Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> upgread power??, hi guys im new here and i need help..
bender
post Oct 4 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,910

hi guys
i want to upgread my 1973 1.8 engine
i want 2 stay with 4 cyl and i want around 150-180 hp
were can i do it?
how?
kits?
do you know prices range?
thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 64)
Brett W
post Oct 6 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Are you saying that I couldn't afford to drive it or that no one else could?? Trust me, the guy that did own it could and did afford to drive it EVEN IN ATLANTA TRAFFIC pretty much on a daily basis.

The Average joe can't afford to drive such a car on a daily basis. I have no idea what you could afford or not.

Thats according to what "Real World" you live in... In my world cool things like this pop up from time to time!

It is cool from a a historical stand point. That engine was a hell of an engine for its time. Most folks will never see such a car outside of a museum or controlled car show setiing. Obviously there are exceptions that statement. I only see work on some lowly 500-800HP rice, 300+hp rotaries, HSR 2.0 Club Sport Cars, and ricey bike motor powered formula cars. We deal with a different clientele.

Whats wrong, you can't change a few simple bushings and use some common sense to install some spherical bearings to support the shift rod a tad better?

Bushngs aren't the problem. It is the basic design of the tranny. The shifter throw is like a damn rowboat, the synchros in the tranny are such an archaic design, and the linkage is a mile long. I do away with the stock linkage and go to a nice cable shifter. I doubt there is a racer on the planet that thinks the stock shifter is the fastest way around the track. It takes way to long to shift. Its and internal design problem. I can assure you the stock Boxster shifter is not near as shitty.

The car has new rubber. It just doesn't fit the same on all the cars I have worked on. That is nothing that can't be overcome with some time but, since I don't daily drive one anymore it is not on my list of things to worry about.

Use thicker oil, or make sure it doesn't "Get that hot"....

It's not rocket science..... Jeez, I'm sure someone with your skills could conquer it, hell I'm a dumbass but my teener don't leak and until diesels can turn 8500 RPM it won't be sounding like one either!
Use thicker oil, or make sure it doesn't "Get that hot"....

Why the hell should I have "run thicker oil". If the engine didn't grow three times what a water cooled engine does, I shouldn't need to. It never got "that" hot.

We will never agree on this and I don't much care to. I drive what I drive because I think it is a better way to do it. We can always go to the track and see what is faster, and not any of that dragstrip crap.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 6 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #62

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (bender @ Oct 4 2005, 11:26 AM)
hi guys
i want to upgread my 1973 1.8 engine
i want 2 stay with 4 cyl and i want around 150-180 hp
were can i do it?
how?
kits?
do you know prices range?
thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hijackers!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)

Bender, find a good used 2.0 and run that or
get a big bore kit for your motor.

1911cc seems to be the favorite build up on the cheap based on a 1.7-1.8 motor.

fresh rings, valves, hoses and all the gaskets will do wonders.

KT
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 6 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #63

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Getting big HP will be expensive...

Drive what you have, make it reliable and safe.
Do a bigger motor or a conversion after you have done your homework.

KT
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 6 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #64

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yep-
I just realized how bad we hijacked this one...

Sorry dude- Brett and I will argue somewhere else.
+Quote Post
bug man nrg
post Oct 6 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 4,811

type4 can turbo for quite cheap if you have the time and welding skills .As for the efi set up there are a lot out there and they all do the same thing from fuel to timimg and a lot of thing that you will not need .if you have a 2.0 type4 with a mild turbo efi set up you can see 180 daily driver .any thing over this is hand full to drive day to day .
Do your home work befor you spend your cash (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) .i do not know what all the fuss is over when you get the power you will not use it unles you are at the track trust me i have the power and it is not all it is cracked up to be .
180-200hp is a lot of fun
I drive around with low boost @ 230hp this a good daily driver on high boost you just hang on and hope for the best
www.emeraldperformance.com
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:22 AM