Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The $5,000 Type IV?, What would it look like?
chrisg
post Dec 5 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,455
Region Association: None

I think my whole issue is just finding a competent builder (and to be honest I haven't really pursued that yet) as I have no problem buying a kit from Jake, it would be well worth the money. I just lack the time and confidence to do the build.
If I spend $3-4,000 on a kit, I'd rather have it assembled by someone who has already built hundreds or thousands of type4's. Break it in and tune it on a dyno after would be nice too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Dec 5 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #142

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey Guys,

I want to put closure to my recent posts.

My motor builder finally called me this evening.

Quote: By well known Primo Petrucci of Petrucci Racing, custom VW & Type4 motor builder in the Great Lakes MI area.
Here is how he summed up our conversation. I got out of the full time motor building business a little over a year ago. I am now doing work in the tool & die field making a good living for my family. He will do side jobs if someone wants to pay for quality work and he knows them. He said he will sit home & watch TV rather than do work for someone who wants it done cheap. Primo said everyone he knows in the VW Air Cooled field will not service the low end crowd. Custom work with big $$ is the only thing they will consider. Primo said if they can't afford a Porsche they should buy a used subaru. That's what he said (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Summary:
Everything Jake is saying about doing custom work is true. No room for the little guy wanting standard rebuilds cheap or reasonable. It's about vendors making money with deep pocket people who want quality and will pay for it. Looks like the little guy will have to do his own work if on a tight budget.

Tom
BTW
Sorry to give you this news. We are lucky to have Jake Raby.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Dec 5 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 3,061

I'm getting into this discussion too late BUT, I have been rebuilding T4's for about 10 years at my home for our own use and for some teeners in the local area (Atlanta). I have about 40+ hours in a rebuild. That is dissassembling a dirty old engine, cleaning, honing the barrels. That does not include Head work. I always clean and wire brush all the nuts and wire brush the threads. I can't balance at home but I weigh everything and match before assembly. I also run everything up on an engine stand before delivery to check for leaks and to adjust the valves after about 1 hour.
So figure about 45 hours X labor rate. Al
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 5 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #144

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

How many hours would it take for someone experienced to assemble one of Jake's kits into longblock form?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 5 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #145

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Earlier in the thread, both Mark and I figured we could put a motor together for about $2k.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 6 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #146

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 5 2005, 09:52 PM)
Earlier in the thread, both Mark and I figured we could put a motor together for about $2k.

I agree with the Marks. Anyone that wants to prove either one of these guys wrong send them your motor. You won't be disappointed. I can assemble a type IV . But I'm not an engine builder and I'm too busy to hire out my service. The trick is a supply of quality parts in kit form and a good core lower end. I've seen McMark's work in progress. First at the WCC "04" Then at the "05" I like the injection test pipe. Really cool stuff. I don't think McMark knew I was checking out his work (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif) But I was impressed, and I built the Alien... for what it's worth... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Dec 6 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #147

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

QUOTE (Kargeek @ Nov 30 2005, 06:38 PM)
I've been reading this post and the other about Jake's pricing...has anyone considered or had experience with Fat Preformance?

Fat Preformance

These guys have specilized in type IV's for many years and I believe have a good reputation. DH

I had FAT Performance build an engine for me about two years ago. I brought them a crankcase, crankshaft, flywheel and heads from a 2.0 that I bought for $500. They gave back a complete engine. 2.2 liter with webbers, euro headers and a bunch of other stuff I'd have to look up in the shop list. It produced 147 horsepower on the dyno. Of course there was that valve lifter porblem. Twice. They made good on it both times and I have some ceramic lifters for it now and will install them some day. The total came to $7000. I still don't think the webbers are set up just right yet but all in all I have been pretty satisfied with the engine.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 8 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #148

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Well, it's real. Visit the Parts & Resources section for details or click here.

Thanks to Jake for helping make this happen and thanks to Rick for lighting a fire under our asses. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:15 PM