben still making these? I will have to check in with him. Thanks for the tip.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 22 2023, 05:07 PM) *

connect the holes = oval....be happy

Yeah...Been thinking about that. Should make installing the oil lines easier. Good tip. Thanks
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 22 2023, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Sep 22 2023, 04:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom make sure to remove the small brackets below the tailights of each rear fender.
Those are only for '75-'76 impact bumper cars

Rory...Thanks for the tip.
Tom1394racing
My engine parts came back from Ollie's yesterday. Nine months turnaround time. Now I have almost everything to start the engine assembly.

Cam towers and valve covers. Lower covers were drilled for twin plug, and the ribs were milled to allow added clearance for ease of removal. Both upper and lower covers were tumbled and resurfaced. The cam towers got new plugs and spray bars and were also tumbled.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Connecting rods. The rods were inspected for damage, resized and re-bushed. These will get new ARP rod bolts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Chain boxes and covers. These were cleaned, tumbled and re-surfaced.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Most important...The crankcase. The case was inspected and resized to std. Through bolt holes were spot faced, oil squirters were cleaned and replaced as needed, the oil plugs were replaced, and the case was tanked and tumbled.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That engine case and those parts look beautiful; going to be a great engine. beerchug.gif
NS914
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Sep 22 2023, 05:19 PM) *

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me who you ordered the through the lid fuel filler funnel kit from?

One more project on my '74 that I would love to incorporate.

Regards,

Grant
Gint
Great project! And some beautiful work.
Tom1394racing
More progress at Auto Associates. The NOS rear quarters have been welding in place and have made a beautiful repair. Also the engine lid release cable tube has been modified for the GT type release.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The MittleMotor manual head light release parts have been added. I will tweak these and get them working once I get the car back at my place.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(NS914 @ Sep 28 2023, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Sep 22 2023, 05:19 PM) *

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me who you ordered the through the lid fuel filler funnel kit from?

One more project on my '74 that I would love to incorporate.

Regards,

Grant

Grant

here is a link to the fuel filler kit

https://sierramadrecollection.com/products/...ller-kit-p55866
Tom1394racing
Another trip up to Auto Associates today. More progress. The hood & fuel filler have been fitted and the final pieces for the headlight kit have been welded in place. Next up will be paint for the bottom, front & rear compartments and cockpit. Then delivery to me for interim assembly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
It looks a lot different from what I saw in your garage a year ago Tom. thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
Amazing progress. One of the prettiest things is a chassis coming together for body work and paint. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Great progress, thanks for sharing !

Antoine
rgalla9146

Tom were those dents in the rear fender ?
Dion
This is looking so good. Well done on the progress. Like the details you are doing. That engine should be quite strong now. Peace of mind doing what you have done. So nice.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 10 2023, 08:32 AM) *

Tom were those dents in the rear fender ?

Yes Rory...I think they were. You can see them in the original photo when I dropped them off at Auto Associates

Click to view attachment

No worries as they will be taken out as part of the final body work and flare installation.
Tom1394racing
The Phase I rust repair and chassis stiffening is now complete at Auto Associates. The car is coming home to me for the Phase II assembly work before going back to Auto Associates for final, phase III GT body work, roll bar installation and paint. The color is Lizard Green.

My plan is to start with the electrical first. I will be installing a new 914-6 wiring harness. I plan to get all the lights fit checked and working using my 12V DC power supply. Then I will install the front crossmember, rebuilt steering rack and converted steering column along with the dash to allow completion of the wiring for the T/S, wipers and gauges. After that, I plan to install the front and rear suspensions as well as all the through tunnel fuel lines, brake lines and cables.

The final step in phase II will be the engine build and installation. Ideally, I will have a running chassis before the car goes back to Auto Associates for phase III. My target for phase III is late spring 2024.

Any constructive comments or suggestions on the plan from those of you who have down this road before will be appreciated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
A couple more photos.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Love the color! smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Oct 19 2023, 01:50 PM) *

Love the color! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Great color!!!! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Nice progress!
mb911
Looks great. Very nice
Tom1394racing
Now that I have the car back home, time for phase II reassembly.

My original plan was to start with the wiring harness, When I unpacked the brand new 914-6 harness from Restoration Design, I found that they had not relocated the fuel pump wiring to the front trunk for the GT dual front fuel pumps as we had discussed. Peter at RD was very helpful in agreeing to expedite return shipping and correction of the harness at no cost.

In the meantime, I decided to begin installation of the front suspension, in particular to check to ensure the modified early 911 steering column would fit and work with the rebuilt 914 steering rack. No problems here...Butter smooth turning action. Note the Momo steering wheel is only temporary as I have a good 380 mm original style wheel I will be using once completed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
So what is the deal on the thru hole for the steering rack shaft? It seems there should be some type of grommet to close up the hole?? I could not see anything on the parts diagram. What do we do about this?

Click to view attachment
siverson
Looks great!
Bullethead
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Nov 3 2023, 05:11 PM) *

So what is the deal on the thru hole for the steering rack shaft? It seems there should be some type of grommet to close up the hole?? I could not see anything on the parts diagram. What do we do about this?

Click to view attachment

agree.gif This flummoxed me, too... there had to be something. Whether it's correct or not, I'm making a grommet work here.
gms
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Nov 3 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif This flummoxed me, too... there had to be something. Whether it's correct or not, I'm making a grommet work here.

you must be missing a piece
Click to view attachment
mepstein
smile.gif
rgalla9146

Tom the black collar/bearing that slips over the first shaft on the rack should press
against the tank side of that hole. I has a small lip to form a seal there.
Could it be reversed ?
I think you'll have to lower the rack/crossmember
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2023, 08:40 PM) *

smile.gif

Thanks Mark

Any idea what that part is and where to get one?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Nov 4 2023, 06:51 AM) *

smile.gif

Thanks Mark

I may be missing something here but this is what came to mind when I saw your first post. Pretty reasonable price at 914 rubber.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2023, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Nov 4 2023, 06:51 AM) *

smile.gif

Thanks Mark

I may be missing something here but this is what came to mind when I saw your first post. Pretty reasonable price at 914 rubber.

I think that is the rubber, two-piece steering bearing that is clamped to the chassis shown in my photo. The parts diagram shows it as two separate pieces but they fit together.
Bullethead
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 3 2023, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Nov 3 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

you must be missing a piece
Click to view attachment

Ah! Thank you!
gms
It is not the bearing it is the collar above it.
Calling @GaroldShaffer !
I bet he has 100 of them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.