Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price of Jake's 2270cc, With all bells & whilses
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #101

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I could have written for days, but I figured an hour or so was enough..
What one hell of a way to start a week!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 28 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #102

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 28 2005, 01:01 PM)
ok, thanks Jake for the post, clears up a few things (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) w/Geoff.....

basicly it appears to be "feature" creep, the buyer kept adding options...we've all been guilty of that whether buying a new car, a new house or a even a pizza (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #103

Engine Surgeon

Absolutely.... I can post that entire portion of the proposal... The customer has to INITIAL next to the option they want to add. The inclusive options are added into the cost of the NEW PARTS and their labor to install is also added in to the flat labor rate.

This way the customer is in control- not me and they can spend as much as they want making the engine better, or just stay with the base engine as it includes everything they need for the bold price listed before options are even mentioned.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Nov 28 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #104

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Jake, I am satisified.

Very professional and glad you waited for the shit to float to the bottom of the ocean before your reply.

Hopefully you hold no animosity toward our posts. We now know all the facts. What I learned is that many of our 914er's need more standard built motors and they need to learn to ask questions (business 101).

Case Closed, we all learned something.

Tom
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #105

Engine Surgeon

Very professional and glad you waited for the shit to float to the bottom of the ocean before your reply

well all except for the grammar from hell and multiple type-Os... LOL

I was away at the new house working all weekend and only came back here once to grab the specs for flat vws engine tune up and didn't see this till I logged in today..... It just so happens that it worked out well because I was able to see it when I had plenty of time to reply and had a few avenues to blow off some steam that didn't show me going burzerk!

Like my dad always says " A littlie bit of good comes out of everything bad".. Thats exactly how my proposal evolved from 2 paragraphs to over 4 solid pages! Its also the thing that has developed every engine that I have ever built.....

I used to have a sample proposal on my site- looks like its time to reload that puppy and get a better system at the same time.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 28 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #106

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Jake, I applaud you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

All the money and business stuff aside.
You kept your cool and I respect you for that.

I'll never spend that kind of money for *ANY* motor.

Then again, there are prospective clients of mine who won't *EVER* pay what I ask for my tile work either.

You have enough work to get you by... So do I. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Nov 28 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #107

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2005, 12:30 PM)
I was away at the new house working all weekend and only came back here once to grab the specs for flat vws engine tune up ...

thanks again, Jake,

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

+Quote Post
Lou W
post Nov 28 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #108

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/popcorn[1].gif)

trekkor Posted on Nov 28 2005, 02:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake, I applaud you  

All the money and business stuff aside.
You kept your cool and I respect you for that.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Nov 28 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 4,634

Wow, this was interesting. After I get the practice paid off, it will take me between 3 and 6 months to afford it, but none of this has changed any of my plans. I still think young Mr. Raby needs to have a business manager to deal with the money end, that is the direction all your headaches will come from.

I wonder why 13 of the last 14 flake outs have been 914's, maybe the cars they were going to put the motors in rusted away and disintegrated in the intervening period.
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Nov 28 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #110

QUOTE (trekkor @ Nov 28 2005, 01:05 PM)
Then again, there are prospective clients of mine who won't *EVER* pay what I ask for my tile work either.

A pal of my used to say, "The most one will ever "get" of a given market is 50%".....

"Because there is 25% you don't want, and another 25% who don't want you"........

John
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #111

Engine Surgeon

Trekkor, Keeping my cool was very hard- I have to admit... But i saw that all the negative posts originated simply because the story had not been fully told.

Most of the costs of my engines are in their parts- as you can clearly see... My labor was not even 1/4 of even the price tag that was approaching 20K fully optioned.

The time has come for standardized 2270 and 2316 engines, while they will benefit from developments that come from the Super Hero engines... Custom builds (at least for 914 applications) will be limited only to Super Hero base engines..
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Nov 28 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #112

Family

Member No.: 607

Jake,

I think the problem lies in the secrecy that you use to run your business. I understand that there are competitive issues that are forcing this behavior. But when you get into a group like this one, that sort of behavior tends to create gossip.

So the line you are walking, what to disclose and what not to disclose, fuels the rumor mill. It sucks because there are people that will use your hard work as their own, but that seems to be a cost of doing business.

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain. It's good to know what custom engines costs.

Good response BTW.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Nov 28 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #113

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

KaptKaos Posted on Nov 28 2005, 02:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake,

I think the problem lies in the secrecy that you use to run your business. I understand that there are competitive issues that are forcing this behavior. But when you get into a group like this one, that sort of behavior tends to create gossip.

So the line you are walking, what to disclose and what not to disclose, fuels the rumor mill. It sucks because there are people that will use your hard work as their own, but that seems to be a cost of doing business.

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain. It's good to know what custom engines costs.

Good response BTW.  

Good Point (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #114

Engine Surgeon

Did Colenol Sanders ever release the recipe for KFC?? How about Coca Cola- anyone have the recipe handy?? Nope....

Most people don't know exactly what I do differently from the other guys that makes more power and doesn't hurt the longevity of the engine- in fact not even Brent does!

