Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Restoration Progress?, Screwed up paint job!
vesnyder
post Aug 15 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Got my car back from th epainter last week and have been depressed ever since! He claims he wanted to do it right and remove all the panels before painting. Every set of panels he painted (on separate days) came out a different shade?? This pic gives you an idea - look at the door difference! Is this guy a total incompetent? What could cause this?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 15 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #2

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Well... let's see.

Could be several different things. Wrong pressure, bad bake but my guess...

HE DIDN'T MATCH THE COLOR RIGHT (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Depending on how old the paint job was it could be a difference from sun fade or chemical breaksown (really the same thing).

It takes a talented painter to "panel paint" a part of the car. They would have to custom mix the paint. This takes great skill and even then you would be able to tell slightly.

The most common practice is to blend the color. This invloves paint some of the front fender and some of the back fender at the same time as the door. The painter just sort of "fades" teh new color into the old. Most of the time IF the color is matched close enough you will have a hard time telling.

Dude, get a new painter... this guy has no idea what he is doing (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 15 2005, 06:17 AM
Post #3

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

shit...

=\

M
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 15 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #4

Sorry I just re-read your (cleaned up?) post.

This is an all over WTF (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

All the above still applies. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER try to panel paint a car. 9 out 10 times it will look like this.

Different temps, humidity, air pressures, paint mixtures. All this will make the chance of getting a good paint job very remote.

The last statement stands as well... get a new painter. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 15 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Hey,
You Ohio guys!
Are you planning on spectating at the SCCA Runoffs at Mid-Ohio in a month? 914club Barbeque at our paddock on Saturday evening 9/24.

BTW,
sorry about the paint job. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 15 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #6

Hell ya Chris... first I heard of it but I am in.

PM me some details if ya get the chance. I will forward to Doug et all.

+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Aug 15 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #7

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would raise hell until he repaints the thing. It would obviously be pretty difficult for him to deny that he f'd it up.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 15 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

wow (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) . hate to add to the pain. why did he skip the longs and lip where the rockers lay in? i think that's going to show (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) the overspray on the control arm ends is a nice touch (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) . i take it he ran out of masking paper. bummer, sorry.

k
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 15 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Oh man, poor adobe! Is that a metallic? Those a super sensitive to matching. Even if not, it's got to all be painted on the same day. Even if he did mess up (even the best painters have bad days) he should never have returned the car to you in that condition.
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Aug 15 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,461

Sorry about your paint, BUT, it may not be the painters fault.

Years ago I bought a qt of Dupont paint for a flame job I was doing on a bike. None of the flames matched color, I thought it was me so stripped it down, did it again, still sucked, did it again, same results.

I'm scratching my head, I've already lost my butt on this job. Talking to a couple of friends, one tells me that Dupont put out new paint cans with a new type sealer in the seams that screws up the paint color.

Now, I'd already called the Dupont paint store a couple of times asking them if there was anything I'd done wrong, the F**KS didn't say a word.

I went back, mentioned what my friend had told me, they confirmed it, offered to replace my paint, but zip on my labor, gave me the "that's the extent of our liability", song and dance. I told them they were a sorry bunch of MF'ers, I don't want your crap paint, and will never buy from Dupont again and will let everyone know about their crap.

Switched to PPG, so far so good, but then they'd probably give me the same line of crap too. Too many damn lawyers and scumbags if you ask me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) Wow, haven't thought of that in years, it happened about 10-12 years ago, still pisses me off.

Could be the same thing for you, most paints are very forgiving, they have to be, they're not all going to be used in climate controlled enviorements (sp).

I painted my six one panel at a time in my driveway, then had to do her again after one guy backed over the front end while I was parked at Harbor Freight, and again after I lost it on turn 2 at Willow Springs Streets, tires hadn't warmed up yet, only doing 25-30 broke lose big time.

Hope it works out for you, take care, Don
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 15 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #11

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) dude, that sux.. that guy needs to be beaten! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chair.gif)

the fact he even let that leave his shop is a testament to how piss-poor his quality is... any shop with pride would have re-did it until it was right...
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Aug 15 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #12

Forgot something. Did you have a sealer coat shot before the color coats? If not, the original color can bleed thru, especially if it was a darker color.

One qt of sealer with put 2 coats on a 914, then you wet sand it lightly with 400, dry, wipe and shoot your color coats.

What ever happened, it should not have left the shop in that condition. If he doesn't correct the problem, your only recourse might be Small Claims Court. Take pictures, lots of pictures, also get a small voice operated tape recorder, go talk to him, let him see the recorder DO NOT hide it. If you hide it, then you're in the wrong. Take a friend with you as a witness.

It's amazing what the tape recorder will do, people start telling the truth, even goverment employees. I use one everytime I have to deal with the government and assholes in general. Works everytime.

You can find them real easy at most college book stores.

Good Luck, Don
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 15 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #13

wait until i provide transcripts of your reply to the dept of homeland security don. you won't be so clever then. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) there will be pictures, and lots of them!! and the tape recorder will be hidden.

k
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Aug 15 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 391

Whoa, that is a pretty bad mismatch! Just one word to cure it: GarageLosPanchos!
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Aug 15 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Screw homeland security, still a bunch of government jerks ripping off the people for nothing. Don't even get me started on government waste. Isn't homeland security the assholes that recently "lost" a couple of Billion. How do you lose a Billion, theft maybe?

They record me, so I record them, if you're afraid of a tape recorder, what are you trying to hide?

Use it, it's a shame you have to make people be honest, but who would you rather be, the screwer or the screwey, if you don't protect yourself, who will, and I'm tired of being ripped off by scumbags.

Rant over.

Sorry about the hijack, good luck on your paint. Later,Don
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 15 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #16

i like the brace of high end jetskis' that protect all the ferry boats up here. you never see them when puget sound has a 3' chop and the air temp is 45*. i'll stop before things get out of control and this thread gets locked down. happy monday ya'll.

k
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 15 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #17

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Even if a couple different cans of paint didn't match, that could easily be fixed by intermixing all the paint. There shouldn't be a base color mismatch. I primed that car myself, with a buff colored primer that would be a perfect base coat for that color. (the buff primer is how it got the name "adobe")

Isn't this the same painter that called that color "close" to signal orange?
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 15 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #18

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM)
Isn't this the same painter that called that color "close" to signal orange?

I think it is a good practice to avoid color-blind painters.

Andrew
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Aug 15 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #19

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881

QUOTE (DonTraver @ Aug 15 2005, 07:18 AM)
Sorry about your paint, BUT, it may not be the painters fault.

Doesn't matter. Faulty materials...not the customer's problem. Let the shop deal with that issue. He should have never returned the car looking like that.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Aug 15 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #20

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Man! When you called me last week to tell me, I had *NO* idea it was THAT bad.

I'd be at his door with a shotgun...I hope you kept most of the money you paid him for that mess.

Man...wow...poor adobe. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I'll call you this week...been a long one.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:46 AM