Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help with minor electrical problem, Radio and wipers
94teener
post Sep 13 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,636

The forth from the right (S8) is a good place for the radio. You could have connected it at the back of the cigarette lighter instead, it's electrically the same place.

The wipers look like a separate issure now.

Good luck at it,

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 13 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #22

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE (94teener @ Sep 13 2005, 02:10 PM)
MW914,  

You say you have power on Fuse S8 (Fourth from the right) when the ignition is on but, your radio and wipers don't work?

A couple of suggestions: Get a schematic (if you don't have one), and always disconnect the battery when moving wires or the fuse panel. There are way too many wires in this car which have a direct connection to the battery without a fuse.

Fuse 8 in my schematic operates the wipers, ciggy lighter, as well as the idiot light for oil pressure, blinkers, backup light, idiot light for the alternator, and low fuel light. If this circuit is dead, all of these should be out. Also Fuse 8 in my schematic is the fifth from the right.

When the key is in the on position with the engine off, the oil pressure and alternator lights should be out. Don't leave the key in the ON position with the engine on for long as the distributor points or coil could overheat or if you have a Pertronix unit, it could be damaged.

Fuses listed on my schematic are:

1. High beam left
2. High beam right
3. Dimmer left
4. Dimmer right
5. Clearance light left
6. Clearance light right
7. License plate light
8. Brake, Blinker, Backup light, wiper, cig lighter
9. Fresh air blower, Horn, Heater fan
10. Fog Lamp
11. Interior light, warning light, buzzer
12. Motor for retractable headlight.

Good luck

Spoke
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Sep 13 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #23

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Again, thanks for all the help. It looks like I'll take it to the shop for this one. All lights, lighters, horn, stereo etc work properly. Just no wipers.
+Quote Post
94teener
post Sep 13 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,636

It is easy to mistake S9 for S8 on the inadequate diagrams in the Haynes Manual and elsewhere, I know, I've done it but, the only thing S8 supplies power to are the lighter, wipers and fresh air blower.

Phil
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Sep 13 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #25

Now I am hell bent to fix this.

After reading Phil's post and upon a second evaluation, the lighter, fresh air fan and wipers are not working. So can I conclude that it is a problem with the fuse #8(counting 8 over from the left)? The fuse is good, I checked it, replaced it, checked it again, replaced it, checked it for continuity....again. The fuse is good. So what next?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 13 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #26

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (MW 914 @ Sep 13 2005, 03:43 PM)
Now I am hell bent to fix this.

After reading Phil's post and upon a second evaluation, the lighter, fresh air fan and wipers are not working. So can I conclude that it is a problem with the fuse #8(counting 8 over from the left)? The fuse is good, I checked it, replaced it, checked it again, replaced it, checked it for continuity....again. The fuse is good. So what next?

The fuse is good, but are you getting power to both sides of the fuse? The problem may be upstream of the fuse.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Sep 13 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #27

There isn't power on either side of the fuse...near as I can tell. Where would I check next? What is between the fuse panel and the power source(which I assume it the battery?)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 14 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #28

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Edit: From your above post, obviously you've checked the fuse location.

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you lost the whole circuit, you definitely lost the power side of the circuit, as opposed to the ground side. Logic being all those devices (wipers, lighter etc...) all have their own grounds.

Have you checked the offending fuse location for 12v? I can only assume if you moved the radio to a new location, you don't have 12v at the fuse. Use your test light and check that fuse location 12v. Then you can figure out if it is upstream or downstream.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 14 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #29

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE (MW 914 @ Sep 13 2005, 05:13 PM)
There isn't power on either side of the fuse...near as I can tell.  Where would I check next?  What is between the fuse panel and the power source(which I assume it the battery?)

If there's no power on the battery side of fuse 8, then the wire to the battery may have been toasted. If you can follow the wire to where it goes, check the power there. Again while you're tracing and moving wires, disconnect the battery.

Right by the fuse panel behind the speaker in the footwell, there's a +12V terminal lug which brings power from the battery with one fat wire, and distributes power to the fuse panel with several smaller wires. The bad wire may be terminated here. You may have to run a new wire from the this lug to the fuse panel. Disconnect the battery before doing any investigation.

Sorry to reiterate about disconnecting the battery but snap-crackle-pop are only good noises in Rice Crispies. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Spoke
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:08 AM