Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Justinp71
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Aug 3 2023, 10:46 AM) *

A few more restored parts ready for reassembly.

Gauges from North Hollywood and steering rack for 914 Rubber.

Click to view attachment

I love your build! I am also recently converting my 914-6 conversion to more of a GT interior. Curious are you going to install the classic gauge pod over the stereo or keep the radio (maybe do afr or ?)? I'm currently debating over this, I think I am going to run the gauge pod for awhile and see if I miss the actual radio (keeping a hidden stereo).
Shivers
Great work.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 4 2023, 11:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I love your build! I am also recently converting my 914-6 conversion to more of a GT interior. Curious are you going to install the classic gauge pod over the stereo or keep the radio (maybe do afr or ?)? I'm currently debating over this, I think I am going to run the gauge pod for awhile and see if I miss the actual radio (keeping a hidden stereo).

I am planning for a "GT Like" interior with no radio or gauge pod.
Tom1394racing
Front turn signals ready to install.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Also, the taillights are ready.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Justinp71
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Aug 4 2023, 01:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ok cool. Have you looked into the door panels yet? Leather panels are available, the original handles can be purchased on ebay/auto atlanta. I just made some leather straps.

Tom1394racing
Meanwhile at Auto Associates, Mad Dog's stiffening kits have been installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 4 2023, 04:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ok cool. Have you looked into the door panels yet? Leather panels are available, the original handles can be purchased on ebay/auto atlanta. I just made some leather straps.

I have a pair of blank leatherette t door panels that I bought from 914 rubber. I also have the leather strap and the bezels for where the leather strap passes into the door panel near the door lock. I plan to use the original window winder handles and the GT style door pull handles that seem to be widely available. There seem to be some really great threads with Photos on how to locate the bezels on the door panels. I am a little concerned about the amount of pulling force required to actuate the door locks with the leather strap. I’ve cleaned and lubed my door locks as best as possible and hopefully it will not be an issue. I have similar door panels, leather straps, and pulls on my RSR clone. Those have worked flawlessly for 15 years.
TRS63
Good work!

Antoine
Tom1394racing
Restored dash from Just Dashes arrived today. Looks flawless as you would expect from them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Fuel tank has been cleaned, sealed, pressure tested and painted. I may decide to give it a final satin black coat before install.

Click to view attachment
Justinp71
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Aug 5 2023, 03:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I have a pair of blank leatherette t door panels that I bought from 914 rubber. I also have the leather strap and the bezels for where the leather strap passes into the door panel near the door lock. I plan to use the original window winder handles and the GT style door pull handles that seem to be widely available. There seem to be some really great threads with Photos on how to locate the bezels on the door panels. I am a little concerned about the amount of pulling force required to actuate the door locks with the leather strap. I’ve cleaned and lubed my door locks as best as possible and hopefully it will not be an issue. I have similar door panels, leather straps, and pulls on my RSR clone. Those have worked flawlessly for 15 years.

I just did this. The straps work good, I ended up pulling out the spring in the door handle made it a little easier to pull. But what I really liked is it put less pressure on the handle grommet.
Bullethead
The dash looks terrific Tom, what was the cost and turnaround? Any fitment issues?
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 18 2023, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Aug 5 2023, 03:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I just did this. The straps work good, I ended up pulling out the spring in the door handle made it a little easier to pull. But what I really liked is it put less pressure on the handle grommet.

Justin...I seem to remember a posting where someone removed the spring. Was that yours?
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Aug 18 2023, 07:03 PM) *

The dash looks terrific Tom, what was the cost and turnaround? Any fitment issues?

I did only the dash top, not the bottom piece. My bottom piece was in very good shape.

6-month lead-time door to door. $1534 total cost. I had seen their work on a couple of local cars and was convinced of the value as there did not seem to be any good alternatives.
flyer86d
Work of this quality and detail makes me want to barf. You are doing a way too nice job on everything. It is going to be great!

Charlie
Tom1394racing
More parts getting ready for installation.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
380 mm hockey puck steering wheel.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
46 mm PMO kit. Once I get the case back from Ollie's, I can start the engine build.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Soooo nice, restored to new (or better) state. Want to finish my car wink.gif
Tom1394racing
Bottom side rust repairs and chassis stiffening had been completed and the repairs dressed and e-coated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Mad Dog interior chassis stiffening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Mad Dog exterior chassis stiffening.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Front and rear trunk compartments. Still to do:

1. GT Roll bar from Tangerine Racing
2. Front cooler ducting
3. -6 Engine mount from Mad Dog
4. Shoulder belt anchors on firewall
5. Engine access panel on firewall
6. Rear suspension pivot point reinforcements
7. Through holes for oil tank & oil cooler lines
8. Front truck mods for Mittlemotor GT headlight cable release system
9. Modify and install 911 steering column
10. Paint bottom side, both trunks and cockpit in Lizard Green

The car will then come back to me for partial reassembly including electricals, engine and gearbox, suspension and interior components. Then back to Auto Associates for mounting of the flares and final body and paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Installed the Tangerine Racing side shift bracket on the gearbox yesterday.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Last Friday I had the pleasure of visiting Rory Gallagher (rgalla9146) to pick up a set of NOS rear quarters and front fenders and look over his pristine GT clone. It turns out that Rory also had an original 914-6 throttle bracket. I will be using the rear quarters and the throttle bracket for this project and the front fenders will be for sale sometime in the near future.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
TRS63
Project moving great,thanks for sharing !

