Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another 914-6 GT Tribute Project
Tom1394racing
post May 11 2024, 05:55 AM
Post #341

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,039
Region Association: North East States

Finally got my rods back from Ollies. They did a nice job balancing them so that each rod is within 1/2 gram of each other. They expedited the job with one day turn around in their shop. UPS messed up on the return shipping, so it took 10 days for the package to get to me. I installed the rods on the crank with ARP rod bolts using my micrometer to set the rod bolt stretch. Then I fit the crank in the case. I'll make up a new set of tools to hold the rods and chains up while mating the case halves. Should be ready to seal it up early next week.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 16 2024, 05:37 AM
Post #342

More engine build progress. Sealed up the case and installed the head studs.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post May 17 2024, 08:25 AM
Post #343

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The engine looks amazing. Beautiful work ! Like the rubber band mechanism, that gets it done. No flopping about. Look forward to more.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 17 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #344

QUOTE(Dion @ May 17 2024, 10:25 AM) *

The engine looks amazing. Beautiful work ! Like the rubber band mechanism, that gets it done. No flopping about. Look forward to more.

Yeah...The rubber bands keep the rods from getting caught on the spigot bores and allow the engine to be rotated with no hang ups.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 17 2024, 02:28 PM
Post #345

I installed the flywheel and crank pulley today. Being new to the 914 world, I am wondering where to make the ignition timing and TDC marks. I understand that the 914-6 had the timing marks on the flywheel in line with the crank pulley as there is no visual access to the crank pulley when the engine is installed. I am guessing that I should paint a fine white line on the edge of the flywheel at the case parting line when the same mark is lined up with the case parting line at the crank. One for TDC, one for my timing mark and one each at TDC for the other cylinders to enable setting the valve lash.

Am I on the right track?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 18 2024, 02:07 PM
Post #346

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ May 17 2024, 04:28 PM) *

I installed the flywheel and crank pulley today. Being new to the 914 world, I am wondering where to make the ignition timing and TDC marks. I understand that the 914-6 had the timing marks on the flywheel in line with the crank pulley as there is no visual access to the crank pulley when the engine is installed. I am guessing that I should paint a fine white line on the edge of the flywheel at the case parting line when the same mark is lined up with the case parting line at the crank. One for TDC, one for my timing mark and one each at TDC for the other cylinders to enable setting the valve lash.

Am I on the right track?

Attached Image

Attached Image

After doing a little research on this timing topic, I concluded that I will mark the flywheel at TDC for each cylinder with a white paint marker and at my timing location with a yellow paint marker. I am hoping that the access panel in my firewall will allow me to see the crank pully and easily access the distributor, making the flywheel marking redundant.
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 18 2024, 04:58 PM
Post #347

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ May 18 2024, 12:07 PM) *

Am I on the right track?

Attached Image

Attached Image

After doing a little research on this timing topic, I concluded that I will mark the flywheel at TDC for each cylinder with a white paint marker and at my timing location with a yellow paint marker. I am hoping that the access panel in my firewall will allow me to see the crank pully and easily access the distributor, making the flywheel marking redundant.

Ok dumb question as I have no personal experience with anything over a 2.7 engine in a 914-6 what pressure plate and transmission are you using with that flywheel? Every 6 conversion I have dealt with is a cup style flywheel and what you have would not work.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 19 2024, 08:23 AM
Post #348

Hi Ben

I am using a Kennedy Engineering 228 mm stage 2 clutch package. It allows conversion of the 915 9 bolt flywheel to the 901 type clutch and pressure plate.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 19 2024, 06:05 PM
Post #349

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ May 18 2024, 04:07 PM) *

Am I on the right track?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Tom you're on the right track.
Use the pulley marks as your guide on the flywheel. I don't know if you'll have proper flat surfaces to mark with those KEP parts.
You're using a conventional dizzy ? If you adjust the timing through the access hole
in the bulkhead be very careful ! Fans/fanbelts have no mercy.
It's awkward but very convenient.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 20 2024, 09:10 AM
Post #350

Thanks Rory

I am using a JB Racing twin plug dizzy. I think if I mark both the flywheel and the KEP ring gear adapter, I will have something that will show up with my timing light.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 20 2024, 02:42 PM
Post #351

Today I did the deck height check using both the vernier at TDC and the solder method. I did the check on cylinders #1 and #4. Ollie's had supplied 0.5 mm base gaskets based on their resizing of the case. Using these gaskets, deck height as measured on the crushed solder came out at 1.2-1.3 mm. That along with my measured combustion chamber and piston dome volumes results in a 10.0:1 compression ratio. Right on target so I will move forward on the assembly.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 21 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #352

Pistons and cylinders went in today.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 28 2024, 01:23 PM
Post #353

Continuing to move forward on the engine build. Heads and cam towers are now installed, and the cams test fitted.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 28 2024, 02:46 PM
Post #354

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks great.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post May 28 2024, 05:53 PM
Post #355

I applied JB Weld to seal the chain rail and tensioner posts on the backside of the chain boxes. I also used the JB Weld to seal the case oil line webbing on the RHS of the case behind the oil cooler.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:13 AM