I learned long ago that as soon as one does anything different and makes themselves noticed the gossip and rumors begin... It sucks because I have the same kind of stress that a damn politician would have, but I don't get all their fring benefits!

I also learned long ago that success brings enemies, Thomas edison learned the same thing about 75 years before I was born. He didn't let it bother him, he used it as fuel for his fire and I try like hell to do the same thing. I don't mind the fact that some people absolutely can't stand me, because I have made those happy that have followed my path and gave me their money and those are the only ones that I have to please when it comes down to judgement day... Most of those that hate me, don't know me or they are jealous because they'd love to be doing what I do but they lack the drive to do it efffectively- it pisses them off and it shopuld because they CAN do it, if they dedicate themselves to it.

I have no special talemnt, and I work with tools not a magic wand. I have not done anything that anyone else can't do with the same amount of trial, eror, experienece and dedication... The difference is I don't mind taking risks and I don't mind spending more money than I make to keep developing things- thats the secret recipe.

+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Nov 28 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #115

Family

Member No.: 607

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2005, 02:21 PM)
Did Colenol Sanders ever release the recipe for KFC?? How about Coca Cola- anyone have the recipe handy?? Nope....

Most people don't know exactly what I do differently from the other guys that makes more power and doesn't hurt the longevity of the engine- in fact not even Brent does!

I learned long ago that as soon as one does anything different and makes themselves noticed the gossip and rumors begin... It sucks because I have the same kind of stress that a damn politician would have, but I don't get all their fring benefits!

I also learned long ago that success brings enemies, Thomas edison learned the same thing about 75 years before I was born. He didn't let it bother him, he used it as fuel for his fire and I try like hell to do the same thing. I don't mind the fact that some people absolutely can't stand me, because I have made those happy that have followed my path and gave me their money and those are the only ones that I have to please when it comes down to judgement day... Most of those that hate me, don't know me or they are jealous because they'd love to be doing what I do but they lack the drive to do it efffectively- it pisses them off and it shopuld because they CAN do it, if they dedicate themselves to it.

I have no special talemnt, and I work with tools not a magic wand. I have not done anything that anyone else can't do with the same amount of trial, eror, experienece and dedication... The difference is I don't mind taking risks and I don't mind spending more money than I make to keep developing things- thats the secret recipe.

My post was in the context of this group and forum. Not so much about your paying customers. I think we all would like the ability to get one of your motors. Not knowing what that really means is part of the fuel for this rumor mill.

I wouldn't disclose anything either. I just wanted to give my opinion on why this subject/thread got as much attention as it did.
+Quote Post
cardiaceagle
post Nov 28 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 2,335

This way the customer is in control- not me

BTDT.....can't run my jobs (home building) that way.....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 28 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #117

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2005, 03:21 PM)

genuine KFC secret recipe
2  cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1  tbsp celery salt
1  tbsp black pepper
1  tbsp dry mustard
4  tbsp paprika
2  tsp garlic salt
1  tsp ground ginger
3  tbsp MSG (Accent)

Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl.

Dip chicken pieces in beaten eggs
Then turn them over in regular bread crumbs (commercial)
Finally plunge them in the flour-spices mixture (above)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Place chicken in a tray and cover with foil (shiny side out)
Cook 40 minutes.  
Remove the foil then cook for another 40 minutes
Baste lightly with oil 5 minutes before the end
Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

Purported Coke secret recipe one
This recipe is attributed to a sheet of paper found in an old formulary book owned by Coca-Cola inventor, John S. Pemberton, just before his death (U.S. measures):

1 oz citrate caffeine
3 oz citric acid
1 fl oz extract vanilla
1 qt lime juice
2½ oz flavoring
30 lb (14 kg) sugar
4 fl oz fluid extract of coca (decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf)
2½ gal water
Caramel sufficient
80 Oil orange
40 Oil cinnamon
120 Oil lemon
20 Oil coriander
40 Oil nutmeg
40 Oil neroli
1 qt alcohol
"Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool. Let stand for 24 hours. Flavoring is likely a mixture orange oil, lemon, nutmeg oil, cinnamon oil, coriander oil, neroli oil and 1 quart of alcohol."

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Nov 28 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #118

QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 28 2005, 02:33 PM)

Purported Coke secret recipe one
This recipe is attributed to a sheet of paper found in an old formulary book owned by Coca-Cola inventor, John S. Pemberton, just before his death (U.S. measures):

1 oz citrate caffeine
3 oz citric acid
1 fl oz extract vanilla
1 qt lime juice
2½ oz flavoring
30 lb (14 kg) sugar
4 fl oz fluid extract of coca (decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf)
2½ gal water
Caramel sufficient
80 Oil orange
40 Oil cinnamon
120 Oil lemon
20 Oil coriander
40 Oil nutmeg
40 Oil neroli
1 qt alcohol
"Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool. Let stand for 24 hours. Flavoring is likely a mixture orange oil, lemon, nutmeg oil, cinnamon oil, coriander oil, neroli oil and 1 quart of alcohol."

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

I always thought Coke had some clove in it.

J
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 28 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #119

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) Well written Jake. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smiley_notworthy.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Nov 28 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #120

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Mueller... doesn't the "F" in KFC stand for "Fried"? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:59 PM