Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> ENGINE REMOVAL 10-9-05, Need Assistance
TINCAN914
post Oct 1 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Summer's Commin...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ok I'm ready to pull the motor next week I think
So I was wondering if I might be able to appeal to the kinder side of two or three or more of you, to come over and give me a hand. beer and BBQ is on me..... Not the cheap crap either. I'll go all out and splurge for the Shaffer... LOL..
Was hoping to do it next Saturday the 8th, any takers?
Say around 10:00 am......

Aaron you available? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
Elliot_Cannon
post Oct 2 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #41

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

I saw Brians car a few weeks ago. We pulled off both rocker panels and about a pound of dirt fell out of each side but not a lot of rust. We also pulled the battery, the FI brain and I think he was going to pull the fresh air blowers. What he needs is to expose everything and take care of the rust problems. I think he needs to do a lot of work with a wire brush attachment on his drill. I also noticed the right rear donut had a crack around it. A bit more welding to do and a whole lot of cleaning. I only had an hour or so and told him what I thought and I'm sure you guys will have a lot more good suggestions for him. It seemed, with the small amount of time I had with the car that the tub is in pretty good shape for the money.
It's great to have a new member and he is just a few minutes from Lagunero and me.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 2 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #42

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 2 2005, 04:57 PM)
Brian, sounds great!!!

We can have the motor out and on the ground in 45 mins tops. We got Aaron's out in just under 40 because his carb intakes were catching (he was only 8" off the ground) -- not counting all the other widgets we were fiddling with. (oel pump studs n stuff).

I'll bring an extra 2-ton floor jack and a creeper, and my triple-square (cheese-head). Don't forget a set of metric-hex-head sockets ranging from (at least) 6mm-10mm. 4mm-10mm preferred.

Go buy a can of PB Catalyst. Spray the engine bar mounts (you'll see them where the bar mounts to the body, by your heater flappers), spray the CV bolt mounts and also the little screws you will see in the engine bar. They've got a hex head on them, very small. Also buy a tube of Molybdenum grease (axle grease) and a box of large ziplock bags and a sharpie. You should be ready to rock (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Any other plans "while you're in there" ?

Ok will do this week. I wanted to doas much as I could ahead of time to expedite the process. More time for beer. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
I didn't have anything moreplanned to do immediatley, you have the time or suggestions? Being the newbie, if you guy's think I should be doing something at the same time, I'm open for suggestions..
+Quote Post
Brando
post Oct 2 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #43

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Whoops... hex-head bolts I meant are in the SHIFTER bar... First one is under the boot by the trans... loosen the hose-clamp (if the clamp and boot are there). You'll see the hex head for the conical screw in there.

Second one is in the shift bar by the firewall. Pull the accordian boot over the linkage there and spray the conical screw there. You should see the hex head of the screw from the bottom.

Let it set for a few days... If we're lucky those will come out easy!!!

I guess the real experts (skline, clayton, joe) will comment if I forgot anything???
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 2 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #44

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I'm not sure if I'm going to Thunderhill this weekend or not. I know one of the race cars is going, but I may send two techs up with it and wait to go north for the Sears event in a few weeks. IF I dont go I wouldnt mind showing up to help out.

B
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Oct 2 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #45

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

Just, talked to Brian, gave him a heads up, on some of the people that, responded to his post, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) I told him if I didn't work sat, I'd come by and supervise the children (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) from the CLUB (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Oct 3 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #46

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I'm gunna bring my good old trusty RED tool box with me just for Shi%s and Grins...

Ya just never know what we may need...

Why don't you spend a bit "O" time and make a list of all the stuff you might need for this project. And POST IT HERE..!!!!

At least if any of us has some extras we can bring em with us.

So what ya need?

C'Mon dude.. I have a storage full of parts. You will help me by helping you...

