Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGINE REMOVAL 10-9-05
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
TINCAN914
Ok I'm ready to pull the motor next week I think
So I was wondering if I might be able to appeal to the kinder side of two or three or more of you, to come over and give me a hand. beer and BBQ is on me..... Not the cheap crap either. I'll go all out and splurge for the Shaffer... LOL..
Was hoping to do it next Saturday the 8th, any takers?
Say around 10:00 am......

Aaron you available? beer.gif

Brian
Brando
8th is a saturday.

Where's Lake Forest? Work sundays so if it's a saturday and within range I can lend a hand.
JB 914
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 1 2005, 12:39 PM)
Ok I'm ready to pull the motor next week I think
So I was wondering if I might be able to appeal to the kinder side of two or three or more of you, to come over and give me a hand. beer and BBQ is on me..... Not the cheap crap either. I'll go all out and splurge for the Shaffer... LOL..
Was hoping to do it next Sunday the 8th, any takers?

Brian

Brando LOVES BUD Right Brando? beer.gif

PM me the address and i'll try and come by if i don't get my stuff back from the machine shop.

I'll try and Bring Skline and his sledgehammer smash.gif
Brando
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Oct 1 2005, 11:44 AM)
Brando LOVES BUD Right Brando? beer.gif

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

Have some REAL beer... Notice it's not see-through beer3.gif smile.gif
TINCAN914
Sorry I changed the date and not the day.Saturday would be great. The 8th.
Lake Forest, is just south of the El Toro "Y", where the 5 and 405 meet... North of Mission Viejo.
Brando
Please post or PM the address, thanks smile.gif
TINCAN914
I am off of the Lake FOrest exit off of the 5 fwy, just South of the "Y", 5 and 405 meet.
If you familiar with the area, I live next to El Toro High School. If you ant directions, PM me and I will do the best I can.

Oh Brando, Crap beer is not allowed in my house.... If it's see through it ain't beer...
Dos Equis, Negro Modello, Sam Adams ok? beerchug.gif
TINCAN914
icon_bump.gif Come on free beer and food..???? I really don't need more then one or two guy's but wouldn't mind meeting the of the people on the board.... Beer is still free... Just drive your teenss if you can, I would just like to dream about driving one...
Brando
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 1 2005, 01:42 PM)
icon_bump.gif  Come on free beer and food..????

Hey AARON he's singin your song!

Put me down on the attendees list smash.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Well, move to Portland and I'll be glad to help out...and I like see-thru beer lol2.gif The northwest micro-brews are wasted on me.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 1 2005, 02:11 PM)

Thanks Brando, see you then. I really appreciate it ...
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 1 2005, 02:11 PM)
Well, move to Portland and I'll be glad to help out...and I like see-thru beer lol2.gif The northwest micro-brews are wasted on me.

beer3.gif Toby, There are some great micro brews, I have just become partial to the darker beers..
Hop in your car and drive on down... I'll buy you some micro beer..
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 1 2005, 03:11 PM)

I MAY BE IN....
lagunero
Hi Brian, I'll swing by. Elliot will be out of town but I'm sure you'll have more people than you bargained for. Need any tools? I'll give you a call.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (lagunero @ Oct 1 2005, 03:31 PM)
Hi Brian, I'll swing by. Elliot will be out of town but I'm sure you'll have more people than you bargained for. Need any tools? I'll give you a call.

Hey Alberto come on over. I'm sure more will show then is necessary, but that's ok. I would like the opportunity to meet some of the people on the board.
I don't think I need any tools, someone might know better. I have all the basics... I will go down and get a dolly this week, but other then that I think I'm ok. Pulled the exhaust system today, about as far as I feel real comfortable in going without some direction....
TINCAN914
Shameless bump.. Sorry..
Twystd1
Yup.. I'm down... BBBBuuuuRrrrPppp... (Wheeeww..Burrito's)

What time you want us there?

What do you want me to bring? Food? Drink? Skline?

You got any single chicks coming?

I can bring tools..

Aaron & MattR should come just to drink your beer..

Slits should come to tell the stories about the building of the Acropolis in Athens.

By the way... Why are you pulling the engine?

Last: What parts do you need for this car. Maybe we gots some parts for you???

