Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The PORSCHE WAVE
Do you guys get it?
Do you guys get it?
often [ 42 ] ** [27.10%]
rarely [ 89 ] ** [57.42%]
never [ 24 ] ** [15.48%]
Total Votes: 155
Guests cannot vote 
turboman808
post Jun 2 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I live in NY. You wave we open fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Naw we are kinda lame and all got sticks up our butts. I do get the ricer glare alot. I do get waves and talk alot to truckers when in traffic but I am odd like that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 2 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #42

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 2 2006, 09:56 AM) *

I am of the opinion that the majority, not all, but the majority of new Porsche owners don't know squat about Porsche's heritage. And they certainly would never guess that the 914 has a pretty solid place in that history.

Most of the newer 911 guys around here are usually too busy sipping their Starbucks & talking on the cell phone to wave to me. They are real performance drivers ya' know.

It's so funny seeing this topic pop up on this board. Back when I used to hang out on corvetteforum.com (mostly when I was rebuilding the '77), every so often there would be a thread where the Corvette guys complain about not getting the wave from C5 (now C6) drivers, yet all the old timers (people who have cars older than theirs) all wave at each other... it got so bad, they started a campaign to "Save the Wave."

Nowadays, I wave at most Porsches and all Corvettes when I'm driving Babydoll, my 911, or the Orange Shark... maybe 50% return the gesture. On the other hand, I always give a thumbs up to street rods and antiques... and those guys almost always reciprocate. I think it's because most of those guys built their rides; they know what it's like to bust their knuckles, and they know how good it feels when they don't have to get greasy any more and can just drive their babies around.
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Jun 2 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

Already been done.... Save the Flash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.pca.org/mst/flash.htm
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Jun 2 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #44

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I get waved at by all the classic rodders. They know it doesn't sound like a ricer.
The last time I took the car out, a deputy Sherriff pulled me over just to see the car. Sombitch skeert the shit out of me with the "Please pull over to the right". My car sets so low I can only see the bumpers of cars in the rear view. His was no exception. I thought someone was pulling a gag on me..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jun 2 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I get waves about 90% of the time from everybody except boxster ( non -S ) owners. The S owners are about 50/50. Hot rods and Ghia's are at 100% and some may chase you down to chat. I passed a boxster and a 911 last time I was out driving. the boxter guy glared and the 911 found the long skinny one to hang with me ( and eventually leave my 90Hp ass on a long straight). boxster guy needs to either find the skinny pedal or smile and wave.
+Quote Post
rcrgrl
post Jun 2 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 5,893

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 2 2006, 10:29 AM) *

On the other hand, I always give a thumbs up to street rods and antiques... and those guys almost always reciprocate. I think it's because most of those guys built their rides; they know what it's like to bust their knuckles, and they know how good it feels when they don't have to get greasy any more and can just drive their babies around.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
eg914
post Jun 2 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 2,223

Doesn't seem like I see very many other Porsches during my commute. One Boxster I see waves most every time we pass. Most other waves are from older Porsches, but are far between. Generally Boxsters and other new P-car drivers don't seem to know what I am.
+Quote Post
nbscooters
post Jun 3 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4,347

I waved a guy in a boxster next to me at the light a few days ago and he acted like his shit didn't stink.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 3 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #49

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

No sooner do I complain about the new Porsche guys than does a guy in a 993 make it a point to get next to me in traffic today just so he could give me a thumbs up. Very cool.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 3 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

914 recognition by other Porsches.....the newer,..the fewer! In their defense, however, they probably didn't see me as they were too busy dialing up and looking cool.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jun 3 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #51

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Beach. Big black Caddy SUV. "Hey what year is that?" "73". "Looks great!" Made my day.

Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Jun 3 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #52

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Member No.: 5,674

I get the wave often, like most said from the older 911's and i even got a couple of waves from the suburu guys

also, i dont know if this counts as a wave, but i was at a burger joint, and when i walked back to my car there was a note under the windshield that read

"Nice car, call me...###-#### -Madylen"
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jun 3 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #53

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I've been clearly aware of an increase in recognition for the 914. I've beeen going to a buncha PCA events and those guys all seem to have had/ still have/ wish they had a 914. It is getting pretty rare to see a good one and althoughsome folks don't recognize 'em, seems almost all Pcar owners around here like mine at least.

LOOOK MOMMY POST 911!!!!
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Jun 3 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #54

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

The past two days I've driven my 914. First day I got the peace sign from a 944 turbo. Today I got a thumbs up from a Suby WRX STI and a guy drove his BMW Z4 accross a large parking lot at my work to say nice car while I was leaving for the day. It makes me smile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) !!!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 4 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #55

Unregistered

Was driving the orange 914 this morning....last chance as it gets picked up for the move to SF tonight. Gotta a wave from a MILF in a ragtop SC....
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 5 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #56

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:20 PM) *

i dont know if this counts as a wave, but i was at a burger joint, and when i walked back to my car there was a note under the windshield that read

"Nice car, call me...###-#### -Madylen"

I know somebody who did this when she spotted a 924 "back in the day." I think her taste in cars has improved somewhat since she has a 914 now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 5 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #57

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 2 2006, 02:46 PM) *

I get waves about 90% of the time from everybody except boxster ( non -S ) owners. The S owners are about 50/50. Hot rods and Ghia's are at 100% and some may chase you down to chat. I passed a boxster and a 911 last time I was out driving. the boxter guy glared and the 911 found the long skinny one to hang with me ( and eventually leave my 90Hp ass on a long straight). boxster guy needs to either find the skinny pedal or smile and wave.

Speaking as a Boxster and 914 owner, I wave all the time. I think maybe you guys just have Boxster-envy... LOL

Rob
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 5 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #58

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

No, I do not get "the wave". I get the stare sometimes though.

Some young kids on bicycles said "look at that little car" the other day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 5 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #59

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881

QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 5 2006, 09:31 PM) *

No, I do not get "the wave". I get the stared sometimes though.

Some young kids on bicycles said "look at that little car" the other day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Toast, your vote shouldn't count! You are better looking than the rest of us so regardless of your car the guys are gonna wave at you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Jun 8 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 3 2006, 08:24 PM) *

The past two days I've driven my 914. First day I got the peace sign from a 944 turbo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) !!!

Back in the day the V-sign meant "Wanna race?" As from a stop light.

I agree with those that think too many people don't know traditions. Back in 50s & 60s it was a sports car thing. Now I don't get flashed, saluted or waved in either P-Car. Well, there was that 356C a coupla years ago....
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:42 AM