Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Compartment Blower Hose, L&R Where to Buy
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I borrowed this pic from @skota23 in another topic. Does anyone know where to buy the hoses like this? I have seen and tried others but they have issues and I wanted to try these.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 21 2023, 11:22 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

watching this thread... I need one too.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Feb 21 2023, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

914rubber I believe. I bought some last year. Excellent stuff. Way more than I needed.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 11:31 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 21 2023, 10:27 AM) *

914rubber I believe. I bought some last year. Excellent stuff. Way more than I needed.

Tried that it was very flexible and moved around a lot, especially the long side. I have heard that the longer hose can get sucked in to the engine cooling fan if it is not supported somehow in the middle.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 21 2023, 12:56 PM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 21 2023, 09:31 AM) *
I have heard that the longer hose can get sucked in to the engine cooling fan if it is not supported somehow in the middle.
Correct there is an actual OE clamp that doesn't show up on the 914 PET but mounts to the center top of the impeller shroud to prevent
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 21 2023, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

I tie-wrapped mine to a small bracket inserted under a fastending bolt at the top of the fan housing. Plus I run one of those bus Type 4 screens in front of the fan. I'm running the 914 rubber hoses.

"If you've tried others" and didn't like them, you might wanna let us know, otherwise we could be rcommending teh same ones... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 01:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 21 2023, 12:07 PM) *

I tie-wrapped mine to a small bracket inserted under a fastening bolt at the top of the fan housing. Plus I run one of those bus Type 4 screens in front of the fan. I'm running the 914 rubber hoses.

"If you've tried others" and didn't like them, you might wanna let us know, otherwise we could be recommending the same ones... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As stated in the 1st post, I am looking for these specifically. I have tried the 914rubber ones and found them too floppy for me and I did not like the crushing that happens when you attach the clamp to either end of the connection. Others sell the same ones. These appear to be a harder plastic with formed ends for the clamps.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 21 2023, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

NAPA has it, found it there last year, fit perfect. If I recall it's called "defroster hose"
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 21 2023, 01:32 PM
Post #9

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If found no one presently selling hoses that are true to the OE design ....for a long while.
How Ive remedied the "floppiness" of the long hose particularly, is to insert a paper/foil hose of slightly smaller dimension inside the hose.
It also solves the problem of perforated 50 yr old OE hose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

ok

i've dealt with this problem.
30 years ago, much to my horror, the guys who performed all the rhd conversion engineering and approval work on my car split my original short lhs heater blower hose in half to extend the system across so it used the rhs side. this was because certifying engineer would only accept the defrosting bias if it was switched.

i reinstated the original set up as soon as i had the car registered and on the road.
but i was left with a beautiful original hose that had been in perfect condition that had been cut in half.

i went to a mercedes parts guy back then in perth and was able to find an almost identical heater hose that he supplied. it was 65mm in diameter. i sleeved it over the two ends of my original heater hose and let the ripples in both hoses contact with each other for a binding fit. at least that was the theory. but it proved a little too loose and would always work its way loose.

so more recently i tracked down some Eberspacher ducting. used for caravan/camper van heating and a/c systems. its 60mm diam. i cut a length of this and sleeved it very tightly over the existing two ends of original hose. this let me use the end sections with the original clamps for a good fit to the blower and the engine tin. its been a good binding fit to the original hose halfs and has not worked its way loose.
this hose is fantastic. almost indistinguisable from original. it bends to shape but retains shape it is bent to. its perfect. i am sure you can fit it directly to blower fan and engine tin without fussing the simulation of the factory part like i did.

eventually i notice most original factory heater blower hoses bite the dust and develop splits anyway by this point in time.

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/airtron...60mm-outlet-kit

Attached Image

airtronic ducting i now have on left. 60mm diam.
mercedes benz ducting i had used on right. 65mm diam.

Attached Image

how it looks in engine bay.
nice semi rigid ducting that holds to the shape you bend it to.

Attached Image

as to the extended heater hose that you see on some 74 and 75 cars and the duct splitter that lets you do the two hoses, the reason its not in the PET is i believe it was not offered by the factory for the 914s. i think dealers worked out they could use the twin hose set up that was on VW 411/412 variant/squarebacks. that particular type 4 sedan had a fan that was squeezed over in the space on the left hand side of engine bay. it used the same fan as used on the later 914s with the extra attachment to do the duct split and the long hose to get across the engine as well as the short hose. also had the clip to hold the hose over the fan casting. you can find all the bits in the type 411/412 parts catalogue with the part numbers. go to VW classic website germany. but can you still buy the parts? i don't think so. you might find them in a wrecking yard on an old VW 411/412.
it will be on the squarebacks only. the sedans had the other type of fan that was on earlier 914s with the two outlets either side.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 05:35 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

here is page from 411/412 parts catalogue.
had it filed away.

