Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> eye candy
post Mar 24 2022, 05:16 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,007
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 24 2022, 01:10 PM) *

Some very cool history behind that six! I like seeing the snow catcher rear valence. Those are rare.

sorry Root Werks I hit the wrong reply ,was referring to previous comments.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 24 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 24 2022, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 24 2022, 01:10 PM) *

Some very cool history behind that six! I like seeing the snow catcher rear valence. Those are rare.

just to clarify the yellow 6 in the initial post is a 1970.I purchased it as is in 1972

to assist with this question over bumpers.

mr. @Cairo94507 is definitely correct.
71s had the curved recess. but not all of them necessarily.

mr. armando's website for the 914/6 GT is very helpful.
he has kept a sales record in the past and has listed many cars.

all the 71s he lists that have photos have the curved recess later style bumper.

also if you go to his M471 section. all of them with visible bumper shots show they have curved recess bumpers. for the most part these seem to be strictly 71 models.

https://pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_9146_916

did a quick cross check against the vin register here.
the earliest one with a clear image of rear bumper on his site is 0146.
that seems to mean it was made between 0120 which is an 11/70 and 0163 which is 02/71. a good guess would place 0146 as maybe an early new year 71 build.

did a quick scout on 71 914/4s.
harder to find those easily on BAT or anything else to place an early bumper with a vin date.
but if dr.914's restored motor trend car of the year is to be trusted, it had an earlier style bumper and i assume it was the original. dr914 is unlikely to be the sort of person to get that wrong. its construction is 11/70.
i found other 71s with the later style bumper but could not place a date against them.

i'll stab a guess and say the changeover must be sometime around the end of 70 and start of 71. maybe the new calendar year. approximately.

if anyone really wanted to sort this one out thats where to concentrate around.

i did find one aberrant 71 914/6 on BAT. which was 0271. much later in the MY with straight recess bumper. however when i looked closely at documentation it said it was sold with bumper guards new. the car looked to be in original condition but the bumpers showed no trace of the guards. so i suspect it had been restored with the replacement bumpers that were not "correct". a case of a restorer getting it wrong? maybe?

@914043 - it would appear your car originally probably had a straight recessed bumper.
if it was replaced for any reason after new year 71 the replacement would have been the newer type as a spare part.

as to the idea that all 914/6s had the straight recess. not true.
myth.

but an awful lot of 914/6s were 70 models.
i think that is where the idea comes from that its the 6 bumper.
its also on all the 4s of the matching time period.
its an early 914 bumper that is used for approx 18 months.

to me thats another reason to go get a 71 or a 72.
the rarest of the rare.
i like to dream. its never going to happen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Mar 25 2022, 10:49 AM
Post #43

new stainless fuel lines and rear trunk

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DBF
post Mar 25 2022, 07:36 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 25,865
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Beautiful car and amazing you kept it all these years. That car has to have a lot of great memories, and more to be had in the future. Enjoy!

If it turns out someone replaced the original bumper, would you replace it with an original type, or keep it because that is the way you've had it for all these years? I'd keep it the way you bought it. I own a 1942 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) bought from the WWII vet who bought it when he was discharged in 1945. Jeeps were being sold as surplus at the base he was stationed at the end of WWII, and he picked the nicest jeep he could find, along with a new engine in a crate. When he got it home, he put in the new engine, built a log splitter with the original engine, and used it as a farm jeep. He made a number of modifications over the years including fixing a couple rust spots and a repaint using some paint one of the members of his shooting club "liberated" from the national guard post in his town. I often have people comment that this or that isn't original, especially the engine and wrong shade of OD for a WWII jeep. I just smile and nod. At this point, it's more important to me to keep it the way John had it than to return it to factory original.
+Quote Post
post Mar 25 2022, 09:22 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(DBF @ Mar 25 2022, 06:36 PM) *

Beautiful car and amazing you kept it all these years. That car has to have a lot of great memories, and more to be had in the future. Enjoy!

If it turns out someone replaced the original bumper, would you replace it with an original type, or keep it because that is the way you've had it for all these years? I'd keep it the way you bought it. I own a 1942 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) bought from the WWII vet who bought it when he was discharged in 1945. Jeeps were being sold as surplus at the base he was stationed at the end of WWII, and he picked the nicest jeep he could find, along with a new engine in a crate. When he got it home, he put in the new engine, built a log splitter with the original engine, and used it as a farm jeep. He made a number of modifications over the years including fixing a couple rust spots and a repaint using some paint one of the members of his shooting club "liberated" from the national guard post in his town. I often have people comment that this or that isn't original, especially the engine and wrong shade of OD for a WWII jeep. I just smile and nod. At this point, it's more important to me to keep it the way John had it than to return it to factory original.

DBF thanks for the support,most think as I do it really doesn't hurt the value much.Iit would be nice to hear from some .of the real qualified people who could give a market analysis. Situations sometimes arise out of nowhere making thoughts of selling possible
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 26 2022, 02:17 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914043 @ Mar 25 2022, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(DBF @ Mar 25 2022, 06:36 PM) *

DBF thanks for the support,most think as I do it really doesn't hurt the value much.Iit would be nice to hear from some .of the real qualified people who could give a market analysis. Situations sometimes arise out of nowhere making thoughts of selling possible

don't listen to/worry about naysayers @914043 .
your car is legit.
it has come down as an artefact and is the result of its own history.
and by your account you are 99% of that history.

see above - i have found at least one 71 914/6 that has been "corrected" incorrectly. as it should have never have had a straight sided bumper.
and now its got one thanks to probably the intervention of a restorer/owner on the "right" path.
because someone said so? or he read something on a forum? or......
the difference is they went backwards up the wrong road.
you are going forwards.

there are two kinds of artefacts.
something untouched (and by implication completely undriven?).
and them that have been driven, but preserved. and legit fixed along the way.

you have #2. its the real deal.

it won't make a shred of difference to its value.
thats a whole different ball game.
because the f4ckers buying these things for big $ would not have a clue (necessarily).
some do. but most don't. they are guided.
the stories i am hearing right now, and i am just a far off from the centre of the world aussie. we have superannuation companies engaged in investing in classic cars!!!???
f f s - no emotional or intellectual or mechanical attachment to the cars.
they are buying them like they are "art" or commodity.
but beware, because now the "experts" are involved because of the $.
just like the art world. and some f wit is going to decide a bumper this or a bumper that by reading some book or looking at a website like this and becoming an expert.
thats how it goes.

leaving aside that problem, your car is exactly the way the japanese treat a temple.
they rebuild it with new wood. its a good thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

your problem is.
are you gonna drive it.
or clean it up and sell it.

personally i would drive it.
you only live once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Mar 26 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The car is stunning and your story of long term stewardship is inspiring!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If I run across a new old bumper, you will get the first dibs. …A local enthusiast sold me an NOS bumper that I had chromed a few years ago, and will need to see what style it is. Will post a picture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) forgot we had it until this thread.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:39 PM