Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED headlight issue, wiring hack
johnnymiz
post Apr 16 2024, 08:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,449
Region Association: South East States

i installed 914Rubber LED headlights. now, when i pull the fog light switch, the fog lights do not go on.. but the headlights switch to high beam. also, the high beam indicator doesnt light up in either case when the high beams are on.
assuming i know NOTHING about automobile wiring, how would i go about rectifying this.?
i saw in another thread to ground out the white/blue wire going to the number one fuse.
what, exactly, does that mean? do i have to take the fuse panel off the dash to get to it?
thanks in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 16 2024, 09:21 AM
Post #2

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 16 2024, 07:36 AM) *

i installed 914Rubber LED headlights. now, when i pull the fog light switch, the fog lights do not go on.. but the headlights switch to high beam. also, the high beam indicator doesnt light up in either case when the high beams are on.
assuming i know NOTHING about automobile wiring, how would i go about rectifying this.?
i saw in another thread to ground out the white/blue wire going to the number one fuse.
what, exactly, does that mean? do i have to take the fuse panel off the dash to get to it?
thanks in advance

Yes. Take the fuse panel down (just 2 screws holding it in under the dash I believe) and find the blue/white wire. Unplug it and connect it to the ground post above where the fuse panel sits under the dash. You'll need to change the spade connector on the wire to secure it to the post.

Pictures of the wire and the ground post here:
LED/Fog light fix
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 16 2024, 09:24 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 16 2024, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 16 2024, 07:36 AM) *

thanks in advance

Yes. Take the fuse panel down (just 2 screws holding it in under the dash I believe) and find the blue/white wire. Unplug it and connect it to the ground post above where the fuse panel sits under the dash. You'll need to change the spade connector on the wire to secure it to the post.

LED/Fog light fix

great. thank you so much
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 27 2024, 01:00 PM
Post #4

[quote name='johnnymiz' date='Apr 16 2024, 11:24 AM' post='3139874']
[quote name='rjames' post='3139873' date='Apr 16 2024, 11:21 AM']
[quote name='johnnymiz' post='3139866' date='Apr 16 2024, 07:36 AM']
thanks in advance
[/quote]

LED/Fog light fix
[/quote]
So, to be clear, i change the spade connector attached to the two white/blue wires that i took off the top of fuse 1 (the blue one), and attach it to the ground post...... Yes?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 27 2024, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Another pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 27 2024, 01:27 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 27 2024, 03:26 PM) *

Another pic

I just want to make sure i take the correct one off
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 27 2024, 02:51 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 27 2024, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 27 2024, 03:26 PM) *

Another pic

I just want to make sure i take the correct one off

Well, i got out my test meter and did some checks. That was the correct one.
Hooked it up and everything worked as advertised.
Next question.... is this circuit now unprotected? Should i install an inline fuse between my new ring connector at ground and the blue white wires?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 27 2024, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 27 2024, 04:51 PM) *

Next question.... is this circuit now unprotected? Should i install an inline fuse between my new ring connector at ground and the blue white wires?

You should be ok for fusing. Everything you've changed is behind fuses. All you did was ground the foglight negative wire.
+Quote Post
johnnymiz
post Apr 29 2024, 05:53 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 27 2024, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(johnnymiz @ Apr 27 2024, 04:51 PM) *

You should be ok for fusing. Everything you've changed is behind fuses. All you did was ground the foglight negative wire.

great. thank you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:27 AM