Twystd1
Brando
Shit, i might not be able to make it. the PCA RSR A-X is on the 8th... 7AM-2PM.

hey bmunday... any chance you can convince joe sharp to trailer it to the A-X? We could get the engine out in a jiffy. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 1 2005, 09:26 PM)
Shit, i might not be able to make it. the PCA RSR A-X is on the 8th... 7AM-2PM.

hey bmunday... any chance you can convince joe sharp to trailer it to the A-X? We could get the engine out in a jiffy. biggrin.gif

doh....

JB 914
I'm out. gotta work the ring toss booth at the school carnival wacko.gif

It's a shame. Disassembly seems to be my strongest area of these cars. rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
Brian - i should be in. Its more fun than a day Autocross anyway... (and doesnt cost 50 bucks smile.gif )
TINCAN914
It's moer fun then Autocross? You feeling ok?
Hey I appreciate it Aaron, I can't thank you guy's enough. Beer and chow is on me. Anyone that needs directions, PM I will send directinos.
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2005, 11:29 PM)
Brian - i should be in. Its more fun than a day Autocross anyway... (and doesnt cost 50 bucks smile.gif )

Yeah... who wants to race with a buncha pinky-lifters anyhow?? dry.gif

Count me in Brian. The A-X will just be too costly.

bottomend
I may be able to help. I'm new to the 914's ( one month of ownership!) but I've already pulled my engine and it's not disasemmbled and waiting for all the little parts to go back it.

I may be helping a guy put a 911 engine in his 914 next weekend. If not, I'm all yours.

Advice... start soaking the CV bolts NOW. A 3 hour engine drop turned into 6+ hours of hell because of ONE STUPID BOLT!!!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bottomend @ Oct 2 2005, 02:16 PM)
I may be able to help. I'm new to the 914's ( one month of ownership!) but I've already pulled my engine and it's not disasemmbled and waiting for all the little parts to go back it.

I may be helping a guy put a 911 engine in his 914 next weekend. If not, I'm all yours.

Advice... start soaking the CV bolts NOW. A 3 hour engine drop turned into 6+ hours of hell because of ONE STUPID BOLT!!!!

and the outboard engine mount bolts. they tend to sieze up (engine bar to body)
Trekkor
Two guys should have the engine\trans on the ground in ONE hour.

The hardest part is scotting the disconnected CV joint\axles over the top of the motor as you pull it out.

With four guys or more: light BBQ, pull motor, coals are ready, cook!

Serious...

KT
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 2 2005, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2005, 11:29 PM)

Yeah... who wants to race with a buncha pinky-lifters anyhow?? dry.gif

Count me in Brian. The A-X will just be too costly.

Brando,

I was thinking between 9 & 10 am. But when ever everyone can show up.

Bottomend. hey the help would be great. I don't know that there will be that much work, but I will have plenty of cold beer. Always niceto meet new people.. beer.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Oct 1 2005, 05:34 PM)
Yup.. I'm down... BBBBuuuuRrrrPppp... (Wheeeww..Burrito's)

What do you want me to bring? Food? Drink? Skline?

You got any single chicks coming?

I can bring tools..

Aaron & MattR should come just to drink your beer..

Slits should come to tell the stories about the building of the Acropolis in Athens.

By the way... Why are you pulling the engine?

Last: What parts do you need for this car. Maybe we gots some parts for you???

Twystd1

Twystd1

No need to bring anything, appreciate the help. Sorry man no single chicks. MAybe you can convince Aaron to wear a wig... mueba.gif
There will be plenty of beer, so Aaron and Matt can have at it.
Pulling the engine to tear ir down and clean it up, just the basics...
Needs, I got a list a mile long.. How about a running clean teener biggrin.gif I need a front trunk pan / belly... Mine is rusted out.. dash, battery tray. yadda,yadda,yadda.....
Aaron Cox
got a welder?

maybe one of us can come up with a front trunk piece for you....
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 01:43 PM)
got a welder?

No I don't, I was going to get the pan and call Joe.... It might be my next investment...
Anyone have a floor jack I can barrow to pull the motor? I figure it would make the process easier...
I have the basics in tools, anything special other then beer, I might need to go and get before Saturday?
TINCAN914
Ok I count.
Aaron
MattR (possible) Didn't hear from him, but the name was mentioned..
Brando
Alberto
Twystd1
Bottomend, (possible)
Anyone else? Want tomake sure I Have enough beer and food. Again anyone that wants to drop by just to say hey and have a few beers, or soemthing else cold is welcome too. PM me if you need address phone or directions...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 2 2005, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 01:43 PM)
got a welder?