Antoine
mepstein
Rory has some great treasures along with invaluable knowledge. His build has a bunch of special features that he’s helped me make aware so I could steal borrow. biggrin.gif
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 5 2023, 08:14 AM) *

Rory has some great treasures along with invaluable knowledge. His build has a bunch of special features that he’s helped me make aware so I could steal borrow. biggrin.gif

I'll second that! Here is the 914-6 throttle bracket that he pulled out of his attic after I mentioned that I needed one.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Ben McFarland's oil tank had been installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Mad Dog's engine mount installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Balsa reinforced front and rear lids from Getty arrived last week.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Working on the front cooler and engine access panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
clap23.gif Nice, steady progress Tom... final product will be worth all the effort.
live free & drive
I went looking for Armando's GT Build he featured on the Pbase site. It seems to have been removed from the site, but after poking around it's still there; here's the link:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt

I always liked the oil cooler reinforcement he did here:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_front_oil_cooler_install

He also did the windshield frame reinforcements that you rarely see:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/my9146gt_windshiel..._reinforcements

The Pelican site GT build thread is here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...gt-project.html

mepstein
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Sep 5 2023, 11:22 PM) *

I went looking for Armando's GT Build he featured on the Pbase site. It seems to have been removed from the site, but after poking around it's still there; here's the link:

Did he ever finish the build?
live free & drive
Seems like he ran out of steam on the project around 2014.

I talked with him on the phone several times while buying parts he was offering in the 2018-19 time frame. We did not specifically talk about what was going on with his build.

He had a boatload of Porsche racing parts - a lot of engine stuff for 906's etc. maybe somebody made him an offer he couldn't refuse?
Luke M
Hi Tom,

Project looks good. I see you went shopping at Rory's place. He has a pretty good stash of nos parts. I sold him the chassis that he turned into the GT clone. How I wish I kept that one.

One thing you may want to do is remove that blower fan bracket on left engine shelf. It'll get in the way of installing/removing the oil filter. I ran into that issue on my brothers 6 conv but didn't find out til after the engine bay was painted... sad.gif
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Sep 5 2023, 11:22 PM) *

The Pelican site GT build thread is here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...gt-project.html

Yes...We have been following Armando's lead and using many of his ideas and detailed descriptions and documentation of factory GT cars. The oil cooler duct reinforcement has been done as well.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 6 2023, 11:08 AM) *

Hi Tom,

Project looks good. I see you went shopping at Rory's place. He has a pretty good stash of nos parts. I sold him the chassis that he turned into the GT clone. How I wish I kept that one.

One thing you may want to do is remove that blower fan bracket on left engine shelf. It'll get in the way of installing/removing the oil filter. I ran into that issue on my brothers 6 conv but didn't find out til after the engine bay was painted... sad.gif

Luke...Thanks for pointing that out. It is on the "to do" list. Any other suggestions, I am all ears!
Tom1394racing
Things are moving forward quickly at Auto Associates. Here is the engine access panel along with the center mount for the GT roll bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The front cooler reinforcement has been added and the cooler & ducting test fitted.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Also, the early 911 steering column has been modified to fit the 914 chassis.

Click to view attachment
sixaddict
Tom
Your work on this gives me indigestion………it is above and beyond great! Process shows a level commitment I’m having trouble finding.
Question……
What was your procedure for restoring plastic parts of ventilation system?
Thanks,
Terry
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 7 2023, 12:13 PM) *

Tom
Your work on this gives me indigestion………it is above and beyond great! Process shows a level commitment I’m having trouble finding.
Question……
Thanks,
Terry

First, a thorough cleaning with soap and water. Then removal of any, and all overspray with Goo Gone and a soft Scotch-Brite pad. Then I used Maguires Cericoat wipes to restore luster. I did not remove any of the hardware and haven’t re-plated as I was able to polish to my satisfaction.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Sep 7 2023, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 7 2023, 12:13 PM) *

Tom
Question……
Thanks,
Terry

First, a thorough cleaning with soap and water. Then removal of any, and all overspray with Goo Gone and a soft Scotch-Brite pad. Then I used Maguires Cericoat wipes to restore luster. I did not remove any of the hardware and haven’t re-plated as I was able to polish to my satisfaction.

GREAT info, it gives a normal garage guy hope on similar results.
Thanks!
Tom1394racing
Tangerine Racing GT roll bar installation in process. This will be welded in and will get diagonals from the bar to the inner longitudinals.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Rear quarter prepped for installation of the NOS quarter panel.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Sergio's GT engine lid with the diagonal removed for a more authentic GT look.

Click to view attachment
TRS63
Fantastic project and thanks for sharing the details with us!

Antoine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.