Twystd1
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Oct 3 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 2,042

This sounds likea good time, but I can't make it.
Make sure to grab "the" cv joint tool. The "four square" thingy. If everyone brings one, you'll be sure to have one. If you don't have one, you just end up spending a bunch of money on beer and nuthin' gets done.
my .02.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 3 2005, 09:06 AM
Post #48

Summer's Commin...

OK I will compile a list, and see what you guy's can come up with.
I really appreciate all the support, advice, etc.

Thanks Twystd1
And thanks to Richard for the phone call and advice...
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 3 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #49

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Oct 2 2005, 10:36 PM)
I'm gunna bring my good old trusty RED tool box with me just for Shi%s and Grins...

Ya just never know what we may need...

Why don't you spend a bit "O" time and make a list of all the stuff you might need for this project. And POST IT HERE..!!!!

At least if any of us has some extras we can bring em with us.

So what ya need?

C'Mon dude.. I have a storage full of parts. You will help me by helping you...

Twystd1

Ok was just sitting here thinking of a few things, perhaps I will come up with more.
The list will grow as I get further into the repairs.
Rear brake rotors, Calipers, Front trunk pan, front and rear bumpers. Prefer the style of the "75" model, I believe, I don't know if they can mount without a bunch of fab work. Need front dash, center console mounts under dash, battery tray. A welder to mount the tray as well as some minor welding repairs. There will be more... Mainly cosmetics, I'm sure there will be more mechanical parts once the engine is dropped. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Oct 3 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #50

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

Add one more to the list.
Bringing a lil floor jack, and uhhh.... well a floor jack.

These things are really easy, all the hard bolts have been covered thus far.

See everyone sat.

BJH (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 3 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #51

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Oct 3 2005, 08:53 AM)
Add one more to the list.
Bringing a lil floor jack, and uhhh.... well a floor jack.

These things are really easy, all the hard bolts have been covered thus far.

See everyone sat.

BJH (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

You going to be over Hippy? Would nice to meet another person. I would like to get an idea of how many will be there. Want to make sure I got plenty of food and beer... Looking forward to puting faces with names..
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Oct 3 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #52

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

The Warden approved it (thanks dear), so i'm there.

It's a nice drive from Camarillo.

BJH
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 3 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #53

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Oct 3 2005, 09:11 AM)
The Warden approved it (thanks dear), so i'm there.

It's a nice drive from Camarillo.

BJH
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

Ah I also refer to my wife as the Warden. Great look forward to meeting you. Should be a nice turn out...
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Oct 4 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #54

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

NOTE TO Bmunday:

I'm in this for the food. I know nothing about cars.
I think Aaron is a fictional charachter of some guy named Skline.
The parts I have in my storage are for an Edsel.
I heard your cousin was hot.
My real name is Richard Simmons and I hang out at 914 events to feel important.

Twystd1

Hey... if you can order a battery tray from PP or HPH or wherever you can get one before Saturday..

Maybe someone will loan us a MIG and we can throw it in...

Anyone have a PORTABLE MIG 110VAC?????

Hey, bmunday,

Do you have the tools to grind and clean metal?

Do you have a compressor?

Do you have a cute neighbor chick that likes middle aged men?
(Don't even go there Slits)

Do your friends really call you Bmunday? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

See ya on Saturday... WHAT TIME BRO?

And it looks like MattR may come on down to lend some kind of wierd relational data nano scripting to your blinker fluid. He was with Albert tonight and said he might show up..

Just spoke to Skline. He might be coming also. I will let ya know whom I KNOW is coming on Friday.....

LateRZzzzz.

Twystd1
+Quote Post
bottomend
post Oct 4 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 4,683

Well, my prior commitment for saturday is on. I'm helping fellow board member kdfoust install a flat six into his ride. I'm sure you guys will have enough folks to assist. I was REALLY looking froward to meeting a bunch of 914 guys. I'm on the bay window forum over at teh samba and we're all spread out across teh country. I never meet anyone... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Not to highjack or anything thing but...It did take 3 of us 6 + hours to get the engine out. The car had to be jacked up a rediculous amount to get everything to clear. The jacking by itself took 25 minutes! We had to cut pieces of wood to put under the jack stands and stack them safely ect. It probably took a good hour to unhook everything and do the labels too. ( L-jet).