No I don't, I was going to get the pan and call Joe.... It might be my next investment...
Anyone have a floor jack I can barrow to pull the motor? I figure it would make the process easier...
I have the basics in tools, anything special other then beer, I might need to go and get before Saturday?

You have 1) jack
and min 2) jackstands?

just position the jack under the hump of the motor and balance....
im sure we can scrounge an extra jack...
TINCAN914
Well it's up on jack stands now, (4) and I do have a jack...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 2 2005, 02:52 PM)
Well it's up on jack stands now, (4) and I do have a jack...

we are set. biggrin.gif

how high off the ground?
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 2 2005, 02:52 PM)
Well it's up on jack stands now, (4) and I do have a  jack...

we are set. biggrin.gif

how high off the ground?

About 13" Should it be higher? How high? Would like to have it set up before you guy's sho make it as easy as possible..
Elliot_Cannon
Hi Brian,
I get home Friday night and if I'm not totally jet-lagged I'll try to be there. Remember to send your wife and kids away for the day and don't give these guys any food or beer till at least some work gets done on the car.
Cheers, Elliot
TINCAN914
Hey Elliot,

How's things? I was a little worried about having the wife around.. My kids are already a bit mental, so I'm not to concerned.. biggrin.gif
If your up for coming over I will have a cold one for ya..

Any prefrence from you guy's on what you want to eat? ( I know this is like playing with fire), but thought I would ask.
No lobster, crab, or porter house... I was thinking burgers, chicken, sandwiches, the wife makes some killer home made burritos, marinaded beef all day long...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 2 2005, 03:52 PM)
Hey Elliot,

How's things? I was a little worried about having the wife around.. My kids are already a bit mental, so I'm not to concerned.. biggrin.gif

Any prefrence from you guy's on what you want to eat? ( I know this is like playing with fire), but thought I would ask.
No lobster, crab, or porter house... I was thinking burgers, chicken, sandwiches, the wife makes some killer home made burritos, marinaded beef all day long...

cook whatever you want...and if you want. my help is there regardless....

and - what do you want us to bring? chowtime.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 2 2005, 03:52 PM)
Hey Elliot,

cook whatever you want...and if you want. my help is there regardless....

and - what do you want us to bring? chowtime.gif

Aaron I appreciate it...
No need tobring anything, unless there is something special in the way of tools that we might need. I can't imagine needing anything that I don't ave other then a floor jack, but what do I know.. biggrin.gif
Brando
Brian, sounds great!!!

We can have the motor out and on the ground in 45 mins tops. We got Aaron's out in just under 40 because his carb intakes were catching (he was only 8" off the ground) -- not counting all the other widgets we were fiddling with. (oel pump studs n stuff).

I'll bring an extra 2-ton floor jack and a creeper, and my triple-square (cheese-head). Don't forget a set of metric-hex-head sockets ranging from (at least) 6mm-10mm. 4mm-10mm preferred.

Go buy a can of PB Catalyst. Spray the engine bar mounts (you'll see them where the bar mounts to the body, by your heater flappers), spray the CV bolt mounts and also the little screws you will see in the engine bar. They've got a hex head on them, very small. Also buy a tube of Molybdenum grease (axle grease) and a box of large ziplock bags and a sharpie. You should be ready to rock beer.gif

Any other plans "while you're in there" ?
Elliot_Cannon
I saw Brians car a few weeks ago. We pulled off both rocker panels and about a pound of dirt fell out of each side but not a lot of rust. We also pulled the battery, the FI brain and I think he was going to pull the fresh air blowers. What he needs is to expose everything and take care of the rust problems. I think he needs to do a lot of work with a wire brush attachment on his drill. I also noticed the right rear donut had a crack around it. A bit more welding to do and a whole lot of cleaning. I only had an hour or so and told him what I thought and I'm sure you guys will have a lot more good suggestions for him. It seemed, with the small amount of time I had with the car that the tub is in pretty good shape for the money.
It's great to have a new member and he is just a few minutes from Lagunero and me.
Cheers, Elliot
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 2 2005, 04:57 PM)
Brian, sounds great!!!

