Full Version: Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 19 2023, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 18 2023, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 18 2023, 06:29 PM) *

Looks like a great combo.
Maybe think about M calipers on back with 911 e-brakes and tangerine conversion kit. Not very pricey, especially with your parts supply and would compliment the front brakes.

agree.gif

Or get 914-6 calipers, keep the 914 e brake and get the larger caliper pistons 38 mm, same as m calipers.

Great suggestions on rear brakes. I am not familiar with the Tangerine kit. I would imagine 914-6 calipers would be tough to find.

Since my trailing arms have already been powder coated, my 914-4 calipers are finishing up restoration at PMB and I already have the 911 non-vented rotors that have been turned by 3 mm, I am inclined to keep that setup. Since the car will be primary street driven, other than the visual and cool factor, how much downside is there to the stock 914-4 calipers?

I have stock 914-4 calipers on my conversion car with M calipers on the front. It’s a narrow body with 3.2. My GT car will get S calipers on front and 914-6GT calipers on the rear. The GT calipers are just expensive M calipers with an e-brake. My Suby 3.2 car has M calipers f&r with the tangerine kit. When everything is finished I’ll let you know what works best(for me) lol.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Apr 19 2023, 05:02 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 18 2023, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 18 2023, 06:29 PM) *

Looks like a great combo.
Maybe think about M calipers on back with 911 e-brakes and tangerine conversion kit. Not very pricey, especially with your parts supply and would compliment the front brakes.

agree.gif

Or get 914-6 calipers, keep the 914 e brake and get the larger caliper pistons 38 mm, same as m calipers.

Great suggestions on rear brakes. I am not familiar with the Tangerine kit. I would imagine 914-6 calipers would be tough to find.

Since my trailing arms have already been powder coated, my 914-4 calipers are finishing up restoration at PMB and I already have the 911 non-vented rotors that have been turned by 3 mm, I am inclined to keep that setup. Since the car will be primary street driven, other than the visual and cool factor, how much downside is there to the stock 914-4 calipers?

Since you’ve got some items at pmb already, they will be your best source for advice, but if you want to maintain the factory engineered front to rear bias, calipers should be matched as a system. You’re increasing caliper piston size and brake pad size at the front with the early s calipers, so rears should be increased as well. The factory paired M calipers with the S calipers, which is why Mark suggested. Ms are cheap and plentiful, but you lose the stock 914 e brake. The 914-6 calipers have the same size piston and pad as the M, but you are correct they may be tough to source.

There are other methods to adjust the bias, many have gone your path without problems, others use a manually adjustable bias valve. PMB used to offer a 914-6 gt repop caliper, but I don’t see them advertised anymore.

Along with PMB, if you ever want more info on Porsche brakes than you can handle, look up user Bill Verburg on the bird 911 forums.
Tom1394racing
Here are some photos of the repairs in the rear bumper mount area

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
RHS Rear bumper support.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=873
925]Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Ready for NOS rear firewall.

Click to view attachment
Speedo
Thanks Tom for the updates. Looking at the metal repairs makes me smell welding fumes...mmm. biggrin.gif Time to head to the shop to work on the 6.
Have you started on the engine yet?
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 23 2023, 10:55 AM) *

Thanks Tom for the updates. Looking at the metal repairs makes me smell welding fumes...mmm. biggrin.gif Time to head to the shop to work on the 6.
Have you started on the engine yet?

The case is at Ollies. I am still about 3 months out from delivery. I have almost everything else ready for the build.
Tom1394racing
More progress on rust repair at Auto Associates. Engine bay L&R (hell hole) side rust repaired. Heater tubes reinstalled and outer longitudinals being replaced. Interesting note on the acid/e-coat dip. We have found some spots where neither the acid nor the e-coat penetrated. Fortunately, these areas also had only light surface rust.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
I was able to find some good replacement panels. A LHS sail/rear quarter at Carlisle and a rear panel from our friend Chris Foley. We will use only the taillight section of the rear panel. However, if anyone has a good RHS sail/rear quarter panel like the LHS I found, we could make good use of it.