If you guys can get it out in an hour, I'd like to know your technique. granted, we had never done this before but even I was amazed at how diffecult this job was!
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 4 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #56

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

I am thinking that you and Kevin should come over at least to watch. If I dont have to work, I will be there. I have dropped an engine and tranny in less than an hour by myself. As the locals will tell you, I had a lot of practice. If I can get my speedo drive gear fixed in the Chalon, I may drive it down, otherwise, it will be the truck and some parts for you. I know I have a good set of rear rotors here. I also have a few jacks and stands too. Tell Kevin (Kdfoust) to wait on his car and then we will all go over to his house and help him with his car. Is he doing the 6 in his green car? I was wondering what happened to him, he used to come out to all of our runs and events. Great guy. I may be working tonight which would put me in line to work again this weekend but maybe it will be Sunday and not Saturday. We will see.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Oct 4 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Oct 3 2005, 11:25 PM)
And it looks like MattR may come on down to lend some kind of wierd relational data nano scripting to your blinker fluid. He was with Albert tonight and said he might show up..

This is the second time in as many posts where the aadmin and scotty get mentioned in your post above me. Whats up dude!?! After all the things we've... done... this is what I get? Man, you're ugly.

Me and the Mexican will be there. I'll run by Kragen and get some blinker fluid on my way... I'm sure we'll need it.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 4 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #58

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

-I dont exist, but your beer will disapear- (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 4 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #59

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE (MattR @ Oct 4 2005, 07:58 AM)

This is the second time in as many posts where the aadmin and scotty get mentioned in your post above me. Whats up dude!?! After all the things we've... done... this is what I get? Man, you're ugly.

Me and the Mexican will be there. I'll run by Kragen and get some blinker fluid on my way... I'm sure we'll need it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) While your there, can you pick up some horn fluid as well?
Looking forward to meeting some of the people on this board..
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 4 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #60

Summer's Commin...

NOTE TO Bmunday:

I'm in this for the food. I know nothing about cars.
I think Aaron is a fictional charachter of some guy named Skline.
The parts I have in my storage are for an Edsel.
I heard your cousin was hot.
My real name is Richard Simmons and I hang out at 914 events to feel important.

Twystd1

Hey... if you can order a battery tray from PP or HPH or wherever you can get one before Saturday..

Maybe someone will loan us a MIG and we can throw it in...

Anyone have a PORTABLE MIG 110VAC?????

Hey, bmunday,

Do you have the tools to grind and clean metal?

Do you have a compressor?

Do you have a cute neighbor chick that likes middle aged men?
(Don't even go there Slits)

Do your friends really call you Bmunday?  :blink:

See ya on Saturday... WHAT TIME BRO?

Just spoke to Skline. He might be coming also. I will let ya know whom I KNOW is coming on Friday.....

LateRZzzzz.

Twystd1

Ok first and foremost. You hear my cousin was hot?????? Did I miss the buss on that one? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) You guy's are begining to scare me. Maybe I should tell the wife to gather the dogs and leave for the day...

I don't have a compressor unfortunatley.. Don't have a grinder. Limited to a couple of sanders. I guess I need to invest some cash in tools.. Try to convince the wife of that..
My real name is Brian Munday, bmunday is a bit of a lame screen name I know, but I lack creativity some times.
I was hoping to start between 9:00-10:00 is that to early? I didn't want to take everyones Saturday if they had other things to do. Earlier the better, more time for food drink and socializing. No hot neighbor chicks sorry.... Married mid life.
I don't know JACK about cars, just the basics, but love this car.
No friends call me Bri or "B".

Richard you going to do anther exercise video? You know Leisure World is close by maybe you can drop by for a autograph session... The Blue hairs love you... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
All in fun...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:41 PM