Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removable Rear Fog Light idea, ..looking for solutions
Jett
post Sep 9 2023, 10:32 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The rear light location looks right…. We also have a stock three position switch for the fog lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 9 2023, 11:14 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2023, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:05 PM) *

So, any other installation ideas?

Ok, i have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the factory location?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-346-1430619506_thumb.jpg)

Nothing at all wrong with it of course.. yes Porsche did a great job, I just like my idea better, and hopefully nobody that’s done one will be offended by my preference for an alternate location (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

Not that it’s much of an issue, but if anything, I personally like the idea of it being placed a little higher than normal. There’s a hell of a lot of 18 wheelers out running the interstates at night, it could be argued that a higher mount would be preferable, jmho.

Also, since I’d rarely need it locally, and might just prefer to leave it off when not on a road trip or during local inclement weather - the original location becomes less attractive as the bracket would remain visible or holes/plugs for it (though rare earth magnets were a recommendation earlier in the thread), electrical plug.

Doing one in the traditional way is easy enough, and I like it.. I’m not necessarily opposed, even permanently mounted. If I can’t find an ideal electrical plug, I may consider it.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 9 2023, 11:32 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 9 2023, 11:32 AM) *

The rear light location looks right…. We also have a stock three position switch for the fog lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hey @Jett , can you give me details on this? Are you saying that the stock 914 Foglight switch would incorporate the addition of a rear light… or that you’ve found a particularly good switch for adding a rear light? Thanks.

+Quote Post
73-914
post Sep 9 2023, 12:39 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 8 2023, 05:02 PM) *

What is the purpose of having a fog light pointed towards the rear? I know there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is backing out of a driveway on a REALLY foggy day?

Rear Fog light is RED like brake light and same wattage
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 9 2023, 02:16 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 9 2023, 10:32 AM) *

Hey @Jett , can you give me details on this? Are you saying that the stock 914 Foglight switch would incorporate the addition of a rear light… or that you’ve found a particularly good switch for adding a rear light? Thanks.

Yes please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 9 2023, 11:46 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 9 2023, 10:32 AM) *

We bought a 911 three position (including off) switch with 914 inset.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=fog++switch
+Quote Post
Cal
post Sep 10 2023, 05:51 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

The three position switch is actually a 914 part number. I have this switch mounted in my 914 and my SWB 911. Below are photos of both the stock 914 fog light switch and the three position switch along with the correct harness.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 10 2023, 07:58 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(Cal @ Sep 10 2023, 04:51 AM) *

The three position switch is actually a 914 part number. I have this switch mounted in my 914 and my SWB 911. Below are photos of both the stock 914 fog light switch and the three position switch along with the correct harness.

Thanks, I was not sure if it was the 911 or 914 part.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 10 2023, 12:19 PM
Post #29

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:46 PM) *

Yeah, I don’t want to get plowed into while driving cross country in the middle of the night thru a thick impromptu fog bank.. miles from a hotel. So a ticket would be preferable IF a cop would even see it as illegal. I wouldn’t tend to think they’d want to pull off to the side of the road for a BS offense either, because of the risk they’d get hit, JMHO. Besides you could point to many modern cars with rear fogs, as an on site defense - after explaining that it’s an original feature of this early ‘70s European based car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) . If he sites its height as the problem, I’d be really surprised, and pay up I guess. It wouldn’t be used unless absolutely needed and if removable DOT wouldn’t question it either (I usually get inspected at any ‘ol’ hole in the wall place anyway - always surprised how they fly thru the process).

So, I am going to tell a story of heavy fog on my way to Lake Tahoe when I was 19. I am driving in my 67 Cougar XR7, this is in 1972, the fog was so heavy I could hardly see anything. I really had to look very hard to see taillights on the cars in front of me.( I was looking so hard that my head was closer to the windshield as if that would help) Just as the fog lifted, I came on to a car with no rear taillights on or broken and for sure if that was 30 seconds before I would of smashed into this guy.

Just now reading this posting I flashed on this story. Now that I am 70, I do that more often.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:48 PM