Front fender well repairs are also completed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
In the meantime, the original '73 side shift gearbox has been rebuilt with a billet Al intermediate plate and 108 mm output shafts to mate with sway away axles and 911 108 mm CV's. The intermediate plate was drilled and tapped to accept the 914-6 throttle bell crank. The gear box will also get the Tangerine Racing precision shift coupler.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Rust repairs are continuing at Auto Associates. I thought it might be useful to post more detailed photos of the process. Here are repairs to the right front corner.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pfreiburger
Thanks for taking the time to post all these pictures, watching the progress is really fun. Your cookbook sounds great, can't wait to see it all come together. BTW, I know the green color that was your first choice - I would vote for that!
Tom1394racing
Here are the repairs to the RHS outer longitudinal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Jun 13 2023, 11:48 PM) *

Thanks for taking the time to post all these pictures, watching the progress is really fun. Your cookbook sounds great, can't wait to see it all come together. BTW, I know the green color that was your first choice - I would vote for that!

Planning on Lizard Green for the color.

Click to view attachment

BillJ
Intense restoration on the chasis. Love it.
rhodyguy
WOW! Going deep on this one.
Tom1394racing
Here are the repairs/replacement of the rear floor jack points.

All of the prefabricated replacement panels used so far have been supplied by Restoration Desing and have fit nicely.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
While the chassis rust repair has been ongoing, I have been restoring and procuring the mechanical bits.

Rear springs and shocks. Ground Control adjustable 150 lb coil overs with helper springs and Bilstein HD's

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Restored seat rails.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Restored pedal cluster.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Restored headlight buckets with MittleMotor GT release kit. Auto Associates will do the welding and cutting and test fit in the headlight area before paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Door stops restored with hardware kit.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Bilstein front strut with HD inserts and PMB restored early S calipers.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Rust repairs are continuing at Auto Associates. Here is the repair of the L/F bumper support.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Here is the repair of the L/F bumper support.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
The front lid headlight and trunk seal channels also needed repair. Here is the L/F headlight seal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Also, the rear floor in the front trunk compartment needed replacement.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif Moving right along; nice work. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Great progress and clean work shades.gif

Antoine
Dion
Fantastic, you have to love new shiny bits!
East coaster
Nice job on those bumper mount areas! I just did mine a couple months ago and it’s a pain in the ass place to work, there’s really no room in there.
r_towle
I love the hellhole repair method.
Step one: remove firewall.

Great work

Rich
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 19 2023, 08:56 AM) *

I love the hellhole repair method.
Step one: remove firewall.

Great work

Rich

Actually, the bottom of the firewall was rusted through. We needed to replace it anyway and we found a NOS panel so the old one came out. It did make access to the hell hole easier.
Tom1394racing
The car is now on the rotisserie and Mad Dog's chassis stiffening parts are being installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Starting to look like a GT.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Meanwhile I am continuing to restore the components and getting ready for reassembly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
A few more pieces restored and ready for assembly. The axles are the Empi free floating with '69-'73 911 108 mm CV's. These will match up with the same size rear stub axles and differential output shafts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Coming along very nicely... great work. clap56.gif
PanelBilly
You might want to add the fuel pump cut out in the frunk while your at this stage
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 27 2023, 11:23 AM) *

You might want to add the fuel pump cut out in the frunk while your at this stage

I am thinking of doing something like this.

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/22285871
TRS63
Really like to follow your progress, that is going to be one really cool 914!!

Antoine
Tom1394racing
A few more restored parts ready for reassembly.

Gauges from North Hollywood and steering rack for 914 Rubber.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
Rear trailing arms along with '69-'73 911 rear hubs and stub axles.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BillJ
These parts are too dirty to install. I think i saw a spec of dust on one the gauges...
Tom1394racing
911 A-Arms and 914 crossmember. Elephant racing rubber bushings all around, front and rear.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.