the original mod, whether by dealer or by owners back in the day, was sourcing parts from VW book. you can see all the bits. duct splitter. the stand off clamp. though i was wrong about attaching it to cooling fan casting in 412 variant. variant used the standoff clamp to hang the motor from underside of top of engine bay sheetmetal. for 914s they just used the clamp to support the hose and fixed it to one of the nuts on the fan casting. and they used the long hose.

none of this is there in 914 PET. all it lists is "additional blower" (ie later blower) and one short length of duct at 450mm. the only thing special to the 914 was it did use a transition piece out of the variant fan that was rectangular to circular for the single circular hose.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Feb 21 2023, 05:39 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 21 2023, 08:54 AM) *

I borrowed this pic from @skota23 in another topic. Does anyone know where to buy the hoses like this? I have seen and tried others but they have issues and I wanted to try these.

Attached Image

The one pictured looks just like the one I just got from Auto Atlanta.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 05:46 PM
Post #13

Maybe it is NLA, but the hose I saw there looked just like the 914rubber hose. Maybe I am not using the search term for the desired results.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Long-Ri...461261235A.html

Got a link or part number?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 21 2023, 05:46 PM) *

Maybe it is NLA, but the hose I saw there looked just like the 914rubber hose. Maybe I am not using the search term for the desired results.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Long-Ri...461261235A.html

i just had a look.
you are correct @NARP74 .

it looks like AA has same type of long hose as 914 rubber.

i looked at listed part for original short hose for a 74/75.
pictured ducting looks to be exactly like Escherbacher hose i posted above that i got hold of here.

neither have the smooth flat section at ends for clamps.

although it does say on the long hose one that AA has, they also offer factory originals.
i guess these must be good condition second hand parts.
probably at a premium price as its a very difficult to get item now.

if all else fails - and presuming you can find one in a junkyard, you could get hold of an old poor condition 914 heater hose. assuming the end sections are still good.
and do my trick of threading them into a sleeve fit with escherbacher duct.
so long as you have enough original section, long enough to get a good sleeve fit it could work very well and look almost factory. take a sharp eye to spot the difference. the original heater hose almost has to be screw turned into the e. duct hose so its very secure as a sleeve fit.

EDIT
i think i can see why 914 rubber and AA would have that different type of non original looking hose. don't know for sure because i have not seen it in flesh but it looks like its very compressible. = small package for postage/freight.

the e. hose duct i got hold of is semi rigid. does not compress to any real degree.
package would be very long to freight it. $ could be reason.
i sourced my e duct locally in the city i live in down here. freight was of no consequence. i just went to the store and got hold of some.
might have had a reasonably hefty freight charge otherwise. would need to be protected by packing to prevent it being crushed.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 06:02 PM
Post #15

I'll ask some of my sources to see what they may have.

As I start to measure things the connector on the fan is 55mm and the 914rubber/AA hoses are 64mm or a little over 2 inch and 2.5 inch for the hose others sell.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 06:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Feb 21 2023, 06:02 PM) *

I'll ask some of my sources to see what they may have.

As I start to measure things the connector on the fan is 55mm and the 914rubber/AA hoses are 64mm or a little over 2 inch and 2.5 inch for the hose others sell.

correct.

and 64mm diam hose is too big.
i know that from earlier experiment with mercedes duct.

60mm e. duct will just fit around the original duct.
just.
you have to screw the original duct in slowly bit by bit.
i think i might have lubricated the original duct with a bit of dishwashing liquid which helped me get the new duct on. in my case i literally used the entire original duct.
both halfs that i had i screwed entirely inside the outer sleeve of 60mm e. duct.

you could easily make a long duct out of surgery on an old original short duct by doing much the same thing.
+Quote Post
71six
post Feb 21 2023, 06:48 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 884

The complete fan blower assembly and hoses are missing on my car. What is the purpose of this blower assembly?
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Feb 21 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(71six @ Feb 21 2023, 05:48 PM) *

The complete fan blower assembly and hoses are missing on my car. What is the purpose of this blower assembly?

It provides heat through the exchangers on the exhaust if you have them, then up the longs and to the diverters and blower up front for the cabin etc.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 07:50 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(71six @ Feb 21 2023, 06:48 PM) *

to the best of my knowledge its only on the 4s.
the sixes use bleed off the cooling fan?

+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 21 2023, 09:13 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 21 2023, 02:31 PM) *

NAPA has it, found it there last year, fit perfect. If I recall it's called "defroster hose"

I’m gonna need a link @930cabman before I believe a word of what you claim lol… You expect me to believe NAPA had ANYTHING in stock that fits a non-chevy?!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:27 PM