We can have the motor out and on the ground in 45 mins tops. We got Aaron's out in just under 40 because his carb intakes were catching (he was only 8" off the ground) -- not counting all the other widgets we were fiddling with. (oel pump studs n stuff).

I'll bring an extra 2-ton floor jack and a creeper, and my triple-square (cheese-head). Don't forget a set of metric-hex-head sockets ranging from (at least) 6mm-10mm. 4mm-10mm preferred.

Go buy a can of PB Catalyst. Spray the engine bar mounts (you'll see them where the bar mounts to the body, by your heater flappers), spray the CV bolt mounts and also the little screws you will see in the engine bar. They've got a hex head on them, very small. Also buy a tube of Molybdenum grease (axle grease) and a box of large ziplock bags and a sharpie. You should be ready to rock beer.gif

Any other plans "while you're in there" ?

Ok will do this week. I wanted to doas much as I could ahead of time to expedite the process. More time for beer. beerchug.gif
I didn't have anything moreplanned to do immediatley, you have the time or suggestions? Being the newbie, if you guy's think I should be doing something at the same time, I'm open for suggestions..
Brando
Whoops... hex-head bolts I meant are in the SHIFTER bar... First one is under the boot by the trans... loosen the hose-clamp (if the clamp and boot are there). You'll see the hex head for the conical screw in there.

Second one is in the shift bar by the firewall. Pull the accordian boot over the linkage there and spray the conical screw there. You should see the hex head of the screw from the bottom.

Let it set for a few days... If we're lucky those will come out easy!!!

I guess the real experts (skline, clayton, joe) will comment if I forgot anything???
Brad Roberts
I'm not sure if I'm going to Thunderhill this weekend or not. I know one of the race cars is going, but I may send two techs up with it and wait to go north for the Sears event in a few weeks. IF I dont go I wouldnt mind showing up to help out.

B
Type 4 Unleashed
Just, talked to Brian, gave him a heads up, on some of the people that, responded to his post, happy11.gif I told him if I didn't work sat, I'd come by and supervise the children smash.gif from the CLUB biggrin.gif
Twystd1
I'm gunna bring my good old trusty RED tool box with me just for Shi%s and Grins...

Ya just never know what we may need...

Why don't you spend a bit "O" time and make a list of all the stuff you might need for this project. And POST IT HERE..!!!!

At least if any of us has some extras we can bring em with us.

So what ya need?

C'Mon dude.. I have a storage full of parts. You will help me by helping you...

Twystd1
Dead Air
This sounds likea good time, but I can't make it.
Make sure to grab "the" cv joint tool. The "four square" thingy. If everyone brings one, you'll be sure to have one. If you don't have one, you just end up spending a bunch of money on beer and nuthin' gets done.
my .02.
TINCAN914
OK I will compile a list, and see what you guy's can come up with.
I really appreciate all the support, advice, etc.

Thanks Twystd1
And thanks to Richard for the phone call and advice...
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Oct 2 2005, 10:36 PM)
I'm gunna bring my good old trusty RED tool box with me just for Shi%s and Grins...

Ya just never know what we may need...

Why don't you spend a bit "O" time and make a list of all the stuff you might need for this project. And POST IT HERE..!!!!

At least if any of us has some extras we can bring em with us.

So what ya need?

C'Mon dude.. I have a storage full of parts. You will help me by helping you...

Twystd1

Ok was just sitting here thinking of a few things, perhaps I will come up with more.
The list will grow as I get further into the repairs.
Rear brake rotors, Calipers, Front trunk pan, front and rear bumpers. Prefer the style of the "75" model, I believe, I don't know if they can mount without a bunch of fab work. Need front dash, center console mounts under dash, battery tray. A welder to mount the tray as well as some minor welding repairs. There will be more... Mainly cosmetics, I'm sure there will be more mechanical parts once the engine is dropped. beerchug.gif
Crazyhippy
Add one more to the list.
Bringing a lil floor jack, and uhhh.... well a floor jack.

These things are really easy, all the hard bolts have been covered thus far.

See everyone sat.

BJH biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.